• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

DUB

Smash Lord
Holy Shiiiiiiiiii

I just found out today Banjo Kazooie is on XBLA. I have been wanting to play that game for like 10 years now.

If you've neverp layed this game get it, its so amusing and well made.

finalark

SNORLAX
Although I'd say that you should get the Xbox version over the N64 one. In hindsight that game is much better when played on a controller made for people and not octopuses.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Holy Shiiiiiiiiii

I just found out today Banjo Kazooie is on XBLA. I have been wanting to play that game for like 10 years now.

Really? You JUST found this out? Well, then if you haven't played it before, I can tell you now that it's a fantastic game, along with Banjo-Tooie. It's a shame Nuts & Bolts was the nails in the coffin for what could have been a great and legendary franchise.

Normally, I'd say you should play the original N64 version, but seeing as the XBLA version actually has the Stop n' Swap feature enabled in the XBOX version, I'd go with that instead.

D

Deleted member

The only thing there I'm interested in is Bastion. That's a fair price for it, though.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Just wondering but, has anybody heard of a DS game called 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors?

I heard a couple of people say it was supposed to be really good, and have choices and stuff that were all Mass Effect style, but I haven't gotten to play it. So, I'm just curious if anybody's played it and if it's good.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a sort of VN with the ability to click or instigate things with the DS screen. The game has a lot of endings, great story...and well you should definitely check it out. It sort of has a SAW complex where you sort of wake up and don't know wtf is going on lol.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It's a sort of VN with the ability to click or instigate things with the DS screen. The game has a lot of endings, great story...and well you should definitely check it out. It sort of has a SAW complex where you sort of wake up and don't know wtf is going on lol.
Oh sweet. All I really know is it was made by Aksys, and from a screenshot of a boat that looks oddly like the Titanic.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, 999 is really good!

There's six endings (with one true ending), and you have a lot of choice about how to progress through the story, what paths to take, and such.

And yes, it's on a boat, haha.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, 999 is really good!

There's six endings (with one true ending), and you have a lot of choice about how to progress through the story, what paths to take, and such.

And yes, it's on a boat, haha.

So that's a "yes, it's worth the $27 total on Amazon/eBay" then, Lythi?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Indeed, I say go for it.

Also, I think it had a pretty limited run, so chances are that the price of it may go way up over the course of time.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Okey so just like most of the gaming world I am caught ****ting my pants every time I see a piece of bioshock infinite footage. Unlike most of the gaming world, I haven't actually played the original bioshock or bioshock 2. My question to you is, do you think I should play them before getting bioshock infinite for a better experience, or is it not worth it? I'm a poor lad, so I have to make tough choices. Atm for me it is either bioshock 1&2 or metroid prime 2&3 / Zelda tp.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm gonna say yes, you probably should.

Bioshock 1 is worth it for the story and atmosphere alone, and Bioshock 2 improves a lot of the gameplay elements, and is a good game in its own right. The games are only somewhat related (as in, they both take place in Rapture), but they're both worth playing. Plus, they're both super cheap now, no reason not to, in my opinion.

Personally, Twilight Princess is my least favourite Zelda game, so I don't really think it's worth playing. Prime 2 is a pretty good game, though not as good as Prime 1. Also, it does that cheap thing where it tries to make the game feel twice as big using light/dark mechanics. It's still decent though. Prime 3 is an okay game, but not a particularly good Metroid game, in my opinion.

Ultimately, it's up to you how you spend your money, but that's my two cents.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Okey so just like most of the gaming world I am caught ****ting my pants every time I see a piece of bioshock infinite footage. Unlike most of the gaming world, I haven't actually played the original bioshock or bioshock 2. My question to you is, do you think I should play them before getting bioshock infinite for a better experience, or is it not worth it? I'm a poor lad, so I have to make tough choices. Atm for me it is either bioshock 1&2 or metroid prime 2&3 / Zelda tp.
There's a collection comping out apparently that has all the DLC and both games for either PS3 or Xbox in a few weeks. It's only been confirmed in America as far as I know, but there could be chances that it could be released in other places.
You get a free PSN copy of the original with Infinite on PS3 last time I checked though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard Bioshock 3 isn't even taking place in the same world as the first 2 games. You shouldn't really need a reason to play them

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
There's a collection comping out apparently that has all the DLC and both games for either PS3 or Xbox in a few weeks. It's only been confirmed in America as far as I know, but there could be chances that it could be released in other places.
You get a free PSN copy of the original with Infinite on PS3 last time I checked though.
Ah great thanks for the tip :) I live in Europe and I just read that the bundle will come out here as well but a bit later than in the US. I'm curious for the price though. It's easily possible to score bioshock 1 & 2 2nd hand for under 20 euro, which is probably a lot cheaper than the collection. Anyway thanks guys!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I heard Bioshock 3 isn't even taking place in the same world as the first 2 games. You shouldn't really need a reason to play them
Different time period/location doesn't immediately mean the games aren't related.

Plus I bet playing the first 2 will make you appreciate Infinite a lot more.

On an unrelated note, I can't decide between playing Borderlands 2, Skyrim, or Mass Effect today... Hmmm

NatP

Smash Ace
Ah great thanks for the tip :) I live in Europe and I just read that the bundle will come out here as well but a bit later than in the US. I'm curious for the price though. It's easily possible to score bioshock 1 & 2 2nd hand for under 20 euro, which is probably a lot cheaper than the collection. Anyway thanks guys!
Also, if you had a steam account, you could wait for a sale and then you could buy both game for 5 euros, which is what I did. :p

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
They've straight up said that BioShock Infinite is set in an entirely different universe than the other two.
What he means with the games being related is that they have similar features apart from the story/universe. Same series --> Similar gameplay, art style, atmosphere, quality, etc. You can compare any footage from the original game to what has been released from Infinite to see this.

Also, if you had a steam account, you could wait for a sale and then you could buy both game for 5 euros, which is what I did. :p
I don't have steam unfortunately. I prefer my games on disks and in boxes :)

finalark

SNORLAX
Excuse the double post.

Alright, on Wednesdays I'm going to have a good five hours of time I need to kill so I'm looking for a handheld title that I can dump hundreds of hours into. I have a GBASP and a 3DS so that means GB, GBC, GBA, DS and 3DS titles are all welcome recommendations.

Just no Pokemon. I am seriously burnt out on Pokemon.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
"Hundreds of hours" is where it gets difficult.

999 or VLR will net you probably about twenty hours or so each. If visual novels aren't your thing, then RPGs like Devil Survivor, Radiant Historia, or Strange Journey are all pretty lengthy, and some with multiple endings. If you want a lighter timesink, maybe Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, or Rune Factory?

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, "hundreds of hours" was, of course, an exaggeration. I just need a good time sink. But thanks for the suggestions, Lyth. I'll take a look at those and if any of 'em interest me I'll give it a shot.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
No worries!

Also, I haven't played any of the Etrian Odyssey games, and they're pretty much a grindfest to boot, but I've heard they're quite lengthy as well. Though you may just want to wait for the fourth one to come out on 3DS.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I think my 3DS says I spent 160 hours on the third game. Then again I decided to complete it 100% for some insane reason. :p

But yeah, the Etrian Odyssey series is going to have limited appeal. RPGs in general can be very good timesinks, but it's going to depend on what kinds you like.

Fire Emblem Awakening will be coming out on Feb 4th. Look into it if you like SRPGs, you could look into the older GBA games as well. The five Ace Attorney games would take up a good amount of time as well if you haven't played those.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I kind of disagree about Ace Attorney, those games are eight hours each at max. Maybe the T&T is a little longer?

Not to say they're not good games (because they are), but they're not particularly lengthy.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Oh, it's been so long since I played them, and I wasn't keeping track of the time.

I can't think of many long games I have that are not JRPGs honestly, and that's such a tricky genre to recommend games from. I don't really know what else to recommend. :/

NightTide

Smash Rookie
As far as lengthy JRPGs go, I've been hooked onto playing Persona 3 FES again while awaiting for the next Fire Emblem to come out.

The Answer is a fearsome beast.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

Nah, not gonna bite that bait. :/

Though, Ni No Kuni, I tried the demo and couldn't really get into it, the combat didn't feel all that great. I may give it another try, but it felt like all it really had going for it was the Studio Ghibli style.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something about its appeal. I'd love to be proven wrong though, I can always have more good JRPGs.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
"Hundreds of hours" is where it gets difficult.

999 or VLR will net you probably about twenty hours or so each. If visual novels aren't your thing, then RPGs like Devil Survivor, Radiant Historia, or Strange Journey are all pretty lengthy, and some with multiple endings. If you want a lighter timesink, maybe Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, or Rune Factory?
Well, "hundreds of hours" was, of course, an exaggeration. I just need a good time sink. But thanks for the suggestions, Lyth. I'll take a look at those and if any of 'em interest me I'll give it a shot.
I'll add to this later, I have quite a few handheld games that I've sunk a lot of time into. However, I'm not currently with access to my full collection, as I am at Apex.

I can definitely vouch for Devil Survivor, Radiant Historia, and Strange Journey, though. Strange Journey was VEEEEEERRY grind-filled, though, Took me like 80 hours to clear the first run, around 15 of which was grinding. In typical SMT fashion, the final boss was ridiculously hard.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Excuse the double post.

Alright, on Wednesdays I'm going to have a good five hours of time I need to kill so I'm looking for a handheld title that I can dump hundreds of hours into. I have a GBASP and a 3DS so that means GB, GBC, GBA, DS and 3DS titles are all welcome recommendations.

Just no Pokemon. I am seriously burnt out on Pokemon.
If you're looking for an RPG that's not turn-based and you don't mind Mega Man, the Battle Network series on the GBA are great if that's your thing. Go in order though if you plan to. The main story isn't terribly long, but I'd say 12 hours for each game maybe. Gameplay gets progressively better too.

Any of the Castlevanias are good if you haven't played those. Pretty decent in length.

You said you're picky on RPGs, but what's some of your favorites/favorite type?

Top Bottom