• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Do You Use To Jump?

TVTMaster

Smash Apprentice
I normally use Tap Jump to jump, but when I'm trying to get off an aerial on a smaller opponent I'll give the X button a workout. I mean, I know using XY to jump is superior given the increased ability to SH, but I like to be able to make sure my fingers are ready to go with an aerial or special without worrying about my thumb. I can hold my thumb on A and B at once, and can't react as fast when moving it around.

Personally, I think the next Smash Bros game should enable SH on the tap jump to make things easier for new players to adapt. Sticking tilts on the C-stick and making smashes A+direction only unless manually swapped is a good way to go, and perhaps they could slightly retool smash animations to allow for a choice between instants and charges with the button combo.

For example, the game could kind of freeze time for just the microsecond needed to determine whether the player is letting out the move or holding the charge. That way, smashes could be kept to analog combos, tilts could fit on the C-stick, and Tap Jump could be used competitively while keeping smash functionality intact.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I use the Y and X buttons.

Those were the most basic jumping buttons in Melee, and I kept the same control scheme in Brawl. I often jump high, very rarely short-hopping.

Chuz

Smash Cadet
I use the control stick for auto L-canceling aerials but other than that I use X.

daisho

Smash Lord
Well I can't play with tap jump on.

I normally use X for short hops and i think i might use Y sometimes, not sure.

Now I changed R to grab and use Z for short hopping double bairs since its impossible to do if you have to use your thumb to jump and hit the C stick twice.

day-day

Smash Ace
I did use to play with the tap jump on but then realized I couldn't pull off my u-tilt's so I turned it off. Only way to go on the wiichuck is with the c-button if you want to jump imo.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
I use Y only. I've turned off tap jump cos sometimes it's wasted a jump unecessarily which has cost me a stock a few times. X is just awkward, the positioning I just can't use it.
hahahaha^^ that is exactly what i do^^

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Classic:

Tap jump off
X - jump
Y - grab (though I'll set L to grab and use it sometimes)

GCC:

Tap jump off
Y - jump
X - grab (though I usually set L to grab and use it or Z)

One of the first huge excitements I had about Brawl was learning that I can turn tap jump off. I absolutely HATED that crap in Melee...I was always using extra jumps by accident when doing Uairs. Seems like I use X jump on the classic because it's closer to A, and I use Y jump on the GCC because it's closer to A and B.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i think the most off us use y to jump and tap jump off/don't use tap jump

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom