• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Do you even katakana, bro? I didn't even mention the L/R issue once, since it's not really an issue at all.
ウン。クルシクナイヨ。
Japanese R is basically a mix of English L and R, with a bit of D thrown in. Being picky about writing Ls or Rs isn't even pedantic, it's just misinformed. As is being picky about C or K: Romanization was done by Westerners to make more sense of the language. It doesn't really matter which one you write, as long as you pronounce it right. Which the Awakening VAs didn't. Nor did the Smash announcer. It would have been a better idea to use Lukina, but as long as somebody checked to make sure it was being pronounced properly it doesn't matter.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think you get my point.

Nobody is mispronouncing her name. It's pronounced with a long, soft C instead of a short hard C because it was changed to a different name entirely.

Moving away from this discussion:

I don't know how unpopular this is, since most people don't seem to care, but ever since the merger with Activision Blizzard just hasn't been the same.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I agree. It feels Blizzard has lost most of the quality that made them gods in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
I really dislike OoT due to story being dumb and that Hyrule Field (both adult and child) should have more enemies and need to have better caves/secrets.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I really dislike OoT due to story being dumb and that Hyrule Field (both adult and child) should have more enemies and need to have better caves/secrets.
Agreed, although I just dislike the entire game, as I find it frustrating.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Agreed, although I just dislike the entire game, as I find it frustrating.
You should stay away from the Master Quest, then. The challenges there would probably make you go literally insane.

Because who would've thought to deploy a Bombchu over a bottomless pit to hit a switch? I certainly didn't. That said, I still like the game.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I honestly thought the only "fun to play" Final Fantasy games are the Tactics series.

(Which is kinda ironic since I love other turn based RPGs like Pokemon and Mario&Luigi)

finalark

SNORLAX
I honestly thought the only "fun to play" Final Fantasy games are the Tactics series.

(Which is kinda ironic since I love other turn based RPGs like Pokemon and Mario&Luigi)
I have a buddy who's into Pokemon and absolutely adores Paper Mario but just can't get into FF. IIRC the conclusion he came to was that the games just weren't interactive enough for him.

I'm a long time fan of the series so obviously I enjoy playing all the games to some extent. But looking at it as objectively as possible, the first five games can be very hard to enjoy unless you're very forgiving of dated game design or just happen to really enjoy old school RPGs.

Final Fantasy IX has a good story, but some deeply flawed design. I know a lot of people who have been turned off by FFVIII due to its seemingly complex mechanics (which the game dumps on you all at once instead of slowly easing you into) and it's unlikable protagonist (although as they say on TV Tropes, YMMV on that). XII is a bit of an acquired taste due to it's more open style and MMO-inspired battle system (although with the popularity of Xenoblade I imagine more people might enjoy it today rather than ten years ago). XIII is polarizing all around, and XI and XIV are MMORPGs so nobody cares about them.

I'd say the most fun and accessible games are FFVI, VII and X due to their fast battles, simple yet deep mechanics, never making you feel like you have no idea where to go and for being designed in such a way that grinding isn't 100% necessary to beat the game.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman

I have a buddy who's into Pokemon and absolutely adores Paper Mario but just can't get into FF. IIRC the conclusion he came to was that the games just weren't interactive enough for him.

I'm a long time fan of the series so obviously I enjoy playing all the games to some extent. But looking at it as objectively as possible, the first five games can be very hard to enjoy unless you're very forgiving of dated game design or just happen to really enjoy old school RPGs.

Final Fantasy IX has a good story, but some deeply flawed design. I know a lot of people who have been turned off by FFVIII due to its seemingly complex mechanics (which the game dumps on you all at once instead of slowly easing you into) and it's unlikable protagonist (although as they say on TV Tropes, YMMV on that). XII is a bit of an acquired taste due to it's more open style and MMO-inspired battle system (although with the popularity of Xenoblade I imagine more people might enjoy it today rather than ten years ago). XIII is polarizing all around, and XI and XIV are MMORPGs so nobody cares about them.

I'd say the most fun and accessible games are FFVI, VII and X due to their fast battles, simple yet deep mechanics, never making you feel like you have no idea where to go and for being designed in such a way that grinding isn't 100% necessary to beat the game.
As someone who enjoys how interactive the Mario RPGs are, I liked Bravely Default's gameplay a lot. While it's still a strictly turn-based game, I felt like the Brave/Default system helped spice things up by adding some more strategy about when you use your turns for each character and how many turns to use at a time. I also thought the ability to fast-forward animations and toggle the enemy encounter rate were nice features to have and made it pretty easy to level up if that's what you wanted to do or avoid enemies if you just wanted to get to the boss or leave a dungeon without being disturbed.

