• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd be happy with Buzzwole. But why Buzzwole?
Probably because we'd get a playable Ultra Beast, and a possible mechanic that would be unique to Buzzwole.

As for Incineroar, it would basically be like Street Fighter's Zangief in that it focuses primarily on close-ranged assaults, but is rather slow with its mobility.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Not going to lie, now I'm really eager to see Primarina or Rowlet confirmed. More than anything because I keep seeing all these claims of Incineroar being super popular when japanese polls had both Rowlet and Primarina in top 3.

Also because a not-so humanoid pokemon would be infinitely more interesting design-wise. Incineroar would just feel like a Ganondorf/Bowser hybrid.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Sceptile, and with some reasons:

Most people may have thrown him out by now, but allegedly, the project plan was finalized in late 2015, which is most likely before any gen 7 pokemon existed (if they did, they were definitely in very early versions). Sceptile was definitely the most popular non-gen 6 choice at the time, and had relevancy and move set potential all over. If they truly didn’t have any early art to work with, Sceptile is definitely the choice for a new pokemon rep.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
How many humanoid brawlers are there in Smash?
To be clear, by "humanoid", I mean a fighter with a roughly human-like stance, and by "brawler", I mean a fighter that specializes mostly, if not entirely in unarmed, close-ranged combat. By those definitions, the category of "humanoid brawler" already includes, but is not limited to:
:ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultryu::ultlittlemac::ultmario::ultluigi::ultwario::ultmiifighters:(Brawler)
...among others. This limited listing already includes quite a few, and that's if we're being generous and don't consider characters like :ultbowser:,:ultdk:, and :ultdiddy:who lack the stature of a human, even if they have a humanoid stance (although Incineroar himself may fall into this category as well), and characters like :ultbayonetta:,:ultwiifittrainer:, and :ultzss:, who although they pull off most of their moves unarmed, also make use of various augments within their movesets. It's also worth noting that many of these fighters also have moves with fire-based properties, most notably :ultfalcon:.
Compare to Decidueye's most prominent traits; there are currently only five fighters who use bows at all (and even then, they all only use them in one move and these fighters are also largely based on only two distinct movesets), one fighter who uses plant-themed moves, and arguably two fighters who have remotely avian qualities to them (:ultduckhunt: and :ultfalco:). Incineroar could potentially have a grappler archetype going for him, but that wouldn't exactly make him super unique on its own considering every character in Smash can grab anyway and many of them have command grabs as well.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Why do people still hang on Vergeben's word like he's a reliable source? Hasn't he changed his "credible information" like 3 times because past info he had was wrong? He literally went on record saying initial leaks were faulty so why should anyone believe him? Hasn't his track record for fighting game leaks been like 75% false? Dude was proven wrong about Smash multiple times already, he said we were already supposed to get other characters by now, we still haven't.

That said Decidueye is the top requested Pokemon Newcomer according to Japanese popularity polls, with Mimikyu being next.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Vs. argument of who's more generic - Decidueye or Incineroar is why I just want Mimikyu so bad. Haha

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
To be clear, by "humanoid", I mean a fighter with a roughly human-like stance, and by "brawler", I mean a fighter that specializes mostly, if not entirely in unarmed, close-ranged combat. By those definitions, the category of "humanoid brawler" already includes, but is not limited to:
:ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultryu::ultlittlemac::ultmario::ultluigi::ultwario::ultmiifighters:(Brawler)
...among others. This limited listing already includes quite a few, and that's if we're being generous and don't consider characters like :ultbowser:,:ultdk:, and :ultdiddy:who lack the stature of a human, even if they have a humanoid stance (although Incineroar himself may fall into this category as well), and characters like :ultbayonetta:,:ultwiifittrainer:, and :ultzss:, who although they pull off most of their moves unarmed, also make use of various augments within their movesets. It's also worth noting that many of these fighters also have moves with fire-based properties, most notably :ultfalcon:.
Compare to Decidueye's most prominent traits; there are currently only five fighters who use bows at all (and even then, they all only use them in one move and these fighters are also largely based on only two distinct movesets), one fighter who uses plant-themed moves, and arguably two fighters who have remotely avian qualities to them (:ultduckhunt: and :ultfalco:). Incineroar could potentially have a grappler archetype going for him, but that wouldn't exactly make him super unique on its own considering every character in Smash can grab anyway and many of them have command grabs as well.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one here.

"Humanoid Brawler" is such a broad term that all of your examples share very little in common at all aside from they have attacks using their physical bodies. If anything, it goes to show the versatility of fighting unarmed for unique and original moveset. Meanwhile, archery boils down to either shooting arrows forward or aiming and shooting arrows in other directions. Of course, you can combine it with whatever combination of attacks to make the moveset unique, but then, the same could be, and has been often, done with fists, swords, grabs, guns, etc.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one here.

