• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What You Didn't Know About Meta Knight's Match-Ups.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Disclaimer: I based this off knowledge and things characters can do. This might not be 100% but its close. Please if you disargee with something, have something to back your idea up!

Now lets begin..................................................

Bowser:

1. Bowser, the most underated character on the SBR tier list. This character can either ground release and or air release chaingrab almost ALL of the cast! This is no different with Meta, he gets it 2nd worst out of all the characters(Falco can be 0 to deathed). He is easly high tier. Bowser counters Meta on FD, not only his chaingrab but he can combo out of his chaingrab the best of this stage. If he crab releases you the whole stage from 70% he can kill you, by grab releasing into a fair(At the end of FD, bowser can make you do a air release into a fair and kill you. And if you torando spam, bowser can up b you out of his shield.
-Vex Kasrani
2. If you dont get grabbed and you camp HEAVILY. This isn't too hard of a matchup for Meta. Just play smart, and tornado spam when his shield is low. Just Ban FD.
-Inui

1=
60/40 in META FAVOR
60/40 on FD in BOWSER FAVOR

2=
65/35 in META FAVOR
55/45 on FD in META FAVOR

Snake

1. Snakes Camping abilitlies can over-welm Meta Knight. It stops tornado. Snake is a very powerful and fast attacking character. Tornado is very unsafe. You can not apporach Snake when hes pulling out nads. The only thing Meta has against Snake is gimping him. But even that doesn't win it for Meta.
- Mew2King, Inui, Teh_Spammerer, and Xzax
1=
1st Look 60/40 Snake
2nd Look 55/45 Snake

Olimar
1. If Olimars space, and grabs you well you can't do anything. He can hit you out of tornado with grab and hit you out of dair with up smash. He can combo you well, and is a scary character to face on the ground. If your not smart enough, you will loose.
- Xzax
2. Olimar ***** you on the ground, and can hit you out of moves. You gotta play smart, and gimp him no matter what if your gonna win.
-Inui

1=
1st Look 55/45 Olimar
2nd Look 50/50

2=
1st Look 50/50
2nd Look 60/40 Meta(if you can gimp him and not get grabbed a lot)

Zero Suit Samus

1= I'll give extra attention to this one because it is one of my favorite match ups and I have a lot of experience playing top Metaknight players.

ZSS can camp Metaknight and keep him at bay well. Retreating forward B's and paralyzer shots will do the trick for that. One thing to look out for, however is his tornado. This will stop both of your approaches, so whenever he does this I try to run to the other side of the stage and shield whatever is left of the attack. Metas often try to land right next to you and down smash after this, so I immediently short hop out of my shield after the tornado and B-air them after their D-smash comes out. If the tornado is close to the ground, ZSS can grab him out of it or down smash him. However, the better Metaknight players seem to come from above with it.

A MAJOR advantage that ZSS has on Metaknight is the fact that she can hit and even spike Meta out of his shuttle loop (Up-B). This removes one of his most broken attacks, and will help you big time. Most decent Metas will attempt to backwards shuttle loop as an edgeguard off the stage. It is possible to down B attack and spike him during it if you time it just right. Even if it doesn't spike, usually you will trade hits. When this happens most of the time ZSS gets sent towards the stage while Meta gets sent further away from it. So, if anyone is going to die from the clash, it's Metaknight.

ZSS can actually edgeguard Meta better than he can edgeguard her, especially with his Up-B taken away. I tend to be very aggressive with off the stage edgeguarding in general, while I hardly see any other ZSS mains do this. I use forward B a lot for this, and I even hit people with it while they're in the hourglass. This works against most characters including Metaknight.

When Metaknight recovers to the stage with his Shuttle loop and glide attack I do the following. Usually he'll Up-B from under the stage so I've learned to stay away from trying to D-Smash - B-air stage spike him like that.
Instead I'll shield when I expect the Up-B, then when he gets close with his glide (and he's going to glide attack)I usually short hop backwards and forward B him.

Metknights D-Smash out of their shield a lot, especially when you're behind them at higher percentages. Try to anticipate these and counterattack. What I normally do is shield the D-Smash and short hop out of shield and go for a B-air on the other side of him.

ZSS' Down B is perfect for getting out of Meta's combos in general. I don't mean to do the attack part, just the inital down B which will get rid of hitstun quickly, give you invincibility, and give you space to break out. An evasive ZSS is very hard for Metaknight to both combo and KO. I discovered against Metaknight very recently is that ZSS can simply down B special footstool right over Metaknight's tornado instantly without being hit.
- Snakeee, and Xzax

1st Look 50/50
2nd Look 55/45 Meta

Mr. Game and Watch

1. Mr. Game and Watch beats you off stage. You gotta camp and you cant you tornados against some players because he can up b you out of your tornado, so use it carefully. A lot of his aerials have more priority than your moves. His smashes(yes all of them) can skill you easily, try to ground tech when he downthrows you. Don't use your up b against him in the air because his dair has more priority. This is a pretty hard match up unless you know exactly what to do.
-Xzax

2nd. "-the G&W will try to approach you with his bair but your tornado has priority over it

-do not let the G&W get you in the air above him because then he will use his uair to uair stall and you wont be able to get down until the G&W wants you to

-they usually follow up a uair stall with an upb and then another attack

-if he grabs you watch out for his dthrow to dsmash. You have to tech his dthrow to escape it

-G&W's nair combos very well and autocancels watch out for it. I think your fair and nair both have higher priority than his nair"

-JJR.O.B.

1st Look 50/50
2nd Look 55/45 Meta

Contributers:
Xzax
Inui
Snakeee
Mew2King
Teh_Spammerer

More to Come, so stay tuned for more updates!

you see this is where people decide to be dumb. Sheik is the best in melee despite tourney evidence, you cannot just base off what people play. Jigglypuff doesn't suddenly get way better when mango uses her, she was always that good, it's just no one good (or not enough good people, especially not enough to find the right player) played her seriously or DEVELOPED HER CHARACTER. This is the problem with the brawl community, all you guys do is whine and john instead of using other characters and playing with them. Almost every character has been undeveloped a ton. When you have an extreme amount of MKs all playing and copying off each other and tons of people using him, he is going to take a lot of top places. That's why your argument, that argument, is not a good one.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Way to completely ignore everything Metaknight has on those characters.

In Melee Marth could CG Fox potentially to death, but the matchup was even. Why? Because Fox is an amazing character, like MK.

You talk to good players but you should figure stuff out for yourself.

And Teh_Spamerer sucks. He's terrible and everyone hates him.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
lol i knew a lot of this. I asked inui and m2k on thoughts. Snakeee always told me meta and zss went even. But spam doesnt suck. and btw really, are you upset because snake counters meta LOL

Damedesu

Smash Rookie
ZSS... has an even-ish matchup with MK... I so need to try this... ZSS is way fun sometimes xD.

M@v

Subarashii!
Asforementioned by others, find this stuff out yourself. And if you ask sources, dont just ask MK mains...you know the answers they are going to give your might be biased. This is true with every character board...get your info from more than one place.

Really Olimar AND ZSS? You realize they both use tether recoveries? Zero suit is harder to gimp, but one smack while off the stage, they are not coming back. And we are talking an opponent that can fly under FD twice before touching the stage. Bowser has a grab release..and thats it......

Best MK fighter is Falco. He goes even on the stage with MK, but gets owned offstage. But if he can avoid getting knocked off stage a lot, he has a decent shot.

Browny

Smash Hater
ZSS can actually edgeguard Meta better than he can edgeguard her
I find that so hard to believe it physcially hurts my brain

Metknights D-Smash out of their shield a lot, especially when you're behind them at higher percentages. Try to anticipate these and counterattack. What I normally do is shield the D-Smash and short hop out of shield and go for a B-air on the other side of him.
Am i correct in assuming MK can dsmash twice in a row faster than anyone can drop a shield AND SH aerial him? even if you do get lucky and predict + react quick enough to shield his dsmash whats stopping MK from doing anything else after the dsmash, all of which will beat out anything ZSS has? especially a tornado

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
This sounds like a lot of theory that isn't playing out in real life. In the real world, no good MK gets caught in Bowser's grabs and he just owns him in every other category. In the real world, an MK player would realize after the first time that a backwards shuttle loop can be punished and just use something else. It's not like he's lacking for gimp moves.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Bowser doesn't grab Meta-Knight.

Bowser's release-grab doesn't work on Meta-Knight. (Maybe you should take a look yourself sometime?)

Bowser sucks. He has hurtboxes that are bigger than he is.

Snake's camping doesn't work on Meta-Knight. Meta-Knight has wiiings.

Once Snake is in the air, the fight is over.

Meta-Knight easily kills Olimar's pikmin.

And actually, ZSS isn't all that bad against Meta-Knight. The retreating forward+Bs aren't very effective, but she can escape his combos, and she's one of the few characters who can spike MK out of Shuttle Loop.

napZzz

Smash Hero
False.

10c4's
uhh pretty much it is noobz.

Metas lagless attacks and shuttle loop go through basically everything snake has when played well.

This whole thread reeks of fail. The mk vs. snake is actually harder than you make it sound. Have you ever tried camping with snake? its NOT very effective. Nades are easy to avoid (even when cooked) nikita leaves you open, and mines aren't something you can camp with.

