• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Or perhaps, because you have to FIGHT Ridley.
yeah, to unlock him.

scaling is not an issue, he has a perfect chance. he wont be another Bowser because for one, he already has enough games where you can have a good moveset created from. he is not as slow as bowser, in ANY metroid game. his wings, in case you didnt play Prime, burn off after some time during his fight, so the wing size ratio CAN be worked with.

Dont take this as an attack, i just tend to type like this on forums.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I'm actually thinking some of these themes, unless otherwise stated (battlefield), aren't even meant for play during actual stages. The Yoshi song and this one are just far too short to be played during a fight - I think every song in Melee was at least 1:30-2:00 per repetition (like Battlefield's is).

These songs might be released as one of two things: for use in adventure mode under certain events or cinematics, or just as examples of what the composers can do.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Whoa guys,whoa. :laugh: Well,heres how I look at it.Nintendo knows that this game is a bit over populated with people from the Mario cast(Mario,Luigi,Peach,Bowser,Yoshi) so,with that said,we can except little to no more new dudes from that universe.

Wario and DK technically dont count cuz they starred in there own personal titles in the past,meaning having more than just 1 or 2 hits,and they appeared mostly in the get- togethers games like Mario Kart,Tennis,Party,ect.

Now starting from what melee has created,its sorta safe to say that some of the new additions that where added then were villans from their prospective game.Ex,my chart(I know its ******** but look anyway,lol).NOTE:Kept in mind that Iam only talking about the villans here,not side-sicks or girlfriends.Chances are,if they appeared in 2 games already and/or is popular by demand,they will appear in this one.Luigi for example.

( Mario ) (Link) (Pikachu) (Kirby ) (Samus) (Fox)
{Bowser} {Ganondorf} {Was Mewtwo,now who?} {Metaknight} {?} {?}

(Ness) (Yoshi)
{?} {?,cant say Bowser due to you know who,Baby Bowser prehaps?}

As you see guys,I only listed the heros with a "?" due to there lack of a villan counter-part.So with that said now,4 out of the 8 organial characters have there respective villians,which does in fact increase the chances of either Nintendo filling all the gaps with the "?",meaning adding all 4 missing arch rivals this time around,or add 1 to 2 characters arch rival.

My guess is that they might go ahead and complete the Hero/Villian saga they started in melee,you know,to stay in tradition of things and such? Cuz Wario,Pit,and Snake are already considered heros in there prespective games.And adding the sidekicks/girlfriends to that list is basically the roster.Then with the next game,theyll probably add dudes from the newcomers( hero's currently) universe.Something to think about peoples.

Rash

Smash Ace
I don't see why size with Ridley is still an issue. The shot of him and Samus in the Melee opening movie is probably what Sakurai/Sora would go on if they made Ridley a playable character, seeing as he's not overbearingly big.

That said, if you play any of the Metroid games, Super Metroid in particular, it's not like Ridley is that much bigger than Samus. The ratio of size of Samus/Ridley in that game is about the ratio of the smaller characters in Melee to Bowser, which makes it completely manageable.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Yo Ridley's form is awkward. Where the hell are the hitboxes going to be? His wings are big, and now people are saying we should shrink those...

So lets just *******ize ridley so we can have him as a playable character?

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
Yo Ridley's form is awkward. Where the hell are the hitboxes going to be? His wings are big, and now people are saying we should shrink those...

ridley's hitbox will be like marth's times 10.

I don't see why size with Ridley is still an issue. The shot of him and Samus in the Melee opening movie is probably what Sakurai/Sora would go on if they made Ridley a playable character, seeing as he's not overbearingly big.

That said, if you play any of the Metroid games, Super Metroid in particular, it's not like Ridley is that much bigger than Samus. The ratio of size of Samus/Ridley in that game is about the ratio of the smaller characters in Melee to Bowser, which makes it completely manageable.
ridley's size isnt a big deal. i just brought it up and i got owned by everyone :psycho:

Pip

Smash Apprentice
Also, for the Ridley song it says RIGHT THERE (Ridley Fight), as in 'now we're fighting with Ridley'. Why add the "Ridley Fight" song to a level with no Ridley??
I will direct you to this other quote from the Brawl site.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
In the original game, most of the places where you heard this song were the sites of fierce battles.

As such, this arrangement features a suitable sense of cruelty and tension. It’s magnificent!
Short answer: Perhaps because he thinks it makes for good battle music in general.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Whoa guys,whoa. :laugh: Well,heres how I look at it.Nintendo knows that this game is a bit over populated with people from the Mario cast(Mario,Luigi,Peach,Bowser,Yoshi) so,with that said,we can except little to no more new dudes from that universe.

Wario and DK technically dont count cuz they starred in there own personal titles in the past,meaning having more than just 1 or 2 hits,and they appeared mostly in the get- togethers games like Mario Kart,Tennis,Party,ect.

Now starting from what melee has created,its sorta safe to say that some of the new additions that where added then were villans from their prospective game.Ex,my chart(I know its ******** but look anyway,lol).NOTE:Kept in mind that Iam only talking about the villans here,not side-sicks or girlfriends.Chances are,if they appeared in 2 games already and/or is popular by demand,they will appear in this one.Luigi for example.

( Mario ) (Link) (Pikachu) (Kirby ) (Samus) (Fox)
{Bowser} {Ganondorf} {Was Mewtwo,now who?} {Metaknight} {?} {?}

(Ness) (Yoshi)
{?} {?,cant say Bowser due to you know who,Baby Bowser prehaps?}

As you see guys,I only listed the heros with a "?" due to there lack of a villan counter-part.So with that said now,4 out of the 8 organial characters have there respective villians,which does in fact increase the chances of either Nintendo filling all the gaps with the "?",meaning adding all 4 missing arch rivals this time around,or add 1 to 2 characters arch rival.

My guess is that they might go ahead and complete the Hero/Villian saga they started in melee,you know,to stay in tradition of things and such? Cuz Wario,Pit,and Snake are already considered heros in there prespective games.And adding the sidekicks/girlfriends to that list is basically the roster.Then with the next game,theyll probably add dudes from the newcomers( hero's currently) universe.Something to think about peoples.

Pay attention to patterns fellas.. :) Bowser was character that was once thought to never be fix into a smash game too,and look what happened? Programers can make things that seem impossible possible,and thats be proven time and time again.And Nintendo is a company who knows how to fill in gaps when something is either wrong or missing,just ask any former Kirby player who played him from SSB64 to melee :laugh:

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P

actually, i was just implying that they give him the burned wings so that his flight is limited to recovery, ( is kinda vague. i guess i should have made it clear.) that way, the wings would not be so much a problem as you've been mentioning. i mean, pit has wings, and even though they are smaller than ridley's, they put him in.

Sheep88

Smash Cadet
I'm actually thinking some of these themes, unless otherwise stated (battlefield), aren't even meant for play during actual stages. The Yoshi song and this one are just far too short to be played during a fight - I think every song in Melee was at least 1:30-2:00 per repetition (like Battlefield's is).

These songs might be released as one of two things: for use in adventure mode under certain events or cinematics, or just as examples of what the composers can do.
C'mon, think wise.

Those can be songs for stages.

They won't put the whole song because a song in smashpage is just shown as a preview...

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
As I said before, that song belongs to Ridley. If they're going to put the song in the level, it must pertain to Ridley, and Ridley should be part of it. They're not just randomly going to put that song on some random level. If you think like a pro, you might realize that you can't just do that without there being a point. This is a quality game.

Also, while Bowser is similar to Ridley, Ridley STILL has such an awkward shape I can't see it happeneing. Make it work? How? They could just end up screwing his form up until he looks nothing like Ridley and it's just ********.

He's a cool character. He's an important character. I just see him fitting far better as part of the environment. Him as a character would be too generic. Ridley has always been that passive 'in-the-shadows' character. It's not like Ridley to enter Brawl. He'd much rather fly around causing chaos... Does anyone get what I mean, or am I the only one?

I also have a number of friends that agree with me about Ridley. They would much rather see him in the environment. The yagree that he is too beastly and weird looking to be a cool character...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
As I said before, that song belongs to Ridley. If they're going to put the song in the level, it must pertain to Ridley, and Ridley should be part of it. They're not just randomly going to put that song on some random level. If you think like a pro, you might realize that you can't just do that without there being a point. This is a quality game.

Also, while Bowser is similar to Ridley, Ridley STILL has such an awkward shape I can't see it happeneing. Make it work? How? They could just end up screwing his form up until he looks nothing like Ridley and it's just ********.

He's a cool character. He's an important character. I just see him fitting far better as part of the environment. Him as a character would be too generic. Ridley has always been that passive 'in-the-shadows' character. It's not like Ridley to enter Brawl. He'd much rather fly around causing chaos... Does anyone get what I mean, or am I the only one?

I also have a number of friends that agree with me about Ridley. They would much rather see him in the environment. The yagree that he is too beastly and weird looking to be a cool character...
i disagree with everything you say (except the part of Ridley being cool, that is true)

Ridley in the intro to melee looked about the size of Bowser. Ridley has a posture sort of like bowser, hunched over and stuff. Make him hunched to keep his size in check, maybe keep his tail near his feet, like curled (except when he attacks or is flying, then it will move) for the hitbox argument, and stuff like that.

i know sakurai can make Ridley fit, and i STRONGLY feel Ridley will be a playable character, NOT just a part of the enviornment

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Ridley is an awkward character that I think would ruin the experience of Smash Brothers. He is a flying character, the only character that would not run on stage like the rest. I just don't think he is a suitable character. A boss, sure, but that's it.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
It's not like Bowser, or Wario where the characters have had major roles in certain games (or even games of their own) with signature sayings, or gestures.. This is a character that only ever appears to fight Samus, and then that's it. Ridley's character is not established enough and is sketchy at best.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
. Does anyone get what I mean, or am I the only one?
yes, you are.

seriously, how many times will noobs go on about this "size" BS? ANY character can be scaled down. sora can do it. they have the technology. bowser was large, but he was scaled down. the great fox and a lot of stages were scaled down for no real reason. so why cant ridely be? is ridley special for some reason? no, he can be scaled down like everyone else. his tail can be as big as it wants, it most likely wont count as part of his hitbox anyway. ridely can always retract his wings, so they wont get in the way. so quit this "Z0mG, ridley cAnT be sc4led d0wn" bull. save nonplayable bosses and stage hazards for more undeserving villans, like kraid.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Let me recap things again in slow motion.Four outta the main organial 8 NOW currently have rivals(guessing Pikachu has one already due to his universe is always changing).

That leaves Ness,Samus,Fox,and Yoshi without a rival.If you guys understand those characters games,youll understand that each of those bosses(badguys)are different from each other.And what was stated a few months back about the changes in this game?? If you said "no more clones-like characters" then you are 100% correct.So,if you think for once,you know that also means that "THERE HAS TO BE CHARACTER REPLACEMENTS/MOVESET CHANGES FOR THE CLONES"as well.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Bowser's size was scaled down, we aren't talking about size (well, I'm not anyway.) Why completely change the way a character moves and reacts when he can just simply be a boss character or have a cameo appearance?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Bowser's size was scaled down, we aren't talking about size (well, I'm not anyway.) Why completely change the way a character moves and reacts when he can just simply be a boss character or have a cameo appearance?
because that would be ********. ridley can still be playable without any major changes. they would just have to add moves and scale him down a bit. whats wrong with that?
if he was a simple, nonplayable boss, that would be a big "screw (attack) you" to all the smash fans that wanted ridley in brawl, but didn't, because a few people thought he would be to "akward."
as I said before, why cant sakurai confirm ridley now, so that people will stop annoyingly denying his inclusion in brawl?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Tomorrow ( or rather today, it's a little past midnight now ), I'll try to draw some sketches to see how I see Ridley in Brawl.

The size issue isn't THAT simple, I know. If you resized a quadruped, they'd look extremely awkward compared to a biped character. But Ridley isn't really quadruped. In fact, imagine him like something between Mewtwo and DK.
DK is as broad as he's tall, which kinda equates to Ridley's wings. They'd stretch into the fore- and background. No hitboxes involved. His physique is somewhat similar to Mewtwo. Lanky, long tail, similar pose, really. Ridley would just still be somewhat larger.

Does he have to be slow?
No.
As Captain Falcon shows, strong characters don't have to be slow and fast characters don't have to be weak.
Ridley could have quick movement but slow attacks ( which he also has in the games, I've just watched some videos ).
He could have good aerial movement, but be slow to actually get off the ground.
A good mixture of slowness and agility would work perfectly to give him the right feeling of dragon-ness and stuff.

Also, about his wings.
I imagined this.

You play Story Mode or something with Samus. At the end, you are in a scary, dark arena with fire and rocks and crap.
You encounter Meta-Ridley. He's like a mix between Giga Bowser and Master Hand.
You defeat him, he falls to the ground, his armor breaks and explosions are everywhere.

The battle is over.
A new challenger is approaching.
Ridley with burnt wings. And he wants revenge.
You defeat and thus unlock Ridley.

You play Story Mode again, with Ridley. The final boss is a dark version of Meta-Ridley. You defeat it.

The stage, complete with Meta-Ridley as a stage hazard, is now unlocked.

Use your fantasy.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
yes, you are.

seriously, how many times will noobs go on about this "size" BS? ANY character can be scaled down. sora can do it. they have the technology. bowser was large, but he was scaled down. the great fox and a lot of stages were scaled down for no real reason. so why cant ridely be? is ridley special for some reason? no, he can be scaled down like everyone else. his tail can be as big as it wants, it most likely wont count as part of his hitbox anyway. ridely can always retract his wings, so they wont get in the way. so quit this "Z0mG, ridley cAnT be sc4led d0wn" bull. save nonplayable bosses and stage hazards for more undeserving villans, like kraid.
It's n00bs like you that think anything can be done "Because I want that". I KNOW they can scale him down, I KNOW they can make moves up, I KNOW that they can add animation, and I KNOW that will **** him UP.

I'd rather have a traditional Ridley flying around in a **** level doing cooler moves and firing missles/destructive lazers than some screwed up half ***** dumbed down version of him as a character no ones going to use because "he can't fly, they shrunk his wings in Brawl" or some stupid-*** **** like that.

And according to your logic, Kraid could be a character. They can just shrink him. They'll make it work.

Too bad it'd be GAAAY.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Why confirm something that may never come? Don't count your chickens before they hatch. My opinion may not matter much, and frankly, yours doesn't either, because it isn't up to us. Let's just sit back, wait, and see what happens.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
It's n00bs like you that think anything can be done "Because I want that". I KNOW they can scale him down, I KNOW they can make moves up, I KNOW that they can add animation, and I KNOW that will **** him UP.

I'd rather have a traditional Ridley flying around in a **** level doing cooler moves and firing missles/destructive lazers than some screwed up half ***** dumbed down version of him as a character no ones going to use because "he can't fly, they shrunk his wings in Brawl" or some stupid-*** **** like that.
well then, tough tooties, my good friend.
you want ridley to do all that. well guess what?
GO PLAY A METROID GAME THEN
end of story

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
They want organially between characters bro :) Not someone thats up+b like Mario's,or down+b like Ganon's,read that journal at the Wii site sometime,its kinda the same idea.When people want 5,they want 10 the next time.

It would not kill to see him actucally being playable(cuz I dunno,it would be the 1st time?),but yet boring and repeative to see him as a cameo yet again(how many Metriods is that again?).Remember Nintendo's 1 of many goals this generation..

~rh

Smash Lord
Ridley's song is sick, always has been one of my favorite boss battle themes. I'm happy they finally put it in. :)

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
tirkaro your constant dismissal of me shows me more than you could ever say in words...

But the fact is, Ridley is a well-liked character, and I'd hate to see him screwed up, wouldnt you agree?

Croco

Smash Lord
It's not like Bowser, or Wario where the characters have had major roles in certain games (or even games of their own) with signature sayings, or gestures.. This is a character that only ever appears to fight Samus, and then that's it. Ridley's character is not established enough and is sketchy at best.
Good.. 2 more people who agree with me also.

Just wanted to point something out to those who disagree with us..
We do know that Ridley can be sized down and we are not disagreeing about this.. BUT we feel it will ruin Ridley's character. Ridley WILL NOT be Ridley anymore.. he will look like a ******/baby pterodactyl.. or really.. a anorexic fire breathing pterodactyl.
Ridley is known to be 3-4 times the size of Samus.. and due to his huge dragon like size he is seen as a powerful threat.

We have any right to hope he will be a boss only and not a character.
So those who disagree with us.. just bugger off because we do not really care as much as you do with our defenses.

You can all have your dreams about Ridley in Brawl.. but we have any right to think he is overrated and only deserves his rightful place a miniboss or cameo.

Just as an example.. Sizing Ridley down would be like sizing these characters down-

Andross
Mother Brain
King Bob-omb
Kraid
Doshin the Giant
Michael Anderson

Either way we aren't going to change your minds and you are not going to change ours.
PLUS.. like I have said before.. Sakurai and his team have probably already decided if Ridley is in Brawl or not as a playble character. So there is no point of arguing.. and we will find out later this year if he is.. or maybe even next month at E3.

Fawriel

Smash Master
*clears his throat and subtly points at his post right at the top of the page?*

It's hardly guaranteed that they'll screw him up. Sure, they screwed up Mewtwo, but they'll learn. I'm positive about it.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
tirkaro your constant dismissal of me shows me more than you could ever say in words...
solid sneak, my consatnt dismissal of you means I like debating with people who have views I cannot understand, and I believe have very shallow expectations. wouldn't you agree?

But the fact is, Ridley is a well-liked character, and I'd hate to see him screwed up, wouldnt you agree?
if he is in brawl, he wont be screwed up. sakurai knows what he is doing. he isn't a game designer, running an entire company for nothing, y'know.

Distort

Smash Rookie
You seriously think Nintendo would do something that stupid? They know their characters more than we ever will. They know the basic laws of physics and they could potentially make Ridley work. Oh, and last time I checked, Ridley doesnt shoot missiles nor "lazers."

Ridley seems like a plausible character to me, although I don't really know how it'd work. The best thing I can think of is him dashing like Mewtwo does now, and having limited jumps like Kirby. His build wouldn't be 3 times the size of Samus... be logical.

Let me recap things again in slow motion.Four outta the main organial 8 NOW currently have rivals(guessing Pikachu has one already due to his universe is always changing).

That leaves Ness,Samus,Fox,and Yoshi without a rival. If you guys understand those characters games,youll understand that each of those bosses(badguys)are different from each other.And what was stated a few months back about the changes in this game?? If you said "no more clones-like characters" then you are 100% correct.So,if you think for once,you know that also means that "THERE HAS TO BE CHARACTER REPLACEMENTS/MOVESET CHANGES FOR THE CLONES"as well.
I don't see Ness having any "badguy" counterpart, because none of the enemies in Earthbound either play such a little role that they hold no significance, or they have no true form, and thus impossible to recreate in a fighting game (Giygas.) As for Fox, that one is pretty obvious. For Yoshi, we got Baby Bowser, a common rival in Yoshi-based games.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Christ.

You people that want Ridley in sound more like children, and it IS child-like to want a character in regardless of how much it could ruin them, and bash other peoples opinions.

Can you just not accept the fact that Ridley would seem demented in a Smash game? If he was in, they'd level him down to characters like Pikachu, it'd just be ********.

"LOL IM PIKACHU I KICKED RIDLEY'S *** ROFL"

That would be **** insulting.

Ridley is the baddest mofo in the galaxy and I'll be ****ed if I see the day Mario can twirl him out of an arena.

Stop acting like children and give me constructive points. Props to Fawriel who is taking this discussion maturely.

Croco

Smash Lord
Christ.

You people that want Ridley in sound more like children, and it IS child-like to want a character in regardless of how much it could ruin them, and bash other peoples opinions.

Can you just not accept the fact that Ridley would seem demented in a Smash game? If he was in, they'd level him down to characters like Pikachu, it'd just be ********.

Ridley is the baddest mofo in the galaxy and I'll be ****ed if I see the day Mario can twirl him out of an arena.

Stop acting like children and give me constructive points. Props to Fawriel who is taking this discussion maturely.
I'm also.. :grin:
Just read the post I just made..

Fawriel

Smash Master
I can see where you're coming from. Apparently, you love Ridley too much to risk seeing him ruined ( which is kinda contradicted by you calling him overrated at some point, iirc, but anyway ).
I think that shouldn't be an argument, though.
For one, it's kinda selfish. Ganondorf's one heck of a bad guy, too, and he can be owned by a Pichu. THEORETICALLY. Us Zelda fans have feelings, too!
They pretty much ruined Mewtwo, who probably comes closest in Melee to the kind of coolness Ridley radiates. He's weak. But if someone DOES manage to own with them, it looks INCREDIBLY awesome.

It shouldn't be a matter that a character could potentially be degraded when added to the roster. Instead, do it like Gimpy and dedicate yourself to him, then own everyone who thinks he sucks right in their stupid face. Tape it and make awesome videos out of it. Then go around calling Ridley the cutest space dragon. ( The last point is completely optional. )

Besides, I don't see him being bad. I actually think he might become the next Captain Falcon, with Bowser strength and DK speed.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Christ.

I see where you are coming from. It doesn't make sense that a plumber can fling around a giant space dragon who led armies that destroyed entire planets. But then again:

1. Mario has experience handiling large fire breathing reptiles. He can fling a two ton tortoise around.

2. Ridley has been defeated by Samus many times. In Smash Pikachu can defeat Samus. In fact Samus is the "worst" character in the original Smash if you buy into the tier thing.

3. Gannondorf (the king of evil) was given a different moveset then he should have gotten but still retained his powerful attitude even though Pichu could theorectically roll him right off an edge.

Smash is a fun game. But it is also a game of personality. Ridley can still be menancing and still have hs high pitched shrieks while at the same time subject to getting his tail grabbed by Mario and whipped around.

Smash is about heroes and villains of great Nintendo games gathering together for a "fantasy" (yes I know they are fantasy already, but Smash is about fantasy containing fantasy if that makes a lick of sense) royal rumble.

You cannot exclude Ridley because you fear he might be messed up. He is a big Nintendo villain and a great one. He must be playable.

And I m pretty sure Sakurai wuldn't tease us with the song and several mentions of it belonging to Ridley if he wasn't a playable character.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I don't see Ness having any "badguy" counterpart, because none of the enemies in Earthbound either play such a little role that they hold no significance, or they have no true form, and thus impossible to recreate in a fighting game (Giygas.) As for Fox, that one is pretty obvious. For Yoshi, we got Baby Bowser, a common rival in Yoshi-based games.
Sorry man,but thats irrverlant right there,as Marth and Roy really dont look like what they do in the games.They are similar(yes) but far from the same.That alone allows to use the Zelda/Sheik method to recreate Giygas,if it were true that is.But yeah,it can be done just as easy.Read my ealrier post tho next time, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom