• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Everyone is speculating the obvious choices like Tapu Koko, Lycanroc, Decidueye, and Incineroar.

Sakurai tends to be unpredictable. If I were to guess, I'd go with Golisopod or Type: Null/Silvally. Both are utilized by important characters in the story of Sun and Moon, could bring in very unique movesets and playstyles, and were very well received Pokemon with a lot of fans.(Though this likely didn't play part in the decision behind the potential Pokemon rep)

I'm personally hoping for Golisopod, simply because it's super fitting for the roster. It could be a heavyweight Pokemon, which only Charizard is currently a heavyweight fighter for the Pokemon series. It's design is based on Samurais, and has a moveset that could easily translate over to Smash. Aqua Jet could be it's up special, First Impression could be a close range side special with a stunning effect, Sucker Punch could be turned into a counter for it's down special, and it's standard special could be Pin Missile as a projectile, or it could even take Charizard's old down special being Rock Smash. Obvious final smash would be the Bug-type Z-Move, Savage Spin-Out.
Golisopod is definitely a Pokemon I can get behind! One of the coolest designs from Gen 7, in my opinion. That being said, I'm mostly hoping for Pheromosa, although any Ultra Beast would excite me, haha.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Am I the only one still hoping for Sceptile, the only grass mon that can keep up with Captain Falcon and Fox?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Am I the only one still hoping for Sceptile, the only grass mon that can keep up with Captain Falcon and Fox?
I’m not hoping, but I certainly would appreciate it. If we’re gonna get Pokémon, I’d rather it be a pick that I know can stand the test of time (because it already did).

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I’m not hoping, but I certainly would appreciate it. If we’re gonna get Pokémon, I’d rather it be a pick that I know can stand the test of time (because it already did).
This is why I like smashboards. On here people look at characters from every aspect, even those that tend to be overlooked. On sites like reddit and gameFAQs, everyone has a large amount of bias toward ‘flavor of the month’ inclusions that have yet to prove themselves. For pokemon that means lasting more than one generation (unfortunately most couldn’t do that outside of gen one) and the fact that Sceptile has lasted 5 generations says a lot. Even the pokemon company has acknowledged that staying power that he has with the Leaf Charge Theme Deck that released about a month ago (here at least, think it was earlier in Japan)

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Incineroar is who I want but others I see as possible choices... at least in my eyes are...

Zeraora
Eevee
Decidueye
*completely new pokemon from the next generation*
Team Rocket (works like Pokemon trainer but uses Meowth and 2 others)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I legitimately think it will be Team Rocket or Eevee.
Call it wishful thinking, but they are the best promotional characters now (and always).

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Call it wishful thinking, but they are the best promotional characters now (and always).
Incineroar is who I want but others I see as possible choices... at least in my eyes are...

Zeraora
Eevee
Decidueye
*completely new pokemon from the next generation*
Team Rocket (works like Pokemon trainer but uses Meowth and 2 others)
Eevee is already revealed as a Pokeball Pokemon.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
People are saying Eevee, who was already confirmed as a pokeball, is more likely than Sceptile? Jeez, can this make any less sense?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Call me crazy but I think there is a very real and legitimate chance that maybe for once we don't get a new Pokemon character. If I'm being honest, I don't think we are in dire need of another one either, I mean... there's 9 of them.]
I'm not saying they don't deserve it or that we're most likely not getting one... just that we don't need one and it's possible.

That said, my money is on Decidueye. Call it a hunch. I could also see Blaziken getting in as a Fiery Lucario echo, or maybe even Gardevoir.

But my opinion probably doesn't mean much, i've been kinda out of touch with pokemon as of gen 7.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Oh I forgot to actually do a write up as well.

Most Likely
Incineroar - Highly expressive concept artwork. Anime importance. Decent popularity.
Lycanroc - Lackluster concept artwork. Anime importance. High popularity. Special form.

Less Likely
Gardevoir - Highly popular 3rd Gen pokemon. That leak.
Rowlet - Highly (the highest) popular and anime importance.
Decidueye - High Smash speculation popularity, lower everywhere else though across the board
Sceptille - Highly popular 3rd Gen pokemon. No leak but had a Smash following for a bit.

Low Chance
Everyone else. Oricorio and Golisopod are low chance sleepers though. One can rep all 4 islands and the other was planned early and is Guzma's signature Pokemon. And let's be honest, Guzma was a success.

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
People are saying Eevee, who was already confirmed as a pokeball, is more likely than Sceptile? Jeez, can this make any less sense?
They may still be thinking that Eevee could make it in as DLC, as Eevee has always held an important position in Pokemon (the anime, the games, the marketing, etc.).
However Sceptile was important to the Anime for some time, they've just received a boost in Pokken, and Gen 3 still hasn't received a primary fighter. I'd say Sceptile probably has as much a chance as Gardevoir or Incineroar, really, and may have more of a chance than my next most-wanted Pokemon Gengar!

Also: Of course it can make less sense! It can always make less sense! Like... what if the new Pokemon fighter was Sandygast, everyone's favorite Sand Heap Pokemon? Or Parasect? Who doesn't like Parasect? Or they may just make the new fighter Detective Pikachu- not as an echo, but as a completely different fighter who looks exactly like one of Pikachu's alt costumes? Or what if during the next Nintendo Direct Sakurai said "Remember when I said 'Everyone is Here'? I didn't mean it. There is only going to be one Pokemon and it will be Magcargo. OK, bye now".
Remember Sceptile: Things can always get worse.

Machete

Smash Ace
I am convinced it'll be Incineroar, which I kinda hate, since Necrozma or Buzzwole, or just about anyone else, I'd like far more.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I want to ask what are the chances of Type: Null as a newcomer? It's not one of my personal picks for a Pokemon but I haven't seen anyone discuss it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we get a new trainer character, how about a villain? A Rocket Grunt with "evil" pokemon (poison, ghost, dark types). Or even a Gym Leader?

That's probably not gonna happen, but it would be cool.
If we ever get a Team Rocket character, I honestly believe it will be Jessie and James with Meowth, Ekans/Arbok, and Koffing/Weezing, and maybe Wobbuffet instead of a generic Rocket Grunt or Giovanni. They have had 20 years of exposure due to the anime that the general public should be more likely to recognize them than Giovanni.

People are seriously sleeping on Team Rocket. I believe the “no anime characters” rule is discouraging people from supporting Team Rocket.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
People are seriously sleeping on Team Rocket. I believe the “no anime characters” rule is discouraging people from supporting Team Rocket.
Well Jessie and James were in the games before they were in the anime, correct? Even if they were mentioned as "Rocket Grunt X"? Either way, I definitely think that eventually we'll get a Team Rocket character with Jessie and James skins.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That leak didn’t end up holding up because it pretty much said Simon wouldn’t be playable, and it included the literal least likely pokemon from gen 5 as an echo.
It's possible that Simon's data was scrubbed out of that demo.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I consider it most likely we dont get new pokemon. But the one i'd want the most would be Primarina. The moveset would be great and the troll would be fantastic.
Lol lol here's your starter. It's super popular, the most of gen 7.

People are seriously sleeping on Team Rocket
Didn't Meowth get confirmed as a pokeball?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Didn't Meowth get confirmed as a pokeball?
Yeah, and I am not letting that discourage me from supporting Meowth.

Ridley as an Adventure Mode boss and a stage hazard didn’t discourage his fans and their dedication eventually paid off. Why should it discourage me or anyone else from supporting Meowth?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's possible that Simon's data was scrubbed out of that demo.
I don't know what I wanna ask more: "Why delete Simon's data but not Richter's" or "Why the Pokemon Company would want to try and make Gothitelle popular right now when Go is focused on adding gen 4 and Let's Go is gen 1-focused"

It may be wishful thinking on my part too but i think Team Rocket is very possible. Game Freak as always been smart about their marketing (to my knowledge) and with Pokemon Let's Go coming out in november i wouldn't be surprised if they would push for Team Rocket inclusion in Ultimate for marketing purposes.

Plus there's this whole hero vs villain thing going on (we don't really know if it's an official 'thing'). Even if it is not an 'official thing' there are clearly a bigger ratio of villain newcomers so far than in previous smash games. No character would fit more as PT arch-enemy than Team Rocket imo.

The only argument against Team Rocket i've seen so far is that it would be too much work for one character (because of the ''3 in 1''/Pokemon trainerish mechanics). Tbh i don't understand this argument, if PT is possible why another character with the same mechanics wouldn't be?

I'm not sure the 'no anime characters' rule (fan made rule) really applies to Jesse & James, sure they were introduced in the anime but they were part of the story back in Pokemon Yellow and they are to feature again soon in Pokemon Let's Go. And as you said, it could also be a generic TR Grunt or Giovanni (tho that would probably diminish Meowth chances imo, Grunts and Giovianni don't use Meowth in the games, correct me if i'm wrong). I think you are right and people sleep on their chances.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It may be wishful thinking on my part too but i think Team Rocket is very possible. Game Freak as always been smart about their marketing (to my knowledge) and with Pokemon Let's Go coming out in november i wouldn't be surprised if they would push for Team Rocket inclusion in Ultimate for marketing purposes.

Plus there's this whole hero vs villain thing going on (we don't really know if it's an official 'thing'). Even if it is not an 'official thing' there are clearly a bigger ratio of villain newcomers so far than in previous smash games. No character would fit more as PT arch-enemy than Team Rocket imo.

The only argument against Team Rocket i've seen so far is that it would be too much work for one character (because of the ''3 in 1''/Pokemon trainerish mechanics). Tbh i don't understand this argument, if PT is possible why another character with the same mechanics wouldn't be?

I'm not sure the 'no anime characters' rule (fan made rule) really applies to Jesse & James, sure they were introduced in the anime but they were part of the story back in Pokemon Yellow and they are to feature again soon in Pokemon Let's Go. And as you said, it could also be a generic TR Grunt or Giovanni (tho that would probably diminish Meowth chances imo, Grunts and Giovianni don't use Meowth in the games, correct me if i'm wrong). I think you are right and people sleep on their chances.
We only have 3 villains so far. Two of them are highly requested characters and the third is a clone.

We only have 3 villains so far. Two of them are highly requested characters and the third is a clone.
Just to clarify, i was talking about the villains/total newcomers ratio.

Villain/ total newcomers ratio:
1. Ultimate: 3/8 (0,375)
2. Brawl: 4/18 (0,222)
3. Melee : 2/14 (0,143)
4. Sm4sh: 2/21 (0,095)

Tbh i'm not sure this is an official 'thing' (as i previously mentionned) but there is a tendency towards it. If i understand your point correctly, newcomers need to be either highly requested or clones. That's a fair point to consider but i'm not sure these are the only 2 factors that make a newcomer possible. I guess only time will tell ;)

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I wish it was a thing, always thought Smash was lacking in the villains department. thought it's gotten better.
But I think some leaker may have just mistaken the art made for K. Rool's trailer as some kind of theme for the game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If we ever get a Team Rocket character, I honestly believe it will be Jessie and James with Meowth, Ekans/Arbok, and Koffing/Weezing, and maybe Wobbuffet instead of a generic Rocket Grunt or Giovanni. They have had 20 years of exposure due to the anime that the general public should be more likely to recognize them than Giovanni.

Dude, we get it. You want Team Rocket and Meowth in Smash. Jesus.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Actually now that I think about it, the only thing could make anyone rage quit in pokemon was Blue after you finished a cave and he would just be waiting with his smirk: “just barely made it out of that cave? would be a shame if someone were to challenge you to a battle...”

I wish it was a thing, always thought Smash was lacking in the villains department. thought it's gotten better.
But I think some leaker may have just mistaken the art made for K. Rool's trailer as some kind of theme for the game.
I agree. It's probably nothing but it's safe to assume we'll get more since Shadow and Skull Kid seem likely candidates at this point. Anyway i feel like i'm derailling the thread a bit here with this hero vs villain thing. :joyful:

Actually now that I think about it, the only thing could make anyone rage quit in pokemon was Blue after you finished a cave and he would just be waiting with his smirk: “just barely made it out of that cave? would be a shame if someone were to challenge you to a battle...”
Lol. What a jerk! Worst, he ambushes you inside the Pokemon Center ''Hey! Seems like your Pokemon needs some medical care? How about i show you how strong mine are?'' :p

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Predict?

No Pokémon rep this time around.

Want?

Buzzwole is the only Pokémon that matters, so obviously gonna go with him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dude, we get it. You want Team Rocket and Meowth in Smash. Jesus.
Do you really get it?

Do you get why I am very vocal about Team Rocket and Meowth this time?

Because I don't see a second "we" in your post.

"We" are the Smash community.
"We" rallied behind Ridley.
"We" rallied behind King K. Rool.
"We" are rallying behind Waluigi now.
But "we" are not rallying behind Team Rocket and Meowth.

Have you noticed how I am quietly supporting Banjo-Kazooie and Skull Kid and Isaac?

Because "we" are rallying behind Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, and Isaac that I don't need to be very vocal about them like I am with Team Rocket and Meowth.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Team Rocket is also a prominent part of the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon storyline, being one of the most promoted aspects of those games.
Combined with the evergreen nature of Meowth, I think they would make sense. That said, 3-in-1 does not fit the personality of Team Rocket at all. Meowth does not make sense to fight on his own given the nature of the character, and it would be more feasible to me for them to have one moveset based around cheating tactics. C'mon Wobuffet for best counter in the game!

It is not a "rule" that says, 'no anime characters,' it is a matter of where from a character originates, according to Sakurai.

Last edited:
C'mon Wobuffet for best counter in the game!
lol. Can't argue with that, :202: is one of my favorite :p

That said, 3-in-1 does not fit the personality of Team Rocket at all. Meowth does not make sense to fight on his own given the nature of the character,
When i joined smashboards i created this 'character concept' for Team Rocket Grunt (don't judge it too harshly it was just for fun :p), i was thinking 3 in 1 as something like: Ratatat (small), Grimer (mid), Arbok (heavy). It was a way to ''echo'' the balance between the 3 that PT has (without being an echo fighter, just the concept of small, mid, heavy).

it would be more feasible to me for them to have one moveset based around cheating tactics
I had this idea that goes a lil' with your idea of 'cheating tactics' it was to introduce a poison mechanic in their moveset so that Pokemon attack pattern would be more 'hit and run'. It's detailed in the Team Rocket Grunt thread if you want to check it out.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Find in page: Tapu Koko
1 result

From a quote from the last page

It astounds me just how much people are sleeping on this Pokemon

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Do you really get it?

Do you get why I am very vocal about Team Rocket and Meowth this time?

Because I don't see a second "we" in your post.

"We" are the Smash community.
"We" rallied behind Ridley.
"We" rallied behind King K. Rool.
"We" are rallying behind Waluigi now.
But "we" are not rallying behind Team Rocket and Meowth.

Have you noticed how I am quietly supporting Banjo-Kazooie and Skull Kid and Isaac?

Because "we" are rallying behind Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, and Isaac that I don't need to be very vocal about them like I am with Team Rocket and Meowth.
This honestly.
I would maybe have Meowth in my top 3-5 instead but just due to how overlooked he is, I had to put him at number 1, even above my favourite Pokemon because I shouldn't even have had to do this to make him more requested. Geno only appeared in one game as a side character and a cameo and people rally for him, Meowth is a long time presence in the Pokemon series, how is it not more acceptable to request the other too? Is it because of the standards for requests the Smash speculation community has set? Not saying I dislike him he's a cool character but like come on, be logical.

Anyway what I am hoping for is they go back to what they did in Brawl and introduce an older gen Mon/Character too instead of one mostly for marketing the new generation. I think they deserve representation but I don't like the mindset of it having to always be: New Smash game, new gen Mon only for newcomer. For the ones that haven't been confirmed for Pokeball, my prime choice would be Gardevoir, but there's other decent picks.
I do however predict it will be a new generation Pokemon, but there's a chance they could throw an older one too.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
This honestly.
I would maybe have Meowth in my top 3-5 instead but just due to how overlooked he is, I had to put him at number 1, even above my favourite Pokemon because I shouldn't even have had to do this to make him more requested. Geno only appeared in one game as a side character and a cameo and people rally for him, Meowth is a long time presence in the Pokemon series, how is it not more acceptable to request the other too? Is it because of the standards for requests the Smash speculation community has set? Not saying I dislike him he's a cool character but like come on, be logical.

Anyway what I am hoping for is they go back to what they did in Brawl and introduce an older gen Mon/Character too instead of one mostly for marketing the new generation. I think they deserve representation but I don't like the mindset of it having to always be: New Smash game, new gen Mon only for newcomer. For the ones that haven't been confirmed for Pokeball, my prime choice would be Gardevoir, but there's other decent picks.
I do however predict it will be a new generation Pokemon, but there's a chance they could throw an older one too.
*ahem* Sceptile lizard revolt intensifies*

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm either predicting Incineroar or Gardevior going on how Sakurai's trends of including characters and Gardevior's massive popularity worldwide. (Plus the lack of a Poke Ball)

Last edited:
Top Bottom