• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I got Undertale today. I'll try to dedicate the rest of the day to finishing it then I'll report back to this tjread.
I'm almost sure my opinion on it is gonna be something unpopular

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but UnderTale's fanbase is almost as bad as the FNaF's.

finalark

SNORLAX
Another selling point was that it STINKS!

....Which might be why it didn't sell all that good.
I always thought it was weird that NOA tried to advertise it as some kind of grossout game.

Earthbound is weird and quirky, but there's nothing really gross about it.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Earthbound is hilariously overrated. And there are people that think it is unappreciated which is a joke. Boring battle system, boring story, boring game.

I think it was pretty unrecognised until SSB but maybe I've got that wrong.

Especially with the E-shop release it's got a ****-ton of attention.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it was pretty unrecognised until SSB but maybe I've got that wrong.
Na, you're on the money here. Earthbound was very, very obscure until Smash. These days, not so much.

I feel like Earthbound is a game worth playing at least once just to see how surreal it can get. But once you know what's coming its ridiculously weak game play makes it really boring on repeated playthroughs.

Honestly, I really loved the game when I first play it. But unfortunately its a game I like less and less with each revisit.

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
my unpopular gaming opinion: mario shouldn't be the face of nintendo

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Na, you're on the money here. Earthbound was very, very obscure until Smash. These days, not so much.

I feel like Earthbound is a game worth playing at least once just to see how surreal it can get. But once you know what's coming its ridiculously weak game play makes it really boring on repeated playthroughs.

Honestly, I really loved the game when I first play it. But unfortunately its a game I like less and less with each revisit.
I think Mother 3 is deserving of a replay. It's the only game in the series where the battle system has a unique identity besides merely being a whacked-out version of Dragon Quest, and is fun purely on its own merits. Also helps that Mother 3 has a much more focused and affecting storyline.

Earthbound was never really obscure, though. It got heavy coverage by Nintendo Power in its day and was marketed as a major release for the SNES in North America, even if it didn't meet sales expectations. Being considered a "hidden gem" isn't the same as being obscure.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Although this is not necessarily unpopular, it's not a popular opinion either.
I don't know how to describe this theme. It's not the worst final boss theme from Touhou, but it is the blandest, imo.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I think Anita Sarkeesian is okay. A lot of the points she's made in her videos are agreeable. I don't agree with everything she's said but either way, she has a right to be critical of video games because like any other medium, games shouldn't be free from criticism. What she does isn't censorship like some people seem to think.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I don't know how to describe this theme. It's not the worst final boss theme from Touhou, but it is the blandest, imo.
I agree with this completely. Imo, most of the music in th13 is bland and unmemorable. Doesn't really help that it has the worst life/bomb system in the series imo.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
New I think Anita Sarkeesian is okay. A lot of the points she's made in her videos are agreeable. I don't agree with everything she's said but either way, she has a right to be critical of video games because like any other medium, games shouldn't be free from criticism. What she does isn't censorship like some people seem to think.
But you cannot be blind to some of the stuff she's done with her videos. Taking things out of context and then presenting it to push your ideals to people you're supposedly trying to educate is not alright.
The Hitman example is the most used one.
I agree with this completely. Imo, most of the music in th13 is bland and unmemorable. Doesn't really help that it has the worst life/bomb system in the series imo.
It's sad to thin Ten Desires was the third Touhou game I 1CCd not because I liked it, but because I wanted to get it out of the way so I wouldn't have to look at it again.
People need to stop giving Touhou a pass just because it's Touhou. They are all extremely fun games but that doesn't mean they're immune to criticism. Ten Desires is too easy and the only reason I didn't 1CC it in my first try was because of the stupid lives system. The bloody lives system is the only thing that stops this game from being a walk in the park. I thought the new characters were pretty weak as well, they're nowhere near as memorable as the games that came before or after it, atleast to me.
In a way, yes, I am glad I 1CCd this game already almost 3 years ago (...bloody hell, 2013 was three years ago?!) because I can sleep at night knowing I won't have to waste my time learning the game to 1CC it.
BTW, this is my 1CC, in case you feel like watching it or something.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
It really was the worst stage 6 boss theme. Not that it was worst song in Touhou, but the song was quite mediocre for some reason.

I would be interested if anyone can think of a Touhou song that would be underrated or overrated to listen.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If I were to pick my favourite boss theme in general, it would be Yuyuko's theme...
...which is not called Border of Life. Border of Life is the Resurrection Butterfly theme, this is Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome ~ Border of Life. Border of Life is the subtitle.
Honestly, why did ZUN made two themes with part of the same name? It just makes things confusing.
And seriously how many more times can I fit Border of Life in this reply.
Border of Life Border of Life.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If I were to explain why True Adminstrator feels so bland... it doesn't feel as epic as the other themes.
It doesn't have the same punch. It doesn't have nearly as many instruments (if it does, well where are they?) and the melody isn't as interesting, for me. Septette for a Dead Princess, the aforementioned Something Something Border of Life, and Venerable Ancient Battlefield...
They all do a pretty good job at setting up atmosphere and creating a really intense scenario with the music. While I do like the melody for True Adminstrator, I feel like it doesn't fit that much for a final boss of this series.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Ghost Lead (Touhou 13)
Green-Eyed Jealousy (Touhou 11)
Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever (Touhou 12)
Diao Ze Zong ~ Withered Leaf (Touhou 7)
Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 (Touhou 6)
Old Yuanxian (Touhou 13)
Suwa Foughten Field (Touhou 10)
Most of PC-98 Touhou boss themes

U.N Owen Was Her (Touhou 6)
Bad Apple (Touhou 4)
Sleeping Terror (Touhou 4)
Septette for the Dead Princess (Touhou 6)

By the way, I might be the only one who really like the FNAF story and wish the sequels of that game shouldn't exist at all.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Old Yuanxian (Touhou 13)
Holy bloody ****e someone else likes Old Yuanxian in this fandom.
Amazing how both of the best themes from Ten Desires come from Stage 4: Desire Drive and Old Yuanxian.
Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 (Touhou 6)
I also thought I was the only one that liked this song. People always like Meiling's stage theme, Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea better and it's almost unanimously unnofficially Meiling's theme, nowadays... but Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 is still incredible.
Suwa Foughten Field (Touhou 10)
Mentioned it in my other reply. It's one of my favourite themes from this series.
U.N Owen Was Her (Touhou 6)
Bad Apple (Touhou 4)
Sleeping Terror (Touhou 4)
Septette for the Dead Princess (Touhou 6)
UN Owen was her was good and its impact and importance for the series and the western fanbase is undeniable. Still, while it is good, it's not the best theme ever from this series. Hell, it's not the best Windows theme, not the best Extra theme, it's far from being the best theme in EOSD...
Bad Apple is hard to not agree on, but most people seem to remember the Bad Apple video better than the actual theme.
I must admit, I don't know Sleeping Terror. Should I feel ashamed?
I really like Septette. It's one of my favourite themes. I don't think it deserves the guaranteed 2nd place spot in the popularity poll, but I do find it good.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair, they kinda are.
Mario is the big franchise after all. And Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi are major icons in their own right.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
out of the mario series probably peach or luigi or yoshi
Well we already had the year of Luigi, and that was one of Nintendo's worst years finance wise. (This makes me feel bad saying that since I prefer Luigi over Mario :'( )

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Mario may not be my favorite character from Nintendo, but I can't think of anyone who would fit the position better. No other character has the kind of recognition he does(at least in the entirety of Nintendo).

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Nobody's going to be able to replace Mario as Nintendo's mascot, that's just a fact. The man's been the face of the company since the NES, and it's not changing now.

I mean, if having Samus be Nintendo's next flagship character gave us more Metroid games (even spin-off ones!), I'd love it. But realistically, nobody's replacing the Big M as the flagship character for Nintendo.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Unpopular opinion alert:

I grew up with the n64 but it is my least favorite console. I think the super nintendo and gamecube have better games and better replay value....but maybe just barely.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
it's called an unpopular opinion, does that make sense to you or no finalark finalark

take a guess Ocarina Stealer Ocarina Stealer

i am aware of that it's called wishful thinking, TF is with the people on this thread Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash

and idk who else replied to me i'm in school so i can't rly check rn
TF is wrong with your English?

You should give reasons for your opinions.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not so unpopular opinion, people in this thread have issues making proper responses that are respectful.

This thread is filled with posts of people giving opinions that don't really promote worthwhile discussions. It doesn't help when you give unpopular opinions veering on the line of baiting people without giving reasons why you feel that way, then attacking people when they're asking why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom