• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's stopping Sonic from getting more characters?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just had a thought: everyone here agrees that we need a Sonic character. But... could that be our greatest weakness?

Very unified character fandoms such as Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno, or even Rex can band together and focus on requesting that character. Other than the nebulous idea of having a Sonic character, Sonic fans can't exactly agree on what Sonic character that is (Sonic fans not agreeing on anything, like that's new). The individual fandoms of each Sonic character could be cannibalizing one another, creating a situation where no one wins.
From what I've seen, the Eggman support thread has jumped up hugely in numbers since Sephiroth's reveal. He's also at the top of the Global Smash Roster when it comes to Sonic characters. While I definitely know there's arguing of whether it should be Tails or Eggman, or even Knuckles or Shadow possibly (I want them but I can't deny being an AT hurts their chances), I don't think it's to the point where we're cannibalizing each other in a situation where no one wins. Because even then, we're still making our voices heard, so there's undoubtedly a lot of fan demand for a 2nd Sonic character.
Also, take a look at the fanbases of ARMS and Final Fantasy. I'm sure there was a lot of debating and disagreeing in those fanbases over which character should get in next (I was a Mechanica/Noctis man myself), they still got a character in Smash, so I don't see why the same can't happen for a Sonic character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't mind tbh. We take those.

But would appreciate if his specials were shield abilities, and nair is insta shield.

Fair could be the kick pose from Forces trailer.
Back air would be the spinning kick he gives to Metal Sonic.
Dair would be his stomp move from Fighters.
And Uair could be an upward version if Sonic's fair. Imitating his spring jump animation from CD.

Ideally they'd pick a different character tho. 😅

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind tbh. We take those.

But would appreciate if his specials were shield abilities, and nair is insta shield.

Fair could be the kick pose from Forces trailer.
Back air would be the spinning kick he gives to Metal Sonic.
Dair would be his stomp move from Fighters.
And Uair could be an upward version if Sonic's fair. Imitating his spring jump animation from CD.

Ideally they'd pick a different character tho. 😅
honestly I would rather sticks the badger

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
People just love to dunk on Knuckles, its amazing. Noticed how Shadow is still honorable mentioned despite being an assist? Shadow gets a pass for EVERYthing when he's basically SSJ4 Sonic.
Imagine thinking that "people love to dunk on Knuckles" yet claiming everyone "gives Shadow a pass for everything" when if anything, it's been the other way around for years. At best, it's only been very recently when most people take Shadow seriously, and even then, a good amount of people insist that he's only good for being an echo, yet insist Knuckles deserves more, despite the fact neither of them are really more unique than the other.

But yeah, one person says Knuckles isn't necessary so Knuckles gets dunked on a lot.

But this doesn't put off Shadow's more unoriginal streak against Knuckles, who debuted before Shadow. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are the Mario, Luigi and Wario while Shadow is lucky to be in Waluigi's foot steps. Not hating on Shadow tho, but he's clearly just made to be cool that would easily appeal to anyone.

This is why I'm so happy Knuckles has got an assist that says something because his potential is sooo obvious, it hurts to think about it.
Knuckles is not even close to being a Wario, nor is Shadow a Waluigi. Knuckles at the absolute best is the Yoshi and Shadow is the Wario, since Shadow is actually Sonic's main rival, whereas Knuckles is essentially just a third wheel for Sonic and Tails now. Even if we were to insist that is somehow comparable to spinoff filler and isn't Sonic's main rival, then Metal Sonic would be the Wario, like he was before Shadow showed up and claimed that spot.

Then again most of the Sonic cast nowadays are pretty much treated like a bunch of Waluigis so perhaps this whole "role" debate is pointless

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean Tails and Eggman make by far the most sense
i mean Eggman probably should be the second Rep (because Badguy)
and Tails is Sonics Luigi so yeah

I know many want Shadow but he and others like Knuckles and Metalsonic are moare fit for a 4th slot

and (sorry Janx_UWU) Silver seems very unlikely for the next 20 years the only thing you can do is ask silver if he has a Copy of Smash 15 or something

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah at this point both Eggman and Tails have the higher chances.

Tails, Knuckles, and Silver appear in GHZ. This doesn't mean they're ruled out entirely but it's negative points.

Knuckles and Shadow are ATs so that's negative points.