I think there are definitely some fair criticisms out there about it's plot and endgame, but I feel like its gameplay is really quite good, even if some of the jobs are a bit unbalanced.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The most enjoyable Final Fantasy game I've played was Dissidia

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran

Ahh, I feel exactly the same way! FFTA was the first game I ever reeeally got into. (On a GBA cartridge borrowed from another kid at a Christmas pageant, not realizing I'd never actually see that kid again...)

finalark

SNORLAX
As someone who enjoys how interactive the Mario RPGs are, I liked Bravely Default's gameplay a lot. While it's still a strictly turn-based game, I felt like the Brave/Default system helped spice things up by adding some more strategy about when you use your turns for each character and how many turns to use at a time. I also thought the ability to fast-forward animations and toggle the enemy encounter rate were nice features to have and made it pretty easy to level up if that's what you wanted to do or avoid enemies if you just wanted to get to the boss or leave a dungeon without being disturbed.
One of my favorite things about that game was turning off encounters so you could grab all the loot in a dungeon without having to worry about getting your ass pounded into the ground.

IMO Bravely Default is the ultimate proof that old school JPRGs can still exist in the modern world and that the genre never needed to be reinvented as hard as HD era devs tried to. People still like turn based battles and random encounters, and smoothing out the more dated elements of those mechanics is all that a good JRPG needed to shine in the modern world.

I'm really, really hyped for Bravely Second.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I just find it boring, especially in comparison to other shooters such as TF2.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I honestly don't think Fallout 4's graphics are bad at all. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I honestly don't think Fallout 4's graphics are bad at all. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
I think it's less of a, the game looks bad, and more of a, it could be better.

I personally think the game looks great, but comparing it to say, Star Wars Battlefront, it does pale. But that's fine for me cause mods.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I think it's less of a, the game looks bad, and more of a, it could be better.

I personally think the game looks great, but comparing it to say, Star Wars Battlefront, it does pale. But that's fine for me cause mods.
Yeah I agree they could have been better but that argument could be made about anything ever.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'm really bored of 2D platformers. I miss the days where you could knock over a rock and a 3D platformer would come crawling out from beneath.

I also miss the Sonic Adventure games. I feel like most fans don't want Sonic games in that style anymore, and it makes me sad because that's the Sonic I grew up with and loved. I realized this when playing with a friend because we don't have any great love for the classic games or the newer ones. In fact, we both thought the new ones were too kiddy. The Sonic Adventure to '06 era may have suffered from going too far in the "dark and edgy" direction, but modern games are too kiddy and toothless for our taste.

I feel like people really downplay how hard a translator's job is. Probably because it sounds easy - replace one word with a word that means the same, right? But being a good translator requires an in-depth knowledge of two languages and two cultures, not to mention a knowledge of translation techniques, which only comes with years of study. Translation should only be one-to-one when it's the best option, and it usually isn't.

I've been studying Russian for a long while now, and one of my hobbies is translating Russian text. Although there are a lot of times when a one-to-one translation provides a grammatically correct translation, that's not sufficient for it to be a good translation. Because certain words tend to pair up with other words more frequently, a phenomenon known as collocation, a translation can sound off because you're using a word combination that, while not wrong, isn't the most common one.

In a good translation, you shouldn't be aware that you're reading a translation. People shouldn't speak with odd word orders or rare grammatical constructs. Archaic words shouldn't be dug up because they happen to be cognates with the original word. It shouldn't feel like it was ever written in anything other than the language you are reading it in.

It's virtually impossible to preserve every aspect of an original text. For example, Russian uses diminutives much more frequently than English does, and uses them to express the speaker's feelings towards an object or person. They are infamously difficult to translate into English. In fact, you are usually advised to just not translate them, otherwise you end up with awkward phrases like "let's go for some little vodka" and "I love you, my little darling sisterlet." This is something that is lost in English. Russian also has a T/V distinction, which no longer exists in the English pronominal system. Where this distinction is important to the plot/characterization (e.g. an early scene in Anna Karenina), translators usually try to make the entirety of the speech sound more formal, which isn't necessarily the case in the original. Here something is added in the translation.

And this is all just in Russian, a language related to English where the neutral word order is SVO (although Russian has a much more flexible word order than English, which poses yet another translation difficulty). Japanese, with its SOV word order and topic-prominence, as well as notably more removed culture, must be an absolute nightmare to translate. Stuff like connotations of using kanji vs hiragana vs katakana is sometimes near impossible to get across well. There are 11 different English translations of Crime & Punishment for a reason - translation is an art, and there's always room for interpretation or trying again. When you consider translators are apparently not given text as it appears in the game but completely out of order... I really got to give 'em props.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm really bored of 2D platformers. I miss the days where you could knock over a rock and a 3D platformer would come crawling out from beneath.

I also miss the Sonic Adventure games. I feel like most fans don't want Sonic games in that style anymore, and it makes me sad because that's the Sonic I grew up with and loved. I realized this when playing with a friend because we don't have any great love for the classic games or the newer ones. In fact, we both thought the new ones were too kiddy. The Sonic Adventure to '06 era may have suffered from going too far in the "dark and edgy" direction, but modern games are too kiddy and toothless for our taste.
I've always been under the impression most fans wanted an Adventure style game, that or something more open ended

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like people really downplay how hard a translator's job is. Probably because it sounds easy - replace one word with a word that means the same, right? But being a good translator requires an in-depth knowledge of two languages and two cultures, not to mention a knowledge of translation techniques, which only comes with years of study. Translation should only be one-to-one when it's the best option, and it usually isn't.

I've been studying Russian for a long while now, and one of my hobbies is translating Russian text. Although there are a lot of times when a one-to-one translation provides a grammatically correct translation, that's not sufficient for it to be a good translation. Because certain words tend to pair up with other words more frequently, a phenomenon known as collocation, a translation can sound off because you're using a word combination that, while not wrong, isn't the most common one.

In a good translation, you shouldn't be aware that you're reading a translation. People shouldn't speak with odd word orders or rare grammatical constructs. Archaic words shouldn't be dug up because they happen to be cognates with the original word. It shouldn't feel like it was ever written in anything other than the language you are reading it in.

It's virtually impossible to preserve every aspect of an original text. For example, Russian uses diminutives much more frequently than English does, and uses them to express the speaker's feelings towards an object or person. They are infamously difficult to translate into English. In fact, you are usually advised to just not translate them, otherwise you end up with awkward phrases like "let's go for some little vodka" and "I love you, my little darling sisterlet." This is something that is lost in English. Russian also has a T/V distinction, which no longer exists in the English pronominal system. Where this distinction is important to the plot/characterization (e.g. an early scene in Anna Karenina), translators usually try to make the entirety of the speech sound more formal, which isn't necessarily the case in the original. Here something is added in the translation.

And this is all just in Russian, a language related to English where the neutral word order is SVO (although Russian has a much more flexible word order than English, which poses yet another translation difficulty). Japanese, with its SOV word order and topic-prominence, as well as notably more removed culture, must be an absolute nightmare to translate. Stuff like connotations of using kanji vs hiragana vs katakana is sometimes near impossible to get across well. There are 11 different English translations of Crime & Punishment for a reason - translation is an art, and there's always room for interpretation or trying again. When you consider translators are apparently not given text as it appears in the game but completely out of order... I really got to give 'em props.
You're the ****ing best, Kim.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
From my knowledge, it's a toss up between the original games and the Adventure games. And there's very little middle ground.

finalark

SNORLAX
I never liked Papyrus.
Honestly, I prefer paper for my writing needs.

I've always been under the impression most fans wanted an Adventure style game, that or something more open ended
With Sonic fans it's honestly a pretty even split. There's some that want more Genesis style games (although after seeing how Sonic 4 was handled most fans consider that a pipe dream), others want more Adventure style games and others are perfectly happy with Boost Sonic.

As for the status quote outside of the Sonic community, well, the gaming community at large doesn't give a damn because if Sonic got good again then they would have to find a new easy target for jokes.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Just here to restate that Final Fantasy 7 is a mediocre game. **** Cloud.
Stay salty!

With Cloud in Smash, I sorta wish Smash 4 continued with the realistic artstyle Melee and Brawl had. I'm so used to seeing Cloud (and Ryu) so detailed, it's actually kinda weird seeing them simplified.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm kinda iffy about Cloud. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to try him out, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely happy with him. Maybe it's just I wanted someone who has a few more ties with Nintendo (like Black Mage for example), but it feels off to have a FF character with little ties to Nintendo as it gets.

Granted, I fully understand why they went with him. But would I say there weren't other choices that could've fit better? Probably.

Twewy

Smash Lord
With Cloud in Smash, I sorta wish Smash 4 continued with the realistic artstyle Melee and Brawl had. I'm so used to seeing Cloud (and Ryu) so detailed, it's actually kinda weird seeing them simplified.
Keep in mind Street Fighter has never been really had a dull color palette. Even 1 and 2 had color to it. Ryu doesn't seem out of place with 4's color scheme. Never played FF7, but it seems 7 to have this color scheme where some areas are darkly colored and some bright and vibrant. I'm not sure if it's because of the pre-rendered backgrounds and lack of shading or what, but it seems Cloud's FF7 model has the same brightness as his 4 model. The only time I noticed Cloud's colors being actually "dull" is in official art for FF7.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
I never liked Papyrus.
I honestly like sans more than Papyrus. But, Papyrus is still great to chat with even though I can't stand his personality (not to be rude or anything...)

Anyway, even though I like most characters in Undertales, there only one character I personally dislike...

That Fallen Child aka Chara because of that bad ending and his backstory...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
DLC's there to make Nintendo money. It'd be weird to put any other Square character in, imo, when you can make bank from the DLC and selling more copies of the game.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I think Nintendo should focus less on gimmicks with the NX and more on hardware.
Nintendo should wait for the PS5 and Xbox Two (?). If Nintendo releases the NX next year, they'll just be behind again.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
DLC's there to make Nintendo money. It'd be weird to put any other Square character in, imo, when you can make bank from the DLC and selling more copies of the game.
I think Sora would be the only other good choice, maybe Lightning too, but I feel that's a reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom