• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's stopping Sonic from getting more characters?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would be a win-win whether a 30th anniversary plan falls through or not. If it goes through, it's a good cross-promotion. If it falls through, at least something good is coming out of the Sonic series around that time.

Of course, IIRC, Sega has more franchises represented through playable characters than the other third-party companies. Maybe they'll go for another just to keep that record, like Kiryu or Arle.

Come to think of it, it is pretty surreal that Sega is making this big comeback with their non-Sonic franchises. This could be the start of their renaissance since they quit making consoles.
Technically speaking, Sonic is the only one in Smash being a home-raised Sega character, the rest are hand-me-downs from their associates. It would be nice to get Kiryu, at least (especially seeing how oddly...convinced that Nagoshi doesn't expect him in Smash?). Arle is technically a Compile refugee, but that's irrelevant at this stage.

I remember when Yakuza bombed so badly in the West after Dead Souls that 5 was released digital-only (at Sony's direct involvement). Luckily, Zero got things to pick up for it again over there, though I do find it pretty strange that the entire series wound up being ported for the Xbox One, of all things.

Then there's the hat trick that was done with the Puyo Puyo Tetris crossover, scoring a loophole with a company using strict guidelines.

As for Sakura Wars, I have no idea how that'll pan out, as its comeback is slow in Japan.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
How did that happen?
Sony's ownership shifted to the NA branch way back in 2018ish after the majority share was owned there and they began censoring games, most of which anime. The most notable instance being the censorship of Omega Labyrinth Life which removed the Omega symbol from the logo entirely. Japanese game devs reportedly were pretty miffed about their games getting needlessly censored and harsher new policies which made porting games onto the console in America more difficult, one of which was asking Japanese developers to plead their approval only in English, making the process even more difficult for developers whose staff only speak or write in Japanese.

Which is one theory as to why we're seeing more PC/XBone ports in recent years.

Yakuza, meanwhile, decided to test the international markets after Dead Souls bombed the franchise with Yakuza 0, a prequel to the first game. Unlike other titles, it really dialed up the series' unique charm of telling a serious story and....well, being Yakuza. The trick worked and thus began a golden age of Yakuza in America. Like a Dragon has only further driven the point home as it still retains the wackiness of the other games while introducing a whole new cast.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sony's ownership shifted to the NA branch way back in 2018ish after the majority share was owned there and they began censoring games, most of which anime. The most notable instance being the censorship of Omega Labyrinth Life which removed the Omega symbol from the logo entirely. Japanese game devs reportedly were pretty miffed about their games getting needlessly censored and harsher new policies which made porting games onto the console in America more difficult, one of which was asking Japanese developers to plead their approval only in English, making the process even more difficult for developers whose staff only speak or write in Japanese.

Which is one theory as to why we're seeing more PC/XBone ports in recent years.

Yakuza, meanwhile, decided to test the international markets after Dead Souls bombed the franchise with Yakuza 0, a prequel to the first game. Unlike other titles, it really dialed up the series' unique charm of telling a serious story and....well, being Yakuza. The trick worked and thus began a golden age of Yakuza in America. Like a Dragon has only further driven the point home as it still retains the wackiness of the other games while introducing a whole new cast.
And that was the catalyst for Sega doing things like reviving Wonder Boy, Streets of Rage, and Alex Kidd?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And that was the catalyst for Sega doing things like reviving Wonder Boy, Streets of Rage, and Alex Kidd?
To be fair, even without getting directly involved they still gave the okay to the developers who wanted to take another stab at those (especially Shenmue and ToeJam and Earl, which got new installments from their actual original authors).

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
It's up for debate, but the lineup was really just coincidence. Each game that was "reviving" an old series was made by devs who clearly understood what made their series successful and put love and energy into their products. It's almost like the games were already profitable and the reluctance to improve upon ideas and experiment with new ones was a bad decision. Really makes you think.

also, shoutout to Shenmue devs. It takes astronomical levels of gall to end Shenmue 3 the way they did.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As far as I see it, Eggman's current best shot is if Sega decided to use Smash as a back-up plan in case their plans for Sonic's 30th fall through somehow.
Thing is, Fighter's Pass 2 was most likely greenlited back in the Summer of 2019 so all the characters in that Pass were written in stone right when Fighter's Pass 2 was decided on. Not to say Eggman can't be in the Pass, but something like his inclusion being a back up plan in case Sonic's 30th anniversary fails seems kind of farfetched. I would be up for it either way, but I just think that won't be the reason if Eggman does manage to get in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thing is, Fighter's Pass 2 was most likely greenlited back in the Summer of 2019 so all the characters in that Pass were written in stone right when Fighter's Pass 2 was decided on. Not to say Eggman can't be in the Pass, but something like his inclusion being a back up plan in case Sonic's 30th anniversary fails seems kind of farfetched. I would be up for it either way, but I just think that won't be the reason if Eggman does manage to get in.
I figure it would be in a way that's "oh, our big Sonic news never panned out, oh well, at least Eggman is still going to be in Smash so it's not a total loss".

It's up for debate, but the lineup was really just coincidence. Each game that was "reviving" an old series was made by devs who clearly understood what made their series successful and put love and energy into their products. It's almost like the games were already profitable and the reluctance to improve upon ideas and experiment with new ones was a bad decision. Really makes you think.

also, shoutout to Shenmue devs. It takes astronomical levels of gall to end Shenmue 3 the way they did.
Here's more food for thought: Nagoshi stated that if given the chance, he would make a Sonic game that's "very different". The only thing that's currently stopping him from doing that is working on the Yakuza series.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know how long another Sonic character would take to make, but what if SEGA, having no Sonic game in the near future, decided a while back to include another one in Smash?

There's a good chemistry between Mario and Sonic characters, after watching Tokyo 2020 Olympics, and it'd be a tremendous waste not to follow on it and include at least one more.

Heck... A smash game of only Mario and Sonic characters would be a dream come true.
But I bet there's going to be quite a bit of mandates getting in the way.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Right now, the Tails and Knuckles Mii Costumes as well as Shadow as an Assist Trophy are the biggest barriers to a second Sonic rep, but Eggman is certainly possible, but it seems a bit odd to release two third party villains in one Pass.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't know how long another Sonic character would take to make, but what if SEGA, having no Sonic game in the near future, decided a while back to include another one in Smash?

There's a good chemistry between Mario and Sonic characters, after watching Tokyo 2020 Olympics, and it'd be a tremendous waste not to follow on it and include at least one more.

Heck... A smash game of only Mario and Sonic characters would be a dream come true.
But I bet there's going to be quite a bit of mandates getting in the way.
With COVID slowing down everything, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Mania and Forces technically didn't make the timing for the 25th anniversary despite being billed as such. They might have to pull the same thing out of necessity for the 30th.

Right now, the Tails and Knuckles Mii Costumes as well as Shadow as an Assist Trophy are the biggest barriers to a second Sonic rep, but Eggman is certainly possible, but it seems a bit odd to release two third party villains in one Pass.
I don't think the Mii costume barrier is a barrier considering there are costumes based on characters already in Smash. If it is a barrier, it's a weakly justified one for the same reasons.

Even then, they can very well break the Assist Trophy for DLC barrier if they wanted to. I don't think they will, at least for Ultimate, but they might.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't think the Mii costume barrier is a barrier considering there are costumes based on characters already in Smash. If it is a barrier, it's a weakly justified one for the same reasons.
Maybe base game Miis, but PAID Mii Costumes? Tails and Knuckles are paid costumes, so Nintendo might think that fans will feel ripped off for buying a Mii Costume for a character revealed to be fully playable later.
But I hope I'm wrong. I want Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, AND Eggman and Metal Sonic, Amy, Silver, Blaze, and Rouge.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Maybe base game Miis, but PAID Mii Costumes? Tails and Knuckles are paid costumes, so Nintendo might think that fans will feel ripped off for buying a Mii Costume for a character revealed to be fully playable later.
But I hope I'm wrong. I want Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, AND Eggman and Metal Sonic, Amy, Silver, Blaze, and Rouge.
I'd take that more as encouragement that people want a character in. If enough people buy a Mii costume, they'll be dedicated enough to pay more for the actual character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, Mii costumes are currently consolation prizes. So unless there's like one or two more DLC extensions after Pass 2 is done, I don't really see anything happening until the next game as far as promoting those is concerned.

In the meantime, make sure that Tails and Knuckles' costumes are as bought as much as possible. Just don't act surprised if nothing happens this time.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Then again, there is the possibility that they'll add all villains for the remaining spots-Eggman, Porky, and Master Hand if you will.
Also I think the Mii Costumes still have a chance as they were added in the first quarter of 2019 and I think a lot can change in the span of two years.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Right now, the biggest Sonic characters I can see are Robonitk, Tails, Amy, and Blaze

Unless there's a third patch or wanting to save a Sonic character for one of the last 3 characters in this DLC batch

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Right now, the biggest Sonic characters I can see are Robonitk, Tails, Amy, and Blaze

Unless there's a third patch or wanting to save a Sonic character for one of the last 3 characters in this DLC batch
Nothing against Amy or Blaze, but I think Knuckles and Shadow should take priority first because I see Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow as Sonic's Bowser, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario in terms of importance. Amy could be considered as like Sonic's Peach, but I think Knuckles and Shadow would and should take priority over her first.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Nothing against Amy or Blaze, but I think Knuckles and Shadow should take priority first because I see Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow as Sonic's Bowser, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario in terms of importance. Amy could be considered as like Sonic's Peach, but I think Knuckles and Shadow would and should take priority over her first.
I assume he didn't mention them because they're assist trophies

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I definitely agree with you. The problem is all the good choices (Knuckles and Shadow) are usually the first on the fans' minds. They got taken away for AT. Tails is automatically the next popular with Eggman behind. Amy and Blaze can both bring some unique movesets into the series and I'm kinda a sucker for both of the ladies. Blaze being one of my favorites of the Sonic characters makes me slightly biased here. Blaze could work as a semi clone to Sonic but with some unique specials. Same goes for Amy. Amy's got more working for her with her hammer.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I think a realistic roadmap would be Tails/Eggman for FP2, Knuckles for Smash 6 base, then Eggman/Tails for Smash 6 DLC. Maybe with Shadow as a Sonic echo for Smash 6 base.
That sounds approximately close to the way the Sonic representation would eventually resolve. If these members are included, and I think their chances are high for the ado made about them, It would seem that a greater movement must be made in pushing for these newcomers to have interesting, distinctive movesets. Otherwise, there may be too many echoes or semi-clones.

Take a look, we would already have THREE characters (Knuckles, Shadow, and Amy) who could potentially swallow some of Sonic's moves, robbing them of the individuality they could otherwise have easy access to due to their many appearances and source materials. There are so many ways to make these characters unique, but I am afraid the team at Sora might be tempted to 'shave' a little time by making them near Sonic variants. For this reason, we may be taking the bait for being so concerned with their attendance that we do not draw enough attention to the importance of preventing them from being mere redundancies.

Perhaps this effort is already underway, but I feel the above statements cannot be repeated too many times.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
That sounds approximately close to the way the Sonic representation would eventually resolve. If these members are included, and I think their chances are high for the ado made about them, It would seem that a greater movement must be made in pushing for these newcomers to have interesting, distinctive movesets. Otherwise, there may be too many echoes or semi-clones.

Take a look, we would already have THREE characters (Knuckles, Shadow, and Amy) who could potentially swallow some of Sonic's moves, robbing them of the individuality they could otherwise have easy access to due to their many appearances and source materials. There are so many ways to make these characters unique, but I am afraid the team at Sora might be tempted to 'shave' a little time by making them near Sonic variants. For this reason, we may be taking the bait for being so concerned with their attendance that we do not draw enough attention to the importance of preventing them from being mere redundancies.

Perhaps this effort is already underway, but I feel the above statements cannot be repeated too many times.
honestly the only character I'm ok with being a sonic echo is metal, and even he could easily be a semi clone. shadow is understandable but if tails, knuckles and amy were sonic clones that would be a massive betrayal of those characters. some people justify it by saying things like "but knuckles used the homing attack in rivals" but that just isn't a good reasoning because they all have very unique abilities and there is no good reason to not include them.

but just in general I would rather nobody have sonic's current moveset tbh

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
honestly the only character I'm ok with being a sonic echo is metal, and even he could easily be a semi clone. shadow is understandable but if tails, knuckles and amy were sonic clones that would be a massive betrayal of those characters. some people justify it by saying things like "but knuckles used the homing attack in rivals" but that just isn't a good reasoning because they all have very unique abilities and there is no good reason to not include them.

Just as I would have said it. Honestly, I have only played one non-mobile Sonic game, but I suppose that is an even bigger case for individualizing their movesets. I easily see Knuckles as a powerful character with short range, low endlag, high start lag attacks; Amy as a quick, compact powerhouse with disjoints and high endlag; and Tails as a safe character with many mobility control options-- an easy to control, but weak character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

As much as it pains me, the only way I see Metal Sonic happening is as an echo (I mean look at Dark Samus) through some sort of VERY generous freebie tie-in with the actual Sonic reveal.

Can't say it makes him justice, as my ideal Metal Sonic would use stuff from Sonic, Wolf (claws), Mewtwo (nair) Zelda (B) among others.
But an echo is way better than nothing so.

Quillion

Smash Hero

To be fair, the other characters' best-received appearances are where they play "like Sonic + X ability" (see: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Advance games, Sonic Mania), so I honestly wouldn't mind if they share just a few moves with Sonic.

And really, even though there's a big demand for Sonic to use moves from Sonic Battle, how iconic is that game really? People are starting to say that Sonic the Fighters, simplistic as even that game is, is the better of the two official Sonic fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, the other characters' best-received appearances are where they play "like Sonic + X ability" (see: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Advance games, Sonic Mania), so I honestly wouldn't mind if they share just a few moves with Sonic.

And really, even though there's a big demand for Sonic to use moves from Sonic Battle, how iconic is that game really? People are starting to say that Sonic the Fighters, simplistic as even that game is, is the better of the two official Sonic fighters.
In general, Sak just usually doesn't seem to pay too much attention to spin-off material anyway unless a main character in question is the exclusive star of said spin-off.

At most, what we'd get from fighting spin-offs are Emerl and Honey, and those two are so far off the radar that I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon, if ever.

So I can accept the :ultisabelle: route, really. It's not like they would have too many alternatives for anyone that isn't Eggman, Amy or Omega.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think the reason people call for Sonic to have some Battle moves is that the current set has a lot of Fighters moves, which not many people played, compared to Battle, which isn't represented at all despite being more accessible. Plus I think many would just rather Sonic have the Sonic Eagle than Falco's forward air.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
My thoughts exactly. They should share a few key moves with Sonic. Primarily this would be related to rolling attacks. That latter portion about Sonic Battle and other, lesser titles: They do not HAVE to be referenced. They are simply more resources that can be used if developers run out of road in the creative process.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I definitely agree with you. The problem is all the good choices (Knuckles and Shadow) are usually the first on the fans' minds. They got taken away for AT. Tails is automatically the next popular with Eggman behind. Amy and Blaze can both bring some unique movesets into the series and I'm kinda a sucker for both of the ladies. Blaze being one of my favorites of the Sonic characters makes me slightly biased here. Blaze could work as a semi clone to Sonic but with some unique specials. Same goes for Amy. Amy's got more working for her with her hammer.
Knuckles and Shadow might be more popular than Tails or Eggman, but they're not as important or as iconic. Eggman has literally been in the games since the very beginning and Tails has been in the games since Sonic 2 so they have quite the seniority over the others. And I also see Tails and Eggman as Sonic's Luigi and Bowser in terms of importance and iconicness.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Knuckles and Shadow might be more popular than Tails or Eggman, but they're not as important or as iconic. Eggman has literally been in the games since the very beginning and Tails has been in the games since Sonic 2 so they have quite the seniority over the others. And I also see Tails and Eggman as Sonic's Luigi and Bowser in terms of importance and iconicness.
Like I've aforementioned, popularity iconicness/fame. Getting back on topic, Tails is more iconic than Shadow, but not more popular, in a similar fashion to how Megaman is more iconic, but not more popular than Ryu (Street Fighter).

There are also special circumstances where a character or media can be popular, in spite of their obscurity. An example is Lilac (Freedom Planet).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tails playing like Sonic + Ability is a type of a clone anyway. Isabelle is literally a type of gameplay clone(the semi-clone, as the fanbase calls it) as is.

Only Shadow and Metal Sonic have the bodyshape to be an actual Echo. The rest can be a form of clone(though after a while, some characters just don't work, like Rouge, who is way too far off from the base to really be anything more than what Cloud is to Ike) easily, and that's often what they are.

Echo is not nor ever was the same thing as simply a clone. It's an extremely specific subset introduced in Ultimate that requires the exact same bodyshape. Any other details are unknown. Isabelle is pretty much similar to what Young Link is, directly borrowing from another character, but has a different fundamental bodyshape so is a different kind of clone than an Echo. Literally only Dr. Mario among the clones could qualify as an Echo due to the same actual boyshape. And that's it.

All of those neat choices mentioned earlier could easily work as clones regardless. But I'd expect them to be closer to Isabelle than someone like Cloud either way, still borrowing animations and abilities, but having a lot of their own spins(literally) and personality added in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Tails playing like Sonic + Ability is a type of a clone anyway. Isabelle is literally a type of gameplay clone(the semi-clone, as the fanbase calls it) as is.

Only Shadow and Metal Sonic have the bodyshape to be an actual Echo. The rest can be a form of clone(though after a while, some characters just don't work, like Rouge, who is way too far off from the base to really be anything more than what Cloud is to Ike) easily, and that's often what they are.

Echo is not nor ever was the same thing as simply a clone. It's an extremely specific subset introduced in Ultimate that requires the exact same bodyshape. Any other details are unknown. Isabelle is pretty much similar to what Young Link is, directly borrowing from another character, but has a different fundamental bodyshape so is a different kind of clone than an Echo. Literally only Dr. Mario among the clones could qualify as an Echo due to the same actual boyshape. And that's it.

All of those neat choices mentioned earlier could easily work as clones regardless. But I'd expect them to be closer to Isabelle than someone like Cloud either way, still borrowing animations and abilities, but having a lot of their own spins(literally) and personality added in.
I guess for Shadow, they can go the "similar normals, different specials" semi-clone/semi-echo route. Like I said here, there are three general patterns to semi-clones: similar normals, similar specials; different normals, similar specials; and half-similar normals and specials. A semi-clone with similar normals and different specials would be uncharted territory in the cloning business.

Really, they could stand to have similar normals, different specials-type clones for several characters. I personally hope Galacta Knight would be that type of clone to Meta Knight.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If they really want Shadow to stand out, they can have him use his motorcycle for the side special. Have him play chicken with the other anti-hero. :ultwario:

Well, that and a semi-Witch Time implementation of Chaos Control. :ultbayonetta:

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If they really want Shadow to stand out, they can have him use his motorcycle for the side special. Have him play chicken with the other anti-hero. :ultwario:

Well, that and a semi-Witch Time implementation of Chaos Control. :ultbayonetta:
I mean, Shadow's specialset practically makes itself. I don't think the other characters can as easily claim that.

Neutral-B: Chaos Spear
Side-B: Shadow Bike
Up-B: Chaos Teleport
Down-B: Spin Dash

Top Bottom