Eggman however has no negative points so far, and is as old as Sonic. I believe he has the least hurdles right now.

Tails's(?) Chances are likely, his cameo in GHZ could easily not appear or be replaced by maybe Amy.

Metal Sonic narrowly follows Tails only because IMO his only major negative point is that Eggman is the MAIN villain, and Metal is more of his sidekick. The only reason why they'd go for Metal over Eggman is for speedier development since they can use Sonic's model as a base.

Then Shadow, because although they could replace his AT with someone else, I don't feel enough passion from Sakurai and team regarding Sonic as a whole to do it.

Knuckles is both a background character and an AT.

Amy could be the only left-field character revealed from Sonic. But I bet they believe a lot of people would be upset. Personally, that'd be awesome.

Then the rest are flat out irrelevant at this point, as much as I'd love to see Blaze, Mighty, or Chaotix as a pokemon Trainer style swap team

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah at this point both Eggman and Tails have the higher chances.

Tails, Knuckles, and Silver appear in GHZ. This doesn't mean they're ruled out entirely but it's negative points.

Knuckles and Shadow are ATs so that's negative points.

Eggman however has no negative points so far, and is as old as Sonic. I believe he has the least hurdles right now.

Tails's(?) Chances are likely, his cameo in GHZ could easily not appear or be replaced by maybe Amy.

Metal Sonic narrowly follows Tails only because IMO his only major negative point is that Eggman is the MAIN villain, and Metal is more of his sidekick. The only reason why they'd go for Metal over Eggman is for speedier development since they can use Sonic's model as a base.

Then Shadow, because although they could replace his AT with someone else, I don't feel enough passion from Sakurai and team regarding Sonic as a whole to do it.

Knuckles is both a background character and an AT.

Amy could be the only left-field character revealed from Sonic. But I bet they believe a lot of people would be upset. Personally, that'd be awesome.

Then the rest are flat out irrelevant at this point, as much as I'd love to see Blaze, Mighty, or Chaotix as a pokemon Trainer style swap team
if Tails Egman Knuckles Shadow and Metal are in (which again may take some time i would love to see Mephilis yeah 06 was a Buggy mess and had a far too realistic artstyle but Mephilis is just so Creepy that im definitly taking notes from when designing the Villan in a gmae i want to make (which 1st may take a while 2nd. i cant spill the beans now) but Mephilis will get at best a Spirit

UserKev

Smash Champion
Imagine thinking that "people love to dunk on Knuckles" yet claiming everyone "gives Shadow a pass for everything" when if anything, it's been the other way around for years. At best, it's only been very recently when most people take Shadow seriously, and even then, a good amount of people insist that he's only good for being an echo, yet insist Knuckles deserves more, despite the fact neither of them are really more unique than the other.

But yeah, one person says Knuckles isn't necessary so Knuckles gets dunked on a lot.
Nope, Shadow has one of the most biggest fan bases ever, so that alone could get him in with Sega most likely being right behind in support. Shadow actually got his own game, so I know what I'm talking about.

Knuckles is not even close to being a Wario, nor is Shadow a Waluigi. Knuckles at the absolute best is the Yoshi and Shadow is the Wario, since Shadow is actually Sonic's main rival, whereas Knuckles is essentially just a third wheel for Sonic and Tails now. Even if we were to insist that is somehow comparable to spinoff filler and isn't Sonic's main rival, then Metal Sonic would be the Wario, like he was before Shadow showed up and claimed that spot.

Then again most of the Sonic cast nowadays are pretty much treated like a bunch of Waluigis so perhaps this whole "role" debate is pointless
You know what I mean. Wario and Knuckles are both cocky characters and macho. Maybe Waluigi wasn't a good comparison tho, other than both seeing a sudden rise in popularity. Shadow made the spot as Sonic's main rival because its simply what Sega made happen. The same could've also be said for otherwise if Sega wanted it.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
imo best case scenario is this:

FP2:
eggman

Smash 6:
Tails
Shadow or Metal as Echo

Smash 6 DLC:
Maybe Knuckles
to be fair i hope that the rest of Dlc goes like this
1st Bandana Dee or Dark Matter
2nd. A good Zelda rep (impa would make the most sense but maybe Skul kid or a Goron)
3rd another Villan For a old Franchise i specificaly have in mind Eggman or Porky(weird both use Mechs?)

This would round Ultimates Roster just really out

Otoad64

Smash Lord
to be fair i hope that the rest of Dlc goes like this
1st Bandana Dee or Dark Matter
2nd. A good Zelda rep (impa would make the most sense but maybe Skul kid or a Goron)
3rd another Villan For a old Franchise i specificaly have in mind Eggman or Porky(weird both use Mechs?)

This would round Ultimates Roster just really out
if bandana dee impa and eggman were the last dlc characters i would be the opposite of dissapointed

Oracle Link

Smash Master
if bandana dee impa and eggman were the last dlc characters i would be the opposite of dissapointed
yeah sadly a lot of people would get angry about not getting new Franchises which is just so sad Zelda Kirby and Sonic Really need a Rep so that Ultimate Has a more Well rounded Roster

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Trolling/bait
If we get another Sonic Character at all, it's probably Tails as a Joke Character, Classic Sonic and Tails, Infinite, or the Create A Character from Forces. Yeah, that's how unlikely a Second Furry from a Bad Video Game Series is to get into Smash. Freakin' ZERO chance of ever happening BYE BYE!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If we get another Sonic Character at all, it's probably Tails as a Joke Character, Classic Sonic and Tails, Infinite, or the Create A Character from Forces. Yeah, that's how unlikely a Second Furry from a Bad Video Game Series is to get into Smash. Freakin' ZERO chance of ever happening BYE BYE!
first of why does everyone hate furries?
second of i know sega is dumb but sonic had good games played some of Adventure lately(with Safe states not because of gltches but because I AM bad at sonic its supposed to be hard)
third Eggman is a Human
fourth Tails was (thanks sega) a cool character like Krillin/Kuririn
fifth dont be %$&*head (this means Hatehead)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do think SEGA would definitely be open for another Sonic rep. Maybe Nintendo or Sakurai has other characters they would like to add instead? 🤷‍♂️
It's always about that kind of priority, I think. Adding second characters for third party series is all well and good, but there are still at least 6+ other companies and other series they might have to pay attention to at the same time, never mind occasionally adding Nintendo fighters.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
lets hope shadow isnt an echo. there's so much unique stuff shadow has that sonic doesnt, so making him an echo is likely, but undeserved. i'd personally want something like legacy xp's shadow, but who knows?
I want him to not be an echo too, but if they made daisy and dark samus echoes they'll probably make shadow an echo

7NATOR

Smash Master
I want him to not be an echo too, but if they made daisy and dark samus echoes they'll probably make shadow an echo
Considering how They did Ken and Richter, I Don't think they'll make Shadow an Echo. Simon and Richter share a Moveset and Ken has his unique Stuff

Remember that Dark Samus and Daisy have different Merits from Shadow

Daisy does not have the most Source material. There's the Sports Equipment, but that's something that's not unique to her Specfically. I don't think she should have been a Carbon Clone however

Dark Samus was a Sacrifice for Ridley, but also she's not as Relevant of a character, since her Last Appearance was in 2007 or 2009 I Believe (Not Counting Smash)

Shadow has Alot of Source Material Exclusive and Attributed to him, he is a Relevant Character. Plus with Sega having to give the clear to Shadow's Moveset, I don't think he'd be Echo, even if Technically he could work

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Shadow's been playable in like 5 main games if we count his own.
Yet in all of them, he's played exact like Sonic, with a few added moves like a karate chop, wielding weapons and riding vehicles.
If they can go for an echo, they most likely will.

However, spinoffs count for Sakurai as well, fortunately, so Sonic Battle would most certainly be considered for moves.

Now imagine Sakurai reveals Amy for St.Valentine's.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Shadow's been playable in like 5 main games if we count his own.
Yet in all of them, he's played exact like Sonic, with a few added moves like a karate chop, wielding weapons and riding vehicles.
If they can go for an echo, they most likely will.

However, spinoffs count for Sakurai as well, fortunately, so Sonic Battle would most certainly be considered for moves.

Poor Sonic Run!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm honestly not sure why people don't talk more about Amy. She's been around even longer than Knuckles has and just as long as Metal Sonic. She could have a decent moveset, with her hammer, and...uh, Tarot cards? Sure, and...yeah, they would have to take some creative liberties but I'm sure it could work.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm honestly not sure why people don't talk more about Amy. She's been around even longer than Knuckles has and just as long as Metal Sonic. She could have a decent moveset, with her hammer, and...uh, Tarot cards? Sure, and...yeah, they would have to take some creative liberties but I'm sure it could work.
i guess problem is between her and the letter are Eggman,Tails,Knuckles and Shadow after them Maybe?
Silver like i said probably 20 years in the destroyed iblis (or other evil Entity because Retcon) Future

Otoad64

Smash Lord
well it's because amy doesn't make sense as a 2nd rep, they would have to add at least tails before amy or else it would be weird

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well it's because amy doesn't make sense as a 2nd rep, they would have to add at least tails before amy or else it would be weird
This is fair reasoning. Besides, Eggman still came before either of them (chronologically or otherwise), so Amy would make more sense if they came in a package deal at the same time at best. This most definitely isn`t a chicken or egg coming first joke.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Amy is weird. Even back in the Adventure-06 "every character is important" era, she fluctuated between one of the mains and a side character. At least Shadow was consistently a main character during that time.

Lenidem

Smash Lord

Nope, Shadow has one of the most biggest fan bases ever, so that alone could get him in with Sega most likely being right behind in support. Shadow actually got his own game, so I know what I'm talking about.

You know what I mean. Wario and Knuckles are both cocky characters and macho. Maybe Waluigi wasn't a good comparison tho, other than both seeing a sudden rise in popularity. Shadow made the spot as Sonic's main rival because its simply what Sega made happen. The same could've also be said for otherwise if Sega wanted it.
So who's Toad?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Sadly, Knuckles and Shadow are out, due to their Assist Trophy status. Tails and Dr. Eggman would be the next best bets, but seeing as we already have a fighter who uses a vehicle to fight (Bowser Jr.), I'm not too positive about Dr. Eggman's odds.
Would two vehicle characters on a roster of over 80 really be too many? I certainly don't think so. If Bowser Jr had just gotten added, I could see the devs not wanting to add Eggman anytime soon because they might want better variety (or they might not care about that so much, who knows?), but more than enough time has passed since Bowser Jr got added that I don't think a single soul will complain if we get a second vehicle character. And there's plenty Eggman could bring to make him feel completely unique to Bowser Jr!

I'm personally hoping, if Eggman gets added, they include the wrecking ball as probably a down B. It's iconic, and would make for great meme material:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The only issue is whether the Eggmobile can fit due to its size, which I have seen debates over before. Which probably won't be too much of a concern. :ultridley:
He could be roughly as big as Bowser when piloting it. Maybe even the slightest bit smaller. Eggman's a pretty big guy but he's probably not even taller than Ganondorf, so I think sizing would work out fine considering he'd be seated. Even if it looks off from canon, it's not a big deal. Olimar would be near impossible to see if we were sticking to canon sizes. We can fudge it and make Eggman slightly smaller if it means his overall size is in line with the other super heavyweights.

And Eggman having various weaponry could even work out in his favor. The wrecking ball, for example, would likely give him a lot of range without extending his hurtbox

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I do think another Sonic Character would be cool, but I don't see it happening this game, especially after Sephiroth. That and I don't think SEGA truly cares enough about Sonic as a Game Series to put in another Character into Smash (probably Knuckles based off of official comments). It could be cool, and getting more Sonic Content would be amazing, but with the State of how things are at the moment when it comes to the games I simply don't see it happening.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
if eggman got in I always imagined we would be in the mech from SA2
I think the EggMobile is more iconic, thus more likely. But the SA2 mech would also be a solid choice! They could even go a really neat route and have them transform into each other, with each form having positives, drawbacks, and perhaps even altered/different attacks! We haven't seen the EggMobile transform into the EggWalker, but I could buy it, and I think others could too

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think the EggMobile is more iconic, thus more likely. But the SA2 mech would also be a solid choice! They could even go a really neat route and have them transform into each other, with each form having positives, drawbacks, and perhaps even altered/different attacks! We haven't seen the EggMobile transform into the EggWalker, but I could buy it, and I think others could too
My dream moveset would have him be like Pokemon Trainer, and he can switch from the Egg Mobile to the Egg Walker to the Egg Dragoon and back again.

Top Bottom