• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) is supposed to be an absolutely awful game. I'd avoid it and go with GTA IV, especially with the downloadable content coming out somewhere around November.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Or whatever you do, don't buy Sonic. The "next-gen" incarnation is simply ghastly.

Unless you have a fetish for loading screens, or something...

But for 40$ on the 360, you can get...

>BioShock
>Virtua Fighter 5
>Crackdown
>Viva Pinata
>Dead Rising
>Saints Row
>Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

They're listed there in the order of recommendation. So get BioShock first, but if you can't find it, move on to VF5, and if not that, Crackdown, etc. etc.

All those should be under 40$. Some of them are even 20$ or under, actually.

Sensai

Smash Master
If you've played System Shock 2 (not likely, I know...but there are a few of us) then you can pass on the Bioshock experience. It's easier and not as scary but does manage to be a bit more atmospheric.

If you're into open-ended RPGs, you could not go wrong with Oblivion. It pretty much goes on and on and on.

Also, I'mma go ahead and recommend Assassin's Creed (although I'm unsure of whether it's sub 40$ or not). It was amazingly pretty and had some pretty cool ideas behind it. There were parts that were bland and it was definitely repetitive...but it managed to keep my attention to the end. Worth the money, IMO.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If you've played System Shock 2 (not likely, I know...but there are a few of us) then you can pass on the Bioshock experience. It's easier and not as scary but does manage to be a bit more atmospheric.
I played SS2 after BioShock, so maybe my view's a bit skewed, but I think it's worth it to play both.

I mean, that's like saying "if you played Ocarina of Time, you can skip Twilight Princess". They're pretty similar, and SS2 might be the slightly better game, but they're both unique, very well-done experiences.

Also, I'mma go ahead and recommend Assassin's Creed
Blargh. Couldn't stand it. It's one of those "love it or hate it" games. :ohwell:
I hate it

I'd say rent before you buy on that one.

Sensai

Smash Master
About Assassin's Creed, it's pretty much like a slightly worse Prince of Persia game from what I've heard. Since I've never played a Prince of Persia game...I dunno.

And that analogy about SS2/Bioshock and OOT/TP is kinda correct...although they're not as similar as Bioshock and SS2.

Eh, maybe.

Oh, now that I think about it: Bioshock is worth playing if you're one of those people who believes that the game's creator actually meant all that artsy stuff to be in there. If you're into meaning behind games, it's probably worth the money.

Regardless of the fact he probably didn't mean for it to be there to begin with...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Assassin's Creed was really enjoyable for me. The extra stuff they added in, like the Templars and flags, was boring, the only fun extra activity was the Point of View buildings. Climbed every one of those. And yes, the gameplay is repetitive, so if you aren't having a pretty good time when you first pick it up, you should probably just set it aside.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Regardless of the fact he probably didn't mean for it to be there to begin with...
HERESY KEN LEVINE IS A GOD XD

Cashed said:
And yes, the gameplay is repetitive, so if you aren't having a pretty good time when you first pick it up, you should probably just set it aside.
In other words: rent before you buy
(right?)

I mean, one of my friends loves the game, and we're usually on the same page when it comes to what games we like, so...it really is a dividing game. :ohwell:

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Oh I forgot to mention that I rented it. So yeah, definitely rent. I RARELY buy single player only titles, as after I play through them once, I rarely want to go back to them.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Exiting on the 360 was a *****, too. I usually played until I was kicked out of the memory device at the end of a mission, because if you didn't, it was "Exit" which would take you to the normal, modern day room, and then another Exit to the main title screen. Both of which had pretty solid load times.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Hey, I got a question. Is the 360 version of Burnout: Paradice any good? And does it have local multiplayer? Thanks in advance! :)
Meh. It's okay. I personally think Burnout 3 and Revenge (especially Revenge) are much, much better, but Paradise has stuff going for it too.

However, no, there is no local multiplayer in Paradise. Apparently the online multiplayer is pretty good, but if you're looking for a communal racing game, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Should i get Soul Caliber IV? I'm looking for another fighting game to get into since I've lost interest in brawl. SC III was a tad disappointing since I really liked SC II. How is 4?Are there alot of tourneys?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Should i get Soul Caliber IV? I'm looking for another fighting game to get into since I've lost interest in brawl. SC III was a tad disappointing since I really liked SC II. How is 4?Are there alot of tourneys?
Online, yeah. I don't know so much about "IRL" tounraments, but there are places (similar to Brawl, actually) that arrange online tourneys you can look into.

As far as the actual game goes...it's good, but I still think SCII was the perfect Soul Calibur.

And if all you're looking for is a new fighting game, I'd suggest the best 3D fighting game of all time (It's cheaper, better, and if you're playing on 360, online). :chuckle:

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Here's a dilemma:

Rock Band 1 or Guitar Hero: World Tour? Both come out around the same time around here. I'm primarily interested in the drums.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Sonic Chronoicles, Kirby: Super Star Ultra, or Warioland: Shake It! Which, in your opinion, is best?
It depends on whether or not you've already played Kirby Superstar on the SNES. Or if you're willing to go ROM hunting...

If you have, then get Warioland first, followed by Kirby, and Sonic last.

If you have not...then get Warioland first, followed by Kirby, and Sonic last.

See what I did there? Warioland is a wholly unique 2D platformer by Nintendo on a major console. When was the last time that happened? Kirby's value in intrinsically lower than usual because the game's a remake, and there are other ways to go about playing it without spending $35.

And I simply don't think Sonic is as good of a game. Right now the only thing we have to go on are the reviews, which are generally okay, but not the sort of reception you'd see and decide to buy a full-priced game because of.

Sensai

Smash Master
I pretty much agree with Chief Mendez about the whole Kirby/Wario/Sonic debacle.

Kirby Superstar is a MAGNIFICENT game. It's great if you haven't played it before, good if you have. Wario is probably good, although not as good as the Kirby one (if you haven't played it yet).

[Edit:]

Speaking of which, is that new Wario game worth getting? Don't want review scores or anything like that, simply wondering if anyone has played it and could show me the right direction.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Speaking of which, is that new Wario game worth getting? Don't want review scores or anything like that, simply wondering if anyone has played it and could show me the right direction.
You tell me! :bee:

It came in the mail three days ago, and I'm pretty far along in it already, which is saying something since I've been bogged down with other stuff. So yeah, it's really, really short. BUT, I have yet to start the Mission Modes, which is basically side-quests during each level such as "Collect 10,000 coins" or "Defeat the Golden Poppy" or "Complete the level in under 1:00", and so on.

There are at least three of those per level, and there are a very good number of levels. So I imagine I'll have the main game finished up by the weekend...so maybe 7 to 10 hours, depending on how skilled you are at 2D platformers for the main game, but those challenges (which, by the way, are used to unlock extras) could potentially double that length.

Either way, if you're at all a fan of 2D action games (like, say, Kirby Superstar), then this is for you. Really, it's an incredibly good game, and it's awesome to know that Wario can still do more than minimicrogames. :bee:

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Kirby Super Star Ultra, I havent been a big fan of Kirby, the GBA kirby games never really kept my patience for a long time.

Disgaea DS, how downgraded is it?

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, female main character, cutesy sprites, sounds like my kind of game!:bee:

Time Hollow, how good is it?

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, I wasnt a fan of the Dragon Quest on the PS2, will I like this one?

From the Abyss, It apparantly has insane replay value, with random dungeons, random monsters, random everything!

OR

Wait a few days and get that Sonic RPG?

I can only get one...;)
So....what do you guiz think?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Kirby Super Star Ultra, I havent been a big fan of Kirby, the GBA kirby games never really kept my patience for a long time.
Superstar is a much more complex game. Each copy ability has two or three different moves, and you can create helpers by spitting out the ability, which makes a CPU controlled ally follow you around. There are also a ton of things to do in the game beyond the standard adventure mode, of which there are three.

Disgaea DS, how downgraded is it?
It's actually a port of the PSP port, with touch-screen features. Outside of the lack of voice-acting, it's actually got a good deal more content than the PS2 original.

...That said, it's still the first Disgaea game, so unless you've yet to play that game, I say skip it.

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, I wasnt a fan of the Dragon Quest on the PS2, will I like this one?
No. :bee:

Wait a few days and get that Sonic RPG?
I'd really encourage you to go for Disgaea DS assuming you haven't played it on PS2/PSP. If not that, go with Kirby.

Only diehard Sonic fans are going to like Dark Brotherhood.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
So the other ones aren't even worth mentioning?

And the thing I hated about the Dragon Quest for the PS2 is the GRINDING.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Hmm, this may be an odd question, but is anyone here in the Wrath of the Lich King Beta?

Is it worth getting to go with my BC account or no?
BC got boring fast for me, but I'm hoping that WotLK is at least a bit better.

Any suggestions or people who've beta'd?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
So the other ones aren't even worth mentioning?

And the thing I hated about the Dragon Quest for the PS2 is the GRINDING.
Grinding's a big part of the Dragon Quest. Personally I love it, but it's obviously not for everyone all non-Japanese people.

The other ones...

Time Hollow: I really don't know much about this one, but from the people involved, I wouldn't bet the farm on it or anything. Also there are already a slew of really good adventure games on the DS that are handily cheaper *coughhotelduskroom215isonly20bucksnowcough*

Rhapsody: I played and hated it on PSX (though that said, I can't read Japanese, so that probably didn't help). It was just way too easy. And the horrendous cute factor only made it worse. I honestly wasn't aware they were remaking it for DS, but unless they beefed up the difficulty, you'd be better off playing Disgaea again than buying this.

From the Abyss: I've never heard of this, so I skipped it at first. But since you asked, I looked it up...and it looks like a fine game and all...but there are some really, really good dungeon-crawlers that I at least have been playing since they came out. In particular, Etrian Odyssey (there's a sequel I have yet to buy) and Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (ditto). I've logged over 200 hours into each of those games over the past few years, and they have yet to get tiresome for me.

@urdailywater: I'd recommend you stop giving Blizzard your money, and pick up a free MMORPG if you have to play one at all. I have yet to play one that I liked, but apparently I'm in the vast minority there, so feel free to disregard my opinion on that.

binki4 said:
the game i should get is castlevania judgement and sonic unleashed
Uh, cool?

...If you're asking which one to get, I say Castlevania.

Now, take that with several million grains of salt, since I am a professed Castlevania nerd as well as a stalwart naysayer of all 3D Sonic gamess.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Hmm, this may be an odd question, but is anyone here in the Wrath of the Lich King Beta?

Is it worth getting to go with my BC account or no?
BC got boring fast for me, but I'm hoping that WotLK is at least a bit better.

Any suggestions or people who've beta'd?
My housemate has beta'd. From someone who's played a little WoW (literally, some WoW. Highest I've gotten to is 23) and watched the WotLK beta from afar, i can tell you this: It's more World of Warcraft.

If you've got the time and dedication to get to a level where you'll be able to appreciate the expansion, then dive right in. If you found BC and WoW in general boring, you might not be converted.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
My housemate has beta'd. From someone who's played a little WoW (literally, some WoW. Highest I've gotten to is 23) and watched the WotLK beta from afar, i can tell you this: It's more World of Warcraft.

If you've got the time and dedication to get to a level where you'll be able to appreciate the expansion, then dive right in. If you found BC and WoW in general boring, you might not be converted.
Never really found WoW in general boring, just BC itself if it's hard to believe.

BC Ruined things because of conflicts between arenas and raiders.

I was just hoping that WotLK made a further leap from BC, or if it was just more BC.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Darkwashu: If you don't wanna play Dragon Quest for the grinding, it's probably a GOOD idea that you not pick up Disgaea...

Also, I'm not sure that Sonic RPG game is actually as much for diehard Sonic fans as it is for people who like generic RPGs. As far as I've heard, you could substitute any characters in there and it'd be fine.

And fine, I suppose I'll get Wario Land: Shake It! when it comes down in price. I have problems spending that much money for it if I already have other games I need to beat.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@Sensai: There's definitely grinding in Disgaea, but it's nowhere near as bad as in Dragon Quest. The awesome dialog and endless options of the former are a far cry from the "a Slime draws near! > Attack > Attack > Get 4XP > Repeat xInfinity" of the latter.

But yeah, if grinding and leveling isn't your thing, stay away from both (even though Disgaea's really good!).

The Executive said:
SmackDown VS Raw 2009 (PS3) or MotorStorm: Pacific Rift? Considering the track record of both series I'm not sure which to get.
I haven't played a wrestling game since Fire Pro on the PS2, and that's not even a "traditional" wrestling game. The last time I played a WWE-based game was way back on the N64 in No Mercy...which I remember loving...

But yeah, I have no idea if SVR 2009 is worth buying. Off the cuff though, unless Yukes is developing it, I'd say go with Motorstorm. The original was a decent game in it's won right (even though I prefer a more arcadey experience to the sim-like feel of MS), so really, if you have to get either of those, I say:

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
A guy on 1upFM recommended Sonic Chronicles, said it was fun and would be ideal for anyone who liked Super Mario RPG. Which, it seems, is basically all of you. Won't be buying it personally, just thought I'd put in a good word for it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
A guy on 1upFM recommended Sonic Chronicles, said it was fun and would be ideal for anyone who liked Super Mario RPG. Which, it seems, is basically all of you. Won't be buying it personally, just thought I'd put in a good word for it.
Concerning this, I give you this nugget of wisdom:

Sensai said:
Also, I'm not sure that Sonic RPG game is actually as much for diehard Sonic fans as it is for people who like generic RPGs. As far as I've heard, you could substitute any characters in there and it'd be fine.
...Which you could easily apply to Super Mario RPG. The big difference, obviously, is that Mario's universe is actually worth exploring and expounding on.

I mean, if SMRPG didn't have Mario...well, then it would just be Super RPG. i.e. boring, and nobody would have bought it. So in that light I still say the only people who're going to like the game are Sonic fans or really devoted BioWare fans.

Sensai

Smash Master
...Which you could easily apply to Super Mario RPG. The big difference, obviously, is that Mario's universe is actually worth exploring and expounding on.

I mean, if SMRPG didn't have Mario...well, then it would just be Super RPG. i.e. boring, and nobody would have bought it. So in that light I still say the only people who're going to like the game are Sonic fans or really devoted BioWare fans.
I think you contradict yourself here. First you state that Super Mario RPG is a generic RPG that could have any characters...and then say that it couldn't?

IMO, Super Mario RPG wouldn't work as well with other characters. The way that Mushroom Kingdom plays out in the story, the way that Mario never speaks, the way that Bowser has these inner conflicts about helping people out....I dunno. The story is inherent in the character, which I don't think is true of Sonic Chronicles...but I could be wrong.

I think I get what you're trying to say, but could you explain more?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I think I get what you're trying to say, but could you explain more?
What I mean is, if the characters in SMRPG were just original Square characters, it wouldn't be such a cult classic. Then you'd just have a really easy RPG with notable-for-the-time graphics and a rather generic plot.

The fact that those characters are characters you'd known since 1981 was what really made the game shine.

Now, take Sonic Chronicles:

It's, by all accounts, a rather bland and archetypical RPG. So unless you really have a thing for those characters, you'll just be buying a really easy RPG.

That help? I realize it was kind of contradictory...but maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about: I've never finished SMRPG, and I can't stand to play the game anyways, so I could be way off base here. :ohwell:

Sensai

Smash Master
Ah, I get what you mean now.

It really shocks me that you don't like SMRPG. I guess it shouldn't, as you seem to like harsher RPGs (Disgaea, I choose you!)...but seriously. SMRPG is probably up there with my favorite RPGs of all time.

It is a game that is definitely dependant on the Mario universe...but isn't every Mario game? I think the comparison between SMRPG and Sonic Chronicles holds water until you look at it too long (this being said without having played SC). SMRPG is dependant on the world it's in, whereas SC isn't and could have any characters/world/etc...if my sources are to be believed.

I think what I'm trying to say, and probably failling, is that Super Mario RPG is a Mario game that happens to be an RPG whereas Sonic Chronicles is an RPG...that happens to have Sonic characters.

When did this thread become Super Mario RPG discussion?

Top Bottom