• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm looking for a decent game I can play cooperatively with one to three players on either the Gamecube or the Wii. I'm not a big fan of shooting games, but if there is an exceptional shooting game, I will probably enjoy it. My friends and I just finished Phantasy Star Online EP II challenge mode, to give an example of what I'm looking for. RPG's are good. Sports games are fun, but only if they have a create-a-player option. So, what game should I get?
Wii

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Strikers Charged is quite a good game--don't let the fact that it's soccer scare you away, as it plays more like an arcade game than any kind of simulation.

Virtual Console - Toejam & Earl is a really fun platformer by itself, but is even better with a friend. Though the gameplay is a bit out there...

Virtual Console - Legend of the Mystical Ninja is, like TJ&E, a great game in single player, but gains alot with another person along for the ride.

Mario Kart Wii = a given. The Battle Mode was completely ruined, but the core gameplay is still as fun as ever.

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution is basically what Smash Bros. would play like in 3D. Even if you don't like the series it's based on (and if you do, it's a must-buy), it's still an extremely fun 4-player fighter.

Gamecube

Phantasy Star Online C.A.R.D. Revolution plays differently than the normal PSOs, but is still tuns of fun.

Gotcha Force is what you'd get if you crossed Armored Core with Pokemon. You might have a hard time finding this in the wild though, so an online retailer is probably your best bet.

Custom Robo for GCN isn't as good as the Japan-only N64 games, but it's still worth the five or ten bucks it costs nowadays. There's tons of parts to collect and thousands of potential combinations, so you'll certainly be kept busy, if nothing else.

Geist is a shooter, but with a significant-enough twist that you shouldn't be worried. The single player campaign is middling at best, but the multiplayer mode is incredibly fun--one side plays as ghosts, while the other plays as ghost-hunting soldiers. The ghosts can possess elements of the environment (as well as the soldiers themselves), but can't wield any weapons. The soldiers, on the other hand, can set ghost traps, and are each equipped with ectoplasm-destroying weaponry. Though again, it's quite the rare find these days.

Anyway that's all I've got right now. Hope that helps. :)

EDIT - Also the Baldur's Gate game(s?) for GCN. Classic Diablo-style gameplay for four players = happy times.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Any suggestions for a good PC game? I just won a 50$ gift card to Game Crazy at a tournament and I'm wondering what to get with it.

I like most genres of games, so suggest anything, as long as it's good.

Sensai

Smash Master
Chief Mendez said:
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (best SRPG series of all time, portable)
FALSE. The best SRPG series, /shrugs. The best SRPG, hands down, is the original Final Fantasy Tactics...and I think they remade it for the PSP.

@ Deception: So, if you like SRPG/good storyline, please do yourself a favor and pick up FFT.

@ Knyaguy: Galaxy is a much better game...but if you REALLY want replayability...then I guess Mario Kart.../tear

@ Neogen: Do NOT get the Orange Box on the PS3 if you can get it on the 360 or the PC (with the PC being the best version, hands down). It's riddled with lag and crummy framerates. Seriously, if you can get it for the PC, do it (as it's ****IN' AMAZING!) before you buy the PS3 version.

Other PS3 games: Echochrome (if you're into puzzlers), Metal Gear Solid 4 (can't believe this wasn't mentioned...), PixelJunk Eden (if you like artsy games), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and...that's all I can think up off the top of my head. :-/

@ 1048576: I have to throw in a +1 for Mario Striker's Charged. Seriously, that game is the most fun multiplayer you'll have in a LONG time (honestly, it's what got me, my roommate, and his roommate for this year all hanging out together. It's **** good). If you're interested in tactical games (like, REALLY tactical), you could go for Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV on the VC.

Oh! Bomberman '93 on the VC. Seriously. I cannot vouch for this game enough. It is god **** amazing, seriously.

And Baldur's Gate isn't quite like Diablo...it's more like Diablo was governed by DnD rules...I mean, they're comparable, but I'd think DnD before I thought Diablo. Then again, I know that they're based in a land designed for DnD.../shrugs

@ Prax: If you haven't played Half Life 2, I DEMAND and furthermore ORDER you to buy the Orange Box (it's Half Life 2 + HL2 Episodes 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal). Seriously. I swear to God, if you haven't played it and do not spend that money on it, you will be so sorry.

I promise, Prax, if you like story driven plots/pretty decent graphics (to this day, I have yet to see better faces in any game yet)/intelligent AI, you'll love HL2 and its episodes.

If you love tactical multiplayer games or first person shooters, you'll love TF2. (I've been addicted since I made the mistake of playing it. Seriously, I'm pretty sure I've logged about 300 hours into it...)

There's no if for Portal, you'll love it. You'll love it for the amazing puzzles, you'll love it for GladOS. You'll love it for the AMAZINGLY hilarious dialogue.

Please, PLEASE, get the Orange Box.

[disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with Valve. Well, at least no more than wanting to have their babies for making games that are earth shattering.]

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
FALSE. The best SRPG series, /shrugs. The best SRPG, hands down, is the original Final Fantasy Tactics...and I think they remade it for the PSP.
It doesn't have randomly-generated dungeons, items, enemies, weapons, skills, and Laharl.

So by default it's an inferior game! :bee:

Whatever though. If you liked FFT more than Disgaea, that's fine. I mean, just because I've squeezed close to 900 hours out of Disgaea 2, and still play it regularly to this day, doesn't speak at all for it's quality or value.

Okay, but seriously, I don't want to argue about this--Tactics has an amazing plot, and is much harder than Disgaea, while Disgaea has a silly, irrelevant plot and longer play time due to the randomly-generated content.

To each his own.

Also I'm with you on the Orange Box. That is the game Prax will be buying. It is. :mad:

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Thanks. I think Siren games are on PS2 also. Are those good? Also, are the Clock Tower games good?
Let's see... the first and second Siren games for the PS2 had Metacritic averages of 72 and 74 respectively, and considering that survival horror games rarely get much critical love, that's pretty good.

Clock Tower's averages were considerably lower, with a 49 and a 69 for the second and third installments.

If you can get your hands on a copy, I'd still recommend Fatal Frame hands down. Many critics cite them as the only games to genuinely frighten them.

Sensai

Smash Master
Green Swirl: It's not exactly a survival horror, but if you can get System Shock 2 for the computer, I guarentee you it'll scare the **** outta you. (It's the prequel to Bioshock, except scary and not stupidly simple, if that tells you anything.)

And +1 for Fatal Frame: never played 'em, but apparently they're amazing.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Having a bit of trouble between LOZ Phantom Hourglass and PKM Mystery Dungeon 2.

Tomorrow I should be getting a tax free $470 check, and I'm buying a NDS, AC:WW, PKM Diamond. I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I should buy LOZ PH or Mystery Dungeon along with it. I could buy all four games at once, although I don't know if I wanna get that many right off the bat.

I was never really a big fan of the overhead - type LoZ games, and I heard the game is actually quite repetitive so that could be a downside. (And for the fact the first time I did play it I had trouble pulling the block in the first mini dungeon.)

On the other hand I know how Mystery Dungeon works, and I'm lookin for the story it has to offer, I just know nothing about the 4th Generation so I don't know if it would effect gameplay or not. (I also heard Mystery Dungeon is repetitive also, but I've kind of gotten used to that in the first ones.. unless it's gotten worse than warn me now =/)

Any suggestions? Should I get both? or just one.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I've only played LOZ PH,but I did play PKMN MD on the GBA before.
Anyway,both arent that good,but LOZ PH is the better choice.
If its anything like the GBA game,Pokemon MD is very simplistic,with a terrible story and easy gameplay.

KirbyForAll

Smash Apprentice
So I'm not sure which one I should get for the 360. Gears of War 2 or Resident Evil 5.....they sound like they are both going to be great games but If i had to choose one(which I might) I'm leaning towards RE5.

Sensai

Smash Master
KirbyForAll said:
RE5 or GoW2?
This is where my bias is going to show, sorry all.

Gears of War, to me, seems to be the same basic mechanics as RE4, except overdone and implemented poorly (yes, I've played them both). RE5 looks to be pretty much the same thing as RE4...although we haven't seen much of it.

I can only expect GoW2 to be MORE Gears of War and RE5 to be more RE4...and since RE4 was better than GoW, the decision is made!

(I do own a 360 and have played through GoW in multiplayer mode. I did not like it mainly for its disagreeable controls. I own the GC version of RE4 and have beaten it 3 times and love it every frickin' time.)

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Eotad?

And are you asking...

PoKeMoN
or
PiKMiN

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
I think it's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time and Darkness.

And I wouldn't know if they're good, sorry.

Anyone looking for a good Wii game though needs to get Boom Blox. Just thought I'd put that out there...

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Is Boom Blox just a straight up party game? Can anyone give me more info on what it's like? I'm looking for something for my bro's B-day, and I completely forgot about the game you mentioned it Pas. Sounds like it may be right up his alley.

Sensai

Smash Master
I dunno...I've got too many **** games to play as it is...and I'm about to get another one, which is why I, the great Sensai who gives advice, asks a question on this thread:

Is Beyond Good and Evil worth a 5 dollar pricetag? I've heard excellent things about it and will probably get it regardless of what people here say (no offense to you all, just saying: it's five bucks! Who could pass that up?)...just wondering.

On this same note: Steam is having a 50% off sale on Beyond Good and Evil and also Audiosurf for this weekend. I've heard both of them are good and I've played Audiosurf before and it was a good time. The girlfriend even liked it.

And 5 bucks isn't much. If you like coffee, don't drink one glass and you're pretty much caught up. If you like snacks, don't buy 3 candy bars and you're back to even. See? It's hard to say no to something that's only 5 bucks.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
If you're lookin info on EOTAD than I'd suggest you just emulate Red Rescue team on your computer first to see if you like that.

It basically gives you a example of gameplay and design as far as the whole bunch goes.
It isn't the best, but it's you can put a lot of hours into that game if you plan on going beyond the main story (at least in the first 2 you could).

Donut!

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Boom Blox is just a party game, kinda boring after a few games, we end up just throwing balls at the little gerbil/otter/chipmunk? things off to the side of the map.

As for GW2 vs RE5, the Res Evil games are infinitely better than Gears IMO.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Boom Blox= Post above yours.
Strikers= Recommended, especailly if you like Brawl. (Surprise)
Line Rider= Seems fun, but DS only.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
should i get, strikers charged, linerider wii, or BOOM BLOX, state why plz
Eh. I'd still get boom blox.

Strikers gets boring quickly, and is annoying as a sports game. It's just too darn zany for it's own good. Doesn't work as a party game either, because your friends can't just pick it up and play it; the controls are weird for the first half an hour or so and the whole holding shoot to charge up the ball for a pass thing takes practise. Neither game really has a 1p mode. This isn't Strikers' fault, it's a sports game afterall.

As for online play, apparently it's quite good so if that's your bag then go for it. If you have friends that are into Strikers then yeah, another great reason to get it.

Rent both, try for yourself, neither are perfect. No idea what linerider is. Too lazy to google it.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ shadowtroop: Strikers is the reason me and my suitemates/roommates started liking one another last year in college. It truly was a godsend of a game.

It's a ton of fun if you have other people to play with but I could definitely see it getting boring if it's just you. That being said, I couldn't see ANY of those games you mentioned being terribly fun by yourself...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I've never played a Fire Emblem game before and seeing as I LOVE RPG's I would love to try it out, the only problem is that since there have been so many of them, I don't even know where to start or what to choose, anyway i've heard FE: Path of Radiance and the recently released FE: Radiant Dawn are both good games, and since I own both a Cube and Wii, may someone suggest which one is the best of the two? any other FE games I should know about?

Frown

poekmon
I want some tips on Wii games I should get. At the moment, I can only afford two of them, and I already own SSBB, Metroid Prime 3, Twiligt Princess, Wario Ware, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
well I've never played a Fire Emblem game before and seeing as I LOVE RPG's I would love to try it out, the only problem is that since there have been so many of them, I don't even know where to start or what to choose, anyway i've heard FE: Path of Radiance and the recently released FE: Radiant Dawn are both good games, and since I own both a Cube and Wii, may someone suggest which one is the best of the two? any other FE games I should know about?
If you want to play Radiant Dawn (and you do, as it's the better of the two Gamecube games), you'll need to play Path of Radiance beforehand. RD is a direct sequel to PoR, and anyways, they're both amazing games.

But before that, I'd really suggest finding a GBA and FE7, known just as "Fire Emblem" in the Western World. It's not nearly as hard as the other two, and is, as it was made to be, a great starting-off point for beginners.

@ Frown: If you can only pick two, and you've already got the biggies, I'd suggest...

>Battalion Wars II
>Okami (unless you've already played it, in which case...)
>Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (again, unless you own the GCN/PS2 versions, in which case...)
>Zack & Wiki (unless you hate point and click puzzle games, in which case...)
>Mario Strikers Charged

Sensai

Smash Master
@ GigaKoopa: I honestly would suggest getting the GC version first and then playing the Wii one. Be warned, though, that the GC is kinda difficult at times.
That ****in' 1.5v1 with the Dark Knight in which you have to get REALLY ****IN' LUCKY. Seriously. I know that you could run away for 6 rounds or what have you, but it really made me stop playing it. I never beat it, but did watch the ending/got the rest of the story and started the Wii game.

[Edit:]

Also, GigaKoopa, if you're into the whole strategy RPG thing, I'd honestly suggest, if you have access to a PS1, grabbing a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics before getting either of the FE games. Not saying that they're bad, but FFT is just...****.

FFT, mind you, not that abortion which was FFTA for the GBA.

[/Edit]

@ Frown: You've got all the big ones...I'd probably suggest one of the following.

~Okami, unless you've already played it.
~Resident Evil 4 for the GAMECUBE, unless you've already played it (the Wii version just isn't as good unless you absolutely NEED the extra content 'cause you're some kinda diehard RE fan)
~Zak and Wiki. Actually, y'know what? This shouldn't count as one as it's like...6 dollars at Toys R Us now (seriously, I really did get a copy for my girlfriend for sub 10 dollars). Get this game, it's amazing.
~No More Heroes. This game didn't sell very well, but it's so **** good. Probably can grab this one for less than 20 dollars. BTW, it's worth the price for one of the songs alone, as it's amazing.

Chief Mendez, have you played No More Heroes?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Also, GigaKoopa, if you're into the whole strategy RPG thing, I'd honestly suggest, if you have access to a PS2, grabbing a copy of Disgaea before getting either of the FE games. Not saying that they're bad, but Disgaea is just...****.
Don't mention it.

Sometimes I get my games confused too. Don't worry: it happens to the best of us. ;)

Actually, y'know what? This shouldn't count as one as it's like...6 dollars at Toys R Us now (seriously, I really did get a copy for my girlfriend for sub 10 dollars). Get this game, it's amazing.
This.

Chief Mendez, have you played No More Heroes?
Day one purchase for myself. :bee:

I don't ususally recommend it with general Wii game lists like this, as the hyper-violence, language, Bad Girl, and the overall...odd factor of it sort of make it not appropriate for a good deal of people.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm thinking of getting a new game for my DS.
I've thought about getting FF4 but I havent had the chance to get it.

I am kinda feeling like getting an RPG so what else can I go for?
The World Ends With You is my favorite, recent DS RPG, but there are other good choices, such as...

>Magical Starsign
>Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
>Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
>Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
>Summon Knight: Twin Age

^^^ - Off the top of my head, that.

Frown

poekmon
@ Frown: You've got all the big ones...I'd probably suggest one of the following.

~Okami, unless you've already played it.
~Resident Evil 4 for the GAMECUBE, unless you've already played it (the Wii version just isn't as good unless you absolutely NEED the extra content 'cause you're some kinda diehard RE fan)
~Zak and Wiki. Actually, y'know what? This shouldn't count as one as it's like...6 dollars at Toys R Us now (seriously, I really did get a copy for my girlfriend for sub 10 dollars). Get this game, it's amazing.
~No More Heroes. This game didn't sell very well, but it's so **** good. Probably can grab this one for less than 20 dollars. BTW, it's worth the price for one of the songs alone, as it's amazing.
@ Frown: If you can only pick two, and you've already got the biggies, I'd suggest...

>Battalion Wars II
>Okami (unless you've already played it, in which case...)
>Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (again, unless you own the GCN/PS2 versions, in which case...)
>Zack & Wiki (unless you hate point and click puzzle games, in which case...)
>Mario Strikers Charged
All right! Thanks, guys!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
If you want to play Radiant Dawn (and you do, as it's the better of the two Gamecube games), you'll need to play Path of Radiance beforehand. RD is a direct sequel to PoR, and anyways, they're both amazing games.

But before that, I'd really suggest finding a GBA and FE7, known just as "Fire Emblem" in the Western World. It's not nearly as hard as the other two, and is, as it was made to be, a great starting-off point for beginners.

@
Well, i'm not worried about gettind a GBA because I already own one *phew* but, if you say FE7 is a good starting game for the series, then I'm all up for it, personally i've never liked skipping games (ex. playing FF1 skipping 2, and suddendly playing FF3).

side note: Path of Radiance has Marth as the lord right? also might Roy be the lord of the so mentioned FE7? thanks.

@ GigaKoopa: I honestly would suggest getting the GC version first and then playing the Wii one. Be warned, though, that the GC is kinda difficult at times.
That ****in' 1.5v1 with the Dark Knight in which you have to get REALLY ****IN' LUCKY. Seriously. I know that you could run away for 6 rounds or what have you, but it really made me stop playing it. I never beat it, but did watch the ending/got the rest of the story and started the Wii game.
there's are two versions of Radiant Dawn on both Gamecube and Wii? if you say the Gamecube version is tougher, then I'm all up for it, personally, I'm what you might say "a hardcore RPG'er" so by your standpoint, you saying it's tougher than the Wii (which I don't know why it would be) then it's makes the GC version that much more bad a**. If it's an impossible task, especially in RPG's then it shouldn't really be a problem for me because remember, nothing is impossible ;)

*gosh, I shouldn't have looked at the spoiler* :urg:

[Edit:]

Also, GigaKoopa, if you're into the whole strategy RPG thing, I'd honestly suggest, if you have access to a PS1, grabbing a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics before getting either of the FE games. Not saying that they're bad, but FFT is just...****.

FFT, mind you, not that abortion which was FFTA for the GBA.
Final Fantasy Tactics? is that like Final Fantasy Origins which included the original FF and FF2? if so, this should be fun :) and yeah I would rather get the PS1 version simply because I prefer it big screen.

side note: have you ever played Final fantasy 12? I've heard it's good but i've never tried it out myself, just want see if someone around here thinks it is.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well, i'm not worried about gettind a GBA because I already own one *phew* but, if you say FE7 is a good starting game for the series, then I'm all up for it, personally i've never liked skipping games (ex. playing FF1 skipping 2, and suddendly playing FF3).
Well, usually with Fire Emblem, this isn't an issue, as almost all of them are self-contained stories, often in entirely different worlds.

I only say play FE on the GBA first because it's got a really good introductory/tutorial plotline that was basically made for us English Pig-dogs who hadn't grown up with the series.

side note: Path of Radiance has Marth as the lord right? also might Roy be the lord of the so mentioned FE7? thanks.
No, Marth is the lord in FE1 and FE3, both Japan-only (until the DS remake of FE1 comes out, that is).

And Roy is the lord of FE6, which is the first GBA game, but Japan-only. His game is actually the sequel to FE7, which is just called "Fire Emblem" here in the West.

there's are two versions of Radiant Dawn on both Gamecube and Wii? if you say the Gamecube version is tougher, then I'm all up for it, personally, I'm what you might say "a hardcore RPG'er" so by your standpoint, you saying it's tougher than the Wii (which I don't know why it would be) then it's makes the GC version that much more bad a**. If it's an impossible task, especially in RPG's then it shouldn't really be a problem for me because remember, nothing is impossible ;)
I think Sensai just might be not-so-amazingly-good at Fire Emblem games. The Wii FE is definitely tougher than the GCN one.

And no, they're not different versions. Path of Radiance (FE9) is the Gamecube game. Radiant Dawn (FE10) is the Wii game, which is the sequel to FE9.

side note: have you ever played Final fantasy 12? I've heard it's good but i've never tried it out myself, just want see if someone around here thinks it is.
FFXII is, in my opinion, an okay game.

It's not the best FF ever, and there are a number of problems with it, but it's certainly unique, and definitely worth the money in any case. :)

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
@GigaKoopa: I have always wanted to play the original FFT. I've played FFTA and its sequel, I reccomend both of those. Tactics is an immensely deep and fun strategy series, you change classe and master abilities so you can retain them when you change a class. One could be a Ninja but have full access to Illusionist abilities (using my knowledge of FFTA and FFTA2, not so sure of classes in FFT. Sorry.). But I've never heard a bad thing about the original, so I'd give it a try--I'd love to, I'll have to go on ebay someday.

@Chief Mendez: So what's your opinion of the best FF ever. I absolutely loved VI, myself.

Top Bottom