• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the difference between Side-B and Down-B? [REVERSION: 8/18/09]

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I don't really care much for the first section because floaty-ness affects star KOs a slight bit. But the second part definately looks close enough not to argue. I made a mistake with Sonic, I never tested him resulting in that area of weight, just said the wrong thing. Fox however, I'm surprised with. I was sure he was nowhere near that light...

But yeah you're right in both tests Jiggly ended up showing lighter, which confuses me because I tested GW over and over again when he first ended up dieing earlier.
Ah well, thanks for showing me that Infzy, I should get get my old papers and re test a couple things.... but why do that when I could instead practice ATs with Sonic?

Side note, I beat Okami today. Top 10 best games ever played for sure.

Edit: Okay there is no freakin way DK is that heavy. *grumble*

infomon

Smash Scientist
lolz, np. Actually the "weight lists" are kind of misleading, when you start to factor in momentum-cancelling options.... especially with someone like Fox, he may be light but he's a fastfaller, which allows him to survive vertical KOs better, simply by fastfalling an aerial partway through hitstun. So liek.... yeah.

Edit: DK is one ginormous monkey. :p

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Tenki, have you added this yet?

1) ASD

Oh yes, charge you side B in the air and hold the shield. ( I suggest doing a short hop) Now if you land on the ground before it's full charged it will cancel.

2) The real discovery, lengthening your SD 'hop'

Release you side B and hold forwards as it hops and it will go a bit further. Hold it back and the the 'hop; will be shorter. Better recovery? Easier foot stool? This has been mentioned before?
Tenki, have you added this?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
to the best of my knowledge sonic is the same weight consistenly, as mario with a full FLUDD (yes his water pack increases his weight)

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Okay, I tested and checked the Mario threads. No Fludd does not make Mario heavier. It does make him fall faster while he's charging it, but thats it.
His cape makes him leik hover for a second.

And thats the difference between sideB and downB.

/thread

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's easy for me to SS since I play with the Wiimote, the 1 button is right next to the 2 button, so I just sldie my thumb and bam.

:laugh:

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
My preferences:

Regular button config for GC controller.

grounded:
side-B > down on c-stick

midair:
down-b > side on c-stick

Difference between side-b and down-b spinshot?
I believe the input for the down-b is about 2 or so frames faster than the side-b.
And you can only use the down-b one in midair. side-b works both grounded and midair

:093:

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Thanks Cat, I expect that to help a lot.

Have fun Chis lol, being as Toony one of my mains, it made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That video was so fail, it wins.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Which is why I'm praising it so much in the Link boards.

Yet I somehow managed to get an infraction for it in the Toon boards because I.... double posted?

I didn't know it was double posting if the first post was made like three days before the second one, and they're both on pretty different subjects...

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
It'll go away in a week.

It will go away if I ignore, just the same as the rest of my problems.

/wrists

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Are you saying I can use this to get a free extra jump, or are you saying that spinshot consumes my double jump even if used from the ground, whereas this doesnt?
The latter I would guess. Spinshot is an instant double jump, wether from the ground or the air. If performed from the ground, it automatically wastes your second jump. iSDJ can be very useful.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Are you saying I can use this to get a free extra jump, or are you saying that spinshot consumes my double jump even if used from the ground, whereas this doesnt?
Spinshot is essentially just a double jump out of a spindash that sends you through the air at ground speed, at a strange arch.

iSDJ is when Sonic does a spin dash jump at an arch, so he still has a hitbox and his double jump. It moves much slower than a spinshot though.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah, that's why I thought the Spinshot would be good to use from the edge, being able to move so fast in while in the air from the ledge sounded like some great recovery options. We can't forget that, even though SD has a hitbox, it also has low priority that can't be easily relied on.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hit the Print Screen button.

I was mostly just teasing you btw. I've seen you around here before.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Cool...lol
Its great to be back...It gonna take forever for me to catch up
All these new Sonic acronyms Ive seen are confusing lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
iSDJ has a hitbox but the hitbox goes away near the peak of the jump,

when you are using it to edgeguard you arent using it for the hitbox, when going off the edge, the retention of your second jump is 10 times more important than any other factor, and thats why this is more useful than spinshooting

p.s. i have infizzies vid playing now but im not even watching it, im just listening to the awesome music

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol....Lucas is my first main
Sonic is my 4th
Thats cool
how did u do that?
but yeah...I used to come to the Sonic boards all the time
but havnt been in it for a while....so Ive missed alot...lol
lil cj was the one who witnessed my first triple spring-cancelled-aerial combo.

and he switched mains shortly after.

not that they're related by any means lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol, glad someone likes my music :laugh: I change tracks too often in that vid tho, and it prolly needs moar sonicmusic.

Beware: you can use side-B or down-B, from the ground (or the air, obv), even things like an iSDJ/VSDJ..... and not be able to jump-cancel it!! which means you might not even be able to spinshot lol. I'm thinking maybe I should do a lil vid showing all the ways your spindash jump-data might not get restored, think it's worth it?

Maybe I should just get back to that advanced-sonic vid lol.
or maybe I should finally upload Rickerdy's vids :laugh: (tmrw 4srs)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic music should be reserved for the combo videos.

Also just put it down somewhere, unless we can find a way to keep the 2nd jump, there's no point in trying to go in-depth into it, just leave a sticky-note somewhere that says "a SD/SC in the air after double jumps will not restore your jumps - Beware!"

Top Bottom