• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters
I usually don't like leaks (too scared of being disappointed i guess) but this one got me hyped for some reason. I just thought i wouldn't be the only one.

Here goes nothing:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422689663/
Hi! I was working at CEO this year and I managed to get a copy the demo build used for the tournaments. There were a few interesting things in the code for the character select:
>The Simon Belmont leaker had the Castlevania IP right, but not the character. "Rihita", Richter Belmont's Japanese name, was among those listed.
>"Sirnight", Gardevoir's Japanese name, was among them. Interestingly, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are all listed with their echo counterparts - "Gothiruselle" (Gothitelle) was underneath her. I presume, then, that Gothitelle is going to be an echo of Gardevoir.
>"Mario2" was listed as a seperate character. I have no idea what this means, but if I had to guess, either Paper Mario or Mario 64 Mario.
>"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.
Obviously it's a demo build, so there may be more characters who haven't been added to the select screen code yet.

My attention was just brought to this one when I searched "Richter" in the 4chan archives. This supposed leak was submitted on July 1st, way before the direct or it's announcement. It predicted Richter, which is a substantial claim. Definitely keep an eye on this one.

This guy got it right for Richter, K, Rool and Dark Samus so that's a pretty good track record so far.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I usually don't like leaks (too scared of being disappointed i guess) but this one got me hyped for some reason. I just thought i wouldn't be the only one.

Here goes nothing:
Hi! I was working at CEO this year and I managed to get a copy the demo build used for the tournaments. There were a few interesting things in the code for the character select:
>The Simon Belmont leaker had the Castlevania IP right, but not the character. "Rihita", Richter Belmont's Japanese name, was among those listed.
>"Sirnight", Gardevoir's Japanese name, was among them. Interestingly, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are all listed with their echo counterparts - "Gothiruselle" (Gothitelle) was underneath her. I presume, then, that Gothitelle is going to be an echo of Gardevoir.
>"Mario2" was listed as a seperate character. I have no idea what this means, but if I had to guess, either Paper Mario or Mario 64 Mario.
>"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.
Obviously it's a demo build, so there may be more characters who haven't been added to the select screen code yet.

My attention was just brought to this one when I searched "Richter" in the 4chan archives. This supposed leak was submitted on July 1st, way before the direct or it's announcement. It predicted Richter, which is a substantial claim. Definitely keep an eye on this one.

This guy got it right for Richter, K, Rool and Dark Samus so that's a pretty good track record so far.
Although K.Rool and Dark Samus were obvious picks, the fact that it predicted RICHTER BELMONT is enough to make it noteworthy.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154

Here goes nothing:

Interestingly this would give us a Pokemon rep from every gen from I to VI. I'd love to see it happen but if it's fake props to the guy for guessing Richter at least.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice

Here goes nothing:

Hasn't Gardevoir already been shown to be a Pokeball Pokemon? If not, I'd love to see them as a fighter.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman

Here goes nothing:

Why would the demo have code for Richter and not Simon? This smells extremely fishy because they're not only saying that Richter was in the code and Simon wasn't, but that Simon wouldn't be in the game at all.

Why would the demo have code for Richter and not Simon? This smells extremely fishy because they're not only saying that Richter was in the code and Simon wasn't, but that Simon wouldn't be in the game at all.
Yup. My interpretation was that he only saw Richter (Simon wasn't there yet) and thought: ''there's no way 2 Castlevania characters are going to be revealed '' and therefore discarded the idea of Simon (fair enough, who would have thought they would reveal 2). But i could be overly optimistic/wrong.

You're rightfully skeptic as everyone should be with leaks. There was quite a good analysis on the veracity of this leak and others on the Smash Ultimate Official Discussion thread but i've lost track of it (the thread is on fire since the direct).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hasn't Gardevoir already been shown to be a Pokeball Pokemon? If not, I'd love to see them as a fighter.
No. Gardevoir hasn't been shown as a Poke Ball Pokemon yet. And Gothitelle hasn't shown up in any capacity yet.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd prefer not to have Gardevoir in, but I can't deny its popularity. Though, as I've said before, I find it hard that they would pass up including at least one character from their big 20 Anniversary game, especially with what a big deal they did about it and the anniversary.

Gothitelle is a literal who in the world of Pokemon and doesn't really have any reason to be considered, let alone included, so the mere mention of it makes everything attached pretty shaky.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd prefer not to have Gardevoir in, but I can't deny its popularity. Though, as I've said before, I find it hard that they would pass up including at least one character from their big 20 Anniversary game, especially with what a big deal they did about it and the anniversary.