"Humanoid Brawler" is such a broad term that all of your examples share very little in common at all aside from they have attacks using their physical bodies. If anything, it goes to show the versatility of fighting unarmed for unique and original moveset. Meanwhile, archery boils down to either shooting arrows forward or aiming and shooting arrows in other directions. Of course, you can combine it with whatever combination of attacks to make the moveset unique, but then, the same could be, and has been often, done with fists, swords, grabs, guns, etc.
This is true, and I'm not saying Incineroar literally can't be unique, but my point is that Decidueye is inherently more unique in the context of Smash by virtue of simply being a dedicated archer, which Smash has quite literally none of, compared to the myriad of fighters who fight completely unarmed.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
This is true, and I'm not saying Incineroar literally can't be unique, but my point is that Decidueye is inherently more unique in the context of Smash by virtue of simply being a dedicated archer, which Smash has quite literally none of, compared to the myriad of fighters who fight completely unarmed.
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree, as my opinion is a dedicated gappler being more unique than another projectile user (arrows, guns, magic), but I can see where you're coming from. It's all good.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree, as my opinion is a dedicated gappler being more unique than another projectile user (arrows, guns, magic), but I can see where you're coming from. It's all good.
No getting through to a supporter of a character they want. Haha I can totally relate, to.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I will share my thoughts on Incineroar's chances here.

I do not deny that Incineroar is a notably promoted Pokemon in that movie and that the anime seems to imply plot-wise that Ash's Torracat will turn into its final-evolution soon, but my biggest beef with Incineroar is the moveset potential. Sakurai from Brawl and onwards has paid close attention to choosing newcomers that have unique traits. With Charizard and Bowser being planned for Ultimate, I fail to see how Incineroar would catch Sakurai's eye. There is the wrestling part of him that makes Incineroar somewhat distinct, but I do not believe the trait alone will be able to make Sakurai meaningfully distinguish him from the veterans I mentioned when constructing a moveset and seeing the Pokemon's concept art.

We already have characters that have a play-style of being a powerful heavyweight using a degree of fire-based attacks. And to a small degree, Bowser is sort of a wrestling type character already with his grappling Side-B and maybe his Down-B. I understand why people would move to predicting Incineroar after Verge's new information, but I have trouble picturing that it would happen for real when considering Sakurai's emphasis on character individuality. It is part of why I feel very sketchy about predicting a Pokemon newcomer that is not Mimikyu, Decidueye, or Lycanroc. No other Pokemon after those choices make much sense to me, when considering the Pokemon criteria Sakurai gave in a Smash 4 interview.
I Agree; he's too similar to Bowser, Charizard(Fire-typing), AND Even too similar to Ridley(Brutal Combatant)

In Decidueye's favor, there is no 'similar moveset' problem with him, as there's no other character on the roster with a moveset based around being an avian archer. That is, unless Revali from Breath of the Wild was selected before he got his hands on Decidueye's concept art, and I don't see any problems with Ivysaur being in the picture, either. Rowlet's massive popularity may also improve Decidueye's chances a bit, seeing as Decidueye's the final evolutionary form. I feel the only things that would cause Decidueye to be passed up is if Sakurai cannot see his potential
I Whole-heartedly agree; there's NO Reason Sakurai SHOULDN'T Put Decidueye in Smash!!

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Except for the hoenn styled elephants in the room, which were popular around the time of the ballot, when no gen 7 mons existed.
I doubt they'd want to pass up a character from their big 20th anniversary title. A Hoenn Pokemon may get in, but it'd absolutely be after an Alolan Pokemon.

I know it's pretty late in the conversation to bring that up but with Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee coming out in November, do you guys think we could see a Gen 1 Pokemon?

I mean marketing wise, same console and about a month between both games release dates.

Hypothetically, what do you think would be the most likely candidate?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Hoenn is such a odd gen now. Its the gen that obviously doesn't matter as far as Smash representation. Most of them also strangely resemble Digimon, honestly making them perfect for Pokeball summons.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Hoenn is such a odd gen now. Its the gen that obviously doesn't matter as far as Smash representation. Most of them also strangely resemble Digimon, honestly making them perfect for Pokeball summons.
Clearly you haven’t seen gen 5 or 6 then.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I know it's pretty late in the conversation to bring that up but with Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee coming out in November, do you guys think we could see a Gen 1 Pokemon?

I mean marketing wise, same console and about a month between both games release dates.

Hypothetically, what do you think would be the most likely candidate?
This is why I really thought we were going to get Eevee before he was deconfirmed. The next most likely Gen 1/Let's Go! candidate? I'm a little bit tempted to say Psyduck, what with their strong connections to the anime. Though my next most wanted Pokemon rep, Gengar, would be a great Gen 1 candidate who has a bit of a chance.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I said it before but I think people have been severely sleeping on Tapu Koko or an Ultra Beast. (most likely Buzzwole or Nihilego)

They would represent Alola very well.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
i personally want primarina in as it’s my favorite of the alola starters and also the one that seems the most unique out of the three

however since it’s no where near as popular as decidueye or incineroar, or heck, even lycanroc and mimikyu, it’s chances are close to zero

but honestly i don’t think we’re going to get a gen VII rep, but rather none or a gen VIII rep as aside from gen one, odd number generations have been skipped upon as far as playable characters go

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
i personally want primarina in as it’s my favorite of the alola starters and also the one that seems the most unique out of the three

however since it’s no where near as popular as decidueye or incineroar, or heck, even lycanroc and mimikyu, it’s chances are close to zero

but honestly i don’t think we’re going to get a gen VII rep, but rather none or a gen VIII rep as aside from gen one, odd number generations have been skipped upon as far as playable characters go
It’s more popular than all of those barring Mimikyu. I don’t think it wouldn’t be included due to just simply popularity anyway

UserKev

Smash Champion
I said it before but I think people have been severely sleeping on Tapu Koko or an Ultra Beast. (most likely Buzzwole or Nihilego)

They would represent Alola very well.
No one is sleeping on them. I'll speak for fans like me and say that those Pokémon are unappealing. I also CANNOT understand why they should be chosen over bigger contenders, Mimikyu, Incineroar, Lycanroc.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, Mimikyu is out, but the other three continue on. Simon's confirmation does give Vergeben's claims a bit of strength but there's still a lot ahead of us.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Not terribly surprised by Mimikyu. But SAKURAI! STOP MAKING ME SUFFER! DON'T MAKE ME WAIT TO FIND OUT THE POKEMON NEWCOMER!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
The humanoid Pokémon are definitely in, that's one thing I can say.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
No one is sleeping on them. I'll speak for fans like me and say that those Pokémon are unappealing. I also CANNOT understand why they should be chosen over bigger contenders, Mimikyu, Incineroar, Lycanroc.
I wouldn't say they're unappealing, personally I find Nihilego a lot more interesting than the Main Three (Incineroar, Decidueye, and Lycanroc). However, I think they'd work better as Pokeball or Ultra Ball (since Ultra Beasts can't be caught in Pokeballs) Pokemon.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
I was convinced Marshadow would've been the new Pokemon newcomer but rn my thoughts are currently on Incineroar, Tsareena, or Alolan Marowak.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say they're unappealing, personally I find Nihilego a lot more interesting than the Main Three (Incineroar, Decidueye, and Lycanroc). However, I think they'd work better as Pokeball or Ultra Ball (since Ultra Beasts can't be caught in Pokeballs) Pokemon.
I'm even more bitter now that Mimikyu is disconfirmed. Haha

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Vergeben was right on mimikyu that's another point for him

Yea inciniroar seems the S tier choice right now

But check for Pokémon more popular than inciniroar just to make sure.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I never saw Mimikyu as a strong candidate, so things are still between Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Incineroar.

With Simon Belmont confirmed, it looks like Vergeben's original leak was legitimate. However, the Gen VII Pokemon newcomer now being Decidueye or Lycanroc is still in the air, as I think Vergeben is beginning to question his sources.

Not terribly surprised by Mimikyu. But SAKURAI! STOP MAKING ME SUFFER! DON'T MAKE ME WAIT TO FIND OUT THE POKEMON NEWCOMER!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
Only deconfirmed pokemon today... damnit!

*Speculation intensifies*

PSY? PSY? PSY? PSY?

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I will share my thoughts on Incineroar's chances here.

We already have characters that have a play-style of being a powerful heavyweight using a degree of fire-based attacks. And to a small degree, Bowser is sort of a wrestling type character already with his grappling Side-B and maybe his Down-B. I understand why people would move to predicting Incineroar after Verge's new information, but I have trouble picturing that it would happen for real when considering Sakurai's emphasis on character individuality. It is part of why I feel very sketchy about predicting a Pokemon newcomer that is not Mimikyu, Decidueye, or Lycanroc. No other Pokemon after those choices make much sense to me, when considering the Pokemon criteria Sakurai gave in a Smash 4 interview.
Although I still don't think this holds too much of an impact, I'm curious as to what you think of this.

There's a clip in King K. Rool's character trailer were he performs a Down Throw on Mewtwo, and it looks very similar to one of the poses from Incineroar's concept art. I think it's relatively minor, but it could fit in with your concerns of us already having a few characters with wrestling-esque moves.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Right now, I can see Incineroar being a Chrom-esque echo, taking moves from K. Rool, Bowser, and Charizard. We might get two Pokemon newcomers, one unique and one echo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom