• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm just going to guess a ultra beast if we do get a new pokemon

Oh to note one reason people can't let go of new Pokémon rep it's a ritual in smash to bring atleast 1 new playable pokemon

But heck maybe even crazier just being gengar

Duh, It'll Obviously be Decidueye!!
He deconfirmed decidueye as well

Last edited:

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Okay so I’m going to go out on a limb and say it will be someone that none of you have said. A transformation character that is really only gen 7 by technicality with his own movie. The sixth Pokemon they revealed generation leading up to sun and moon.

ZYGARDE
1D2CC5BB-6928-430E-B1F7-621CE06F4FB8.jpeg

Now I would prefer Tapu Koko or Xurkitree personally but I think now that we can have fast transformation characters Sakurai is looking for a character to fit that archetype once again. It’s a crazy theory and it’ll probably just be Incineroar but hey it would be cool if I got it right.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord

Oh to note one reason people can't let go of new Pokémon rep it's a ritual in smash to bring atleast 1 new playable pokemon

He deconfirmed everyone but who we have a third party only 90s kids know and some Pokémon with no name, and a pacifist. his post is stupid stop giving this guy credit let’s get him banned

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Hmmm not bad

Necrozma is considered the leader of the ultra beasts
Big part of the plot in Gen 7 you fight him what three four times in one game.
Not a rival not a gang leader a Pokémon you fight more than once.

Or incineroar because Pokemon I choose you reboot and he could be lucky like :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel like the leaker stating Lycanroc or Mimikyu aren't the Pokémon newcomers is sheer guessing that stems from him not believing they can work in the game.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Assuming Verge is being authetic here, I'm going with Tapu Koko. He encapsulates Gen VII super well, but I'm always gonna prefer Decidueye for Smash.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Seems like multiple sources are confirming that the Pokemon isn't Decidueye nor Lycanroc:

View attachment 155640

Anyone know the credibility of this particular person?
Honestly just sounds like piggybacking/bandwagon at this point.

I remember back in Smash 4 DLC speculation, how there seemed to be this huge group of insiders who knew who the next DLC characters were. YouTubers, artists, 'trusted' 'leakers', etc. Turns out all of them were wrong, because all it took was a lie to spread like a wildfire, and for everyone to jump in on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if more randoms chime in claiming that Vergeben is right, and it sucks because that's exactly what he wants. Attention and reputation.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Based on what he claims, if not Decidueye, Lycanroc or Mimikyu. I'd anticipate these choices of mine:

- Inceniroar or Primarina.
- One of the Alolan guardians which I think Tapu Koko is the likely choice.
- One of the Ultra Beasts
or
- One of the legendaries (Magearna, Marshadow or Zeroara.)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, this is interesting. A Gen 7 Pokemon has always been likely, but it's interesting to see several of the front-runners eliminated if this leak is true.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Assuming that his leak is true (I’m taking it with a grain of salt just to be safe), the only options I can realistically see for a Gen 7 rep are:
-Incineroar (seems to be the most marketed Alolan starter; the only one on this list I don’t really want)
-Tapu Koko (had a lot of prominence in the early Sun/Moon days)
-An Ultra Beast/Necrozma (if they really want to push the Ultra Beast concept long term)
-Marshadow (depends on when the concept was finalized; my most wanted on this list)

In the case that the leak is fake, I would love any of the 3 “disconfirmed” Pokémon as playable characters.

Edit: I also add Type Null/Silvally to the list since I see the concept of changing types to be interesting, but hard to implement.

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Given that the Gen 7 Pokémon has to have been chosen based on concept art/whoever Game Freak thought would be popular, I'm gonna guess that it'll be Incineroar. Decidueye still has Pokkén at least.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'm gonna go for a left field choice.

We are getting no new Pokemon reps at all this time.
I mean...

Smash 64: 2 reps
Melee: 2 newcomers
Brawl: 2 (4) newcomers
Sm4sh: 1 newcomer

Pokemon seems to be one of the franchises that consistently brings newcomers to Smash, so I'd find it pretty weird if no new Pokemon are announced.

That said, I'm not sure about this leaker at this point. Why not just reveal the newcomer? Being ambiguous just seems like a safe bet.

And has anyone thought the Pokemon newcomer might be an Echo Figther? Which pokemon would work well as an Echo of an existing one?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Could be the wtf rep at the same time with golisopod Guzmas main pokemon

But excellent point on necrozma being possible since it's a legendary and ultra beast at the same time

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be cool to get Kartana and have them be the most glass canon character imaginable.

Some recent news of Vergeben came up regarding a certain Pokemon newcomer not being included in this game:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145/906230784

With this recent news, who do you predict will be this game's Pokemon newcomer? Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Incineroar? Or are you firm on the decision of predicting Decidueye?

Let me know your opinion. In-depth thoughts on each possible PKMN candidate would be appreciated. Right now, for me at least, this is an exciting time for speculation.

Personally, I am betting on Lycanroc. And I have an in-depth analysis here to explain my decision:

After researching Sakurai’s criteria on Pokemon again, I have realized that Decidueye actually is not the frontrunner candidate for the next Pokemon newcomer. Who will be chosen will be based on combination of factors. While Decidueye has huge popularity in the Pokemon fanbase and gameplay potential, there is one factor he misses that is crucial for his inclusion, this part in particular:

“Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.

Decidueye has not become a central Pokemon and has been less promoted in the anime. As of Sun/Moon anime's new episodes, Ash’s Rowlet has not evolved into Decidueye, as his current role in the anime is mostly for gags. The one that actually has become central to the anime and marketing in general is Lycanroc:

Lycanroc has become one of Ash’s primary partners in the anime recently, whose current bond strongly parallels to 6th generation's Greninja. Outside of that medium, his pre-evolution/other forms have been promoted frequently in Sun and Moon via video games, being the first Pokemon to appear in a new trading card mechanic called GX, prominence in the manga, and merchandise. Sakurai has likely done heavy marketing research for Sun/Moon around the time of project planning. Such marketing would have been planned out in advance by The Pokémon Company. TPC would have made Lycanroc to be the most important Pokemon they want Sakurai to pay attention to way back in 2015, giving concept art of the Pokemon's Midday and Midnight form to use for reference.

Lycanroc also has solid move-set potential, wielding the powers of levitating rocks. He is an earth-bender of sorts in Avatar terms, which is very distinct when compared to the current in Smash 4. Since Midnight Lycanroc is the most popular out of its three forms, I will be discussing its play-style in that specific form. Looking at Midnight Lycanroc’s Pokedex information, it acts quite recklessly and craves for victory, provoking opponents and using close combat when nearby. Lycanroc plays as a fighter who utilizes rock powers in melee for a bait-and-attack play-style. The many other forms of Lycanroc like Dusk and Midday can work too if Sakurai wants to have the Pokemon focus on a ranged-attack bait-and-attack play-style. The choices Sakurai has with Lycanroc would provide enough gameplay potential for Sakurai to play around with.

I personally believe now Lycanroc will be the next and only Pokemon newcomer chosen for Smash. While it would be ideal for the roster to get Lycanroc & Decidueye, I feel that only one spot will remain open, in the same way only one spot was open for one new X/Y Pokemon way back in Smash 4’s project plan,. With Lycanroc having the advantage of being more promoted in several mediums like the anime more than Decidueye way back, It would not matter how distinct Decidueye would be because without that combination of benefits Lycanroc has, he will not make it in. Lycanroc is one of those Pokemon has become central to Sun/Moon from S/M's pre-release to now. I feel firmly confident that Lycanroc will be playable over Decidueye.

Mimikyu is unlikely but would be AWESOME, Lycanroc in my opinion is the most likely.

I totally buy into Bluepikmin's explanation (in depth analysis). Marketing is a big factor and that's why Mewto, Lucario and Greninja were introduced in the first place (they were popular in the anime, movies and stuff).

Although, it would be great if we get another Pokemon trainer type character with 3 switchable pokemon (with balanced stats, abilities and all).

Imagine the hype... i would probably die from hype.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Honestly not super enthused about a gen 7 pokemon inclusion, particularly now that Pokemon Trainer is back. In fact, that makes me even less interested in more starter pokemon being included.

Sure, despite that I'd be pleased if Sakurai jukes everyone and we wind up with Primarina, but that aside I'd prefer inclusions like Marshadow, or unexpected things like Lillie with Clefairy+Cosmog, or what someone said above of Guzma + Golisopod. Ultra beasts also make sense, but outside of Nihilego and Poipole I don't really see a single one of them particularly leading the bunch.

Then there's Necrozma (who I believe isn't an UB). It makes sense that they were trying to set it as a major player in Gen 7, but its design is so alien and not really conducive to having a personality imo, so I would not want to see it as a playable character.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
If we get a new trainer character, how about a villain? A Rocket Grunt with "evil" pokemon (poison, ghost, dark types). Or even a Gym Leader?

That's probably not gonna happen, but it would be cool.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman

No he didn't; and If He did Prove it; by Showing me solid Undeniable Proof where he deconfirmed it; a REAL RELIABLE source, and not one of those Fake Leaks

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I will share my thoughts on Incineroar's chances here.

I do not deny that Incineroar is a notably promoted Pokemon in that movie and that the anime seems to imply plot-wise that Ash's Torracat will turn into its final-evolution soon, but my biggest beef with Incineroar is the moveset potential. Sakurai from Brawl and onwards has paid close attention to choosing newcomers that have unique traits. With Charizard and Bowser being planned for Ultimate, I fail to see how Incineroar would catch Sakurai's eye. There is the wrestling part of him that makes Incineroar somewhat distinct, but I do not believe the trait alone will be able to make Sakurai meaningfully distinguish him from the veterans I mentioned when constructing a moveset and seeing the Pokemon's concept art.

We already have characters that have a play-style of being a powerful heavyweight using a degree of fire-based attacks. And to a small degree, Bowser is sort of a wrestling type character already with his grappling Side-B and maybe his Down-B. I understand why people would move to predicting Incineroar after Verge's new information, but I have trouble picturing that it would happen for real when considering Sakurai's emphasis on character individuality. It is part of why I feel very sketchy about predicting a Pokemon newcomer that is not Mimikyu, Decidueye, or Lycanroc. No other Pokemon after those choices make much sense to me, when considering the Pokemon criteria Sakurai gave in a Smash 4 interview.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I do not deny that Incineroar is a notably promoted Pokemon in that movie and that the anime seems to imply plot-wise that Ash's Torracat will turn into its final-evolution soon, but my biggest beef with Incineroar is the moveset potential. Sakurai from Brawl and onwards has paid close attention to choosing newcomers that have unique traits. With Charizard and Bowser being planned for Ultimate, I fail to see how Incineroar would catch Sakurai's eye. There is the wrestling part of him that makes Incineroar somewhat distinct, but I do not believe the trait alone will be able to make Sakurai meaningfully distinguish him from the veterans I mentioned when constructing a moveset and seeing the Pokemon's concept art.

We already have characters that have a play-style of being a powerful heavyweight using a degree of fire-based attacks. And to a small degree, Bowser is sort of a wrestling type character already with his grappling Side-B and maybe his Down-B. I understand why people would move to predicting Incineroar after Verge's new information, but I have trouble picturing that it would happen for real when considering Sakurai's emphasis on character individuality. It is part of why I feel very sketchy about predicting a Pokemon newcomer that is not Mimikyu, Decidueye, or Lycanroc. No other Pokemon after those choices make much sense to me, when considering the Pokemon criteria Sakurai gave in a Smash 4 interview.
So I assuming you still think lycanroc is the winner?

If so good for you because vergeben is not exactly the most trust worthy source besides the truth is on all of those things they are all safe bets even Ridley

I figured sakurai would make Ridley playable for the fans and get in the same basic concept of how villager got in

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
There is the possibility of Gen 7 being skipped for a newcomer and going straight to a Gen 8 newcomer. Or we get a Gen 7 Pokemon for the base roster while leaving a Gen 8 Pokemon for DLC.

That gives some more perspective on that hard choice they have to make. A new playable Pokemon must be unique as a Pokemon character but also as a Smash character. Therefore it's unlikely to see another fire-breathing Pokemon (or with fire based attacks as you mentionned).

With that in mind, an original concept would better enrich the game in my opinion... Mimikyu would be my choice for originality (imaine what they could do with mimic or even pain split!). But again there's popularity involved and Lycanroc seems ahead in that regard.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Verg is to be believed

Anyone saying a pokemon that isn't Inceniroar is just delusional

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I still don't believe Vergeben, but entertaining the idea of this being real... I'm also stumped.

This is the way I'm looking at it. Depending on when Sakurai got a hold of the concept art, the only two I can really see sticking out to him would be Decidueye and Incineroar. This is assuming that Dusk Lycanroc's concept art was unfinished, who I would see appearing later into the picture, and I don't see Mimikyu being seriously considered, personally. This leaves the Gen VII Pokemon choice, at least initially, between an archer owl and a wrestling tiger.

In Decidueye's favor, there is no 'similar moveset' problem with him, as there's no other character on the roster with a moveset based around being an avian archer. That is, unless Revali from Breath of the Wild was selected before he got his hands on Decidueye's concept art, and I don't see any problems with Ivysaur being in the picture, either. Rowlet's massive popularity may also improve Decidueye's chances a bit, seeing as Decidueye's the final evolutionary form. I feel the only things that would cause Decidueye to be passed up is if Sakurai cannot see his potential (Which I find hard to believe), would prefer to have Incineroar for his wrestling potential, or if the Pokemon Company pushed for Dusk Lycanroc.

In Incineroar's favor, I'm not sure that having similar heavyweights with fire or grappling abilities would be enough to stop Sakurai. Judging by Incineroar's concept art, Sakurai would've had a good hint ahead of time that Incineroar would be on Ash's team, and he would've seen a Pokemon that's literally based around fighting. He could very well have seen Incineroar as an easy fit and ran with it. On the other hand, I don't think Incineroar's movie appearance holds much weight. I don't see difficulty with moveset potential as an issue, rather, he could face problems with being too similar to other characters. Other potential walls to Incineroar's entry would be if Sakurai saw more potential with Decidueye, or if the Pokemon Company pushed for Dusk Lycanroc.

Lastly, let's talk about Dusk Lycanroc. I feel it mostly depends on how long that blank Gen VII Pokemon slot was set aside for. Sakurai could've chosen a new Pokemon before Sun and Moon's release, which would lead to the scenario where its between Decidueye and Incineroar. If Sakurai prioritized bringing back veterans before choosing some of the other new fighters, then enough time could've passed to where Sakurai would've seen Dusk Lycanroc's concept. In which case, Dusk Lycanroc would have to compete with Decidueye and Incineroar for its spot, unless the Pokemon Company specifically pointed out that they planned on promoting Dusk Lycanroc hard. If Sakurai was made aware of Dusk Lycanroc's plans for promotion, it's very likely that he would've gone with him.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Incineroar seems to be the starter being pushed by the anime.

I don't think moveset potential is the big push by Gamefreak. And I also don't think Sakurai gets free range of which pokemon gets in.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If Verg is to be believed

Anyone saying a pokemon that isn't Inceniroar is just delusional
One could easily call you delusional for ignoring just how many potential Pokemon there are from Gen 7

Most notably by far being Tapu Koko. Or even Necrozma or an Ultra Beast.

Or just plain old Rowlet even who trumps every other Pokemon by far in terms of popularity.

slambros

Smash Ace

I decided to look through all of the gen 7 pokemon and this one, Lurantis, caught my eye. It's a grass type - besides Ivysaur, that's rather atypical - and the pokemon could easily use attacks such as X-Scissor and Fury Cutter. It basically seems like a more feminine version of what Scizor could be, and the design looks like it has potential to be something that audiences really like if the devs choose to spotlight it. I'm not sure if it really has a chance, but it's not like I'm the type to go straight towards rooting for a starter or a legendary.

:131:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One could easily call you delusional for ignoring just how many potential Pokemon there are from Gen 7

Most notably by far being Tapu Koko. Or even Necrozma or an Ultra Beast.

Or just plain old Rowlet even who trumps every other Pokemon by far in terms of popularity.
I'd care more of what "one" had to say if they didn't sound so desperate in trying to justify other options.

Desdar300

Smash Rookie
If it's not Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc then Incineroar's up there given how much the Japanese adore Tiger Mask and the Big Cat could easily be the "Zangeif\King" of the game.
If not him then there 's always something like Golisopod

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd care more of what "one" had to say if they didn't sound so desperate in trying to justify other options.
Right, desperate. Keep telling yourself that.

I don't even think we're necessarily getting a new Pokemon since we just got 3 old faces returning putting the Pokemon count at 9. And I especially don't think we're getting another starter Pokemon with Pokemon Trainer back. The moment he was revealed, I lost a lot of hope on Decidueye getting in.

But to think there is only 1 potential fighter from Gen 7 is just plain stupid. Especially with Tapu Koko still on the table. That Pokemon has been a standout since it was revealed.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Right, desperate. Keep telling yourself that.

I don't even think we're necessarily getting a new Pokemon since we just got 3 old faces returning putting the Pokemon count at 9. And I especially don't think we're getting another starter Pokemon with Pokemon Trainer back. The moment he was revealed, I lost a lot of hope on Decidueye getting in.

But to think there is only 1 potential fighter from Gen 7 is just plain stupid. Especially with Tapu Koko still on the table. That Pokemon has been a standout since it was revealed.
A standout. really?

Go to /vp/ for example. Find 1 Tapu Koko thread. There isn't any.

No one talks about Tapu Koko. Is there even a Tapu Koko support thread?

And whether or not a Pokemon is popular now, the game plan was made in 2015. Pokemon Sun and Moon came out late 2016. Depending on the time, Rowlet probably wasn't even publicly revealed.

I decided to look through all of the gen 7 pokemon and this one, Lurantis, caught my eye. It's a grass type - besides Ivysaur, that's rather atypical - and the pokemon could easily use attacks such as X-Scissor and Fury Cutter. It basically seems like a more feminine version of what Scizor could be, and the design looks like it has potential to be something that audiences really like if the devs choose to spotlight it. I'm not sure if it really has a chance, but it's not like I'm the type to go straight towards rooting for a starter or a legendary.

:131:
Nice pick, would be pretty atypical as you say.

I did the same thing earlier (looking through gen 7 pokedex) and the one who caught my eye was the Alolan Marowak! Just thought it would be cool to fight in smash as Marowak (plus it's rebranded Gen 1 pokemon so i guess it would get the old school fans onboard).

I was just daydreaming obviously :)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I honestly don't know anymore. I feel like Decidueye, Incineroar, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc all have an equal chance of making it, but I still am hoping for Decidueye and am not going to let a fraud sway my opinion just because we're desperate for more news.

Top Bottom