Gothitelle is a literal who in the world of Pokemon and doesn't really have any reason to be considered, let alone included, so the mere mention of it makes everything attached pretty shaky.
The leak outright said that Gothitelle will be an Echo. Considering it predicted RICHTER BELMONT it might be credible.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
The leak outright said that Gothitelle will be an Echo. Considering it predicted RICHTER BELMONT it might be credible.
Gothitelle is still a Pokemon nobody wants. Even as an echo, it makes no sense to put it in Smash over far far more beloved and popular characters, especially when pretty much every character added is due to the fan demand. We'll have to wait and see, but I can guarantee that fans will not be happy if it was to be included.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Gothitelle is still a Pokemon nobody wants. Even as an echo, it makes no sense to put it in Smash over far far more beloved and popular characters, especially when pretty much every character added is due to the fan demand. We'll have to wait and see, but I can guarantee that fans will not be happy if it was to be included.
Well, I didn't see anyone wanting Richter to be playable.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, I didn't see anyone wanting Richter to be playable.
I think that's more based on Smash Bros fan rules like "only one third party character per company" or "only one character per third party series" than a lack of interest in the character. Richter is one of the most beloved characters in Castlevania.bSimon is seen as the face of the series, and Castlevania being third party made fans assume we would only get him. If fans knew that more than one character per series was realistic, I'm certain Richter would have had more support.

I think that's more based on Smash Bros fan rules like "only one third party character per company" or "only one character per third party series" than a lack of interest in the character. Richter is one of the most beloved characters in Castlevania.bSimon is seen as the face of the series, and Castlevania being third party made fans assume we would only get him. If fans knew that more than one character per series was realistic, I'm certain Richter would have had more support.
(Keep in mind that i'm talking about a leak and no one is sure of anything)

My interpretation is that Gardevoir is the popular one and Gothitelle was chosen because of Gardevoir (they're similar in many points). Taking the example of the Castlevania duo: Simon was the highly requested one and Richter was released because of Simon.

Creating echo figthers is no big deal for Sakurai's team (no additional balancing issues, moveset creation, hitboxes and such). Just see it as an enhanced alt costume (like Dark Samus for example).

I can't say it enough but i could be wrong, this is only speculation.

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
To me, Gothitelle makes no sense because she’s a nobody. At least Richter is the star of his own games, and Chrom/Daisy/Dark Samus are all popular in their own right. Gothitelle is just one of 800 Pokemon, and not a popular one at all.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If we actually got a gen 3 rep, I’d stick to safer bets like Sceptile, Blaziken, or one that could be an echo of another pokemon.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much of Pokemon but are there any Gen 3, 5, 7 echos that can happen. It could be cool to fill in Gen 3 and 5 in smash.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I don't trust that leak. Richter is an astonishingly good guess, but Dark Samus was already heavily speculated and King K. Rool felt like a near shoe-in after the Ridley reveal. As others have said, it's also pretty suspicious that they were able to get a copy of the demo, get into the game files, but weren't able to obtain visual proof of any of that. The lack of Chrom and Simon is weird as well, I feel like if it weren't for Richter being mentioned we would've discounted the leak in a heartbeat.

Anyway, my most wanted pick at this point is Zygarde-complete, and I also think they're among the most likely. In a 2016 popularity poll with over half a million votes, Zygarde came in 8th, beating out Mewtwo, Lucario and even Charizard. This means not only did they have an established fanbase during the start of Ultimate's development, but they were also getting an upgraded form in the future with a cool mech-like design and potential for an extremely unique moveset utilizing Zygarde's ground-bending abilities and prehensile... wings? Arms? Whatever they are. It also had like... an entire season of the anime dedicated almost exclusively to it.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
(Keep in mind that i'm talking about a leak and no one is sure of anything)

My interpretation is that Gardevoir is the popular one and Gothitelle was chosen because of Gardevoir (they're similar in many points). Taking the example of the Castlevania duo: Simon was the highly requested one and Richter was released because of Simon.

Creating echo figthers is no big deal for Sakurai's team (no additional balancing issues, moveset creation, hitboxes and such). Just see it as an enhanced alt costume (like Dark Samus for example).

I can't say it enough but i could be wrong, this is only speculation.

I understand that notion, echoes don't take nearly as much work as most other elements in the game. However, the ones included so far have at least been ones that some people want. Daisy, while divisive, is still very popular in her own series and a staple in Mario spinoff outings. Chrom is one of the most beloved lords in all of Fire Emblem and the protagonist of his own game. Even Dark Samus has her support.

When it comes to Simon and Richter, I can see why it was done. Richter, while seen to no have been realistically feasible for Smash, still often landed near the top of "favorite Castlevania protagonist" lists. Even in support for Simon, you'd get a handful of those who see Simon as the one likely to get picked, but Richter would have been their dream choice over him.

I still feel like Gothitelle is such an out-there pick to make any lick of sense. TPC doesn't promote it in any way; it's barely in the games, only shows up in a couple episodes in the anime, its presence in the TCG is negligible, and it has virtually nothing in merchandising. There is zero support for it from both Smash fans and Pokemon fans (heck, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone to claim it's their favorite Pokemon).

Unless it's some weird "every unique character gets an echo" decision, I just don't see why Gardevoir would get one over another character unless said echo was a really popular character that just didn't have enough to cut it as a unique fighter. Gothitelle just isn't at all.

We'll have to wait and see, like all leaks, but this one is just too fishy for me to believe.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Simon was the most popular Belmont of the Classic era and Richter the most popular Belmont of the IGAvania era.

Not really a similar case. Then again the most Popular Gen 5 poke in many circles is Chandelure (which even landed her in Pokken), so being a little out there is pretty par for the course for that Gen.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm in the minority that believes there won't be a new pokemon rep

I understand that notion, echoes don't take nearly as much work as most other elements in the game. However, the ones included so far have at least been ones that some people want. Daisy, while divisive, is still very popular in her own series and a staple in Mario spinoff outings. Chrom is one of the most beloved lords in all of Fire Emblem and the protagonist of his own game. Even Dark Samus has her support.

When it comes to Simon and Richter, I can see why it was done. Richter, while seen to no have been realistically feasible for Smash, still often landed near the top of "favorite Castlevania protagonist" lists. Even in support for Simon, you'd get a handful of those who see Simon as the one likely to get picked, but Richter would have been their dream choice over him.

I still feel like Gothitelle is such an out-there pick to make any lick of sense. TPC doesn't promote it in any way; it's barely in the games, only shows up in a couple episodes in the anime, its presence in the TCG is negligible, and it has virtually nothing in merchandising. There is zero support for it from both Smash fans and Pokemon fans (heck, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone to claim it's their favorite Pokemon).

Unless it's some weird "every unique character gets an echo" decision, I just don't see why Gardevoir would get one over another character unless said echo was a really popular character that just didn't have enough to cut it as a unique fighter. Gothitelle just isn't at all.

We'll have to wait and see, like all leaks, but this one is just too fishy for me to believe.
I know what you mean. I feel the same about Gothitelle... i've never even considered using her in the Pokemon game itself so obviously i'm not a supporter for her getting in Smash U. And even if i was a supporter, i would understand that there's hundreds of characters taht people are requesting and that derserve to be in smash before Gothitelle.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
Decidueye is my most wanted, but I'm unfortunately inclined to believe Vergeben (Simon Belmont was not a safe guess imo, and nothing he's leaked for Smash has been proven dead wrong), so if I had to make a guess, I'd say Incineroar is most likely. But I'd love to be surprised.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I seen a lot of Incineroar hate as of recent. Reminds me of when Mimikyu was getting most of the hate. Now more people are bummed than I realized that now he isn't the case.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
I seen a lot of Incineroar hate as of recent. Reminds me of when Mimikyu was getting most of the hate. Now more people are bummed than I realized that now he isn't the case.
My guess is that it has something to do with how many Pokemon fans there are. No matter which Pokemon gets chosen, people are going to be disappointed, moreso than with other franchises (especially since there isn't a clear "most popular Pokemon" this generation).

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I hope we get two new pokemon, and find the most likely to be Incineroar and Sceptile if that ended up being the case, because if vergeben ends up being legitimately credible, then I think we’ll end up getting both. I mainly think this due to how popular Sceptile and Blaziken were during the ballot period. If we got incineroar like vergeben said, than it would be weird not to include one of the other starters, as having two fire and water wouldn’t make sense when only one grass starter exists, which is why I find Sceptile more likely than blaziken.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I hope we get two new pokemon, and find the most likely to be Incineroar and Sceptile if that ended up being the case, because if vergeben ends up being legitimately credible, then I think we’ll end up getting both. I mainly think this due to how popular Sceptile and Blaziken were during the ballot period. If we got incineroar like vergeben said, than it would be weird not to include one of the other starters, as having two fire and water wouldn’t make sense when only one grass starter exists, which is why I find Sceptile more likely than blaziken.
The roster doesn't need a Grass starter. I don't know why people think otherwise.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
The only way I see an older generation Pokemon getting in would be if they did REALLY well in the ballot. Sceptile was a very popular choice for Smash 4 so I guess his chances aren't zero if a lot of people voted for him, but so far I haven't really seen a lot of passion or support for any Pokemon earlier than Gen 7.

I also don't think Sakurai cares about stuff like the "Type" or other things that mean a lot to us Pokefans.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
We'll get Hawlucha because Hawlucha is the best Pokémon.
You cannot argue with this flawless logic.
GG Decidueyes

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
The roster doesn't need a Grass starter. I don't know why people think otherwise.
A - grass starters are arguably the most unique every time (especially with typing). Charizard’s moveset is pretty much just combining bowser and dedede and calling it a day, where as squirtle and ivysaur have unique movesets, which only strengthens my point as to why we should get more grass types.
B - They can bring new things to the table that aren’t just “hey look, fire breath!” in terms of movesets
C - Every gen’s grass starter has a lot of good tactical skills that can be used for a move set, unlike the obvious brute strength that is fire types.

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
It's going to be none of the above

I feel like it's going to be one of those characters nobody will be expecting; we had a legendary in Melee, a popular furry in Brawl, and a water starter in Smash 4, so for me, it's going to be a random, out of the blue Pokemon who can fight well

and someone who recently evolved in the anime
of course I'm talking about Tsareena

xNaz

Smash Cadet
I'm not too big on Pokemon but from what I've seen, the one I see the most happening is edgy Tony the Tiger

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Just noticed something interesting... What if the new Pokemon character was sort of like a echo, but not really? I noticed that Pokemon Trainer didnt have Sun and Moon as color swaps, sure the female trainer has one based off Ultra Moon but still Im talking the og Sun and Moon trainers.. What if the new Pokemon character was another trainer?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Just noticed something interesting... What if the new Pokemon character was sort of like a echo, but not really? I noticed that Pokemon Trainer didnt have Sun and Moon as color swaps, sure the female trainer has one based off Ultra Moon but still Im talking the og Sun and Moon trainers.. What if the new Pokemon character was another trainer?
If we got a new poke trainer, I’m 95% sure it would be the hoenn one due to us not having a hoenn rep in any way and the starters having potential. The same moveset argument can be made for Johto and sinnoh as well.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
If we got a new poke trainer, I’m 95% sure it would be the hoenn one due to us not having a hoenn rep in any way and the starters having potential. The same moveset argument can be made for Johto and sinnoh as well.
But.. What about Pokemon Trainer's May swap? I was thinking Sun and Moon trainer because they were missing from Trainer's pallet swaps.

Although I would love to play as May and I kind of think she should have been a skin for Trainer instead.. Same with Hilda, Calem, and Gold.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
But.. What about Pokemon Trainer's May swap? I was thinking Sun and Moon trainer because they were missing from Trainer's pallet swaps.

Although I would love to play as May and I kind of think she should have been a skin for Trainer instead.. Same with Hilda, Calem, and Gold.
They’re missing probably for the same reason a Nate/Rosa gen 5 skin is missing: we already have one from both gens.

Also, gonna note this here so as to not double post:
I made a Sceptile support thread if anyone cares anymore.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In terms of Pokemon types, the only ones without a playable character in Smash are Rock, Ground, Ghost, Dragon, Bug, and Ice.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is speculating the obvious choices like Tapu Koko, Lycanroc, Decidueye, and Incineroar.

Sakurai tends to be unpredictable. If I were to guess, I'd go with Golisopod or Type: Null/Silvally. Both are utilized by important characters in the story of Sun and Moon, could bring in very unique movesets and playstyles, and were very well received Pokemon with a lot of fans.(Though this likely didn't play part in the decision behind the potential Pokemon rep)

I'm personally hoping for Golisopod, simply because it's super fitting for the roster. It could be a heavyweight Pokemon, which only Charizard is currently a heavyweight fighter for the Pokemon series. It's design is based on Samurais, and has a moveset that could easily translate over to Smash. Aqua Jet could be it's up special, First Impression could be a close range side special with a stunning effect, Sucker Punch could be turned into a counter for it's down special, and it's standard special could be Pin Missile as a projectile, or it could even take Charizard's old down special being Rock Smash. Obvious final smash would be the Bug-type Z-Move, Savage Spin-Out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom