• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@GigaKoopa: I have always wanted to play the original FFT. I've played FFTA and its sequel, I reccomend both of those. Tactics is an immensely deep and fun strategy series, you change classe and master abilities so you can retain them when you change a class. One could be a Ninja but have full access to Illusionist abilities (using my knowledge of FFTA and FFTA2, not so sure of classes in FFT. Sorry.). But I've never heard a bad thing about the original, so I'd give it a try--I'd love to, I'll have to go on ebay someday.
You'll be surprised by the original. Not only is it much much much harder, but it's also a lot less focused on grinding and improving/managing your clan, and much more focused on the deeper, more poignant plot.

If you have access to a PSP, pick up the modernized remake of it instead.

@Chief Mendez: So what's your opinion of the best FF ever. I absolutely loved VI, myself.
My favorite Final Fantasy is IX, but only the first 2 and 1/2 discs and the ending cinema/credits.

...I know that sounds kind of strange, but I really loved that game up until it devolved into the heaping pile of metaphysical, angst-filled bullsh*t that Square liked to make out of Final Fantasy after VI and Tactics.

The ending was perfect though.

Anyways, if that's a bit too esoteric for ya', then I'd go with VI. I would kill for a DS remake of that game, along the lines of FFIV DS.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
You'll be surprised by the original. Not only is it much much much harder, but it's also a lot less focused on grinding and improving/managing your clan, and much more focused on the deeper, more poignant plot.

If you have access to a PSP, pick up the modernized remake of it instead.

My favorite Final Fantasy is IX, but only the first 2 and 1/2 discs and the ending cinema/credits.

...I know that sounds kind of strange, but I really loved that game up until it devolved into the heaping pile of metaphysical, angst-filled bullsh*t that Square liked to make out of Final Fantasy after VI and Tactics.

The ending was perfect though.

Anyways, if that's a bit too esoteric for ya', then I'd go with VI. I would kill for a DS remake of that game, along the lines of FFIV DS.
I never knew the original was harder, I just sort of figured. While the plots of FFTA's were nice, they were lite and you had to be really creative to imagine what else was going on. Those plots weren't bad, just sort of swift and cryptic. I wasn't aware FFT had a very deep plot, though, thanks for telling me.

I know what you mean about angst-festivals in Final Fantasies. VII was fine, I haven't touched any after it, though, so I can't say too much on the ones after VII. But I've read about some of them, the plots didn't stick to me so well as to something like VI or others.

A DS version of FFVI would be pretty amazing, although I'm fine with the GBA version for now. While Soul Shrine was just sort of a battle marathon, I found Dragon's Den to be a great addition. I loved splitting up in three different parties, although I had to level up around and in that place (members not being used in my main party were high 30's, low 40's). I think FFVI had some angst, but not in the bad sense. When I first experienced Celes' cliff moment, I was still in my single digits--I almost cried. Even now, being sixteen, when I see her leap it still makes me wonder sometimes if she'll make it, and if she does, what's going to happen?

But Chrono Trigger for DS is good for me right now. That, and Disgaea. I've yet to try that? I've only read a vague description of it somewhere...can someone inform me of what it exactly is? I know some things: it's a strategy, and you can level insanely.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
That, and Disgaea. I've yet to try that? I've only read a vague description of it somewhere...can someone inform me of what it exactly is? I know some things: it's a strategy, and you can level insanely.
My best save game (I think I have, like, five. Spread out over three separate memory cards) currently has characters that are O-so-close to level 10,000.

Let that sink in.

Level 10,000.

I think I might have a character at that point, but if I do, it's probably one of the main characters, which I stopped using for various reasons a year or so ago. Most of my current party is Disgaea 2 is somewhere just above 9,500. I've logged, collectively, over 500 hours between Disgaea and Disgaea 2.

When Disgaea DS comes out, I'm going to die of starvation. :chuckle:

Anyway, the game is basically your standad jRPG plot a sickly demented parody of every jRPG you've ever played. It's got wacky characters, wacky locations, wacky attacks, and a bag of chips. I'm not kidding about that last one, either.

Though I'll warn you now: the entire game is nothing but battles. Aside from the ocassional break to organize your party, that's all you'll be doing. But it's so amazingly complex that you'll literally never get bored with it.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
*Blinks*

That just blew my mind. I have nothing to say, except thanks once again for informing me of it.

...I mean I'm really blown away now! I have to stop reading so many good posts by people on this forum (although this is admittedly the first one I've replied to.) Thank you again for telling me about it though. Definite buy along with Trigger. I had no idea Disgaea was that engrossing!

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Chief Mendez, GigaKoopa: I wasn't saying that the GC one was harder than the Wii one, what I was saying is that, for people who are used to traditional, Japanese style RPGs (see Final Fantasy), tactical RPGs can be a little rough.

@ GigaKoopa, Time Smash: the original FFT is much harder than FFT:A and also much more...I dunno, adult oriented. It's not nearly as childish, instead focusing on a grand epic story about war and betrayal. Worth the money if you can at all afford to get it.

About Disgaea: it's ok...but it's a little TOO JRPG for me. Too much grinding, too much stats boosting, etc. Although, you really can't beat the replay value or the simple LONGNESS of it all.

About Final Fantasy: the best FF game is hands down VIII, without a doubt. It took everything that VII did well and perfected it. The only problem is...there's so much going on, meaning there are about 1209381023821 tutorials in the first 30 minutes of the game.

How come I don't have any points?! HOW'D YOU GET POINTS?! MY POINTS!

[Edit:]

Bah, I leave this board for a few days and I'm losing points.../grumble

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I've been embezzling points from your Swiss bank accounts for the past few weeks. :chuckle:

Which means...you only had one point anyways...?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well, usually with Fire Emblem, this isn't an issue, as almost all of them are self-contained stories, often in entirely different worlds.
so you are saying it's plot are similar to those of FF in terms of self-containment? well that's good to hear since i'm a used to starting of a sequel with new characters, though it wouldn't hurt to have previously shown characters make at least a cameo. oh wait...

I only say play FE on the GBA first because it's got a really good introductory/tutorial plotline that was basically made for us English Pig-dogs who hadn't grown up with the series.
oh, I see, well even though I not a typical fan of handhelds, I will surely give it a try in seeing I am very unfamiliar with the FE system, also might all FE games use a certain system in there games?

No, Marth is the lord in FE1 and FE3, both Japan-only (until the DS remake of FE1 comes out, that is).

And Roy is the lord of FE6, which is the first GBA game, but Japan-only. His game is actually the sequel to FE7, which is just called "Fire Emblem" here in the West.
FE1? that was the first FE right? so I assume Marth is the Original Lord of FE, also you mentioned FE7 is the sequel to FE6, so does Roy make some kind of Cameo appearance? whatever the case, I will surely get it for GBA.

I think Sensai just might be not-so-amazingly-good at Fire Emblem games. The Wii FE is definitely tougher than the GCN one.

And no, they're not different versions. Path of Radiance (FE9) is the Gamecube game. Radiant Dawn (FE10) is the Wii game, which is the sequel to FE9.
hmm.. so Sensai probably just has difficulty with the game huh :laugh:, well since I own a Wii and seeing I play with it the most I will most likely get the Wii version of it, hmm.. you say it's tougher on Wii? that's good to hear, you wouldn't happen to be bad at the Wii version ;)

FFXII is, in my opinion, an okay game.
It's not the best FF ever, and there are a number of problems with it, but it's certainly unique, and definitely worth the money in any case. :)[/QUOTE]

well I only considered it since I heard good reviews from it, but now that FF Tactics has also been recommended, I don't know what to choose hmm....

@GigaKoopa: I have always wanted to play the original FFT. I've played FFTA and its sequel, I reccomend both of those. Tactics is an immensely deep and fun strategy series, you change classe and master abilities so you can retain them when you change a class. One could be a Ninja but have full access to Illusionist abilities (using my knowledge of FFTA and FFTA2, not so sure of classes in FFT. Sorry.). But I've never heard a bad thing about the original, so I'd give it a try--I'd love to, I'll have to go on ebay someday.

@ GigaKoopa, Time Smash: the original FFT is much harder than FFT:A and also much more...I dunno, adult oriented. It's not nearly as childish, instead focusing on a grand epic story about war and betrayal. Worth the money if you can at all afford to get it.
@Sensai: so you say FFT for PS1 is much harder huh, you know it's funny because usually the original games are always harder for some weird reason and the sequels are apparently scaled down in terms of difficulty, take Kingdom Hearts for example, it was much harder then it's sequel which I found dissapointing because I expected it to be harder, yet it was easier pshh....

@TimeSmash: even though FFTA is probably much easier then it's predessasor, I am interested enough just to so it's changes, deep stategie has also been my good point in games so I will surely consider it :)

@Chief Mendez: So what's your opinion of the best FF ever. I absolutely loved VI, myself.
well I would say Final Fantasy VII had a good plot as well as X which was alright, but overall the original Final Fantasy wins, no doubt.

@ Chief Mendez, GigaKoopa: I wasn't saying that the GC one was harder than the Wii one, what I was saying is that, for people who are used to traditional, Japanese style RPGs (see Final Fantasy), tactical RPGs can be a little rough.
ah, no worries, I was kinda puzzled for a minute there, but see I this has been cleared out for me., and I am qiute familiar with FF's tactical style, but I also like a good challenge so it's all good. :)

About Final Fantasy: the best FF game is hands down VIII, without a doubt. It took everything that VII did well and perfected it. The only problem is...there's so much going on, meaning there are about 1209381023821 tutorials in the first 30 minutes of the game.
is this so? well then now I have to choose between FF Tactics and FFVII :chuckle:

might you recommend I get first? I am simply dying to get either one of these.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ GigaKoopa: Mind you, I said Final Fantasy VIII (8, eight), not VII. Although 7 is good, it just hasn't held up well enough to justify playing it unless you know _why_ you're playing it (Aeris, Sephiroth, evolution of the 3d RPG, etc). 8, though, is amazing.

As to which you should get first, FFT or 8...I dunno. If you're into the whole strategy RPG thing, I'd suggest FFT. If you prefer a more traditional RPG, go with 8. If you're in it for the story, you'd be hard-pressed to do wrong (although I'd recommend FFT over 8).

I dunno. IMO, FFT is the best Final Fantasy there is (I assumed the earlier question was about the numerical ones), bar none.

Also, forgot to say:

**** ****, someone hacked into my Swiss bank account, created it, put 1 point in and then let you steal it!

****!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
When I heard a little about FFTA, I knew people thought it to be more lite, I didn't know it was more adult.
So FFT has more story in the game, rather than conjecture I have to think of myself for the FFTA's. I liked both of the supporting females (Ritz in FFTA, Adelle in A2) more than the main characters of either FFTA, so I'm interested to see that--if I pick up FFT--this'll still hold true. =p

I have heard a lot about FFVIII these days, in fact I just saw a Youtube video (20 Years of Video Game Music) with a lot of VIII in it. I've read many views on it, but not so much upon the game itself, only tidbits (Squall, Riona, Ultimecia, battle system basics) I'm not so good with FF's after VII.

I wish I earned more than minimum wage, then I could at least try and pick up some more things I haven't tried out yet.

Sensai

Smash Master
Attention: Super Mario RPG was released on the Virtual Console today. If you haven't played it or do not own a copy of it, I recommend that you purchase it immediately. A funny script and lovable characters make this game superb and almost untouchable as far as SNES games go (excluding the obvious exceptions, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc).

As the lovable and one-point-higher-than-me-for-some-weird-reason Chief Mendez points out, this game is in no way hard at all. It's an incredibly easy RPG, bordering on easy game all around. It's not made for people who play Disgaea to endless amounts (and there's nothing wrong with that) to level up and beat the baddies.

That being said, the soundtrack really is amazing regardless of difficulty.

Either way though, it's definitely worth 8 dollars, IMO. Me and Chief Mendez seem to disagree, but it's always good to have more than one opinion.

Bottom line, though, and I'm pretty sure that even Chief Mendez will agree:

There are worse ways to spend 8 bucks.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Attention: Super Mario RPG was released on the Virtual Console today. If you haven't played it or do not own a copy of it, I recommend that you purchase it immediately. A funny script and lovable characters make this game superb and almost untouchable as far as SNES games go (excluding the obvious exceptions, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc).
You take the high road, and I'll take the low...

I would generally not recommend spending eight bucks on this game. There are better RPGs already on the Virtual Console you could spend your Wii Points on (Breath of Fire, Shining Force, Y's I & II, Landstalker, Phantasy Star), rather than SMRPG.

For starters, there isn't much of a plot. Mario tries to rescue the kidnapped Princess. Bad guys show up and stop him. Mario wanders the world for seven stars that will defeat the bad guys. Mario kills all the evil bad guys with his friends. Everyone lives happily ever after. The End.

Couple that with the ridiculously easy gameplay, and you have what I like to call "RPG lite". Basically, if you're a learned RPG fan, don't bother: there's nothing here you haven't seen before, and you'll bowl through the game in about ten or fifteen hours, never in serious danger of dying.

The only reason you should buy this game is either:

A) For the rather good soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura (who also did the Kingdom Hearts music)

B) You're curious, and never got a chance to play the game when it was around.

If those don't apply to you, there are other options. As stated above, there are already a slew of better RPGs on the VC, and if you crave Mario RPGs, pick up Superstar Saga or (to a lesser extent) Brothers in Time. Heck, even Paper Mario would be a better choice.

derv

Smash Apprentice
FE1? that was the first FE right? so I assume Marth is the Original Lord of FE, also you mentioned FE7 is the sequel to FE6, so does Roy make some kind of Cameo appearance? whatever the case, I will surely get it for GBA.
you see roy's portrait as an oldish man with a mustache in this, but thats the only bit he's in

this isnt really a spoiler but i'll put it in spoilers to be safe

Roy is the father of the main character

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
you see roy's portrait as an oldish man with a mustache in this, but thats the only bit he's in

this isnt really a spoiler but i'll put it in spoilers to be safe

Roy is the father of the main character
Actually, that's backwards. Eliwood (the main character of FE7) is the father of Roy. Roy appears (as a little kid) in the ending cutscene of FE7, to boot.
Fixed. :chuckle:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I've been at lost for another game to get for my DS. Still have the fat, but that doesn't matter.

I've got the big ones, like SM64DS and Pokemon Diamond. Any other suggestions?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I've been at lost for another game to get for my DS. Still have the fat, but that doesn't matter.

I've got the big ones, like SM64DS and Pokemon Diamond. Any other suggestions?
Well...is that it?

...Sure, but that leaves a lot for you to catch up on.

...In fact, it's so much so that I'd rather just let this NeoGAF thread do my recommending for me. Anything on there is a great buy, and totally worth it.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Well...is that it?

...Sure, but that leaves a lot for you to catch up on.
I have others... that really aren't good, and aren't worth selling.

...In fact, it's so much so that I'd rather just let this NeoGAF thread do my recommending for me. Anything on there is a great buy, and totally worth it.
Thanks a lot. This will really help.

OmegaXXII

@ GigaKoopa: Mind you, I said Final Fantasy VIII (8, eight), not VII. Although 7 is good, it just hasn't held up well enough to justify playing it unless you know _why_ you're playing it (Aeris, Sephiroth, evolution of the 3d RPG, etc). 8, though, is amazing.

As to which you should get first, FFT or 8...I dunno. If you're into the whole strategy RPG thing, I'd suggest FFT. If you prefer a more traditional RPG, go with 8. If you're in it for the story, you'd be hard-pressed to do wrong (although I'd recommend FFT over 8).

I dunno. IMO, FFT is the best Final Fantasy there is (I assumed the earlier question was about the numerical ones), bar none.

whoops, my bad I actually meant FF VIII, silly me :laugh:

but yea, to settle my FF fandom, I decided I will get both, though I will try out FFT first since it's seems more interesting as it's a game involving strategy.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Try Mario Kart DS... it's a very good game, that is if you don't already have it....

Try Yoshi's Island DS.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I'm thinkin about getting a 360 but the one with the price drop is the Xbox 360 Arcade Console. What's the difference between that and a regular 360 besides the size of the hard drive?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I'm thinking about getting a PSP. I know I'll want God of War and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2. Yeah, I like Naruto. LOL IT'S TOTALLY GAY. There, I did it for you.

Anyway.

These two games aren't enough to convince me to drop a buck fifty on the handheld. So my question to you is.

What other games are out there to justify a PSP? I don't want Crisis Core or Tactics, and Megaman would take some convincing. I also love fighting games.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm thinkin about getting a 360 but the one with the price drop is the Xbox 360 Arcade Console. What's the difference between that and a regular 360 besides the size of the hard drive?
The 200$ Arcade only has a 256MB Memory Unit included, rather than the big hard-drives that the other SKUs have.

Which, frankly, is more space than you're likely to need if you only plan on buying it for the games (which is a good idea that I totally recommend, because the 360's got a lot going for it in that area). But if you plan on downloading more than a few Xbox Live Marketplace games, or want to do the whole NetFlix thing, then you're going to want to go with the 280$ version.

But at 200$, it's a steal.

SymphonyX said:
What other games are out there to justify a PSP? I don't want Crisis Core or Tactics, and Megaman would take some convincing. I also love fighting games.
LOL NARUTO'S TOTALLY GAY

Crisis Core is actually pretty good...

But anyway, besides those you mentioned? Fighting games in particular...

Guilty Gear Judgment is a repackaged version of XX Slash, with a neat little side-scrolling beat em' up thrown in for good measure. Then there's the ineffable Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX. There's also Darkstalkers Chronicles, another pretty solid 2D fighter. And Tekken (though it's not my personal cup of tea).

But really, the best reason to buy a PSP for any fighting game fan is Power Stone Collection. They're amazingly fun 3D free-for-alls, in the vein of Smash Bros., actually (just without the brand-name characters).

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Symphony X: Also, the PSP is, as far as I can tell, one of the best pieces of hardware for modding/hacking/homebrewing. It really is some kind of godsend in this area.

OmegaXXII

well if your going to get a PSP which I suggest you do then you should definetly get Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, trust me it PWNS! not to mention it has extra characters that the original didn't, it's a must for fighting fans, Tekken 5 is also another game I recommend, speaking of fighting games if your into Final Fantasy you'll loveFINAL FANTASY DIDDIA fighting game which will also come out soon, this is actually my reason my I got PSP in the first place.

ALSO: how much do have to stress this out, NARUTO DOES NOT SUCK!, sure it may not be the best anime but that's your opinion.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Naruto does suck.
But thats to be saved for another topic....

Anyway, Dissidia,not Diddia <_<

Ok I habe 35 dollars, what to get?
I was thinking a Wii Card...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Hello thread.
CS or CSS?
...Huh?

Dissidia may or may not be good. Sure, it looks pretty, but let's look at this logically. Can you name a single fighting game Square has made?

...That is, a single GOOD fighting game they've made? I don't know about you, but anticipating a fighting game from the company that brought us crap like Ehrgeiz and Bushido Blade seems quite suspect to me...:dizzy:

EDIT - 35$ can snag you a copy of most DS games. So if you haven't already, pick something from this list and get to it. They're all better than VC games, anyway.

Sensai

Smash Master
<3 Phoenix Wright...ah.../looks into the setting sun, whistfully

@ Vulcan: I assume you're talking about Counter Strike or CS: Source, yes? Um...CS is much more competitive based than CS:S. But, CS:S is more physics driven.

The analogy is like this:

CS : CS: Source ----> Melee : Brawl.

Personally, I'd recommend you drop both and just pick up the Orange Box.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
CS: Source is very good. I'd recommend that one. Sensai's Brawl analogy is fair, only that there's not all that much that's bad about CS: Source that's noticable unless you're a jaded, seasoned veteran (and I'm assuming you're not, otherwise you'd have no need to ask). Just that there's a lot of anti-brawl sentiment about, I wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression of CSS.

And yes, orange box. Forever orange box. Now if only my 360 wasn't brick =/

So, which hockey game do I get? NHL 09 with it's awesome dual-stick driven gameplay or the arcade style NHL 2k9?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
2K9. When I do happen to play sports games, I find SEGA Sports to be a much better pick, in general. Though I really can't say, because I've never played either of those. Also I just prefer the arcadey style to the more simulated experience. But that's just me.

And I've played Counter Strike a few times. Based on that (too...many...porn...sprays...), I'd say buy the Orange Box and get to TF2 instead.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Apparently it's buggy as all hell on the PS3, so if you can pick it up on the PC or 360 instead, do that instead.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Yeah, I meant Counter-strike.
I already have TF2 also.
I was thinking about CS because I like older games, and I know some people who play it.
Not CSS, though.

Sensai

Smash Master
CS: Source is very good. I'd recommend that one. Sensai's Brawl analogy is fair, only that there's not all that much that's bad about CS: Source that's noticable unless you're a jaded, seasoned veteran (and I'm assuming you're not, otherwise you'd have no need to ask). Just that there's a lot of anti-brawl sentiment about, I wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression of CSS.
Jeah, he's right. Sorry, I forgot that it wouldn't make much of a difference since you haven't played CS before. I mean, they're both good, but CS is much more competitive whereas Source...well, isn't. [Edit:] And by competitive, I mean like CAL level gaming. They're both competitive as far as you'll have trouble being the best, but for play on the level that we play Smash, you want the original CS.

But, they're good games filled with people regardless.

@ The Executive: Try to avoid it on the PS3 if you can as it's hella buggy. The PC version is probably the best, followed by the 360. Definitely attempt to get the PC version if you can.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
im getting a 360 soon (in about 2 days) and ill have $40 dollars to get a game(s). whatwould you guys recomend.. ive ad my eyes on sonic the hedgehog 06 but i mite save another 20 to get gta4 what should i do?

Top Bottom