Snake can only FORCE approachs typically with his projectiles and try to set traps to lands tilts and maybe an aerial. This doesn't work well because of metas small size and quick speed. His dashing grabs are some of the gayest **** I've ever seen. It can stop just about everything.

Just dash powershield grab. I swear to god it even takes you out of your ****ing spot dodge. ITs stupid.

And once off stage, you will either be dair'd till to death, or shuttle looped NON STOP. THe move has retarted prioirty, strength, and range.

So you say, HEY STOOPID HEAD! RECOVER HIGH!

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Thats when the meta jumps up and used whorenado and carries you up the screen and you get KILLED from it.

If snake doesn't have stage control and a constant damage lead in this match up, he's basically ****ed.

Its even at best, just because snake HAS the ability to counter special moves spam with nades and has such damaging tilts and a few moves that kill meta so low.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
This whole thread reeks of fail. The mk vs. snake is actually harder than you make it sound. Have you ever tried camping with snake? its NOT very effective. Nades are easy to avoid (even when cooked) nikita leaves you open, and mines aren't something you can camp with.
This thread: Is not very effective.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
uhh pretty much it is noobz.

Metas lagless attacks and shuttle loop go through basically everything snake has when played well.

Snake can only FORCE approachs typically with his projectiles and try to set traps to lands tilts and maybe an aerial. This doesn't work well because of metas small size and quick speed. His dashing grabs are some of the gayest **** I've ever seen. It can stop just about everything.

Just dash powershield grab. I swear to god it even takes you out of your ****ing spot dodge. ITs stupid.

And once off stage, you will either be dair'd till to death, or shuttle looped NON STOP. THe move has retarted prioirty, strength, and range.

So you say, HEY STOOPID HEAD! RECOVER HIGH!

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Thats when the meta jumps up and used whorenado and carries you up the screen and you get KILLED from it.

If snake doesn't have stage control and a constant damage lead in this match up, he's basically ****ed.

Its even at best, just because snake HAS the ability to counter special moves spam with nades and has such damaging tilts and a few moves that kill meta so low.
Your full of fail, not this thread... the reason why I said this is because you don't seem to understand how Snake beats MK, when Snake is one of the best characters to take down MK. This definies your ability as mediocre at best.

Disregard what he says about this thread. You made a great thread xzax.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Your full of fail, not this thread... the reason why I said this is because you don't seem to understand how Snake beats MK, when Snake is one of the best characters to take down MK. This definies your ability as mediocre at best.

Disregard what he says about this thread. You made a great thread xzax.
OH snapz! Double fail!

When did I say that snake WASN'T one of the best characters to take down meta knight? I said the match up is even, and tried proving xzaz wrong on how he thinks that snake ***** meta for some reason.

Seeing how you dont even USE any of those two characters, I suggest you stfu and try to not sound like you know what your talking about.

your stupid. I Just explained the advantages that META has over snake. If I wanted, I could do the same thing reverse and explain what snake can do to meta.

You need to learn how to READ something AND understand it.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Olimar camping perfectly can **** MK because MK has no ground approach at all, and if he tornados all you have to do is block it then dash grab (Atomsk does this to me every time) or running up smash or run jump fair if i try to retreating tornado to a platform, and you can just up B or fair to hit MK out of the air. You're never even going to hit them with dairs if you camp with them, and by the time you get close enough olimar has the advantage. The only way MK has an advantage over Olimar is by getting a gimp or long edge guard, but if olimar camps perfectly you can't do that.

Snake vs MK is the same, get a gimp or long edge guard to have the advantage. My Snake 2-0d chillins MK in tourney, 2 stock mid % and 1 stock low %, and this was recently (Critical Hit 4)

snakeee 3 stocked inuis MK w/ ZSS in tourney

DJ Nintendo 2-0d Rx in tourney (top FL MK)

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Olimar camping perfectly can **** MK because MK has no ground approach at all, and if he tornados all you have to do is block it then dash grab (Atomsk does this to me every time) or running up smash or run jump fair if i try to retreating tornado to a platform, and you can just up B or fair to hit MK out of the air. You're never even going to hit them with dairs if you camp with them, and by the time you get close enough olimar has the advantage. The only way MK has an advantage over Olimar is by getting a gimp or long edge guard, but if olimar camps perfectly you can't do that.

Snake vs MK is the same, get a gimp or long edge guard to have the advantage. My Snake 2-0d chillins MK in tourney, 2 stock mid % and 1 stock low %, and this was recently (Critical Hit 4)

Why do you think that a character has an advantage if you or someone you know beats X person?

What if a MK can approach perfectly? Or a MK can zone perfectly? Then MK has the matchup again? Come on.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Even if a MK uses drill rush as an appoarch, purples stop that. As well as MK's dash attack. The thing is with Olimar is his range in terms of grabs. Same with his Fair, Usmash and Fsmash. They go pretty far out, which is why a good MK needs to pay attention to what colors are plucked and which ones are already on the field. In reality, theres no perfect anything. Once the MK has olimar air brone thats when he deals in most of his damage, then ultimately the gimp itself. One thing to keep in mind, espically at a higher % is a recovering Olimar can stage spike you with a purple in his UpB. And use purples as a means to knock you back as he recovers.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229

Not true, MK /can/ dash and then spot dodge as necessary in mid dash, or roll past his opponent. It isn't the most effective approach, but its an option if your opponent doesn't expect it, which, since you yourself said he doesn't have a ground approach, means they probably won't expect it.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
OH snapz! Double fail!

When did I say that snake WASN'T one of the best characters to take down meta knight? I said the match up is even, and tried proving xzaz wrong on how he thinks that snake ***** meta for some reason.

Seeing how you dont even USE any of those two characters, I suggest you stfu and try to not sound like you know what your talking about.

your stupid. I Just explained the advantages that META has over snake. If I wanted, I could do the same thing reverse and explain what snake can do to meta.

You need to learn how to READ something AND understand it.
lol. I secondary MK so I know alot about MK. Snake has more control over the flow of battle than MK does with all his grenade and C4 strategies, its especially effective on certain stages, most of them being neutral stages like BF, LC, and smashville.. I also know alot about Snake, because Snake is my most hated matchup. He feels more broken than MK. You need to stfu scrub. I've been around alot longer than you. You only have a joined date of March 2008.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Dang lol i love all the scrubs that disargeed with me, until m2k posted.

And my cousin Vex is prolly the best bowser in the country. And he told me and even showed me what bowser does against meta

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Ever since you and Vex tried to argue with me that the ROB Mk matchup is even, I disregard every post you make...

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I dunno, from where I'm sitting it seems like Bowser has a really uphill match against MK on a lot of stages. On the other hand, it's possibly he could really have some advantages.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I flamed you because you said the MK ROB matchup was even just because Chibo said so...
I said I honestly didn't know the matchup but m2k and chibo said it was even.

I dunno, from where I'm sitting it seems like Bowser has a really uphill match against MK on a lot of stages.

This goes for most characters, but I believe that Bowser counters MK on FD, any other stage is much harder because once MK gets under Bowser he has alot of problems(not to mention that platforms ruin grab jump release chaingrabs.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Meta knight is a troublesome character to deal with but I can defeat him when I have Kirby or Lucas...sometimes Samus...

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Meta knight is a troublesome character to deal with but I can defeat him when I have Kirby or Lucas...sometimes Samus...
I learned yesterday by testing that metaknight has a grab ground release chaingrab on lucas, and this completely ruins any chances lucas has against MK because this gets lucas off stage quickly. Also, lol @ what you just posted.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229

This goes for most characters, but I believe that Bowser counters MK on FD, any other stage is much harder because once MK gets under Bowser he has alot of problems(not to mention that platforms ruin grab jump release chaingrabs.
I wouldn't know if Bowser does in fact counter MK on FD, but it doesn't seam like it would be right. Sure, if Bowser can manage to keep him at bay and out from under him then he might have his way, but MK is a heck of a lot faster then bowser, making it a tough match.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I never said he was a bad character, I said his match against MK is a tough one.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Currently he's in the middle of mid, but that's not a bad spot, although I wouldn't base how good he is purely on his tier position. He's just not as bad of a character as most people make him out to be.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Isnt he mid tier?
:p for tiers. Look at Yoshi's tier and tell me he doesn't have some advantages on Meta Knight. I'm not saying Yoshi is anything above average, because that is exactly what he is but with a great grab release CG, heavy armor or air dodge double jump, projectile, and some reliable kill moves, Yoshi puts up a hell of a fight especially against those who underestimate him.
Same goes for Bowser. His release is tougher to get than Yoshi's because he has a shorter grab and the timing is faster but Bowser has more reliability in other aspects.

And most MK players think Olimar is much easier to gimp then he really is. Just because you got him off the stage doesn't mean he is dead. Tether grabs are easy to gimp but a smart Olimar will at least take you down with him with a stage spike. Not to mention his whistle has super armor to stop a lot of attempts.
His ground game is absolutely amazing too. If you think because MK can kill pikmin quickly is an advantage, you clearly don't realize how fast pikmin pluck is. Olimar is an outstanding camper and will eat through almost every attempt you make to approach and he can basically shield grab whatever the hell he wants.
MK has so much off stage dominance but an Olimar who knows what they are doing knows how to stay on stage and away from his weakness.

Top Bottom