• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
For those who think Ridley isn't original enough:

Fox, Falco and Capt. Falcon accend from games where they're in vehicles all the time. (Until recently for Fox, yeah yeah) Ice Climbers were old NES characters no one cared about, Game & Watch was a simple humanoid figure for extremely old games in which he represented everyone and everything, and Peach was a character who spent most her time being captured (note: was).

They can make anything out of anything. You wouldn't expect enough moves for somebody, kinda like Bowser, but they managed to do it anyway. Just wait and see.

As for me, I don't care if he gets in or not. He looks cool, I think he'd be a nice addition, but I honestly am not getting worked up for it.

The original theme loops the same way.
That doesn't exactly make my statement false.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't exactly make my statement false.
Right. But I think it is not plausible that they add an extra part, which was not in the original game. Unless they already did that with a Melee theme? I might be wrong.

Fawriel

Smash Master
ThI would personally perfer Ridley to be a background character shooting **** at you while you fight, because in actuality, Ridley is like, a 2 story tall dragon. And I think that would be ******** in Brawl. Also, he doesn't have enough character to be a good addition to the roster. He would just seem like this random beast, that Samus always kills, with fire... He'll have no sayings, or sugnature gestures, because he's just a mindless beast yo. Ever played metroid??
Have you?
I haven't, and I know that Ridley is actually an intelligent beast. If I recall correctly, he's a high-ranking member of the space pirates, a sort of leader person. Leaders do not get into such a position if all they do is growl and spit plasma.
And I think he's said to be the one who killed Samus' family.

Ridley has more personality than a LOT of possible candidates and current playables.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Personally I wouldn't, those Arwings on Corneria partially dug the stage's grave and if Ridley's fireballs would be anything like them, the stage would be a mess to play on.
Yeah, but I liked it when I was in the mood for some stupid fun.

Last time I checked, G&W and ICs had no character, did they sneak onto everyone's Melee disks then?

And the word you're looking for is recurring. If you played Metroid like you said you did, you'd know he's in about half of the games. The only ones he's not in are Metroid 2 [GB] and Metroid Prime 2 [GC]
G&W/IC's had no character, but they were protagonists, which makes up for it. To me, having a protagonist added will fit regardless of the personality, because it was YOU who was that character when you played the game. If a villain is added, they need more flare to fit in. A kind of style that makes them THAT villain. Ganondorf is a fine example (I'm the king of evil, I have motives, I conspire against a king, I have a taunting little "Hmph!" that I constantly do). Bowser is not (I want the princess......I....want the princess), and as such, I also think that Ridley wouldn't be either.

Obviously Ridley is not mindless, you don't give him and the Space Pirates enough credit that's all.
Yes, he is pretty intelligent. But it's a shame he never shows it. When you do fight him, all I see is a raging dragon, and I'm pretty sure that's all he'll be if he's added to brawl. Ridley has SOME personality. It's never SHOWN, we're just told about it. The majority of the time, Ridley goes berserk on you. To make the character 'true-to-game', they would also make him beastly in Brawl. Are you suggesting they randomly give Ridley a voice-actor and phrases like "The Space Pirates are supreme!"? Please, no.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ridley is awesome, I just don't really like the idea of him as a character in Brawl, because he just doesn not exhume enough intelligence.

And yes, I know he's smart. I've read the manga, I've read the in-game logs, but when it comes down to it, if he's in Brawl, they can't do much to give him that 'style' other villains have. I picture him fitting in better if he were an environmental part of a stage.

Right. But I think it is not plausible that they add an extra part, which was not in the original game. Unless they already did that with a Melee theme? I might be wrong.

They did it with the Metroid theme on the Planet Zebes stage in Melee.Towards the end of the sequence,the into title theme of the original Metroid played,then it looped.

I don't see why they can't do the same with this theme,but even if it did loop,the battle music is epic.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I see.

Well, wasn't Sakurai planning for more "character interaction"?
In battle, Ridley would probably show only his space dragon power and stuff as usually, but what about his taunts, his possible entrance and select pose, his victory poses, and whatever may be added?

Also, Bowser has lots of personality. Doesn't show in most games, but in the RPGs where he's a playable character, he's a brilliant type of anti-hero, and he actually shows some hilariously out-of-place signs of intelligence. In the scene in which he joins your party in Super Mario RPG, he actually composes a haiku. ^^

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Yes, bowser has that persona, which is why I think he does sort of fit in Smash. But I still don't think he's great.

They may give Ridley cool poses and taunts, but that doesn't mean he won't be another Bowser if you ask me. I just sort of hope they don't ruin the character by making him so beastly in Brawl, and no one uses him because he's 'slow' or 'stupid'.

Name another Metroid character that deserves to be in more. I can't think of any.
Sylux, or Weavel.

NukeA6

Smash Master
We all know Ridley is gonna be in Brawl. We just know it. And I'm not saying that cuz of the latest update.

I'm guessing this song is for Norfair.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
Rockin' awesome music track, yes.

Unfortunatly, the only thing this proves or confirms is that this music track is going to be in the game. I'm not at all against Ridley being in the game, I think it would rock rather hard, but I can't just stand by while this awesome music update is overshadowed by rampant speculation.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Saying that one of the Hunters from MPH is a better character than Ridley is like saying that Wart is better than Bowser. Or that Skull Kid is better than Ganon(dorf). Actually, it's worse because Wart and Skull Kid were the major antagonists (and final bosses) of their respective games. The Hunters were just mini-bosses.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Sylux and Weavel were cool bounty hunters with guns, and don't roar in my face.
"Cool" is entirely subjective, and hardly any circumstantial evidence towards them being more deserving. And weren't you complaining that Ridley didn't have any personality? If you could please show me where in Hunters Slyux and Weavel showcased their personalities, I'd gladly look into it.

I apologize for coming off as angry, but Metroid is my favorite game series in the world. I grew up with it from the very beginning, and I have pretty strong feelings about it.

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that song is awesome. I'm feeling that Brawl's music is going to blow Melee's out of the water.

And to anybody who thinks Ridley would suck in Brawl: WTF? Name another Metroid character that deserves to be in more. I can't think of any.
agreed. one character thats appeared in most of the metroid games besides samus, is ridley. although, i believe that since this is stage music, ridley will be involved with a metroid stage. or, remember in melee when you had to escape brinstar and you end up in green greens...this could be the music to that (while ridley is trying to attack you as you escape)

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree that this in no way confirms Ridley as a playable character. It would be awesome if he is, but the music definetly doesn't confirm him. I am interested in the fact that it says "Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)". I think that this can be interpreted in a few different ways.
First, it could mean that this is simply the music from Metroid's battle with Ridley in previous Metroid games, and it is just music for a certain level (norfair, Brinstar, etc)
Second, it could mean that in ssbb, each character may have a "boss" battle, and naturally Ridley is Metroid's boss battle (but what about Master Hand).
And Thirdly, maybe this is the music for the fight against Ridley to unlock him as a playable character.
The music is good, but I think that the title of the update is definetly the most interesting part of this update, and it is probably vague for a reason.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
i know these is old news by know, but i will attempt to stop the debate/flame war. By saying yoshi has a even bigger chance know than ever, just look at the stage my god. makes a massive guy wan't to tear up:( and cry, and one plateform imagine the fun with missle canceling, atk canceling, dk juggels and even platform whores the stages will be awesome:)

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
They did it with the Metroid theme on the Planet Zebes stage in Melee.Towards the end of the sequence,the into title theme of the original Metroid played,then it looped.

I don't see why they can't do the same with this theme,but even if it did loop,the battle music is epic.
True. They can mix two musics from the same "universe". Haven't thought about that.

Hey, Sylux and Weavel were cool bounty hunters with guns, and don't roar in my face.

I'm just going to say that you appear to have a very linear mentality.Just because they were a couple of humanoid characters which happen to be bounty hunters that doesn't make them good or nearly as acceptable of Ridley.

Ridley hads been a protagonist vilan for the Metroid series ever since the first game came out.He is fairly popular,and is the prime choice for a Metroid character considering we're lacking them.You would appeal towards a lame bountey hunter that was only in a minor metroid game rather than Ridley?

PLease,go back to Nsider.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
yea i know i sound contradicting..... the thing is ijust personally don't find ridley as cool as other metroid chars... i should have clarfied this earlier. im sorry for expressing my opinion.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
All this campaigning for Ridley is gonna land us with a random deadly space pirate possessed by the Ing.

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
the addition of ridley in brawl would fantastic, but i think just because the size of ridley is the reason why he's not going to be in it. imagine, trying to fight someone who's ridley, ridley is gigantic and could take up the whole stage. the only way i see ridley making it in is if he was downsized dramaticly...other than that, i just dont see it happening. i mean, dont get me wrong, playing as ridley would be bad-***, but i just dont see it happening.

the addition of ridley in brawl would fantastic, but i think just because the size of ridley is the reason why he's not going to be in it. imagine, trying to fight someone who's ridley, ridley is gigantic and could take up the whole stage. the only way i see ridley making it in is if he was downsized dramaticly...other than that, i just dont see it happening. i mean, dont get me wrong, playing as ridley would be bad-***, but i just dont see it happening.
You forget,characters can be re-sized to fit appropriatly.

Just look at Bowser,who's physical size has been altered numerous times.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I doubt his size is an issue. Anything and everyone can be resized.

Rash

Smash Ace

Take this Ridley, add parts of his modern design and aesthetics, and I'd say you have a viable character for the Brawl Roster. It's been said before, and it can't be stressed enough.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Does this move Ridley up to semi-confirmed?
At this point we may as well say "Why not?". But I wouldn't hold any breath.

Take this Ridley, add parts of his modern design and aesthetics, and I'd say you have a viable character for the Brawl Roster. It's been said before, and it can't be stressed enough.
Step it up a notch and make it MECHA RIDLEY.

Perfect size.And I think that he would look cool as Mecha Ridley as well.

I want to add caption to that picture for some reason,like:

I'm in ur base

Stealin' ur Metroidz

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I think that'd work well as a costume, actually. That is, if Brawl does costumes instead of just alternate colors.
THAT'S one of the things I have hopes for. I really really hope.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Or maybe all ur metroids are belong to us XD

Anyway look at it this way, ridley is the 2nd most requested character, and now sakurai place his theme song, WHY would he do that if he werent in? last thing I think he would want to do is to dissapoint the fans, and when he could have placed a MG song, or mario song of some sort, he placed ridleys theme, thus kinda semi-confirming ridley IMO...

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Or maybe all ur metroids are belong to us XD

Anyway look at it this way, ridley is the 2nd most requested character, and now sakurai place his theme song, WHY would he do that if he werent in? last thing I think he would want to do is to dissapoint the fans, and when he could have placed a MG song, or mario song of some sort, he placed ridleys theme, thus kinda semi-confirming ridley IMO...
Cause honestly music only means a stage, it doesn't exactly mean a character. Now if they threw in a Sonic tune then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom