• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
A standout. really?

Go to /vp/ for example. Find 1 Tapu Koko thread. There isn't any.

No one talks about Tapu Koko. Is there even a Tapu Koko support thread?

And whether or not a Pokemon is popular now, the game plan was made in 2015. Pokemon Sun and Moon came out late 2016. Depending on the time, Rowlet probably wasn't even publicly revealed.
Smash popularity =/= overall popularity. Greninja was barely talked about before it was revealed and had a very tiny support thread. But it is undeniably the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon And I wasn't even talking about its popularity.

In the game, the story both begins and ends with Tapu Koko, you meet it before you meet your own starter Pokemon. And it is seen, heard or mentioned many times until the of the game where it personally challenges you.

In the Anime, last I saw wanting to beat Tapu Koko in battle is one of Ash's driving forces to getting stronger right now, it has notably taken very special interest in Ash and was the one who gave him both his Z-ring and Electrium Z. He even taught him a few Z-moves.

He was designed to be popular. That's what I meant by it being a standout. Despite being one of four island Guardians, Tapu Koko from the very beginning was a standout and a league above his fellow guardians.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash popularity =/= overall popularity. Greninja was barely talked about before it was revealed and had a very tiny support thread. But it is undeniably the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon And I wasn't even talking about its popularity.

In the game, the story both begins and ends with Tapu Koko, you meet it before you meet your own starter Pokemon. And it is seen, heard or mentioned many times until the of the game where it personally challenges you.

In the Anime, last I saw wanting to beat Tapu Koko in battle is one of Ash's driving forces to getting stronger right now, it has notably taken very special interest in Ash and was the one who gave him both his Z-ring and Electrium Z. He even taught him a few Z-moves.

He was designed to be popular. That's what I meant by it being a standout. Despite being one of four island Guardians, Tapu Koko from the very beginning was a standout and a league above his fellow guardians.
I'm absolutely sure the first thought that came to people's mind when Verg said "It's not Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc" went straight to Incineroar. THEN looked for other options.

Whether or not anyone thinks there are better or different options.

It was the instinctual choice.

Whether or not there IS a gen 7 Pokemon, or whether or not Verg is correct. I think people's instincts are right on this one.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm absolutely sure the first thought that came to people's mind when Verg said "It's not Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc" went straight to Incineroar. THEN looked for other options.

Whether or not there IS a gen 7 Pokemon, or whether or not Verg is correct. I think people's instincts are right on this one.
Since when has people's instinct ever been right in regards to Pokemon in Smash:p

And for the record, I started to think Tapu Koko well before Verg said anything

https://smashboards.com/threads/tapu-koko-stands-on-guard-melemeles-guardian-for-smash.455650/

What do you think about Incineroar being another fire-type / wrestling character? As BluePikmin11 pointed out, we have Bowser and Charizard (Pokemon trainer) already...

In my opinion this must be taken into account by Sakurai, i mean he probably doesnt have full freedom on the choice but at least some.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What do you think about Incineroar being another fire-type / wrestling character? As BluePikmin11 pointed out, we have Bowser and Charizard (Pokemon trainer) already...

In my opinion this must be taken into account by Sakurai, i mean he probably doesnt have full freedom on the choice but at least some.
I think it's what Gamefreak would want.

I don't think Sword users stopped other sword users from being in Smash. So I don't see why a fire based character or a wrestling based character would stop Incineroar.

There isn't really a dedicated wrestler in Smash.

Besides, I don't even want Incineroar. I'm going to be disappointed if he gets in.

Last edited:
I think it's what Gamefreak would want.

I don't think Sword users stopped other sword users from being in Smash. So I don't see why a fire based character or a wrestling based character would stop Incineroar.

There isn't really a dedicated wrestler in Smash.

Besides, I don't even want Incineroar. I'm going to be disappointed if he gets in.
Good point regarding sword users.

I would be kind of disapointed too, i wish they would go with originality to enrich the game but i know popularity and marketing usually gets the upper hand...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think we might need to rethink our prejudice that every Pokémon that gets in Smash has to be a final stage.

If Rowlet is incredibly popular we might get Rowlet, not necessarily Decidueye.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
What I want is Mimikyu.

What I predict... I honestly have no idea. There are so many viable candidates this generation that I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out who, if any, it is.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Vergeben had spoken again in regards to the playable 7th gen Pokemon:

"I heard from one who it is (I'd rather stress it as "might be" since it's only them that heard that it is) before I heard from multiple people that it is not Decidueye (including some that weren't even Smash sources of mine, but for other things, that heard Decidueye isn't in either)
I heard from two Smash sources that it isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu.

I would share who the Gen 7 Pokemon is that I heard, but since it's only coming from one person right now and the others are working on finding out who exactly was chosen, I want to make sure it really is that one before I pull that trigger.
I could just let it be a surprise if I do find out who or it or is definitely the one that I heard, since it might be more fun to let you all have that moment of finding out if no one else leaks it.

But no matter what happens, it's going to be controversial and "disappointing" to its extents since it wasn't the 3 that people would have and were most expecting. But it's Sakurai. I hate to say I trust his judgement when it comes to something like this. But I actually do. "

Source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145/906296074

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
To me it sounds like he isn't confident in his sources and is starting to backtrack on his claims.

As for multiple sources deconfirming Decidueye, I still don't buy it. Once again, look back to Smash 4's DLC period. There was a point in time where there was a huge group of people privileged to who the next DLC characters were. Content creators, streamers, artists, 'trustworthy leakers', etc. were all in on it, and were super confident.

Turns out, they were all wrong. All it takes is one lie, one false piece of information, to spread around. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar situation is unfolding now with these 'sources' Vergeben claims to have. All who heard a lie that originated from the same person.

Or, Vergeben could very well be lying about having sources in the first place, and is hiding behind fake 'sources' to cover his ass for making stuff up the first place.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think I got my hype back now. Haha I'm still cautious tho. When you really think about it, why would the Pokémon newcomer be other than Mimikyu, Decidueye, Incineroar or Lycanroc? Tapu Koko doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai is unpredictable but he's not silly.

As much as I feel some people are personally just dismissing the leak, I still see some good points.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I will share my thoughts on Incineroar's chances here.

I do not deny that Incineroar is a notably promoted Pokemon in that movie and that the anime seems to imply plot-wise that Ash's Torracat will turn into its final-evolution soon, but my biggest beef with Incineroar is the moveset potential. Sakurai from Brawl and onwards has paid close attention to choosing newcomers that have unique traits. With Charizard and Bowser being planned for Ultimate, I fail to see how Incineroar would catch Sakurai's eye. There is the wrestling part of him that makes Incineroar somewhat distinct, but I do not believe the trait alone will be able to make Sakurai meaningfully distinguish him from the veterans I mentioned when constructing a moveset and seeing the Pokemon's concept art.

We already have characters that have a play-style of being a powerful heavyweight using a degree of fire-based attacks. And to a small degree, Bowser is sort of a wrestling type character already with his grappling Side-B and maybe his Down-B. I understand why people would move to predicting Incineroar after Verge's new information, but I have trouble picturing that it would happen for real when considering Sakurai's emphasis on character individuality. It is part of why I feel very sketchy about predicting a Pokemon newcomer that is not Mimikyu, Decidueye, or Lycanroc. No other Pokemon after those choices make much sense to me, when considering the Pokemon criteria Sakurai gave in a Smash 4 interview.
A good assessment. Though, by the same logic, I would say that of the three you mentioned, only Mimikyu brings anything unique to the table. Mimikyu has its disguise ability, which could change things up a bit.

Three Links and Two Pits cover the archery aspect of Decidueye. And Ivysaur covers far more plant moves than Bowser does of wrestling or fire combined.

Nightrock's main gimmick is counter, which too many characters have. Dayrock and Duskrock really only have generic bestial attacks, and probably throwing rocks, and if wrestling moves aren't enough to catch Sakurai's eye, then biting and clawing certainly wont either.

I'm not trying to bring down anyone's support or anything, but realistically, if Incineroar isn't unique enough to be considered, then neither is Decidueye or any of the Lycanrocks.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I voted other so I'll say my prediction is Rowlett (respect the borb!) and my wildcard is Tsareena.

Honorable mention to Gardevoir. Because I still have hope and it stings.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
A good assessment. Though, by the same logic, I would say that of the three you mentioned, only Mimikyu brings anything unique to the table. Mimikyu has its disguise ability, which could change things up a bit.

Three Links and Two Pits cover the archery aspect of Decidueye. And Ivysaur covers far more plant moves than Bowser does of wrestling or fire combined.

Nightrock's main gimmick is counter, which too many characters have. Dayrock and Duskrock really only have generic bestial attacks, and probably throwing rocks, and if wrestling moves aren't enough to catch Sakurai's eye, then biting and clawing certainly wont either.

I'm not trying to bring down anyone's support or anything, but realistically, if Incineroar isn't unique enough to be considered, then neither is Decidueye or any of the Lycanrocks.
How do three Links and two Pits cover the archery aspect of Decidueye? They all share a variation of a single Neutral Special. Firing a bow. Decidueye would offer an entire moveset based around being an avian archer. I don't think Ivysaur holds much weight against Decidueye, either. There's a lot more plant based potential that can be used. That's like saying Greninja takes away from Squirtle or vice-versa since they both use water in their attacks.

Lycanroc could offer a geokinetic moveset unlike anything in Smash, and would be another rare case of a quadrupedal fighter in Smash. Looking at concept art alone probably wouldn't yield too much interest, but looking into what exactly the Pokemon can do may catch Sakurai's eye. Now, I don't see Midday or Midnight getting in, and the best way I see Dusk is if Sakurai put off the Gen VII slot for long enough for Dusk's concept art to be finalized, of if the Pokemon Company came back and pushed for Lycanroc.

As for Incineroar, his concept art shows a lot of personality (Granted, Decidueye's shows just as much), and his wrestling/grappling potential. I don't think having some similarities to Bowser or Charizard would harm his chances much, but I don't think he has any distinctive advantages over the rest. If anything, he could be at a slight disadvantage if he was considered the least interesting of the three.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't believe Vergeben over this whatsoever. I'm very much convinced Decidueye would've been picked for moveset potential and uniqueness with Lycanroc being a close second.

UserKev

Smash Champion

I said this. Hahahahaha There's even how you can sort of control Pit's arrow ranges which give me a sense of how Decidueye's natural B were suppose to work. I understand Decidueye offers uniqueness but with so many semi archers in the game already, you just generally get tired of them, arrows to be specific.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I said this. Hahahahaha There's even how you can sort of control Pit's arrow ranges which give me a sense of how Decidueye's natural B were suppose to work. I understand Decidueye offers uniqueness but with so many semi archers in the game already, you just generally get tired of them, arrows to be specific.
I mean if you boil every character down to generic archetypes then yeah I could see that because uniqueness doesn't exist there but considering characters are so vastly different based on how they use the weapons and abilities they have rather than having unique abilities and weapons I think basing any sort of similarities on superficial visuals is kinda silly. Also we don't have semi archers we have 2 characters who can use one move involving arrows and their cutouts.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If Decidueye is "generic" because there are a few other fighters who use arrows and grass moves, then Incineroar would be even more generic by virtue of being yet another fire-based humanoid brawler. That's all I'll say.

Vergeben had spoken again in regards to the playable 7th gen Pokemon:

"I heard from one who it is (I'd rather stress it as "might be" since it's only them that heard that it is) before I heard from multiple people that it is not Decidueye (including some that weren't even Smash sources of mine, but for other things, that heard Decidueye isn't in either)
I heard from two Smash sources that it isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu.

I would share who the Gen 7 Pokemon is that I heard, but since it's only coming from one person right now and the others are working on finding out who exactly was chosen, I want to make sure it really is that one before I pull that trigger.
I could just let it be a surprise if I do find out who or it or is definitely the one that I heard, since it might be more fun to let you all have that moment of finding out if no one else leaks it.

But no matter what happens, it's going to be controversial and "disappointing" to its extents since it wasn't the 3 that people would have and were most expecting. But it's Sakurai. I hate to say I trust his judgement when it comes to something like this. But I actually do. "

Source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145/906296074
Something feels fishy with that 'leak' ...

Why do smash sources would have info on which Pokemon ISN'T going to be there. In my mind, either they know which one it is or not...

Plus this whole 'I could just let it be a surprise' thing... is either extreme tease or flat out bs, in my opinion.

I have a leak from one of my smash sources!!! It's not going to be Wobbuffet :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
I mean if you boil every character down to generic archetypes then yeah I could see that because uniqueness doesn't exist there but considering characters are so vastly different based on how they use the weapons and abilities they have rather than having unique abilities and weapons I think basing any sort of similarities on superficial visuals is kinda silly. Also we don't have semi archers we have 2 characters who can use one move involving arrows and their cutouts.
No offense if your a Decidueye supporter. Aye, it already has a phenomenon fan following.

If Decidueye is "generic" because there are a few other fighters who use arrows and grass moves, then Incineroar would be even more generic by virtue of being yet another fire-based humanoid brawler. That's all I'll say.
It isn't generic. Just many of the characters on the roster uses arrows enough to where its noticeable. I believe this is where Decidueye loses some of its appeal. I can say tho, if not Mimikyu, I'll gladly take Deci or Lycanroc over ** Zeraora. I'd even take a Ultra Beast over it which I'm also extremely opposed to.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The more I hear about Vergeben the less I'm starting to believe him. It could be anyone at this point but until we get an official confirmation I'm still hoping Decidueye makes it.

It isn't generic. Just many of the characters on the roster uses arrows enough to where its noticeable. I believe this is where Decidueye loses some of its appeal. I can say tho, if not Mimikyu, I'll gladly take Deci or Lycanroc over ** Zeraora. I'd even take a Ultra Beast over it which I'm also extremely opposed to.
As PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate pointed out yesterday, sword users didn't stop other sword users from getting into the game. Originality would be the best choice but from what i understand there are other, more important factors. Popularity and marketing for example. Take Lucario, he was wildy popular in the pokemon fanbase, so that was a no brainer for Brawl, same for Mewtwo back in Melee.

I don't watch the anime anymore and i don't follow the movies neither so it's hard for me to say but there must be one Pokemon way more popular than the others in Gen 7 games/anime/movies/promotional material. Whichever it is, i'd put my money on that one.

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
In terms of what I expect to happen: There will be no base roster Pokemon added (save for Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle in a way), however we will get a Gen 8 representative as DLC.
However, my main choice until recently? Eevee was going to be the newcomer. And I still hold out hope that the little guy can make it in as DLC as a way of representing Gen 7 (which technically includes the Let's Go! series). I think they can do some neat things with Eevee and all the Eeveelutions, and I think Eevee has a strong presence in Pokemon history.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In terms of what I expect to happen: There will be no base roster Pokemon added (save for Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle in a way), however we will get a Gen 8 representative as DLC.
However, my main choice until recently? Eevee was going to be the newcomer. And I still hold out hope that the little guy can make it in as DLC as a way of representing Gen 7 (which technically includes the Let's Go! series). I think they can do some neat things with Eevee and all the Eeveelutions, and I think Eevee has a strong presence in Pokemon history.
Eevee is a Poke Ball Pokemon so it's not getting in.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As I stated several times with Vergeben, he does get some things right and then there are some aspects which are quite questionable.

Anyways, when Vergeben mentioned "controversial" and "disappointing." The most obvious reason is most likely to be an unexpected Pokemon in which no-one would've imagined to be playable ahead of Decidueye, Lycanroc and Mimikyu.

But for me, I kept thinking what if they pick something that is out of the blue for example Lusamine fused with Nilhego (not that I see as a likely choice.)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
No offense if your a Decidueye supporter. Aye, it already has a phenomenon fan following.

I'm actually not a fan. In fact I actually really disliked Gen 8 and would rather not see a Pokemon from it. Still I just think it's silly to write off characters because they have a similar arsenal. It's not what you have, just how you use it.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Something feels fishy with that 'leak' ...

Why do smash sources would have info on which Pokemon ISN'T going to be there. In my mind, either they know which one it is or not...

Plus this whole 'I could just let it be a surprise' thing... is either extreme tease or flat out bs, in my opinion.
Lol. My thoughts exactly!

How would multiple sources even confirm that specifically those 3 pokemon aren't the newcomers. How did that deconfirmation process even take place?

It's all just weird and seems fake. I think this Verge's guy's 5 mins are about to end. :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm actually not a fan. In fact I actually really disliked Gen 8 and would rather not see a Pokemon from it. Still I just think it's silly to write off characters because they have a similar arsenal. It's not what you have, just how you use it.
As I said, Decidueye is my lost resort for a gen 7 newcomer. If not Mimikyu, its Incineroar, Deci or none. Decidueye is still in Pokken so I'm not cool with it also being in Smash. Different fighting games, more variety of Pokémon.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Eevee is a Poke Ball Pokemon so it's not getting in.
I know. But if Waluigi supporters can hold out hope for him, I can hold out hope for Eevee. But like I said, I don't expect a Pokemon to show up until it's DLC time.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I feel there should be a none option in the above poll, as that is what I'm going with. I predict there won't be a playable Gen 7 Pokémon in SSB.

It's funny how I've seen plenty of people suggest, due to limited amount of newcomers expected, that we won't get a retro or oddball newcomer this time around whilst insisting we'll get definitely get a Pokémon newcomer. I think the opposite, believing we're unlikely to get a Pokémon newcomer in the base roster (though perhaps an Echo).

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I feel there should be a none option in the above poll, as that is what I'm going with. I predict there won't be a playable Gen 7 Pokémon in SSB.

It's funny how I've seen plenty of people suggest, due to limited amount of newcomers expected, that we won't get a retro or oddball newcomer this time around whilst insisting we'll get definitely get a Pokémon newcomer. I think the opposite, believing we're unlikely to get a Pokémon newcomer in the base roster (though perhaps an Echo).
Pokemon is massively popular and would generate far far more interest in the game than a forgotten or unknown character would. It's still possible to not get a Pokemon fighter, but it would make more sense to assume one would make it in than a Retro/Obscure character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How many humanoid brawlers are there in Smash?

Top Bottom