• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When is dtilt useful to Snake?

Underload

Lazy
I guess it's worth talking about.

It's worth mentioning that I'm trying to find situations when dtilt itself is useful, not when you can replace utilt / ftilt with dtilt.

etecoon

Smash Hero
things I keep in mind with dtilt

- has more ground range than ftilt1 and utilt, but lack of horizontal knockback makes it less safe on block than ftilt or utilt

- has a hitbox that nearly covers snake's entire body

- will "duck" some attacks

- can be done while crawling with a grenade, making it impossible to chain grab you if shield grabbed

- hitting people on the ledge

- puts people in a very disadvantageous position, and has pretty good KO power

-Ran

Smash Master
When your up-tilt is too obvious, but they are at a percent that d-tilt kills. It'll hit since they'll be spacing to protect against both Up-tilt and f-tilt hit one.

etecoon

Smash Hero
you can get two off but you have to crawl forward again and there's not much point doing it, having a half cooked nade on you just makes it harder to punish with some things

1. when falco and fox are spamming lasers and you are near the edge. Just sit there and when they want to come and get you with phantasm and you dtilt it.
2. when people are *****ing that all you use to kill is utilt and then at 130ish dtilt them

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I use Jab>dtilt

It shouldn't work, but for some reason it does.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
D-tilt Application (I'm probably missing some)
-At the edge, when your opponent is gonna use an edge option that isn't Get up Atk.
-To dodge a move and attack at the same time.
-To kill, that's right, kill...it kills MK on stages like FD and Lylat around 145%ish (I think).
-To mixx things up. (For ex: Jab > Dtilt; Ftilt1 > Dtilt)

BTW, I you can use Dtilt with a Grenade in hand. (Underload add this to the OP).
Have a grenade on the hand, and hold Diagonally downward and press A. (hope that's not confusing)
Here's a vid to go with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYaRdg9k3T4
(O:27 - 0:31)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Dtilt has less vertical knockback than Utilt does, so at mid percents Dtilt is a little better then Utilt at starting a "combo" via reading/aerial techchase.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure awhile back SuSa looked into dtilt and heres what he found out

while snake is executing the move, for some reason he gets a disjointed type of hurtbox that goes way over his body so you cant even really use this to crouch under things and attack because it makes snake "big enough" to be attacked still

Lets stick to ftilt

I guess occasionally you could duck under something and if it has enough lag that you can punish with dtilt why not?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I remember hearing something Kewkky said about Kirby's dtilt makes his hurtbox smaller then in his crouch. I didn't know it could work the other way around too. But crouching under an aerial/attack and punish with dtilt is certainly a good option.

Panix

Smash Ace
I've used the "crouch with gernade in hand" approch and d-tilt falco's while they spam lasers. Then if they grab me they usually blow up with me, unless they get a quick f-throw out.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
question, can u jab>dtilt>utilt at low %?
i cant try it out myself cuz i dont hav my wii fur now :'(

oh and is it possible/practical dtilt>btilt the knee>(infinite possibilities)

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
I've used the "crouch with gernade in hand" approch and d-tilt falco's while they spam lasers. Then if they grab me they usually blow up with me, unless they get a quick f-throw out.
I like that. Never really tried it but it seems like it could work wellish.

I also remember SuSa's thread a while back.

Kill me if you like, but who agrees Dtilt seems to only come out when you think about the situation rather than react with it? Utilt/Ftilt are more useful in nearly all situations. Dtilt really only has specific uses such as hitting someone near the ledge due to longer range. I really think you should stick to those situations rather than try to replace the uses of Ftilt/Utilt. This is more of a persuasion post to try to convince others to not use Dtilt as a replacement of Ftilt/Utilt.

RATED

Smash Lord
Dtilt , I use it when my opponent is landing on the stage and does while trying to evade the Ftilt, Uptilt or the obvious grab. so if they airdodge accordingly to evade those options, I can get the Dtilt since it has a better hit box in the ground.

and using the "dtilt with granade at hand" against falco is really really predictable.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My most commonly used application of D-Tilt is as a mix-up for jabs. When they're expecting the Jab combo or Jab > F-Tilt or Jab > Grab its useful. I save it for killing sometimes when I know that my U-Tilt may end up being stale. Personally it's an underrated move and not enough Snake's use it. Especially in a metagame where people expect you to F and U_Tilt all day Plus the range is nice wven though it's not disjointed like the other tilts.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I use Dtilt....... a lot.
Normally after a Dthrow i'll crawl and Dtilt them at low%'s, and on people like Spacies, i normally try to pseudo Dtilt > Utilt > Utilt on low%'s as well.

Theed

Smash Rookie
I use dtilt to simply be unpredictable because not a lot of Snake players use it. It has kill power but it's unreliable due to his utilt and ftilt being his main kill moves. I do use it against bad/impatient Falco players. I don't know a Falco in MDVA who doesn't laser spam at the start of a match or a fresh stock.

So, I just hold a grenade while crouching, throw it when the time is right. I patiently wait for them until they get impatient and go for a running grab, and give a quick dtilt.

Sync.

Smash Champion
I generally down tilt when I'm jab comboing. It's good for refreshing your other tilts and usually catches people off guard because of the obvious forward tilt or up tilt. It's a really good combo starter at lower percents because it leads to many opportunities such as grab, restart jab combo, forward tilt or up tilt.

Also it's pretty useful for hitting people into explosives above you such as mine on a platform or grenade on a platform. You can suplex for that too although it's a bit unorthodox.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Well after playing a few matches with my Olimar main friend, I have found that down tilt will always break you out of Olimar's non-pivot grabs. The spacing isn't too specific and it's quite easy to do. You will get grab release animation but Olimar would take the full force and knock back of your down tilt. It's actually quite useful I have found.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
The cool thing about the move is that it still has decent knocback so its a legit kill at higher percents and its almost always going to be fresh.

Top Bottom