• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Darkslash

Smash Master
I earlier asked for your advice on good non-Nintendo Wii Games.

- Battalion Wars 2
- Okami
- Zak & Wiki
- Resident Evil 4
- No more heroes

Christmas is getting closer and I'm gonna wish for nothing but Wii games this year, to make sure I get at least ONE. Can you name any other games worth playing?
If you like shooters and you have 2 M rated games, get Call of Duty World at War+what Mandez said.

world at war is currently a must buy game for the Wii. I rented it and got up to level 49 according to the game in 25 hours worth of time over a week. Its that addicting. Plus the campaign gives you some tough decisions on what to make. Plus you will get some hatred towards the Nazi Germans and Imperialist Japanese in this game. Death Scenes are just gruesome. Banzai attacks are stab or be stabbed.

Overall a addicting and fun game on the Wii, get it for chritmas, i sure am.

neodoodot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neodoodot
Is the new Spyro any good? It looks incredible...
actually it looks amazing!! I REALLY don't like Spyro games...you mostly just run around randomly and collect some gems, but this one actually seems like it has new gameplay, an amazing story, and the new mature look of Spyro is really great. overall I'd say get ths game, and I think I'll do the same ^^

infernovia

Smash Ace
Ok guys, I really want guilty gear X2 for the ps2, but I have been unable to find any US versions (to be fair, I have only checked online). Do I have to import it from japan? I would prefer to buy something that I don't have to mod my PS2 for (but that is an option). Also, which of the guilty gear x2 series should I get?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ok guys, I really want guilty gear X2 for the ps2, but I have been unable to find any US versions (to be fair, I have only checked online). Do I have to import it from japan? I would prefer to buy something that I don't have to mod my PS2 for (but that is an option). Also, which of the guilty gear x2 series should I get?
If you're getting it on the PS2, try and find XX Slash. It's the most recent version on the system aside from Accent Core.

"So why shouldn't I just buy Accent Core?"

Because AC on the PS2 is literally riddled with bugs. Japan saw a re-release of the game with all the fixes in place, but other regions have had no such luck. That said, if you own a Wii, pick up Accent Core on that instead, as it has all those fixes, and is the most recent home release of the series.

The only caveat there is that you'd better have a Classic Controller. The Wiimote controls are utter crap.

tl;dr - Get Accent Core on Wii, or XX Slash on the PS2

infernovia

Smash Ace
If you're getting it on the PS2, try and find XX Slash. It's the most recent version on the system aside from Accent Core.

Because AC on the PS2 is literally riddled with bugs. Japan saw a re-release of the game with all the fixes in place, but other regions have had no such luck. That said, if you own a Wii, pick up Accent Core on that instead, as it has all those fixes, and is the most recent home release of the series.

The only caveat there is that you'd better have a Classic Controller. The Wiimote controls are utter crap.

Thanks. You helped me a lot. :)

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Which LEGO game would you recomend?

LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga
LEGO Batman
LEGO Indiana Jones

(Games are in no particular order)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Which LEGO game would you recomend?
Star Wars. Not only is it just more bang for your buck, but I enjoyed playing around in that universe than the other two.

Somehow a dancing Darth Vader is much more humorous than a dancing Joker or...the bad guy from Raiders(?).

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Actually the both US versions don't have any of the bugs the Japanese release had. They fixed everything before releasing it here, I believe.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yeah I never played the PS2 version. That's just what I heard.

So yeah. Nevermind--just get Accent Core on whichever system you prefer (probably PS2 in that case, due to the controller thing).

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
ok my turn,i am picking games out for xmas and i would like a oppinion,all games are for wii and are pal,i have nights and sonic unleashed allready,so here are my choices,
alone in the dark,disaster,cod 5,re umbrella chronicles,fire emblem,guitar hero,pokemon battle revolution,tales of symphoina·
will post more later.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Out of those?

