• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what other games do people here play that theyre actually GOOD at?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
ant1 you just seem to think memorization is impressive, thats all, you keep listing games where its just memorization and time spent practicing, rather than actual ability

Zero

Smash Hero
There's a French turn-based strategy game called Dofus Arena that I was fairly good at (as in, could give the top 10 players a run for their money)... Unfortunately, thanks to Telstra, I haven't been able to play a match without a significant amount of lag (ultra important when you've only got 30 seconds of turn time per character lol) so I sorta just started playing it for friendlies about a year ago, and during the Uni semester stopped altogether coz it got a bit hectic... It's always fun watching people curse you in another language :p

@Luke: do you mean Stepmania with the arrow keys or with the dance mat :p?
WTF DOFUS ARENA

YOu should totally play the ACTUAL Dofus. It was so fun until they nerfed close combat and un-broke my class :(

Arena is just a failure.

Alzi

Smash Master
I am going to show off and say i use to have a World record on the track Mushroom Gorge on Mario Kart Wii.

Later on the glitch came in for that course and yeah i ****ing raged when i saw the leader board was filled with times of 54 seconds so thats when i completly stopped playing Mario Kart. If it wasn't for that Glitch i would of still been getting better times on Mushroom Gorge and would of kept my title as 1st.

MTGod

Smash Champion
WTF DOFUS ARENA

YOu should totally play the ACTUAL Dofus. It was so fun until they nerfed close combat and un-broke my class :(

Arena is just a failure.
So, I'm guessing you were a Sacrier in Dofus then :p???

I prefer Arena because I despise grinding with a passion, and as much as Dofus is a strategy game grinding still plays a massive part in it... Is there a specific reason you think Arena is a failure :p??? Remember, it is in testing phase (still lol)...

Have you tried the 2D Fighter spinoffs of touhou??? They're actually not too bad (nothing like the original games, but fun to play for a while...)

Zero

Smash Hero
I was a Sadida, seconded a Feca and a Team Eniripsa. Knew how to play every class well except for Pandawa.

I mainly dislike Arena because I enjoy the hard grind :)

Arena still in testing phase? That's more laughable than Wakfu in testing phase. Now that's a joke. Released Summer 2007 my ***.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Yeah, Ankama kind of fail in terms of advertising :p Still, at least we're not paying for it (like Aion's testing phase... that's just wrong...) It's no excuse for a massive development phase, but it could be worse is what I'm saying ^^

In Dofus I probably got all characters between level 20-25 by now over a few accounts ('cept Pandawa) before the game starting giving me noticeable restrictions on my non-subscription and thus got boring... I could never really warrant subscribing to the game as it was more off and on in terms of me playing it...

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i mean like the ability to read other players (mostly in fighters) good tech skill (whilst thats still practice, its not always the same, having the ability to time things on the fly) good aim (shooters of course) or good tactical ability

but still ant1, none of the games you've listed are player vs player, its all player vs game (not impressive really, there's a reason why esports is about player vs player games)

Ant1

Smash Ace
See i would mention something like starcraft, but there isn't really anything spectacular i could link about that game.

Killionaire in Halo 3 ranked games is pretty hard to get. For those who don't play halo. Killionaire is 10 kills in a row without dying all within 4 secs. Each kill has a window of 4 seconds to link to another kill. E.g. u get triple kill, u have 4 secs to get another kill and get quad kill. It refreshes the timer each time.

I have got a killionaire, but that was in grifball and anyone can do that.

Sieg

Smash Champion
The Touhou doujin fighters are pretty cool, nothing spectacular though.

I'm really good at grinding in MMO's? lol.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
The Touhou doujin fighters are pretty cool, nothing spectacular though.

I'm really good at grinding in MMO's? lol.
Did you get that Psycho Wand (or anything else with insane drop rates) on PSO? Agito
(1975) is another one. Something like 290,000/1 chance of getting things like that. :(

Sieg

Smash Champion
Oh, yeahyuz. PSO grinding. So fun.

My friend Doug has an Agito.

It all depends on what your ID is really.

Highest drop rate was a Skyly wep. Sealed J-Sword. It only dropped from Gi Gue on Ultimate and there's only one per run. The drop rate was something in the bull**** numbers.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
i remember ages ago u guys came around and played my pso file adn wer like "omg wtf how did u get all this stuff" cant even remember what it was..

i suck at everything yeaaahhhzz... well i was pro at halo 2 when it was popular, never played h3 and odst is poo >_> i like cod and I'm decent at it but I get bored of it rly quick idk why... Getting pro at tekken <3 AND WATCHING PRONZORZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait and im pro at ddr XD

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
mindgames is not that impressive =P

game vs person can be better than person vs person. really depends what you want tho.
game vs person, every time i watch a video like that, eg some bullet rain game or rhythm game, all i think is "i could spend ___ hours playing it and do that too, ok"

but then when i watch something like a good fighting game player (holy smoke DC's johnny) im like "dayum i wish i could do that" and i know that even if i spend 100 hours playing said game, i probably wouldn't have the same level of mind games (execution maybe so, but not the trixxx and reading)

kupo

Smash Lord
Im good at getting myself killed

see l4d2! >_>

Single player with AI sucks. They're a lot more ******** in the second. Have yet to play with friends. It looks like you'll be needing all the good players :p!

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Perfect Dark (urgh well I was at one point)
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 (urrrrrrrrrrrrgh)
Super Metroid (I've done a few speed runs + a few well designed difficulty hacks)
SNES/N64 Mario Kart

Hyphen Underscore Underscore Underscore Underscore Underscore Hyphen
if you're going to squat money match me at mk64 no items and we'll see if you're good. i doubt it.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I doubt it as well tbh. I've heard you're like scary at it and I haven't played it since forever. Not going to Squat either. I'd rather money match you at Brawl anyway; there's a true game of skill. ^_^

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i find mind games alot easyer XP
i just goofy with the fingers
and slow.. kinda more like spacing out during the game lol
so same as sieg XD
well why don't i hear about you winning tourneys then if mind games are easy?

I doubt it as well tbh. I've heard you're like scary at it and I haven't played it since forever. Not going to Squat either. I'd rather money match you at Brawl anyway; there's a true game of skill. ^_^
so the game where it has random factors (tripping is good) is better than the game without random factors? (no items remember?)

yeerrrrr

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
even tho i hit the oponennet more. it will only be like 20% or less
but if i get hit i get comboed +50.. so there is alot of pressure not to get hit XD

so... its better to have suffiecent mindgames backed up with combo skill

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Does Smash 64 count as its pretty much the only video game I'm semi-decent at.
I guess I'm ok at Mario 64 speed runs (or used to be) had it down to around 15 mins or so (roughly).

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Note all mindgames, no tech.
that is not to say brawl has has more mindgames than melee
since melee is faster you not only have to be more technically skilled but also think and make decisions a lot faster and a lot more often

Sieg

Smash Champion
They're both equally as important in both games.

In Melee mind games are easier, because it's a faster paced game. Opponents have less time to react to what you are doing, so you've got to try and guess sometimes on what the opponent is going to do. In Melee it's more risky to try and implement mind games though, as they aren't as safe due to the fast pace. If something changes with trying to do something, you have to react and change accordingly.

In Brawl mind games are harder, because of the slower pace. You have to think more about what you're going to do and how you're going to do it, leading to more mind games. In this game though, when something changes it is easier to back off or to protect yourself due to the slower pace, you have more time to recalculate.

Mind games may be easier in Melee, but they are less used, due to hit stun and technical skill being an integral part of a good player. Whereas Brawl relies more heavily on them as the game offers less technical skill than it's counterpart brawl.

Melee is an offensive game.

Brawl is a defensive game.

Simple as that.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
with melee you do not have to guess what the opponent will do

say i think somebody is going to roll, i wait for them to roll then grab them
but if i don't think they will roll, i might dash forwards to make them roll and then dash back and grab
it's like... doing stuff to make your opponent do stuff
there's a lot of that

whatever dude all of your opinions are from a specator's view, don't care

Nova

Banned via Warnings
so the game where it has random factors (tripping is good) is better than the game without random factors? (no items remember?)

yeerrrrr
Sarcasm imo.

metanova whats your best time on super metroid?
I did a 100% run in around 2:34, though that is absolutely pathetic compared to one I just watched. :( Norfair's music is so awesome; why it wasn't in Melee or Brawl is beyond me.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Dekar as a falcon main there is a fair bit of guessing especially in beating space animals. But theres only very few chars where you actually need to "guess" what they are going to do. Most of my tech chases come down to reading tendancies anyway, if not actually watching where they tech and regrabbing. Unfortunately you may be too slow though, and have to guess what the space animal is gonna do after he's teched. It's always a gamble :(.

**** good effort Meta. I only go for any% speed runs lol best was 49 mins like 34% or something along those lines. never tried a 100% speed run ...

Edit: On that note, a fairly large amount of falcons game and other chars like peaches game comes down to mind games purely because the higher chars beat out so much of your ****. I'd like to see anybody beat fox or marth with falcon running at them You need to bait that ***** like a mother ****er. It's just that some chars like fox don't rely on mindgames as much, or chars like marth rely a dickload on spacing. Different character playstyles or some shiz idk rant rant.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
yeah brawl hella defensive.
people put up spam walls to wear your concentration out.. -.- (i get bored of that then get hit)
also since theres multiple air dodge ~_~

starting to like melee more cause less spam.

but yeah dekar and rob are right.. people can be forced into limited options sometimes its a guess sometimes its not.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
its about mindgames as much as you make it, you could play like m2k and not miss a tech and just lock down people making them always take the worse off option and putting them on the defence

or you can play like mango and go reading rainbow on people and just let them do what they want, but read them anyway

same story with brawl, you could play someone like diddy and just have a consistent lockdown and harassment causing players to not have time to think, or play someone defensive like DDD or something and then just read people like a book

neither game has more mindgames, its all about how you play, any character can be played any way you want

Top Bottom