• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's a good secondary for a D3 to have?

Smady

Smash Master
I'm trying to decide between Luigi, Lucas and Marth, but none really have an advantage over D3's weak match-ups. Does any character? It seems like G&W has only even match-ups and MK is obviously peer-less.

Help with my dilemma and your own secondaries, D3 mainers? :dizzy:

DonkeyKongUh

Smash Cadet
My secondary is falco. He covers most of ddd's weaknesses. Rob also has next to no weaknesses but i like falco because of his chaingrab, and spammable blaster. I also like to use dk vs metaknights. You can't really go wrong with someone high tier.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
King Dedede is my second to Wolf, and that's a pretty good combo, so I'd assume it would work just as well the other way around.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Falco and Mr. Game & Watch complement Dedede best IMO. You don't want DK or Snake because they're also heavy powerful characters, even if Snake has no problems dealing damage. You want either Snake OR D3. Meta Knight should only be mained, not a secondary as he's so insanely godly.

But in all seriousness, you should pick Captain Falcon, Link, or Ganondorf.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
imo d3 doesnt need a secondary. some matchups are difficult but i dont think a secondary is necessary. i enter all of the tournaments i go to with nothing but ddd :)

napZzz

Smash Hero
MK covers all of DDD's bad match ups..and covers DDD dittos. I hate DDD dittos. its like..LETS SEE WHO CAN CHAIN GRABZ FIRST ROFLZ

MK also pwns olimar and spammy robs.

Raidein

Smash Cadet
Ike would be a good seeing as how there moves are sort of similar...But if you want my honest opinion....

Take a break from DDD....That may seem absurd to you, but it could help you focus more on learning others 'movesets. There's over 30 characters in the game that can be mastered. You just need to study their moves closer and change up your training regime.

Smady

Smash Master
Ike would be a good seeing as how there moves are sort of similar...But if you want my honest opinion....

Take a break from DDD....That may seem absurd to you, but it could help you focus more on learning others 'movesets. There's over 30 characters in the game that can be mastered. You just need to study their moves closer and change up your training regime.
I'm working on my Luigi, Lucas, Ike and Marth at the same time.

I play against MKs. I dislike playing as him, totally not my style.

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
Im using Falco as my secondary at the moment. So far it seems most DDD players are using Falco. I simply chose him when i first started playing because he was my main in mellee lol. Turns our most D3
players use him so Im happy with my choice =D. Also I use TL.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
Falco is very similar to D3 yet has the speed to compensate where D3 is lacking the most so my suggestion is that Falco would be the choice.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
if u dont wana use MK

then i suggest kirby.

he handles ddd's only REALLY bad matchup (falco) with eeaaasse. its easier than MK.
and does good/goes even with his others.

:)

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
if u dont wana use MK

then i suggest kirby.

he handles ddd's only REALLY bad matchup (falco) with eeaaasse. its easier than MK.
and does good/goes even with his others.

:)
Kirby vs. Falco is neutral, get your smash facts right dammit! =P

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I pulled up an excel spreadsheet today to figure out what the best secondary for Dedede would be since certain circumstances have made me unable to use my current secondary, Metaknight, after November 1. I went through a points system that was sort of complex and I won't explain it here, but for the most part I calculated how well the matchup coverage would be against Dedede's bad matchups (except Metaknight). Tier rank of the opponents was also factored into the equation since that often dictates the likelihood of facing them. Here are the trends that I found.

EXCELLENT CHOICES - 5 points or higher
1. Game & Watch (8.79 points)
2. Marth (8.78)
3. Toon Link (5.84)
4. Zelda/Sheik (5.35) (This refers to switching between the two, it is not a tie)
5. ROB (5.13)

GOOD CHOICES - 2 to 5 points
6. Snake (3.25)
7. Zelda (3.05)
8. Pit (2.83)

DECENT CHOICES - -1 to 2 points
9. Falco (-0.28)
10. Ice Climbers (-0.56) & Kirby (-0.56)

METAGAME CALLS - -4 to -1 points
12. Olimar (-1.38)
13. Pikachu (-1.64)
14. Lucario (-1.71)
15. Shiek (-3.38)
16. Peach (-3.53)

Anyone with fewer than 4 points I didn't bother to list, though I guess it's notable to say that Wolf was very close to not getting cut since he had -4.01 points.

One notable thing is that most of the characters on the list who Dedede has bad matchups against often had negative points, with the exception of G&W who ***** all Dedede's bad matchups, especially Pikachu (which is what actually gave him the boost over Marth in the end). I believe that this is largely because they would have neutral matchups against themselves (ie. dittos) and many would also be solid in general but lack an extra boost needed to give them an edge in other important matchups (such as Falco not having a real advantage against Ice Climbers, etc.).

Of course, the data I took was from a matchup chart, so it's probably wildly inaccurate. Still, it's a decent general approach.

Personally, I think I'm going to try Zelda/Sheik since I used Zelda quite a bit when Brawl first came out. I can see myself eventually falling back on Marth though.

Akariss

Smash Ace
NNID
Akariss
3DS FC
4785-4779-5306
Well I myself Main Peachy and Dedede, not because they cover each other's weaknesses but because I enjoy playing them. Also Peachy seems to fare better against close-combat characters than my Dedede does :).

Buuman

Smash Ace
I would say kirby would be a nice secondary. easy to adjust to from dedede. both have 5 jumps, a hammer xD a swallow move, great recovery and good grabs. kirbs covers many of d3s bad matchups s well

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
You should choose a character based on which characters you have trouble with against D3.

Or just go Metaknight.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I personally use G&W as my secondary, have since launch. I liked the contrast in their play. Also coincidentally they are opposites. I use white Dedede and black G&W.

The Pink Mist

Smash Rookie
you should smash daddy because he gives the right attack ratio to support D3. D3 clearly has the power but the lack of speed, which falco covers easily. even his gun and things give off good things coming off from D3. the speeed is clear and he has overall good attacks. I think he would be a better choice over wolf because wolf still throwws out more power than agility over falco.

so i think your making a good choice.

Jupz

Smash Master
i use ddd for almost everthing, but when i face up someone like ice climbers i like to go wolf and falco.

GreaseBeast

Smash Rookie
Personally, I use Dedede for everything, but switch to Lucas or Falco for anyone with spammable long range abilities.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers!
I actually second D3 (along with a few others) to cover the ICs bad matchups.

and they both have hammers and parkas =P

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
My secondary is Kirby. Personally I dont know why but HE IS JUST SO MUCH FUN TO PLAY!!! (>,<) anyways...ill be recording and uploading some of my brawl replays on to youtube in the next couple of weeks, you can see for yourself if its a good combo.

Top Bottom