In order, I'd say:

1. Call of Duty 5
2. Fire Emblem
3. Umbrella Chronicles
4. Guitar Hero
5. Tales of Symphonia
6. Disaster
7. Alone in the Dark
8. Pokemon Battle Revolution

...But that's without knowing what kind of games you generally play or any preferences you might have. For instance if you play a lot of RPGs, then Fire Emblem and Symphonia would be the top 2 there.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I know i asked for your opinion a few days ago but please listen.

I just got a 2000 points card and still have 200 points on my wii. I already have Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, SNES Metriod and NES Metriod. I am looking for a nice one player game, and I don't like Mario Games. (64, 1, 2, 3, etc.)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I know i asked for your opinion a few days ago but please listen.

I just got a 2000 points card and still have 200 points on my wii. I already have Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, SNES Metriod and NES Metriod. I am looking for a nice one player game, and I don't like Mario Games. (64, 1, 2, 3, etc.)
So 2200 points, eh. Hmm.

I'd say, in order...

1. A Link to the Past (SNES, 800 points)
2. Sonic 2 (Genesis, 800 points)
3. Bonk Returns (TurboGrafx16, 600 points) - or any of the other 2 Bonk games, really

Right there you've got 2200 points worth of games. But let's say you don't favor those...

4. Super Castlevania IV (SNES, 800)
5. Kirby's Adventure (NES, 500)
6. Mega Man 3 (NES, 500)
7. Mega Man 2 (NES, 500)
8. Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 800)
9. Ninja Gaiden II (NES, 500) - or the original
10. Sin & Punishment (N64, 1200)
11. Alien Soldier (Genesis, 800)
12. ActRaiser (SNES, 800)

...That's about all the 1P games I currently own, and I highly recommend all of them.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
So I'm getting an Xbox 360 very soon and I'm trying to decide which game to get first out of the following:

- Fallout 3
- Left 4 Dead
- Call of Duty 4
- Halo 3
- Fable 2

I'm planning on getting Xbox Live and doing a lot of multiplayer so that might rule out Fallout and Fable. But what do you guys think?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If you're looking for the best multiplayer out of those, go with Left 4 Dead. Unfortunately that's about all it's got going for it, so if you want a good single-player game to go with the multiplayer fun, go with Call of Duty 4, then Halo 3.

All of those games are fun, so pick them all up eventually though.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Why thank you Chief Mendez. I've heard people say that Left 4 Dead is the most fun they've had with any multiplayer game, but people tend to overrate things, so I wasn't quite sure what to think.

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
So I'm getting an Xbox 360 very soon and I'm trying to decide which game to get first out of the following:

- Fallout 3
- Left 4 Dead
- Call of Duty 4
- Halo 3
- Fable 2

I'm planning on getting Xbox Live and doing a lot of multiplayer so that might rule out Fallout and Fable. But what do you guys think?
Call of Duty 4
It is one of the best multiplayer games of all time, period.

I don't know a lot about Left 4 Dead though.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Pass on Fallout 3. It's the most overrated game this gen.
Wait on Left 4 Dead. It won't last long at $60, a price drop will happen in the next few months.
Pass on Call of Duty 4. With World at War recently being released, the community will start winding down, and Infinity Ward has doe nothing in regards to post-release support for CoD4 except a single map pack.
Get Halo 3. It's got an irritating community at times, but it'll be the most bang for your buck. Bungie is great at supporting their games post-release, and have been supporting Halo 3 very well for over the last year with seven maps already released, and another six on the way that we know of.
Get Fable 2. The game has a great atmosphere, the combat system is the most fun of any action RPG I've ever played and there's downloadable content on the way to keep the experience going.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If you liked the first Gears you'll like the second. The only real negative I can think of is that the storyline--against all expectations--actually got worse. Which is the primary reason I've never finished either game. :ohwell:

...But apparently that's not a big thing for most people. So yeah, probably a safe buy. Horde mode is an absolutely amazing multiplayer mode, if nothing else.

Sensai

Smash Master
I thought that Gears 2 had a better storyline? That's what I heard made it much better than the first. Huh, who knows?

As for Sad Panda:

Fallout 3 : If you played Oblivion, you should probably pass. I haven't played it, but from the little I have, it looks to be more of the same.

Left 4 Dead : Is one of my new favorite games. If you can, get it for the PC. If you can't...I dunno. $60 bucks is a little hefty for something that's so multiplayer centric and so tailored to PC. I love the game, but can't imagine playing it on the 360 or without a group of 3 other guys who wanna play with me. Basically, if you've got friends who'll play with you, get it. If not, DEFINITELY a pass.

Call of Duty 4 : I'm not a big FPS fan (unless there's some other draw on it, see Left 4 Dead, TF2) and never got into this one. From what I've seen and played, it was alright...if you like FPS games. :-/

Halo 3 : It's not any kinda secret, I don't like Halo. I absolutely love the music and the single player was alright in the first one...but I've never been a fan. I wouldn't really listen to my opinion on this; go with someone else's.

Fable 2 : Loved it, but I must caution: it's only worth as much as you're willing to put into it. If you just wanna do the main quest, it'll take you MAYBE 15 hours. If you're willing to explore/do other things, it'll take you much, much longer. Highly recommended.

There's no TL;DR version due to the fact that most these snippets from above come with conditions (did you play Oblivion, do your friends have it, etc).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It probably won't benefit at all with waggle controls, and to boot--the game was never really all that popular to begin with. I wouldn't bet on it, and even if they do port it, I can almost guarantee you that it'll still play better on the GCN.

@Sensai: The plot of both games is staid as hell, but in Gears 2 the dialogue was just so stupidly over the top that it ruined the rest of the game for me. I can understand Rambo dialogue like that if the game acknowledges how dumb it is (see: Serious Sam, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Arms, etc.)...but Gears insists on taking it's narrative as seriously as any other game.

Blah.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'm looking for a good Wii game, but if I had to pick one of these three which should I get?
Super Mario Galaxy or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, or Sonic Unleashed? Or another game that you guys think beats those three.

Thanks in advance.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Super Mario Galaxy

It's not even up for debate. If anyone tells you otherwise they're not in their right mind. After that I'd go with Fire Emblem, then Sonic. Just be prepared for a game that's 60% crap and 40% amazing.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Or you can skip Sonic and go with the next best Thing, Call of Duty World at War. Super Mario Galaxy is a must and Fire emblem is there only if you like Turn based games where if your unit dies it dies for good.

Matt07

Smash Master
Aah, thanks guys. Well I never played Fire Emblem before, and from what I hear it's sounds extremely difficult (FF3 DS anyone?) I don't really want to go through that much frustration again. Aah, I'm not one for FPS, they're not my...'cup of tea' so to speak. I'll go with Super Mario Galaxy then.

Sensai

Smash Master
QUESTION:

Is the original Baldur's Gate worth playing, or should I skip it and go on to Baldur's Gate II and Planescape Torment?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Skip it. It's basically the same game, just much less refined and badly-paced. The second game's a must-play, though I don't think I'd say the same about that last one...

EDIT - Oh, hey I actually have a question this time!

I'm thinking about picking up Nightshade for PS2, as I just finally-godd*mn-that-was-hard finished Shinobi. But apparently it's not half the game the latter is, so does this thread think the game's worth $20?

X Shinigami X

Smash Cadet
What game should I get? Mario kart wii / Super smash brothers melee / COD world at war / Another game thats better? And if so what game....

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
What game should I get? Mario kart wii / Super smash brothers melee / COD world at war / Another game thats better? And if so what game....
Melee, seriously this game is still being competitvely played 6+ years after its release. This game oozes replay value. Mario Kart Wii, gets boring after like a month. I don't know about COD5 but still melee.

Top Bottom