• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Melee, seriously this game is still being competitvely played 6+ years after its release. This game oozes replay value. Mario Kart Wii, gets boring after like a month. I don't know about COD5 but still melee.
This.

Definitely get Melee. The fact that you don't have it already is almost a crime.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Melee, seriously this game is still being competitvely played 6+ years after its release.
By that same token, if you're not going to play it competitively, there's not much point in picking it up, unless you're a huge fan of the games and want to see where Brawl got it's cool.

Assuming you're not playing competitively, and aren't too interested in it...Mario Kart's probably the better of those other games you listed.

i know what should i get is castlevania judgement that is the best castlevania fighting game ever had to get your hands on
I have no idea what you mean by this. Is...is this even a question? :confused:

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
I'm in search of a good wii title, currently in Europe and i'd prefer it to be first party... i did like Tales of symphonia for game cube but since dawn of the new world isnt in europe i cant pick it up yet..... so other than that im only interested in first parties... u should note though that i do have some already so the suggestion would be outta these lines: twilight, WLand Shake it, SMGalaxy, Sonic + secret rings (oh yeah id love some sonic titles as well cause i believe they are something like both 1st party and 3rd party, they are segas first party and nintendos 3rd party.....still though thats the only exception), Brawl, MP3, MKart and finally pokemon battle revolution....

i do have some in mind but still need advice: Sonic Unleashed, Super Paper Mario, (Tell me if u think i should get any good title that is not out but will be soon.. soon means 1 month at max)

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
So, I came into the Metal Gear series late, having just finished 1 and 2. I though that the first game was one of the best I had ever played, then I absolutely hated MGS2. So should I continue the series?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@oceanic--ice: If you liked Secret Rings you'll love Unleashed. I find it to be 60% sh*t and 40% awesome, which is saying something from me.

Other good 1st party games include Batallion Wars II, Excite Truck, and Mario Strikers Charged (Football). There are more I'd suggest, but you're across the pond, so I'm not as solid on what's out and what's not over there...

@highandmightyjoe: So you liked MGS1, but didn't like MGS2? Then you will love Snake Eater. Seriously. Go pick up Subsistence for $20.

And also: make sure that when the game asks you in the beginning if it's your first time playing a MGS game, that you say "I like MGS2!"

Very important.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
@oceanic--ice: If you liked Secret Rings you'll love Unleashed. I find it to be 60% sh*t and 40% awesome, which is saying something from me.

Other good 1st party games include Batallion Wars II, Excite Truck, and Mario Strikers Charged (Football). There are more I'd suggest, but you're across the pond, so I'm not as solid on what's out and what's not over there...

@highandmightyjoe: So you liked MGS1, but didn't like MGS2? Then you will love Snake Eater. Seriously. Go pick up Subsistence for $20.

And also: make sure that when the game asks you in the beginning if it's your first time playing a MGS game, that you say "I like MGS2!"

Very important.
oki ty ill go for sonic unleashed, my bro wanted paper mario so i told him to play all our multiplayer wii games and the one who wins most choose our next game :p but ill prob beat him like 5-1 (he knows the stages for mario kart better cause i never bother playing it so he will p0wn me at rainbow road and other hard ones)...

Darkslash

Smash Master
What game should I get? Mario kart wii / Super smash brothers melee / COD world at war / Another game thats better? And if so what game....
Mario Kart is a broken racing game.
Melee is good, if you got friends who also play
World at War: IF you got Internet Connection your good to go. Single Player is Epic with all those buildings that blow up and people flying around. Online is the best FPS online onn the wii, currently(sorry MoH but your hit detection sucks) .

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
You should get Super Paper Mario; it's one of my favourite games on the Wii.
Eledees, even though it is by Konami, is a fun game.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice

Very important.
You should get Super Paper Mario; it's one of my favourite games on the Wii.
Eledees, even though it is by Konami, is a fun game.
Erm...do the thread rules say anything about having 2 opposite opinions? i just returned to the original dilemma :p

marthsword

Smash Ace
I'm looking for some wii games. I know most of them don't have much depth, but I'm set on some that do. So you can figure out my taste, my current collection of games I really like is TP, Sonic Unleashed, Cooking Mama, Okami, and Animal Crossing. Some games I was thinking of getting were de blob, bully, super mario galaxy, wii fit, endless ocean, pikmin 2, and godzilla unleashed. If you could sort through these and tell me which ones are worthwhile, or recommend some others it would be greatly appreciated.

Sensai

Smash Master
de Blob is apparently a really cool game, as is Boom Blox (not on your list, but I'm throwing it out there anyways).

Super Mario Galaxy is a must, definitely. Pikmin 1/2, while not Wii games, are still magnificent gems and worth looking into.

Also, I'd recommend renting either Killer 7 and No More Heroes and seeing if you like them. They're both pretty good games, although they're a little...out there. See if you like 'em first.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking for some wii games. I know most of them don't have much depth, but I'm set on some that do. So you can figure out my taste, my current collection of games I really like is TP, Sonic Unleashed, Cooking Mama, Okami, and Animal Crossing. Some games I was thinking of getting were de blob, bully, super mario galaxy, wii fit, endless ocean, pikmin 2, and godzilla unleashed. If you could sort through these and tell me which ones are worthwhile, or recommend some others it would be greatly appreciated.
If u have ever played a Metroid game id suggest Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, I bought it the same day i bought TP and i liked them both.... also u simply CANNOT miss SMGalaxy.....Definetely try brawl, and although pikmin is one of my favourite franchises id suggest not to pick them right now but w8 until the rereleases on the wii... if they do get out wherever u live that is..... just saying that in case u leave in europe cause i do too and its not sure as of yet if they will release them over here.... also i havent played sonic unleashed myself (which i am considering to buy in a week or something) but some1 in this page told me a few posts earlier that if i liked sonic and the secret rings i should buy sonic unleashed so i guess that goes vice versa.... in addition id suggest wario land: shake dimension and finally note that in spring 2009 they will release a sequel to Sonic & the Secret Rings, called, Sonic & the Black Knight continuing the storybook series.....ill go for that one but i cant really recomend it unless i have played it so ill just leave u with this: consider it like i do but only after uve made sure that uve played and enjoyed sonic and the secret rings........

All these games should keep u busy at least until some new 1st parties are out, which hopefully will be coming by the june so i can play them in summer

i havent personally played endless ocean or wii fit but i think they lack a major video game factor, action. in endless ocean to imagine sharks do not even attack u :p

Frown

poekmon
If you

1. Are looking for a good multiplayer game for the Wii
2. Want your girlfriend to play video games

then buy Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
If you

1. Are looking for a good multiplayer game for the Wii
2. Want your girlfriend to play video games

then buy Boom Blox.
Fix'd. Though Wario Ware is a great option too, and cheap these days. Does Rayman: Raving Rabbits fill those two criteria aswell?

Zjiin

Smash Master
DS timewasters

So I recently started a job as a hotel desk clerk during graveyard shift hours (12am-8am) and it turns out that very few people come in during those hours. I decided to bring in my GBA and that made the time fly. I bought a DS with my first check and now i'm looking for good DS games that I won't beat in one shift. Right now, the only games i have are Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Final Fantasy Tactcis: A2. I already beat the hell out of castlevania and tactics is going pretty well, despite it being a "okay" game. (no where near the original) I also have my GBA FFVI as a backup to mix things up.

Can people help me out with finding good, entertaining games to keep myself awake with? I don't mind games that make you grind (i actually prefer it) and any game that would allow me to play people online would be awesome since the hotel provides me with wireless. I'm looking for really long games, but not "bad long" or "boring long". Online reviews are so mixed that I don't wanna chance buying a bad one.

[btw, i know i'm like 800 years behind with me JUST buying a DS now, lol]:laugh:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hm...

Well, I certainly know of a challenging game. Assuming you're not extremely good at arcade shooters, Nanostray should keep you busy for a while.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Hm...

Well, I certainly know of a challenging game. Assuming you're not extremely good at arcade shooters, Nanostray should keep you busy for a while.
I see that there is a sequel also out for it? Should i start with the first one? Also, is this an Ikaruga-type game?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This topic might've been more helpful if you asked on the what game should I get thread.

But I suppose the Phoenix Wright games would be good if you didn't mind a text based game. Plus, you shouldn't be able to beat it too quickly either.

Chrono Trigger's another good choice if you haven't played it on the SNES or PSone.

Zjiin

Smash Master
This topic might've been more helpful if you asked on the what game should I get thread.

But I suppose the Phoenix Wright games would be good if you didn't mind a text based game. Plus, you shouldn't be able to beat it too quickly either.

Chrono Trigger's another good choice if you haven't played it on the SNES or PSone.
Oh, I didn't even realize there might be one, good thing I'm a huge noob and didn't check.

Text based game? Am I going to end up pushing the A button liek amillion times to beat it, because i might fall alseep if so, lol. Also, i LOVE Chrono Trigger, but I've played it to death on the SNES and i hear it's pretty much an exact remake.

Thanks to all who are replying, it really helps.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Disgaia DS If you like SRPG's then get this game. It blows FFTA2 out of the water.
Lunar knights (if you can find it)
Final fantasy Tactics advance 2
Custom Robo Arena
Jump Ultimate Stars
The World Ends With You
Combined time i spent on those games is probably 700 plus houres.
I WANT CHRONO TRIGGER :urg:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Dude. Pokymans.
Dang you beat me to it. :(

Not kidding though, you will NOT catch all the Pokemon in the game in less than 3 months unless you are a complete no life... Which it sounds like ur not.

If catching Pokes isn't your thing, then you can try creating the "perfect team" that will own anyone in an online match, and that will take you a long while also, unless you cheat.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Text based game? Am I going to end up pushing the A button liek amillion times to beat it, because i might fall alseep if so, lol.[/COLOR]
You do press A alot, however you won't fall asleep as the story is brilliant. It's roughly 50/50 examining crime scenes, interviewing witnesses and talking with the prosecutor and policce and the rest arguing in court searching for that one contradiction of the witness that can blow the case wide open and save your client. There's four of them out there (well, 3 Pheonix Wright and one Apolo Justice) and they're definetly worth picking up.

If you like fighters and online you might look at importing Jump Super/Ultimate Stars. Think Smash but staring Manga characters, including One Piece, Naruto and Dragonball Z.

Mario Kart's another for good online.

Might also be interested in Animal Crossing, it's a pretty good 'grinding' game.

(Insert all FF games here)

Oh, and I know you said DS games, but try and snag Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga on GBA. IT's one of the best RPG's I've played. There's also a sequel on DS but it's very linear and nowhere as fun as the GBA one.

Sensai

Smash Master
Zjiin, you NEED Phoenix Wright. Seriously. It's a truly amazing series of games that almost everyone will love.

Other than that, there are the Final Fantasy games (3 and 4) and the newly released Chrono Trigger DS (assuming you haven't beaten it to death).

Kirby Superstar Deluxe (or whatever it's called on the DS). Really fantastic game.

Contra 4...:-D. You won't beat that game in one sitting, guaranteed.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Dang you beat me to it. :(

Not kidding though, you will NOT catch all the Pokemon in the game in less than 3 months unless you are a complete no life... Which it sounds like ur not.

If catching Pokes isn't your thing, then you can try creating the "perfect team" that will own anyone in an online match, and that will take you a long while also, unless you cheat.
Hmm, I was never hit by the pokemans fad due to how i'm a little older. Maybe if i run out of games to play, I'll try it out.

You do press A alot, however you won't fall asleep as the story is brilliant. It's roughly 50/50 examining crime scenes, interviewing witnesses and talking with the prosecutor and policce and the rest arguing in court searching for that one contradiction of the witness that can blow the case wide open and save your client. There's four of them out there (well, 3 Pheonix Wright and one Apolo Justice) and they're definetly worth picking up.

If you like fighters and online you might look at importing Jump Super/Ultimate Stars. Think Smash but staring Manga characters, including One Piece, Naruto and Dragonball Z.

Mario Kart's another for good online.

Might also be interested in Animal Crossing, it's a pretty good 'grinding' game.

(Insert all FF games here)

Oh, and I know you said DS games, but try and snag Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga on GBA. IT's one of the best RPG's I've played. There's also a sequel on DS but it's very linear and nowhere as fun as the GBA one.
Wow, that's a lot of good info. I was a little worried about Mario Kart losing it's appeal after a while. Also, i was big into the GC Animal Crossing but then i looked at my life and realized i could do better than stay up all night getting a furniture set complete, lol.

Zjiin, you NEED Phoenix Wright. Seriously. It's a truly amazing series of games that almost everyone will love.

Other than that, there are the Final Fantasy games (3 and 4) and the newly released Chrono Trigger DS (assuming you haven't beaten it to death).

Kirby Superstar Deluxe (or whatever it's called on the DS). Really fantastic game.

Contra 4...:-D. You won't beat that game in one sitting, guaranteed.
So if there are a lot of Pheonix Wright games out, should i just start with the earliest one? I'll prob pick up the FFs, but Chrono Trigger was too good not to beat to death over and over again haha. Eddie told me Contra is ridic hard.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
So I recently started a job as a hotel desk clerk during graveyard shift hours (12am-8am) and it turns out that very few people come in during those hours. I decided to bring in my GBA and that made the time fly. I bought a DS with my first check and now i'm looking for good DS games that I won't beat in one shift. Right now, the only games i have are Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Final Fantasy Tactcis: A2. I already beat the hell out of castlevania and tactics is going pretty well, despite it being a "okay" game. (no where near the original) I also have my GBA FFVI as a backup to mix things up.

Can people help me out with finding good, entertaining games to keep myself awake with? I don't mind games that make you grind (i actually prefer it) and any game that would allow me to play people online would be awesome since the hotel provides me with wireless. I'm looking for really long games, but not "bad long" or "boring long". Online reviews are so mixed that I don't wanna chance buying a bad one.

[btw, i know i'm like 800 years behind with me JUST buying a DS now, lol]:laugh:
erm.... if u could access a TV or something id recomend getting a wii.... what im saying is that personally i believe portable games just arent as fun, have worse graphics..... You could get a small cheap TV, just enough to show the games (besides the wii isnt that advances hard-ware wise as other current-gen consoles) and get some good games..... if u can do this one here is a list of my own wii games which i believe would keep u busy for a while:

If u are much the type who tries to complete them 100%:

-Sonic and the Secret Rings
-Wario Land: Shake Dimension
-Mario Kart Wii
-Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (That's if you clear with minimum 3 characters)
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (100% Item & Scans that is, also it's a good shooter, I recomend this one out of the entire list)

If ur just doin story mode:

-DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-Super Mario Galaxy

AND finally Super Smash Bros Brawl will provide:

-Quite much to do if ur aiming 100% (many trophies, events, stickers, tourneys and like mario kart wii there is always possibility for new records)
-If u have friends who play it u can play on the net

The reason i posted about wii games instead of DS-GBA ones is because i personally dont play any DS games (except the pokemon ones) and i believe that if uve liked some portable ones ull definetely LOVE Wii.... again provided u can access a TV, though if u get a small one u can just put it on a cable and on ur desk, without using much space.... unplugging and packing both the TV and the Wii shouldnt take more than 10 mins anyways

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow, that's a lot of good info. I was a little worried about Mario Kart losing it's appeal after a while. Also, i was big into the GC Animal Crossing but then i looked at my life and realized i could do better than stay up all night getting a furniture set complete, lol.[
Well if you've got nothing better to do... ;) Plus it's got online, so you could find people online at the same time you would be and organize times to check each others towns.

So if there are a lot of Pheonix Wright games out, should i just start with the earliest one?
I would suggest so, yeah. There are a few minor story parts that carry over that you wouldn't understand until you've played the first one, though you won't be too confused if you can't get a hold of it (though personally I'd still try and get the first before playing the others, but that's just me XD)

Zjiin

Smash Master
erm.... if u could access a TV or something id recomend getting a wii.... what im saying is that personally i believe portable games just arent as fun, have worse graphics..... You could get a small cheap TV, just enough to show the games (besides the wii isnt that advances hard-ware wise as other current-gen consoles) and get some good games..... if u can do this one here is a list of my own wii games which i believe would keep u busy for a while:

If u are much the type who tries to complete them 100%:

-Sonic and the Secret Rings
-Wario Land: Shake Dimension
-Mario Kart Wii
-Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (That's if you clear with minimum 3 characters)
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (100% Item & Scans that is, also it's a good shooter, I recomend this one out of the entire list)

If ur just doin story mode:

-DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-Super Mario Galaxy

AND finally Super Smash Bros Brawl will provide:

-Quite much to do if ur aiming 100% (many trophies, events, stickers, tourneys and like mario kart wii there is always possibility for new records)
-If u have friends who play it u can play on the net

The reason i posted about wii games instead of DS-GBA ones is because i personally dont play any DS games (except the pokemon ones) and i believe that if uve liked some portable ones ull definetely LOVE Wii.... again provided u can access a TV, though if u get a small one u can just put it on a cable and on ur desk, without using much space.... unplugging and packing both the TV and the Wii shouldnt take more than 10 mins anyways
LOL

The Wii is a piece of junk. I sold mine to some sucker for $300 bucks. Seriously, Nintendo's worst system.

Sensai

Smash Master
in b4 flame war

Also, yes, you should start with the first Phoenix Wright, as there are some minor plot points (specifically the characters) that carry over through the entire series.

If you're like me, you'll start playing for the good puzzles, keep playing for the difficulty, and fall in love for the characters/personality/writing.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

You mention grinding games...which the DS is actually full of, even if nobody plays them. If you're looking for games which are so chock-full of "artifical" content that it's not even funny, then I highly recommend:

1. Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns
2. Disgaea DS
3. Etrian Oddyssey II
4. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
5. Shiren the Wanderer

In that order. All of those games are also pretty challenging, but not in a cheap way. More in a "if you die, just power level more, then try again" kind of way.

Anyways.

Like Mic said, if you're going to pick up the Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright games, you really should start with the first one. And then the second. The final game in the Phoenix Wright trilogy has one of the best endings in videogame history...but only if you've played through the first two games before playing it.

I'd also like to throw in that each of those games takes around 10-15 hours to beat. They're still super-fun and engaging games, but if you're looking for a real long experience, look elsewhere.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Since you like Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd recommend Advance Wars DS or Days of Ruin.
The Advance Wars series are fantastic challenging games that should keep you going for a long time, personally I prefer DS over Days of Ruin because choosing CO's actually makes a big difference, in Days of Ruin is doesn't really matter who you pick.

-Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Has to be the worst game I've played so far on the Wii.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Since you like Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd recommend Advance Wars DS or Days of Ruin.
The Advance Wars series are fantastic challenging games that should keep you going for a long time, personally I prefer DS over Days of Ruin because choosing CO's actually makes a big difference, in Days of Ruin is doesn't really matter who you pick.
Yeah, i've heard good things about both of those. Thanks!

=============================================

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and i'm sure to have a nice long list of games i can purchase by now. Now... Imma get to gaming.;)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I see that there is a sequel also out for it? Should i start with the first one? Also, is this an Ikaruga-type game?
I think there is a sequel. I know they've announced one, but I'm not sure if it's out yet. There's no actual storyline (pretty much 'okay go pick a ship and blow stuff up'), so you could start with either.

It's like Ikaruga, but without the Black/White thing. Same style of gameplay.

Of course, if that's not your thing...

Pokemon or Phoenix Wright.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
LOL

The Wii is a piece of junk. I sold mine to some sucker for $300 bucks. Seriously, Nintendo's worst system.
Perhaps uve only played games like Wii sports or something?

First of all even if u dont like Wii games it still plays cube games so its as good as the cube + something so it just cannot be the worst system

Secondly i too dislike wii sports and even sport games in general including tony hawks downhill jam (i only posted it because it IS actually a ame that would keep u busy for a while) BUT nintendo has made extremely good use of the remote..... they made metroid prime 3 a top shooter with a nice story line and many thingys to collect efore u finish it

In conclusion u may not wanna buy wii again after all but i have to tell u that i completely disagree with u..... play more kind of games before u judge a console..... and if u did, i dont have anything else to say.....just that its so dissapointing that there are people who see the wii this way.....especially since following nintendo consoles will propably be constructed this way as well so ur propably have to stick with portables anyways

Zjiin

Smash Master
Perhaps uve only played games like Wii sports or something?

First of all even if u dont like Wii games it still plays cube games so its as good as the cube + something so it just cannot be the worst system

Secondly i too dislike wii sports and even sport games in general including tony hawks downhill jam (i only posted it because it IS actually a ame that would keep u busy for a while) BUT nintendo has made extremely good use of the remote..... they made metroid prime 3 a top shooter with a nice story line and many thingys to collect efore u finish it

In conclusion u may not wanna buy wii again after all but i have to tell u that i completely disagree with u..... play more kind of games before u judge a console..... and if u did, i dont have anything else to say.....just that its so dissapointing that there are people who see the wii this way.....especially since following nintendo consoles will propably be constructed this way as well so ur propably have to stick with portables anyways
*sigh*

First off, Wii sports was probably the most fun and only reasonable motion-sensor worthy game ever made for that system save MP3. I had a LOT of games for it because i kept giving it a chance like a moron. I've had the system since release date and i've had Brawl since japanese release and my view on it just got worse and worse. It's Nintendo's kiddie system just to grab the attention of the "non video gaming" demographic. It's a gimick and it's a bad one too. Aside from metroid and maybe like 2 others, they can't seem to make a game work well with their horrible motion controls.

If you want a real Nintendo system, go buy a SNES. If you want watered down games with a joke system that can't even handle decent wifi, then have fun waving your arms around.

[EDIT] I will not discuss any more of this topic in this thread.

Top Bottom