• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Some recent news of Vergeben came up regarding a certain Pokemon newcomer not being included in this game:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145/906230784

Since you people keep bugging me and tagging me for Smash Ultimate info constantly today, I'll leave you a morsel to speculate over.
Decidueye isn't the Gen 7 Pokémon character.
With this recent news, who do you predict will be this game's Pokemon newcomer? Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Incineroar? Or are you firm on the decision of predicting Decidueye?

Let me know your opinion. In-depth thoughts on each possible PKMN candidate would be appreciated. Right now, for me at least, this is an exciting time for speculation.

Personally, I am betting on Lycanroc. And I have an in-depth analysis here to explain my decision:

After researching Sakurai’s criteria on Pokemon again, I have realized that Decidueye actually is not the frontrunner candidate for the next Pokemon newcomer. Who will be chosen will be based on combination of factors. While Decidueye has huge popularity in the Pokemon fanbase and gameplay potential, there is one factor he misses that is crucial for his inclusion, this part in particular:

“Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.

Decidueye has not become a central Pokemon and has been less promoted in the anime. As of Sun/Moon anime's new episodes, Ash’s Rowlet has not evolved into Decidueye, as his current role in the anime is mostly for gags. The one that actually has become central to the anime and marketing in general is Lycanroc:

Lycanroc has become one of Ash’s primary partners in the anime recently, whose current bond strongly parallels to 6th generation's Greninja. Outside of that medium, his pre-evolution/other forms have been promoted frequently in Sun and Moon via video games, being the first Pokemon to appear in a new trading card mechanic called GX, prominence in the manga, and merchandise. Sakurai has likely done heavy marketing research for Sun/Moon around the time of project planning. Such marketing would have been planned out in advance by The Pokémon Company. TPC would have made Lycanroc to be the most important Pokemon they want Sakurai to pay attention to way back in 2015, giving concept art of the Pokemon's Midday and Midnight form to use for reference.

Lycanroc also has solid move-set potential, wielding the powers of levitating rocks. He is an earth-bender of sorts in Avatar terms, which is very distinct when compared to the current in Smash 4. Since Midnight Lycanroc is the most popular out of its three forms, I will be discussing its play-style in that specific form. Looking at Midnight Lycanroc’s Pokedex information, it acts quite recklessly and craves for victory, provoking opponents and using close combat when nearby. Lycanroc plays as a fighter who utilizes rock powers in melee for a bait-and-attack play-style. The many other forms of Lycanroc like Dusk and Midday can work too if Sakurai wants to have the Pokemon focus on a ranged-attack bait-and-attack play-style. The choices Sakurai has with Lycanroc would provide enough gameplay potential for Sakurai to play around with.

I personally believe now Lycanroc will be the next and only Pokemon newcomer chosen for Smash. While it would be ideal for the roster to get Lycanroc & Decidueye, I feel that only one spot will remain open, in the same way only one spot was open for one new X/Y Pokemon way back in Smash 4’s project plan,. With Lycanroc having the advantage of being more promoted in several mediums like the anime more than Decidueye way back, It would not matter how distinct Decidueye would be because without that combination of benefits Lycanroc has, he will not make it in. Lycanroc is one of those Pokemon has become central to Sun/Moon from S/M's pre-release to now. I feel firmly confident that Lycanroc will be playable over Decidueye.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm torn between Incineroar or Mimikyu. they've both got great chances to me, but I feel like Incineroar might get in because of it's more conventional fighting style. I'd still love Mimikyu though!

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna go for a left field choice.

We are getting no new Pokemon reps at all this time.

Not only did Pokemon Trainer and Pichu come back, but we also have the "not as many new fighters" limitation and the Fighter Ballot results being used for Ultimate.

Sakurai probably wants to focus his attention on adding newcomers that placed high in the ballot or have been highly requested in the past. (EX: K. Rool, Waddle Dee, Geno, Isaac, etc.)

Last edited:

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice

Not only did Pokemon Trainer and Pichu come back, but we also have the "not as many new fighters" limitation and the Fighter Ballot results being used for Ultimate.

Sakurai probably wants to focus his attention on adding newcomers that placed high in the ballot or have been highly requested in the past. (EX: K. Rool, Waddle Dee, Geno, Isaac, etc.)
If Vergeben is to be believed, we will be getting a gen 7 pokemon character, just not Decidueye. I would personally prefer a base roster full of ballot/fan favorite picks while the DLC is used to bring the game up to date and thus using a Gen 8 rep as DLC rather than a Gen 7 rep in the base game, but Pokemon is absolutely huge all over the world and no smash game has ever not had at least one new Pokemon character.

It's probably going to be Lycanroc because of the anime prominence but I'd love Golispod or Buzzwole myself.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145?jumpto=83#83

Look further down

He confirmed we will get a gen seven playable

Lycanroc or incinoroar easily

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I also think that we are getting no new Pokemon reps. We're getting three Pokemon back from older games and more highly requested characters may be prioritized, like you said.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
There are so many options you're sleeping on. There are two I want to share, but there are so many fun options that shouldn't be overlooked. Remember, back before it's reveal, Greninja didn't even have a support thread!

Tapu Koko one shares a prominant anime role, being a mentorship figure to Ash. It also has a unique physiological niche being based on a bird. It is one of the most important Pokemon in the actual game, which I think counts for a fair bit given that SM are story focused games. It has several options for a moveset: a rage-based mechanic (as Tapu Koko is relentlessly violent if it is disturbed), terraforming (it generates electric fields as its ability) or a speed-based mechanic (as the PokeDex mentions it confuses its opponents by being faster than them).

Nihilego shares similar gameplay signficance due to being an Ultra Beast. You also have unique gameplay options based on being a parasite, with mind control being central to its gameplay due to being a neurotoxin. It's abduction of Lusamine also makes it the closest we have to a Pokemon villain in our selection. Like Lycanroc, you also have terraforming due to being a Rock-type.

Magearna would be interesting too with a Steel-type moveset. Given it's signature move, Fleur Cannon, it would probably be heavily based on projectiles. Marshadow would be cool as well, being a CQC character that would probably play like you guys envision Mimikyu would. Silvally has a type-changing mechanic that would probably give it so many different options for moves.

I really don't see Lycanroc or Mimikyu working. Neither possesses a way of grabbing items due to a lack of arms (Ivysaur makes it work due to vines, while Duck Hunt is bipedal as well). Mimikyu has the other problem of not being able to grab ledges due to a lack of feet. They're cool ideas, but I don't see them working, especially as we know basic gameplay is important to Sakurai for things to work (the key example being his dismissal of Excitebiker due to his inability to jump, even though he could just use his feet and step off the pedals). We can create ways for these characters to work around these obstacles, but they're still basic design obstacles unique to them that other options don't have.

Market research will be more mportant this time in my opinion, as the release date for the first Alola games is much further from Ultimate's release date than X/Y was from Smash 4.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Mimikyu is really the only plausible Pokemon that i'd be excited for. I think it's one of the more likely picks, too.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
If we were going to get a Gen 7 Pokemon, Mimikyu has received so much promotion from Game Freak and has such a notable presence in the games and anime that I can't be surprised if GF was intending for this to be the obvious face of the generation and the stand-out choice for Smash right from the beginning. This happened with Greninja, after all.

Though I'm 50/50 on whether we'll even get a Gen 7 rep at all. We may just get a Gen 8 rep as DLC instead since Sakurai's already spent dev time building 2 Pokemon veterans from the ground-up and a clone (not an Echo, mind you). Sakurai may instead want to focus the fanservice on other series as much as possible, no matter what Game Freak may have told him. It's the same reason why I doubt we'll get both a unique K. Rool and even a semi-clone Dixie together in the base game.

Yeah yeah, I've heard what Vergeben said but I'm never 100% sold on any leaker just on principle.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Easily Mimikyu. Its execution as a Pokemon was intentionally centered around making it popular. The marketing and promotion, the backstory, the anime - it makes a lot of sense. The Pokemon Company probably told Sakurai of its intention to make Mimikyu popular, or at least let him in on the backstory. I feel he’d know if a certain Pokemon was going to be pushed.

D

Deleted member

If DasVergeben is right which 50/50 I'm thankful for the news if it's anything hope it's Lycanroc. I love it's midday form, but I'd hope Dusk form would be what it appears as if it gets in That thing looks awesome!

Incineroar is great and I'd love it in!

If it's Mimikyu would welcome it with open arms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
I really don't see Lycanroc or Mimikyu working. Neither possesses a way of grabbing items due to a lack of arms (Ivysaur makes it work due to vines, while Duck Hunt is bipedal as well). Mimikyu has the other problem of not being able to grab ledges due to a lack of feet. .
Except Mimikyu does have arms:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Don't know why everyone's believeing Vergeben so doubtlessly. We go through this every single time, at least Gematsu predicted something that no one would have guessed (namely WFT) and that leak was still far from wholly accurate. Anyway, I'm also going to go ahead and second the notion that we're not getting any Pokémon at launch, as for later, we'll have to see. (But if we're getting any at launch I'd have to guess Decidueye)

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
It's honestly impossible to guess with any certainty. Decidueye seems like an incredibly obvious choice. So does Lycanroc. Thing is, even the obvious choice might not happen. I remember back when people were saying "Deoxys is for suuure gonna be in Brawl!" and haha. We've gotten characters that are heavily marketed and involved in the animation, that's what we have to work with. My toothpick in the dark guess is Lycanroc, since we have no earth manipulators in the roster and I think Sakurai would be interested in working on him. Mimikyu would be really awesome and I'd honestly be most excited for the ghost/fairy more than any other.

D

Deleted member

You are correct and nothing is set in stone. Your advice is right, I'm 50/50 on believing him but we'll see.

Regardless if it's not Decidueye I'm happy about whatever gets in.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
IMO it is Lycanroc or Mimikyu.

While Incineroar or Tapu Koko have importance and relevancy, they suffer from less popularity and less interesting movesets imo. While Incineroar has the whole heel wrestler vibe, that does not make him pop. He kind of comes off as generic. As for Tapu Koko, its moveset does not pop for me either.

Lycanroc and Mimikyu both have things that could make for interesting gimmicks. Mimikyu with its disguise gimmick would be an interesting fit. Also Lycanroc has the gimmick of an earth fighter.

D

Deleted member

To the Mimikyu, and Lycanroc supporters if ether gets in they deserve it. Support them both I do. Sorry I didn't see that sooner I do like both Pokemon would be happy to have them.

Incineroar as well!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am gonna put my money on Incineroar. It got a role in one of the movies, a major debut in the anime (the same Incineroar even returned in a later episode, and that probably won't be the last we will see of it), and it's fairly possible that Ash's Torracat will evolve to match its rival. It's also Masuda's favorite gen 7 pokemon, which I think helps its chances.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
In terms of want:
Decidueye > Mimikyu > Lycanroc > Incineroar

In terms of likeliness however:
Lycanroc > Incineroar > Mimikyu > Decidueye

No offence to their fans but I dislike both Incineroar and Lycanroc

D

Deleted member

I'm going to enjoy this stuff from the sidelines. Whatever it is I'll try to main it.

You guys have a good night if the information is true hope it's a Pokemon you want.

If it's nothing or we don't get a new Pokemon rep. Then DasVergeben's information might as well be all lies at that point, and we don't need to pay him, anymore mind.

Gamefaqs are hilarious their responses to all this, is great. Good on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Vergeben has just said that the Gen 7 Pokemon isn't Lycanroc or Mimikyu.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I do completely and honestly believe we won’t get a newcomer this time around.

However, I do believe Vergeben is the real deal, so I guess I might be wrong? I can only see Mimikyu getting in. (Man, Decidueye really did suffer from people hyping him as basically confirmed, you rarely see anybody talking about him anymore)

Edit:
Vergeben has just said that the Gen 7 Pokemon isn't Lycanroc or Mimikyu.
Link?

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Thing is, even the obvious choice might not happen. I remember back when people were saying "Deoxys is for suuure gonna be in Brawl!" and haha.
This is an interesting point for the "no new Pokemon rep" argument, and presents a fact that everyone's overlooking. Not every Pokemon generation gets a rep. Pichu doesn't really count for Gen II, given that he was a clone character added late in development to pad the roster quickly. Gen III and V still don't have anything. There's no guarantee that Gen VII will have a rep.

Not focusing on Vergeben's credibility or the credibility of leakers in general, his statement is a little ambiguous. "Decidueye isn't the Gen 7 Pokémon character." He technically didn't say that a Gen VII character in the game. All that certainly means is that Decidueye isn't a character, but that doesn't mean that any Gen VII character is in, either. It could mean that all he knows is that Decidueye isn't playable, but he doesn't know what Gen VII character is, if any.

I'm still going on the prediction that Ultimate is about highly-requested characters (likely based on the ballot), not necessarily new ones. E.g., Mega Man, Cloud, Daisy, and Ridley. This is important given how few characters we're getting, so there isn't much room for disappointment. The ballot concluded in 2015, and the project plan for Ultimate was finished in December that year. I don't think Lycanroc was hotly requested during the ballot.

I could be totally wrong, of course, but this is just my inference.

That said, if there is a Gen VII character, I can see why Decidueye might not be the selection for a rep. Lucario and Greninja were both significant in the anime, and Lucario was also a little unique in the game. Decidueye is just a cool Pokemon and a starter, but otherwise not significant. Mimikyu would probably be more likely.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Latest info from Vergeben on GameFAQs says it's not Lycanroc or Mimikyu either...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well ****, who is it then?

It’d be hilarious if after so much Smash speculation revolving around the big three (Decidueye/Lycanroc/Mimikyu), it ended up being Incineroar, or Primarina, or someone else nobody expected.

Maybe the Alolan version of somebody?

I can think of so few possibilities that I’m going to stick to my guns and say there is no new Pokémon.
Yeah. I'm still thinking that we won't be getting a new Pokemon.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
So assuming Verg is/was credible, it's more than likely Incineroar, unless he's just trolling at this point. Buzzwole would be a fun joke character too.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Tapu Koko is in my opinion the most likely Gen 7 Pokemon as of right now, with Lycanroc and Mimikyu right behind.

I'm hesitant to trust the most recent Vergenben comments, sounds more like a desperate plea of attention honestly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If I had to put my money on someone it'd be Tapu Koko, although I don't want to underestimate the anime's influence and count Incineroar out I think Tapu Koko had a far more significant presence in S/M's early days, it was used a lot in marketing and the games' story literally start and end with it. Rolling the clock back to late 2015/early 2016 I could see Game Freak pushing for it to make it into Smash, and I think there's value in putting it in over a starter as everyone who plays S/M will meet it in some form.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I do not take Vergeben's words too seriously. He may have been correct about some things regarding Smash Ultimate and a few other games, sure, but his record is far from spotless. He's gotten many things wrong before, and I feel like its only a matter of time before he gets something wrong with Ultimate.

That said, my Pokemon likeliness goes: Decidueye, Lycanroc (Dusk), Incineroar, Tapu Koko, Mimikyu.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'm betting on Mimikyu or Inceniroar, personally as the former has immediate popularity while the latter has some very in depth design sketches Sakurai could base off of. I think people are WAY overestimating Lycanroc's chances, as they had NEITHER of the above initially. It wasn't until USUM where Lycanroc became really popular with its new form (a year after the initial plan), and Lycanroc's design sketches are VERY bland and basic, showing Sakurai virtually nothing about the character. With all this in mind, I really don't know why he'd choose Lycanroc over the other two, assuming he chose the Pokémon long before the game came out (which he'd have to considering when the project plan was). That's just my 2 cents

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Double posting warning received
1. Decidueye(Being a Grass-type Archer Owl that can Fly, and Shoot Arrows; Sakurai has A L-O-T To work with as far as this pokemon goes)

My Main Choice would be Decidueye, But if any other pokemon is chosen, I'd want it to be:
2. Lycanroc[Due to being a Quadrupedal Fighter NOT packaged-in with Other Pokemon, I.E. Ivysaur with Charizard, Squirtle and Red Or Leaf; and since We Haven't had a Rock Themed Moveset for any fighter; Maybe It could be its Dusk Form, with it's alternate Colorations being brown with Blue Eyes like its mid-day form, Dark Red with Red-Eyes like its' Midnight Form, Its Shiny Form, a color scheme that would represent its Hypothetical Dawn Form(Which REALLY should've existed) like Purple, etc]

I wouldn't really want these though:
3. Mimikyu(Due to the Anime's NEGATIVE Portrayal of Mimikyu as a Pika-cidal Monster, who despises Pikachu & wants to kill them all; which would ONLY Resurface that image in Smash; Which goes against the Entire Reason I LOVED This Pokemon; Because Of It's Sympathizable Desire to be Loved, how Adorable & Heartwarming it's supposed to be, Especially with its adorable Rap song, I.E. Pikachu Janai, yo Mimikyu dayo)
4. Incineroar(We ALREADY H-A-V-E A Fire-Type Fighter in Smash, i.e. Charizard, AND A just-as-brutal Fighter in Smash, I.E. Ridley)

Latest info from Vergeben on GameFAQs says it's not Lycanroc or Mimikyu either...
Duh, It'll Obviously be Decidueye!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I personally would prefer (and kind of expect) Buzzwole.

I mean, an ULTRA BEAST! Just imagine the sheer badassery

Top Bottom