• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
It varies by which systems are available to you.

Wii > Guilty Gear XX ^ Core (only if you play with a Classic Controller)
PS2 > Guilty Gear XX Slash
PSP > Guilty Gear Judgment
DS > Guilty Gear Dust Strikers (it's not bad...it's just misunderstood)

Of those, ^ Core is the latest version, and the one I prefer.

As for competition...

...ideally, and if you actually want to get into the really, really hardcore GG levels, you should move to Japan and play exclusively on cabinets. Barring that...uh, technically GGXX # Reload on the original XBOX has online play...

...I honestly don't know about how you'd go about getting involved in a compettive scene. I'm fairly sure there's a GG Social Group on SWF...

A-ha! Here it is. Ask around there, and if you still aren't satisfied, the people on dustloop.com can definitely get you started.

Personally, I only play GG "casually", but I'd reckon I'm a fair shake at it, even if I've only played against a few people seriously. It's definitely one of (if not the) best sprite-based 2D fighting series out there, so I fully advocate this decision. :bee:
Ah, thanks very much. Ever since I started attempting to learn to play melee at a competitive level, I've gotten really into learning how to play other fighters. I'm having issues getting my FPS fix though since I can't manage time worth a ****...

Edit: Also, I have all of those systems save the X-box, is it worth getting all of them or is there one that I'm better off getting, which it seems would be accent core in your opinion?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If you have a Classic Controller (hopefully two, so you can play with someone else to practice), then go with ^ Core on Wii. The PS2 version of ^ Core is buggy as hell, and anything before ^ Core is...well, it's not as good. Simple as that.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
If you have a Classic Controller (hopefully two, so you can play with someone else to practice), then go with ^ Core on Wii. The PS2 version of ^ Core is buggy as hell, and anything before ^ Core is...well, it's not as good. Simple as that.
Gotcha. Figure I'll pick up Dust Strikers and Judgement so I can play it on the go though.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Somebody had mentioned Hybrid Heaven and Jet Force Gemini in a post a few days ago, could've been this thread or another in the Light House. Regardless, I snagged them for $9 at a used games store. There was also Link's Awakening DX AND the original Link's Awakening with screen warp and associated glitches intact, but at $15 I passed. I already bought Link's Awakening once a decade or so ago (it was stolen) so I'm legally cleared for owning a rom.

Any other must-have N64 games I should know about?

I already have:

Super Mario 64
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer
Mario Party 3
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi Story
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Tooie
Quake 2
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Hybrid Heaven
Jet Force Gemini
Starfox 64 (VC)
Sin and Punishment (VC)
Paper Mario (VC)
Pokemon Snap (VC)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (GCN Collector's Edition)
Zelda: Majora's Mask (GCN Collector's Edition)
Zelda: Master Quest (GCN OOT/MQ Disc)

I am not terribly interested in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, I'm getting the XBLA Kazooie remake, and I may get F-Zero X but I already have the original and GX so I probably wouldn't be missing much without the 64DD expansion.

Any ideas?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Any other must-have N64 games I should know about?

I already have:

Super Mario 64
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer
Mario Party 3
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi Story
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Tooie
Quake 2
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Hybrid Heaven
Jet Force Gemini
Starfox 64 (VC)
Sin and Punishment (VC)
Paper Mario (VC)
Pokemon Snap (VC)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (GCN Collector's Edition)
Zelda: Majora's Mask (GCN Collector's Edition)
Zelda: Master Quest (GCN OOT/MQ Disc)

I am not terribly interested in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, I'm getting the XBLA Kazooie remake, and I may get F-Zero X but I already have the original and GX so I probably wouldn't be missing much without the 64DD expansion.

Any ideas?
I can't believe Hey You! Pikachu isn't on that list. O.o

I'm serious about that too. If you can manage to find an actual cartridge, with a working microphone attachment, it's right up there with the Dreamcast legend Seaman in terms of how cool a voice-based game can be.

...But it's really more of an oddity than a must-have.

As far as that goes, things you really should play that you haven't already are pretty limited, but include:

>Harvest Moon 64
>SanFrancisco Rush 2049
>Blast Corps
>Rocket: Robot on Wheels
>Rayman 2 (unless you've played the Dreamcast port, it's best on the 64)
>Space Station: Silicon Valley
>1080 Snowboarding

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
To put what Chief Mendez FORGOT, get Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, and Star Wars Rouge Squadron.

All awesome games.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
To put what Chief Mendez FORGOT, get Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, and Star Wars Rouge Squadron.

All awesome games.
Except that The Executive's waiting for the XBLA Banjo-Kazooie port. ;)

Plus, I hate Paper Mario, so why would I recommend that? And...uh...yeah I did forget Rogue Squadron (though apparently there's a Wii port of all three games on one disc in the works, so take that into consideration first).

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I'd add WWF No Mercy as well if you're into that type of thing. It's hands-down the finest wrestling game ever made.

EDIT: And Wave Race 64! How could I have forgotten?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@derek: Ever played Fire Pro Wrestling on the PS2? Seriously, I know it doesn't look like much, but this is hands-down the best wrestling game ever.

@Skyler: Yeah, Rare's porting the game to XBLA soon. The only change (besides the controller, obviously) is that they've replaced all mentions/logos/symbols of Nintendo with Microsoft Game Studios and Rare. Also apparently Tip Tup had to be cut, since Nintendo owns the character.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, Microsoft let them keep the Gameboy in the file select screen. Or that's how the demo was, at least.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
derek.haines said:
I played the GBA game, but it never grabbed me. I'll give the PS2 version a look.
I didn't even know the series was on GBA...anyway, Returns is less than 10$ on Amazon, and I'm serious about it being so good. Ever wonder why Suda 51 has such a fetish for masked wrestlers and suplexes?

@Skyler: I honestly didn't even remember that there was a Gameboy in the game. Maybe I need to play the game again...

...When does it come out on XBLA?

The Executive

Smash Lord
I can't believe Hey You! Pikachu isn't on that list. O.o
I played it once, and it was ok, but I got bored kinda quickly. I don't do voice-command games.

>Harvest Moon 64
>SanFrancisco Rush 2049
>Blast Corps
>Rocket: Robot on Wheels
>Rayman 2 (unless you've played the Dreamcast port, it's best on the 64)
>Space Station: Silicon Valley
>1080 Snowboarding
The only Rayman I ever played was Rayman Arena and Rayman GBA. Decent, but not mindblowing. I'm definitely getting 1080 though, and possibly SSX Tricky.

Waiting for the XBLA port and Paper Mario I have on VC (it's no SMRPG, but it's still amazing). As far as Rogue Squadron, I had Rogue Leader but made the mistake of selling it. I played Rogue Squadron on the PC and I liked it, so I may pick up that compilation disc Chief Mendez mentioned.

I'd add WWF No Mercy as well if you're into that type of thing. It's hands-down the finest wrestling game ever made.
Actually, I'm pretty sure FPR trumps No Mercy across the board, although I'm not adverse to buying it.

EDIT: And Wave Race 64! How could I have forgotten?
Sounds good.

[response address] Fire Pro Wrestling [blather] best wrestling game ever.
Fire Pro Returns is hands down the best wrestling game on the planet. WWE products don't even come close (KoCII is as close as a 3D wrestler gets). There is nothing I could say that would ever describe the sheer awesomeness that is Fire Pro, be it the gameplay or the godlike CAW system. GO BUY IT. NOW.

(note: it barely runs on 80GB PS3s. Find a 60GB or keep your PS2 handy)

/shameless plug

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The only Rayman I ever played was Rayman Arena and Rayman GBA. Decent, but not mindblowing. I'm definitely getting 1080 though, and possibly SSX Tricky.
Yeah, those games are horrible. The original Rayman on PSX is a very good 2D platformer, but Rayman 2 is considered by some to be (gasp!) actually better than it's contemporary, Super Mario 64.

Just don't buy it on DS or PSX, and you'll love it.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Fire Pro Returns is hands down the best wrestling game on the planet. WWE products don't even come close (KoCII is as close as a 3D wrestler gets). There is nothing I could say that would ever describe the sheer awesomeness that is Fire Pro, be it the gameplay or the godlike CAW system. GO BUY IT. NOW.
]
I'm really going to have to check that one out. I'll go kill two birds with one stone and put it on my Amazon credit card...

**** it if I don't love that AKI fighting system though, nothing at all has come nearly as close in mainstream wrestling games since.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Also, I'm not a huge proponent of the WWE games by any means (the last ones I bought were Day of Reckoning 2 and SVR2007), but SVR2009 is looking really, really good. Actual effort is being put into the tag team mode, Yukes abolished the horrific fighting style system present in SVR2008, old match types are returning, there's a Create-a-Finisher mode, and the CAW clothing will actually animate realistically now. Here's to hoping they playtest the **** thing for glitches before release. *crosses fingers*

derek.haines

Smash Ace
There you go. Have fun with that, man. :bee:

Developed by Aki, ridiculously fun, and based on one of the coolest Jump Comics I've ever read.
LOL! I totally forgot about that game. I rented it back in the GCN's heyday, and I haven't thought about it since... I'm totally going to have to look that one up again.

@The Executive:
Let's see...the last wrestling game I actually cared about was Here Comes the Pain on the PS2. Wow, it's been awhile. I've heard positive things about the progress being made in the SVR2009. It's been ages since I've watched professional wrestling, but I'm always open for another couple bouts in a wrestling game.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
I have a dilemma. I'm about to sell a whoel lot of my wii games"Call of Duty 3, Need for Speed Carbon, Rayman Raving Rabids, The Ant Bully, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam and Surfs Up for the 360" By selling those I can get 44 dollars. But if I sell Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess I could get 88 dollars doubling my original price.

Should I sell the two? I beat them both pretty thouroly and love them alot.
But if I do sell them what games should I get?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I have a dilemma. I'm about to sell a whoel lot of my wii games"Call of Duty 3, Need for Speed Carbon, Rayman Raving Rabids, The Ant Bully, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam and Surfs Up for the 360" By selling those I can get 44 dollars. But if I sell Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess I could get 88 dollars doubling my original price.

Only 44 dollars for four games? I think you can get more than that for them, maybe (I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, because my sentence sort of sound like that). Have you considered Ebay for some of those games. People go absolutely crazy sometimes from what I've seen. If not, 44 dollars is better than nothing, though.

As for SMG and TP, those are your personal choice to sell or not. If they really mean a lot to you, then I wouldn't sell them, but you can always get those games back as they're pretty well known, so either or. It depends on how much you want money versus those games, because you could get a nice sum of money for those.

I'm playing Metroid Fusion right now, and I LOVE it! I was playing Zero Mission before (GameStop had a sale), but got stuck on that, and moved to Fusion. It's grand fun! I only wish now that I had played Super Metroid...

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 is something to look into as well. It keeps its difficulty level on an all-time high as usual--it took me forever to pass one certain operation. I'm just wondering how it wil fit in with the New Blood storyline.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ VaneWalker: ****. You must be going through GameStop, huh? I really wish they didn't shaft people as hard as they do...

As for what games you should get, might I suggest No More Heroes for the Wii? Also, if you've got a DS and haven't already played them, I'd definitely suggest picking up either Final Fantasy IV and/or Kirby Super Star Ultra. They're both amazingly good.

Tangent: FF4 is REALLY good. Like, it's probably one of my favorite in the series (under Tactics, above 8...setting it in at number 2). I would LOVE to see Square redo it in high-def, with decent voice acting.

derek.haines

Smash Ace

If you liked SMG and TP, then I'd suggest looking into Okami. It's really a wonderful game, and it's worth every penny you'll pay for it. Also, Blast Works for the Wii is going for sub-$10 on Amazon and in most Target stores I've seen. It's an awesome, inventive side-scrolling shooter with a legitimate internet community.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's a policy of mine to simply never sell any games, since the returns aren't good enough to warrant it, it robs the developers of their deserved money, and more often than not, a month after I sell the thing I'll get a craving to play it again.

...But then, I don't make a habit of buying shovelware like Ant Bully and Surf's Up (that movie was awesome though).

If you must sell your games, don't trade in Mario and Zelda. A few of the games in the 44$ group are worth keeping, but none of them stack up next to those two Nintendo games.

Overload

Smash Lord
I just picked up LOZ nes classic version for gba and lttp/4 swords for gba. If anyone here hasn't played lttp, get it for gba. Fifteen bucks used from gamestop.

Sensai

Smash Master
OK, here we go. Got a question about what games to acquire.

What games for Sega Saturn are good? I've got access to the Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, and NiGHTS...but what else do I need?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
OK, here we go. Got a question about what games to acquire.

What games for Sega Saturn are good? I've got access to the Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, and NiGHTS...but what else do I need?
Problem solved. :bee:

...But assuming you ever get tired of the only ARPG on par with Ocarina of Time, the following are all the games I've ever owned for the Saturn, back when I still had mine:

>Burning Rangers (time has not been kind to this game)
>Die Hard Arcade (fun with a friend, but otherwise no)
>Panzer Dragoon (Zwei wipes the floor with this one)
>Virtual On (these games are awesome)
>Fighters Megamix (FIGHT AS A NASCAR YES)
>Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Yum!)
>Astal (mediocre platformer; might have been a launch game)
>Guardian Heroes (like Gunstar Heroes on crack)
>Nights into Dreams
>Sonic Jam (just a bunch of ports)
>Virtua Fighter 3 (VF4 or 5 are a million times better)
>Saturn Bomberman (best Bomberman ever)

Definite buys are in red, maybe-if-you-re-interested's are in blue, and not worth it titles are crossed out.

Sensai

Smash Master
Interesting that you crossed out Astal, as I heard it was actually pretty good. I'll probably see if I can borrow it from a mate who likely has it. Not a buy, though.

I've also heard good things about Die Hard Arcade/Fighters Megamix, so I'll try those out.

Are the Panzer Dragoon games...like, linear? No, that's not right. Are they in order? Do I need to have played the first one to understand the second, and that one to understand Saga, etc?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Interesting that you crossed out Astal, as I heard it was actually pretty good. I'll probably see if I can borrow it from a mate who likely has it. Not a buy, though.
It's okay, but if you didn't play it back then, you won't see it as worthwhile now. It's one of those games that doesn't age well...

Are the Panzer Dragoon games...like, linear? No, that's not right. Are they in order? Do I need to have played the first one to understand the second, and that one to understand Saga, etc?
Not really. There are a few little tidbits that you'll find funny if you play them in order--sort of like all the Ocarina of Time references in Windwaker...but if you're not a stickler for canon, just start with Zwei.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 since I've heard of a price drop around the holidays. The problem is that there are only two games for the PS3 that I really want and I can't justify that kind of cost for two games. Anyone have any decent games for the system other than Disgaea 3 and LittleBigPlanet? I still might not even buy it since I'm saving money for a new computer.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Alright, so I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 since I've heard of a price drop around the holidays. The problem is that there are only two games for the PS3 that I really want and I can't justify that kind of cost for two games. Anyone have any decent games for the system other than Disgaea 3 and LittleBigPlanet? I still might not even buy it since I'm saving money for a new computer.
Exclusives, right? Because there are a ton of multiplatform games that I prefer on the PS3 over the 360, but I suppose for now we'll stay exclusive.

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
- Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Resistance: Fall of Man / Resistance 2
- Wipeout HD (DL)
- Pixel Junk Monsters (DL)
- Warhawk
- The Last Guy (DL)
- Singstar [BEST DRINKING GAME EVER]
- Motorstorm
- Super Stardust HD (DL)
- Gran Turismo 5 [Whenever it comes out...]

And, personally, whenever a game comes out on both the 360 and the PS3, I choose the PS3 version 9 times out of 10. My 360 exists only for exclusives.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not getting MGS4. I used to be a huge fan, but not anymore. I've heard Uncharted is a sort of meh game and I'm not that into third person shooters. Ratchet and Clank might be cool, I enjoyed the previous games on the PS2. I had totally forgotten they released one for the PS3. I'll probably skip Resistance since I prefer FPS games on the PC. I hadn't given much thought to downloadable games, but I'll look into the ones you reccomended. Warhawk looks cool, I had forgotten about it though since it seemed to kind of fall off the map in terms of hype. I'll probably skip Singstar, doesn't really look like my thing. Motorstorm looked cool, but I don't know much about it. Gran Turismo on the other hand rocks so I'd probably go for that. I forgot to mention one more game I want that I was planning on getting for the 360 since it was easier to afford, Virtua Fighter 5. Well thanks for the advice. And feel free to list some multi-platform games, it's going to be either a 360 or a PS3, not both.

Top Bottom