• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What I'm thinking right now about Sheik: Why Fair when you can STOMP?

Charoo

Smash Champion
What I'm thinking right now about Sheik

Topic 5: Why Fair when you can Stomp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHa6De07Qz8

I don't think it ever been tested but I'm starting to think that the back air is actually stronger?

note: the back air im talking about is the one that sends them behind u. It usually occurs when u use the lower feet and come out in the beginning. It's not an unsweetspot bair cause that's the one where you hit with the strong hit box part but too late so it's weaker. This hit box have its own knock back and sweetspot. It will be stronger if hit right away and weaker as the move stays out aka sex kick

since it's a special kind of back air, I suggest we come up with a name for it. For now I'll just call it Stomp since she's stomping them with one leg? (I dunno)

First of all lets look at the obvious:

- Both Stomp and Fair send opponents horizontally and about the same angle
- Stomp does more damage than Fair (11% vs 9%)
- Stomp hit box comes out 1 frame before Fair
- Fair have more range than Stomp by a good margin
- Fair have less lag than Stomp and can be auto cancel more late

With that aside, I personally think that Stomp is actually a better move than Fair at a lot of situation. I will now bring up 3 scenarios. These are just simple scenario and many more exist.

Scenario 1: Edge guarding goodness

So let say you're fighting Falco. You are both at a high percentage and you are grabbing the edge while he's on the stage. Being inpatient, the Falco decide to do a forward smash towards the edge in hope that you get up and take the hit, thus probably getting KO. Of course, being too good with Sheik, you dodge the move and now have the advantage. What do you do? Fair and Nair are too weak and will not kill. Uair is also weak and will not kill if he di it. So what do we have left? Dair? I guess, if you wanna die. Walljump/ Reverse needle cancel Bair? Sure if you want them to survive like Nair/Fair. So what left? Stomp! If you hit them correctly, Falco will fly behind you and is now instantly off the stage! What's more is that compare to other aerials, you are automatically edguarding the edge too! Wow this is too good!

But wait! Stomp is only about as strong as Fair! So how are they going to die? Besides the fact that one of Sheik main point is edge guarding and thus Stomp giving a perfect setup for it, you also have to account the Falco's DI.

WARNING! This part is hypothetical and doesn't have to happen. Yes it will probably be true but a super smart player who knows about the Stomp will somehow DI it correctly.

So, Falco just miss and he's 90%, being a good smasher, when you are vulnerable, you gotta prepare for the opponent to retaliate and attack you. Know that you are on the left and Sheik is on the right with the option of fair, nair, and uair, you will be DIing up and right to survive the hits. People DI moves even when they know it's not going kill them because it become second nature to them. But what's this? Stomp? Did sheik just use a move that send me behind her from the edge? Dang Sheik is too good! Oh on! I'm holding up and right so I'm helping it! Aww, I just kill myself =(

With this scenario, you can see that Stomp can turn your defensive game into an offensive game instantly. It also set up for edge guarding and other good setups for Sheik. The Stomp is as powerful as a Fair so you can be sure that it will take some people out. Especially when they DI wrong from expecting another aerial.

Scenario 2: Snake's Cypher too buff? No problem!

As you know, Snake's Cypher have super armor for anymore 7% or lower. After hitting Snake with Fair about 3 or 4 times, your Fair will be decay and wont knock him off anymore. So what now? Well you can Stomp him! This move is strong enough to take Snake's cypher away and still give up a good advantage vs him. Also, when fight any1, you sometime wants to hit with a Stomp to send them behind you while you both are recovering. It's a good tactic and no one will expect it. This move also hit below Sheik faster than any aerial she have.

Scenario 3: Need to hit below you? Stomp got you cover

As mention before, Stomp hits below you cause of how Sheik extends her legs. IMO, this might actually be Sheik's best aerial from coming down the air. Dair is good too but more of a get down there quick. This is more of a battle vs the opponent. If it connects, it will also send them behind you and again, give you the set up for edge guarding.

I can go on and on about Stomp being good at certain scenario. Whether it's Stomping a Marth after he Upb or Stomp oos to psych out your opponent, this move is too good. Implement it to your game and no one will see it coming.

REQUEST: Can some1 test the power of Stomp vs Fair? From what I can tell, Stomp seems to be stronger for sure. Yet, I want a proven fact before I go around and tell that to people.

Thank you for your time

Topic 4: Reverse edge guarding

So I went to a tourney recently and I figure something out that I didn't really thought about which is reverse edge guarding.

So I was fighting Havok's Marth with Sheik and keep trying to edge guard me by jumping out and try to fair me while I return. Being a good player, he realizes that he out ranges me and I can't fair him. If I air dodge he just waits for my animation to end the fair. So he was beating me up while I return pretty badly. I took his first stock though and then I had 150% ish and he had like 5%. He hit me off the stage again and I was like here we go again. This time though, I had a different game plan. I'm going to edge guard him instead! So what I did was slowly falling down moving back and forth to space him in the air. As soon as I saw him use his second jump though, I immediately side b and chain the edge. Thus going pass him and is now behind him. Since he use his second jump, he had no choice but to up b back and I just pull up my chain when he up b and kill him instead. After that, he never come out to edge guard me again woot.

After that, I fought another marth player JameZ and I did the same trick. This time, it was on purpose. I just stood still and he fsmash me when he came back down. I force him to double jump then I grab the edge with side b. Bam he's dead. It shock him so bad cause he was edguarding me not the other way around haha. I then fought more people in tourney and friendlies and apply this against them. It works so freaking well. It works better in tourney condition though cause people want to kill u so badly. It even work on Kirby after i make him try to back air me a bunch of time and miss. Just gotta count the jump.

So yeah. Reverse edguarding. Force them to take out all of their recovery option themselves and then chain the edge. They will then have to come back instead now and you just gotta be smart and edge guard the edge. Even if they didn't die after using their recovery move, you can still punish them from their lag. It works great on Marth and G&W from my experience so far.

Topic 3: Armada is too good

Topic 2: Why are we throwing people? Just look at them in the eyes!

So yeah, I was watching some old vids not that long ago and was wondering about how to kill people better. This vid came up and it make me realize something, but let me show u the vid first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i85euqQhlS4&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJYB1ZuhtA&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWjFS8Kn6nc&feature=channel_page

The last one being what I'm talking about. I mean, LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE WE CAN AIR RELEASE DACUS OFF OF! That is just too good! So what I was thinking about is, when they are DACUS killing % and we get a grab, why do we throw them? Technically speaking it doesn't really lead to anything guarantee if they DI the throw right. Sure I get some back throw to back air sometime when they di bad and I kill them but this strategy is better I think.

If you get a grab on them, DO NOT throw them and pray for an air release! If you can make them air release then that means a guarantee kill move if you perform the DACUS right! You might say, what happen if they don't air release though? Well, they'll ground release instead of course. This is a trade off and a risk you have to take. Throw them for about 7% and maybe land an aerial or hope that they air release and get a DACUS. Fail the air release and they will ground release. Which doesn't hurt you that much when you think about it. You're not in any disadvantage at all if they don't air release. You just won't get a DACUS from it anymore.

So what I'm saying is, we should really force people who normally ground break to air break instead! If we can do that, we can force like 10+ chars. to get hit by our DACUS! Even Snake & DeDeDe who are a pain to kill sometime. So the real question is: How can we trick them to air release?

From what I understand, people will air release if they break from your grab with the jump command and when you are not pummeling. These condition are very strict but still possible. I mean, I do this all the time when I do Fox vs Mk since Fox gets an usmash after the air release woot =)

Here are some tricks that I have learn to force an air release:
1. Pummel in the beginning to make them feel insecure. Make them feel that "This freaking Sheik is elbowing the crap outta me and I gotta get out asap before I get more damage." Then, stop when you feel that they are going to break out soon. People will not react fast enough and will keep mashing button for a bit before they realize you stop pummeling.
2. Make a scene about it! I don't mean like yelling out "I''m going to push A so fast that my freaking button is going to explode!" Just push it as fast as you can and make him feel like you really wanna pummel as long as you can. Then, when they fall for ur act, you can stop immediately and bam! 1 air release coming up!
3. Save the air release until the very end. I know you can air release to DACUS whenever you want for extra damage but don't expose it! Knowing is half the battle and I highly doubt that many people know Sheik can DACUS so many freaking people from the air release. If you do it instantly like when they are 30%, a good player will realize it and won't give you that air release ever again. This happen to me when I fought Havok Fox vs Mk. He realize that I can air release up smash him and stop giving me the opportunity to after I land it. So, SAVE IT UNTIL YOU KNOW IT WILL KILL!

That's all I really wanna say. Don't throw your opponent. Stare at them with that crazy Sheik eyes and prepare to DACUS for the kill. I been doing this recently and it give me a lot more kills now on unexpected players. I love it now when Falco counter pick on FD and I just DACUS him easier now for the kill. So remember, trick them to air release and get that kill you been waiting for!

Topic 1: Falco - Final Destination or Jun Japes?

Something that I was wondering randomly just now. I'm going to make this thread my: What am I thinking right now about Sheik

Usually and almost 100% of the time, after you beat Falco first round or second round, he's going to counter pick Final Destination or Jungle Japes. How he determine that is base on what you ban. If you ban FD then here comes JJ and vice versa.

So, here's my question to all of you guys: Where should we take Falco to? Final Destination or Jungle Japes. We're pretty much deciding it for the Falco players when you think about it.

As for me, I usually ban JJ over FD. My reason is pretty much like this:

FD:
-pros
Can gimp Falco
Duck under laser to avoid camping
big stage and can needle camp back
small blast zone to JJ so u can kill Falco earlier
-cons
easier for falco to edge guard us compare to JJ
he can side b over and over which makes it very annoying
chain grab spike works well here

JJ
-pros
easier to recover
platforms to maneuver and such
can't die up top from his up smash until a very long time
-cons
chain grab spike into water can equal death
hard to gimp since he can just jump out of water
side b all over the place
harder to avoid lasers sometime

That's just the basic. I always just ban JJ and go to FD because I'm thinking that on FD I can gimp him and don't have to worry about being camp that much. I'm kinda scare of JJ cause harder to gimp and his chain grab is deadlier. What do you guys think though?

This is like something kinda inevitable when you fight Falco. From all the Falco I ever fought, these are the two stages they go to and I always take them to FD. Sometime I win there and sometime I don't. So yeah, what do you guys think?

btw, I know the Falco match up very well. I fought both SK92 and DEHF before taking them to Game 3 each (fought DEHF like just last week). It's a very fun match up and it feel so good to gimp them haha (probably why I rather go to FD).

Verdict: Final Destination all da way

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Good thread Champ, very well thought out and put together..........hopefully we get some nice discussion on this topic.

That being said.......I agree with you. Japes is just too good of a stage for Falco. Like you said it makes his recovery better, it makes his KO options better, and it will take you forever to kill him. Ftilt to usmash doesn't kill here and by the time usmash would kill him......it doesn't combo out of ftilt.

I think a lot of players are always afraid of FD vs. Falco because then you have to deal with the camping and trying to get inside of him. Really if you just slow everything down and play extremely patient.......Sheik doesn't have too much trouble dealing with lasers. You can also just take about 40% in lasers(while putting some % on him with needles during) and avoid the chaingrab altogether if you so choose.

It's too bad too, cuz I feel that Sheik has some neat tricks that she can perform on Japes with her chain that make her even more moblie......similar to Norfair. But honestly, Japes is heaven for Falco. I guess you can live for a while there.......but even then his bair will still kill around 120% on the sides. So yea.......ban Japes.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Final destination

Sheik can handle the camping by crouching and needles. If Falco likes to side B to escape, you can easily read this and punish because you're Sheik! Also, needles hinder his recovery more on this stage than JJ.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
for the whole chain grab spike my friend used to do that. all you do is when the chain grab is over hold AWAY from the stage. then you can do your second jump and chain/smoke back so thats not really an issue.

i rather do fd personally. falco can chain grab but because of his weight we can get him f-tilt locked pretty well.

i dont like jj just because he has a spike and we dont =/ and the randomness of the chompchomps or whatever there called isnt worth it

OH and if you time it perfectly and falco tries to side b ABOVE you...you can totally usmash him. ive only done it once but it was awesome

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would go FD. Falco not killing you as early with his usmash works both ways, and in the end yours is way better.

Plus he makes better use of those platforms then you ever can.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I'd definitely play him at FD instead of JJ. Japes is full of Falco trickies that make him that much more annoying to fight. Plus it's really hard to kill Falco at Japes regardless of whether or not you use Zelda (try catching that freaking bird on Japes with Zelda, omg).

Charoo

Smash Champion
seems like FD is a solid answer. Was hoping for soem1 who prefers JJ to give their opinion. I might just make this thread a scenario thread that I might come up with or something.

Maybe next would be about air release that I been wondering about

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
FD. easy.

If you can get him off the stage on JJ he'll probably find another way to recover, when that damage on FD could have sent him far enough away to needle KO him or at least gimp.

You won't be able to duck under his lasers, but it really doesn't matter. He's quite easily gimped imo.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I really don't want to give a absolute answer since I've yet to fight a real noteworthy falco on JJ but I do think FD would most likely be the better choice if you could pick between the two to fight on

My only fear is who his 2nd might be...

Charoo

Smash Champion
topic 2 is up. Feel free to discuss about it and possibly help me come up with more way to trick people too

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
man, that's too good

but other than just doing 1 or 2 elbows, there's no other way to mindgame them besides saying things and metamindgame spamming

ahh i suck at dacus after grab release though... :(

i need to practice it! but i dont change my buttons and i use claw A to dacus... ahh :(

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
chok, I use default settings and I can get it about 90% of the time (given that I always play wifi and lag takes time to adjust to).

Keep your left hand in place, that doesn't need to move, but pretend your right hand is on a mouse. Rest your palm on the handle with your index finger on C stick and your middle finger on A. That should do you just fine, and it makes things really easy to time. Your thumb, ring and pinky fingers will wrap around the handle (almost as if you're making one of those cast-shadow rabbit hand puppets).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm.... okay

so index and middle? cuz i've been using thumb on c-stick and side of index on A

uncomfortable

maybe i should try your method xD

cuz i barely get it even 50% of the time

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
This "claw" method is totally stupid. I don't see the point in it at all.

People seem to go too quickly a lot. It's not full speed, it's just near to it. Just keep on practicing different timings and eventually you'll pick up the right one, and once it locks in you can do it pretty consistently (just like the chain jacket).

Here's a picture for how the controller should be held. I know my hand seems tense, but that's because I have to support the entire controller with my thumb so I can take the photo. irl your left hand will support the controller, making it just like holding a mouse.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/SiHiDave/IMG_1951.jpg?t=1246075634

Icyo

Smash Ace
That looks really awkward. Takes too long to get in to position doesn't it?

Icyo

Smash Ace
Are there any special positions useful when you aren't doing a grab release?

clowsui

Smash Legend
clawing a to do dacus is dumb easy lol
anyways i'd only use this once or twice a match
and on characters you can ftilt lock it's really not worth it (failco)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It takes me about half a second to switch. I don't see why it would take that long. You're pretty much just rotating your hand to the left, so that instead of thumb and index on the surface, you've got index and middle.

I have no problems doing f-air > DACUS using that method.

Everyone to their own I guess.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Something I've always wonder about force air release but haven't tested yet is how would yoshi uneven ground effect them among with other stages like Lylat Cruise, Halberd, Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Pirate Ship, Rainbow Cruise, Distant Planet, Frigate Orpheon, Castle Siege where the stage floor isn't completely flat. Although it wouldn't be something you could take advantage of often maybe on some parts of stages if we grab someone we could follow up a air release with an aerial or if impossible to do that then we could pepper the area they regain control with needles. Another use Ive done some looking into is using air releases of ledges as a way to limit options of recovery even more so if you grab them after they used their 2nd jump.

edit: Just to be clear I'm talking about force air releases like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJYB1ZuhtA&feature=channel_page

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Tristan, it is indeed possible to grab someone on a slant and force a jump release, however, for the most part, this means that you end up DACUSing lower than the place they were released from. This pretty much means that the tipper won't connect. I suppose now with the dash > dacus thing we might be able to stall the timing, but the player could regain control before the tipper can connect.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Tristan, it is indeed possible to grab someone on a slant and force a jump release, however, for the most part, this means that you end up DACUSing lower than the place they were released from. This pretty much means that the tipper won't connect. I suppose now with the dash > dacus thing we might be able to stall the timing, but the player could regain control before the tipper can connect.
Sadly, that's most likely true but I was also thinking about aerials. I remember seeing that we got a grab release into fair on Game and Watch from one of innocentroads videos, fair does a good sum of damages, more then throws and it would be nice if we could use that instead or even other attacks like sweet spot bair or even nair.

edit: my ride home asleep, maybe I'll do some testing.
edit2: haha, nvm he only has a game cube

gm jack

Smash Lord
I set my L to attack (use R to shield) and it makes DACUS easy, with no hand changing. Against those an air release can be forced on, this awesome, and I need to practice it. Against MK, the guaranteed kill from a grab at the right percentage is too good, considering how quickly Sheik can cover ground and grab to punish **** near anything.

As for the grab releases, I don't see why anyone would air release unless they want to. If you aren't hitting them, they should twig they want the release. If you wanted ground release, you would be pummelling them. I may be wrong, but it just seems to rely far too much on them doing something really, really dumb.

Charoo

Smash Champion
You don't understand. People don't know that you want the air release until they realize that you want it. I play with so many people and they will still push button when I don't pummel. I also stated that you pummel then for a while until you realize they r going to pop out and stop. Nobody ever stop pushing button as soon as you stop pummeling. They need to react to what you do instead of stopping it before you finish pummeling.

These are also done on chars. that probably never experience this anyways. Have you met a snake player that told you they got DACUS out of grab release or know you can do it?

I just play with DEHF again yesterday Sheik vs Falco. When he's doing the AAA combo on you, you have to di away to get out usually. I figure out that the best option after you get out is to crouch instantly. If he tries to shine you then it'll go over you. If the try to follow up with something then most wont hit and u can retaliate right afterward.

gm jack

Smash Lord
How many people have guaranteed follow ups out of a ground release? I know Ness and Lucas get ***** from their ground releases (but we air release then normally I think), and a few (Bowser comes to mind) have ground release follow ups. As far as I am aware, the vast majority really don't suffer from much if they get ground released, so you assume that people massing buttons will hit the jump buttons a lot.

Personally, unless I am playing a Bowser or someone with release shenanigans, I just use the control stick, C stick and shoulder buttons to struggle out.

If someone is grabbing you, and wanting a ground release, they will pummel you so they get it even if you do hit jump. If they are just waiting for you to break out, it would have to be an air release.

I do agree this stuff is useful to know, in case you know a certain player has a habit of going for air releases when they can ground release, but I feel that this seems way too situational to be of much use.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I think it's something to think about, oh and going off of the third video in bold if someone does a jump break where they normally wouldn't be force to then we can...

Bowser tipper usmash
DK tipper
Diddy tipper
Link tipper
Sheik dash attack
Gano tipper
Zss double hit umash, maybe tipper
Pit tipper
De3 tipper
Falco side hit
CF side hit
Char tipper
Ike tipper
Snake tipper
Sonic tipper

I'm especially interested in Zss as being the only one shown with double hit one would think if grab release on a slope even though you would be lower then them normally you would be able to manage to land a tipper still.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
These are also done on chars. that probably never experience this anyways. Have you met a snake player that told you they got DACUS out of grab release or know you can do it?
Actually, I know a few Snake players in Hawaii that know this. However, I'm pretty sure you can guess how they found out, lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha ill try to get recorded, i gotta make it far though, or get lucky

im pretty sure my melee ic's are getting recorded though :p

Top Bottom