• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
I just got the Wii not even 2 weeks ago, And i already have smash along with it.
Theses games are ones that interest me:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Medal OF Honor 2 With online gameplay
3. No More Heros

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I just got the Wii not even 2 weeks ago, And i already have smash along with it.
Theses games are ones that interest me:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Medal OF Honor 2 With online gameplay
3. No More Heroes
Ghost Squad and Red Steel (only if you can find it for less than twenty bucks, because that's only what it's worth) should be right up your alley then.

Eh...I see your Mario Galaxy and raise you Okami. And if you enjoyed NMH, Resident Evil 4 would be a logical next step, unless you've already played one of the earlier versions.

Sensai

Smash Master
Definitely get No More Heroes and Galaxy.

I'd also like to suggest Okami and Twilight Princess. ALSO, if you don't already have it, get Resident Evil 4. Lastly, don't forget to get Zack and Wiki if you're into puzzle games (you can get it for LESS than 10 bucks at Toys R Us now).

@ T Mac: +1 for Wario Land: Shake It! That game looks fookin' great.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I have all three Phoenix Wright games and like them all a lot. Should I consider getting Apollo Justice, or are there too many plotholes? Is it worth it?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Symphony X: I'd say GH4, but that's just my impression so far. I thought RB1 was way better than GH3, but the feature list of GH4 seems like it'll blow RB2 out of the water.

Alternatively, buy neither--get a DS and Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan 1 and 2 instead.

127crazie: If you liked (and finished) the previous Ace Attorneys, then definitely pick up number 4. I really can't think of any plotholes...

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
I know that the Wii has limited RPG games, but are there any RPG games out there that are really good? I was thinking of buying Super Paper Mario because I loved the previous Paper Mario games, but I decided to try new and different RPGs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I know that the Wii has limited RPG games, but are there any RPG games out there that are really good? I was thinking of buying Super Paper Mario because I loved the previous Paper Mario games, but I decided to try new and different RPGs.

Anyone have any thoughts?
RPGs have been few and far between for Wii gamers so far. The DS is a MUCH Better shot if you want a good JRPG.

That said, you can try Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (I've heard it's surprisingly good), Dragon Quest Swords (shallow but fun), Baroque, Opoona (sorta meh), or give a Breath of Fire or Shining Force Virtual Console game a download.

Sensai

Smash Master
The Wii RPG front is mainly composed of Roguelikes...meaning, really hardcore RPGs. Chocobo's Dungeon and Shiren the Wanderer III come to mind.

@ guy wondering about Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 4: I'm going with RB2 first, simply because it's the guys who originally came up with the Guitar Hero thing...that, and they do DLC right, unlike the ****ty way GH3 does it.

@ 127crazie: This question was made for me, thank you. Actually, I'm not going to go into much detail unless you feel like you wanna know, but basically it boils down to this:

If you're playing the Ace Attorney games for the plot and for the characters, I'd say it's really hit or miss. I didn't like it as much as the first three 'cause there were, at most, 6 characters that returned from previous games (most of the characters are not even mentioned or only in passing without names (
Mia and Maya are in passing, most others are completely ignored
) nor are any of the loopholes from the previous games tied up at all.

If you are playing the game because you absolutely HAVE to know what happens to Phoenix, get the game (this is how I was; I loved the characters, which is why I got the game and my biggest dissapointment with it, as noted above). If you're playing it because you wanna know what happens to [insert character here], you might as well forget it. They're probably not mentioned.

If you're playing the games because you like the gameplay (looking for contradictions, finding clues in the dialogue and the scenes) then get it. It's more of exactly the same from the previous games.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If you're playing the Ace Attorney games for the plot and for the characters, I'd say it's really hit or miss. I didn't like it as much as the first three 'cause there were, at most, 6 characters that returned from previous games (most of the characters are not even mentioned or only in passing without names (
Mia and Maya are in passing, most others are completely ignored
) nor are any of the loopholes from the previous games tied up at all.

If you are playing the game because you absolutely HAVE to know what happens to Phoenix, get the game (this is how I was; I loved the characters, which is why I got the game and my biggest dissapointment with it, as noted above). If you're playing it because you wanna know what happens to [insert character here], you might as well forget it. They're probably not mentioned.
Well. Ace Attorney 5 will almost definitely star Apollo again, so if you liked Phoenix's games, and want more of the same, then you'll have to buy AA4 to follow the series.

I mean, when we first picked up Phoenix Wright, we weren't in it for the characters, were we?

I faced this issue too when I picked up AA4--all the characters I'd grown to love/hate so much over the past three games were quite suddenly replaced. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

Anyway, my point is that any AA fan should play Apollo Justice. You'll warm up to the characters, and things will be great.

I mean, Sensai, you still enjoyed the game, right? It wasn't like the Phantom Menace, where the total exclusion of your favorite characters coupled with a plain ol' bad movie to make you never want to see another Star Wars movie, was it? :(

Sensai

Smash Master
Chief Mendez said:
I mean, Sensai, you still enjoyed the game, right? It wasn't like the Phantom Menace, where the total exclusion of your favorite characters coupled with a plain ol' bad movie to make you never want to see another Star Wars movie, was it? :(
Haha, sounds like someone has a love/hate relationship with a certain series of movies.

I enjoyed the game alright...but I was honestly a little tired of the gameplay mechanics by this point and I did it simply to see how Phoenix made out (especially after that really 'we're going to leave you this massive cliffhanger' of a first episode).

So, like I said: if you're not tired of the gameplay yet and are willing to learn a lot of new characters, by all means, get it.

Also: the fifth Ace Attorney game, or at least another Ace Attorney game, is starring Edgeworth and Gumshoe. I don't think it's the 5th one (nor do I think it's even called Ace Attorney now that I think about it), but I'm really excited about it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"Turnabot Prosecutor", is the prototype title for now, I think. Yeah, it looks awesome. But I'm also pretty sure it's not the actual AA5.

And I know what you mean about the series wearing on you. It's been that way for me since the 2nd game, so since then I've waited to buy the games when Amazon features them in their weekend sales. I got AA4 for 12$, which probably makes the pill easier to swallow.

Sensai

Smash Master
A choice between these games...

Pokemon Emerald (I don't have a DS)
Donkey Kong 64
TLOZ Orcarina of Time
TLOZ Majora's Mask
If you've played a Pokemon game:

Ocarina
Majora's Mask
DK 64
Emerald

If you HAVEN'T played a Pokemon game:

Ocarina
Majora's Mask
Emerald
DK 64

I think you see my point, but just to solidify it: Ocarina of Time is considered one of, if not _the_ best game of all time...that should the game you get unless you've played it to death already or you just hate Zelda. :-/

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
Well i got Medal Of honor 2 and i must say the online is pretty cool but the campain is just..... Wow. Overall id give it a 7 only becasue of the online. Anyways RE4 seems to be next on my list, but what about #5? Which one is more worth getting?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well i got Medal Of honor 2 and i must say the online is pretty cool but the campain is just..... Wow. Overall id give it a 7 only becasue of the online. Anyways RE4 seems to be next on my list, but what about #5? Which one is more worth getting?
I'm slightly confused. Maybe a little more explanation might help?

I seem to remember you only asking about three games, so I don't see where "#5"comes in...

Sensai

Smash Master
Are you referring to RE5, per chance? If so, then...

...it still doesn't matter. RE4 was such an amazing game that I'd still recommend you get it, regardless of whether you're going to be getting RE5 or not.

But then again, I'd also recommend the GC version. I dunno, I just liked the aiming more...it was too easy on the Wii version.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I also preferred the GCN version. There was something that just felt off about the Wii version to me...

I don't know, I just didn't like it. The GCN version's my favorite, even if it doesn't have Separate Ways and the extra weapons. It has the best melon heads. :)

---

Anyways, yeah, buy 4. Resident Evil 5 won't even be released until 2009, mid-to-late, so it's not like waiting ayear is worth the 30 bucks you'd save by not buying RE4.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Well,I ended up getting FF4,and im somewhat disappointed...
The music is great and all,but the characters.....
Palom and Parom are so awesome,but you can only use them to a certain point,and then bam,gone forever.
Same with Edward,I got his augment so I assume hes gone.
Usually with a remake you're supposed to improve things,like choosing yer characters,similar to the GBA version.....

Eh,I give it a 7/10.

@Sensai,the PW game with Edgeworth and Gumshoe is called Gyakuten Kenji.

Sensai

Smash Master
Well,I ended up getting FF4,and im somewhat disappointed...
The music is great and all,but the characters.....
Palom and Parom are so awesome,but you can only use them to a certain point,and then bam,gone forever.
Same with Edward,I got his augment so I assume hes gone.
Usually with a remake you're supposed to improve things,like choosing yer characters,similar to the GBA version.....

Eh,I give it a 7/10.

@Sensai,the PW game with Edgeworth and Gumshoe is called Gyakuten Kenji.
Sorry you don't like FFIV. I have yet to put any decent time in it, sadly...

And what does Gyakuten Kenji mean in English? Either 'Ace Something' or 'Something Attorney' assuming that Japanese is anything at all like any other language. :-D

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Sorry you don't like FFIV. I have yet to put any decent time in it, sadly...

And what does Gyakuten Kenji mean in English? Either 'Ace Something' or 'Something Attorney' assuming that Japanese is anything at all like any other language. :-D
Gyakuten Kenji means Turnabout Prosecutor....

The series is normally called Gyakuten Saiben....

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"Gyakuten Saiban" meaning "Turnabout Court".

Really the English name has very little resemblance. If we actually get Edgey's game, I don't know what it'll end up being called.

@ Darkwashu - So...you played the GBA remake of IV? If that's the case, then yeah, IV on DS probably wasn't worth it.

Deception

Smash Ace
I just played the remake of Final Fantasy IV on the DS. Amazing game, and it has the original Japanese difficulty, so if you thought the original was too easy, try this game out.

I'm getting a PSP soon, but I don't know about too many good games on the PSP. Are there any PSP games that are must-haves?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I just played the remake of Final Fantasy IV on the DS. Amazing game, and it has the original Japanese difficulty, so if you thought the original was too easy, try this game out.

I'm getting a PSP soon, but I don't know about too many good games on the PSP. Are there any PSP games that are must-haves?
I've heard that Daxter and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters are very good choices. I actually don't own a PSP, these are just games from 2 of my favorite series.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
"Gyakuten Saiban" meaning "Turnabout Court".

Really the English name has very little resemblance. If we actually get Edgey's game, I don't know what it'll end up being called.

@ Darkwashu - So...you played the GBA remake of IV? If that's the case, then yeah, IV on DS probably wasn't worth it.
I only heard that the GBA version had it so that you could choose yer party members.

GS is Pheonix Wright in america,so maybe it'll be called Miles Edgeworth?;)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
GS is Pheonix Wright in america,so maybe it'll be called Miles Edgeworth?;)
Actually, there's a bit of a story/theory to Gyakuten Saiban's name in English territories.

Notice how onthe first game's boxart, the logo has Phoenix's name as it's focal point, with the "Ace Attorney" as a subtitle almost.

This is Capcom testing the waters here, to see how receptive English-speaking audiences are to a lawyer game. They probably had reason to think it would, well, totally bomb.

However, the game sold very well. Well enough to warrant localization of the next two games in the series. On Justice for All's box, see how the logo now emphasizes the "Ace Attorney"? Capcom now planned on porting all the games overseas, which means an eventual change in protagonist (Apollo Justice, as it were), so calling all the games "Phoenic Wright", wouldn't fly.

This continued into Trials and Tribulations, and finally into Ace Attorney 4, Apollo Justice.

So "Gyakuten Saiban/Turnabout Court" is "Ace Attorney" in America. I just don't think "Ace Prosecutor" has the same ring to it.

Maybe they'll just call it Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth.

/////

Anyways, in FFIV on GBA, you could switch between Edward, Cid, and the like after you beat the Giant of Babel, but that's near the end of the game, and the ability to use those characters again was really more of a neat extra for really hardcore fans who have nothing better to do with their lives.

FFIV DS is the definitive version of the game, as far as you should be concerned. If you didn't actually play the game on GBA, then I don't know what you're complaining about...

Deception said:
God of War: Chains of Olympus if you've played (and beaten) the other GoW's.

I highly, highly, highly recommend Lumines as well. It is, without a doubt, the coolest puzzle game of all time. Other than that, there's also...

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops+ (like Pokemon, only with guns and blood)
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (best SRPG series of all time, portable)
LocoRoco (I LOVE THIS GAME)
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (this is probably my favorite PSP game, but I'm a 'Vania dork, so maybe it's not for everyone)

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Wall-O-Text that I red.

/////

Anyways, in FFIV on GBA, you could switch between Edward, Cid, and the like after you beat the Giant of Babel, but that's near the end of the game, and the ability to use those characters again was really more of a neat extra for really hardcore fans who have nothing better to do with their lives.

FFIV DS is the definitive version of the game, as far as you should be concerned. If you didn't actually play the game on GBA, then I don't know what you're complaining about...
Im just spoiled with FFX,with all the characters having unique,not one-sided personalities,switchable at anytime,etc.
Just...the characters feel lieka step down,and the game will feel the same everytime I play it <,<
Characters are important for me....and music,which FF4 has awesome music.;)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mario Kart Wii or Mario Galaxy? I'm looking for most replayability.
Eugh...Mario Kart then.

But only if you don't like Battle Mode, and are fine with playing some matches online that are riddled with lag.

Galaxy's a much, much better game though.

Neogen

Smash Rookie
Hey, I got a PS3, and I'm not too excited about it, but I don't want it to just sit there collecting dust.

I need a game. I have approximately 0 at the moment, and want some suggestions. Nothing overly competative, no shooting games, preferably rated T & down, and I don't like too much blood. Can you think of anything? I don't have a list of games I'm considering at all.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Hey, I got a PS3, and I'm not too excited about it, but I don't want it to just sit there collecting dust.

I need a game. I have approximately 0 at the moment, and want some suggestions. Nothing overly competative, no shooting games, preferably rated T & down, and I don't like too much blood. Can you think of anything? I don't have a list of games I'm considering at all.
Disgaea 3.
I havent played it,but its a charming sRPG,if its similar to the ones before it.
You dont have to worry about it being the 3rd in the series,because the story,you can just jump right into it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Oh Lord. I just started a file in Disgaea 3 today. It's like the other two, only with 10x the content.

But it is quite the niche series, and not really a good title to exemplify the PS3. If you're looking for a good starting game, I'd suggest Ratchet & Clank Future, or The Orange Box (though the latter only applies if you've never played Half-Life 2).

There's also Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden Sigma, though those both (especially Ninja Gaiden) contain copious amounts of blood.

Also if you have an internet connection, check out Everyday Shooter on PlayStation Store.

Smash Master
I'm looking for a decent game I can play cooperatively with one to three players on either the Gamecube or the Wii. I'm not a big fan of shooting games, but if there is an exceptional shooting game, I will probably enjoy it. My friends and I just finished Phantasy Star Online EP II challenge mode, to give an example of what I'm looking for. RPG's are good. Sports games are fun, but only if they have a create-a-player option. So, what game should I get?

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I'm looking for a decent game I can play cooperatively with one to three players on either the Gamecube or the Wii. I'm not a big fan of shooting games, but if there is an exceptional shooting game, I will probably enjoy it. My friends and I just finished Phantasy Star Online EP II challenge mode, to give an example of what I'm looking for. RPG's are good. Sports games are fun, but only if they have a create-a-player option. So, what game should I get?
Hmm... Perhaps a Tiger Woods game. They've got excellent create-a-player modes, RPG-esque level-building, and the older Gamecube-era offerings can be had for extremely cheap. 2003 was the best GCN year, if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom