• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think Sora would be the only other good choice, maybe Lightning too, but I feel that's a reach.
Actually, Sora's owned by Disney, and Mickey Mouse would be much more profitable than Sora. Of course Mickey's not happening, though, even if it would be hype to see someone as iconic and legendary as him battle against the likes of Mario and Pac-Man.

I don't think a long forgotten character who hasn't appeared in a game since his cameo in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga really would make that much money.

finalark

SNORLAX
Just here to restate that Final Fantasy 7 is a mediocre game. **** Cloud.
Didn't know snowflakes could be so salty.

Honestly, the annoying fans who couldn't stop shoving the game down everyone's throat grew up or moved onto other things years ago. These days the FFVII haters are way more venomous and toxic than the fans could ever be.

On the topic of Cloud's inclusion, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, FF is one of my absolute favorite franchises and I'm very happy to have a rep in Smash. On the other hand, Nintendo's history with FFVII is particularly unpleasant. Not to mention Cloud is very closely tied to PlayStation. Hell, FFVII isn't even playable on any Nintendo platforms.

I would have preferred The Warrior of Light, Firion, Luneth, Cecil, Bartz, Terra, someone who's game was at one time Nintendo exclusive. Oh well, as Squall said in Kingdom Hearts, "Beggars can't be choosers."

Last edited:

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I wouldn't think so, seeing as he called Live and Learn edgy...
I wasn't serious when I said that. I called it edgy, as the song is usually related to Shadow the Hedgehog, a really "edgy" character.

I should also note if I ever use the word edgy, I'm normally joking.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I wasn't serious when I said that. I called it edgy, as the song is usually related to Shadow the Hedgehog, a really "edgy" character.

I should also note if I ever use the word edgy, I'm normally joking.
It's actually associated with Sonic. The song you're thinking of is "All Hail Shadow".

How do I know this?

It's in the name.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I can't say I'm a big fan of it. Don't get me wrong, it's cool, I just....can't get into it.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
I've never especially cared about any Final Fantasy game outside of the Tactics series. I'm still hyped about Cloud because holy crap Cloud is in Smash!! Where'd you guys' childlike sense of wonder go? We're gonna have a game where you can host a huge battle royale between Mario, Sonic, Pac Man, Megaman, Pikachu, Ryu, and Cloud - a rogues' gallery of the most iconic characters in the history of video games, all together under one roof, with the promise of more to come. If you showed even the list of characters to someone from twenty years ago, they'd flip out.

Maybe that's not really an unpopular opinion, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

finalark

SNORLAX
Speaking of Final Fantasy, I can't say I'm a big fan of it. Don't get me wrong, it's cool, I just....can't get into it.
Even though I love the series to death, that's not all that surprising.

FF is one of those long runners that really hard to get into if you haven't been playing the series your entire life. There's a dickton of games, each one clocking in at 30-infinite hours (because you know, the main series has two MMOs in it), making playing them all a daunting task. Not to mention you have to be willing to deal with and forgive a ton of dated game design to play the older ones.

Oh yeah, and I did I forget the mention that if you want to play the best version of each game you better have half a dozen different consoles and handhelds lying around?

The fact that JRPGs, especially turn-based ones, are getting more and more niche by the year doesn't help.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've actually been kinda bummed about this, but Squeenix made it clear that the game would be closing down soon when they started the Goddess Gala event way back at the start of the year.

Honestly, I kinda wish Sqeenix would have converted the game's story into a single player RPG for 3DS or something instead of turning it into a mobile game which will one day be discontinued too. That way we won't be in the situation we're heading towards where there's an unplayable game in the main series, creating a truly "lost" Final Fantasy.

It would be nice if they released kits to allow handcore fans to run their own servers and then just gave the game to the community to do whatever the hell they wanted with it. If fans were up to making it, I'd love to play a revamped FFXI with updated graphics that don't look like mud, an overhauled UI and in-game quest helpers and guides.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I think other FF characters would have been better and more unique but I'm still pretty hyped.
Also why all the swordsman hate?

finalark

SNORLAX
If you showed even the list of characters to someone from twenty years ago, they'd flip out.
I'd like the take a second to point out that they'd proceed to lose their mind further if you told them that wasn't even a fourth of the roster.

For just a moment, can we put aside biases and grievances to realize how awesome Smash 4 and how freaking amazing it is that this is an official, well-supported game and not some half-forgotten fan project?

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion: I still think Geno is a highly overrated character for Smash 4 DLC. So Cloud got in. Makes sense considering how popular Final Fantasy is, plus he is one of the most iconic characters. Geno? Yeah, it totally makes sense that Squeenix would put in a one-time character from a really old game, and of whom hasn't even gotten into any of the Nintendo/Square Enix crossover games at all. So many other potental Square Enix franchises and characters, and yet people want the one who only appeared in a Mario spin-off (Plus that random Superstar Saga cameo).

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
-Tri Force Heroes is a terrible game. It's no FSA, that's for sure.
-I think indie developers offer more than AAA companies these days.

EDIT: There was some posts here concerning Yo-Kai Watch a few pages back, so I'm gonna talk about it here. I like the game so far, but tbh, I highly doubt it'll be as big as Pokemon nor take its place. The franchise is pretty Japanese, so it's easily not gonna translate well in Western territories. Not many people know what youkai are anyway (they're spirits, btw), so it probably won't stand a chance against Pokemon. Speaking of Pokemon, some of the Pokemon are based off of youkai apparently. Examples are Espeon, Klefki, Magnemite, Banette, etc.

And Digimon came out before Pokemon, so which is the rip-off now?

Last edited:

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I think that Pokemon Gens 1, 2, and 4 are awful, and Gen 5 and OR/AS are some of the better games.
I'd go as far as saying that Pokemon Black and White along with the sequels are some of my favorite games of all time.

I think OR/AS is a major improvement over Emerald in almost every way (besides the removal of the Battle Frontier).

finalark

SNORLAX
And Digimon came out before Pokemon, so which is the rip-off now?
Pokemon most certainly was not the first series about capturing and raising monsters and it won't be the last. Hell, Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon Quest did it before Pokemon did.

I really wish people would stop brushing aside any and all mons games as "Pokemon rip offs."

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I don't think a long forgotten character who hasn't appeared in a game since his cameo in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga really would make that much money.
Lol Geno is the most requested square Enix character since brawl and he can prints money because it would be his first time to appear In the newest generation of gaming and people were waiting for him since 19 years ago, even if some people wouldn't recognize him they would still buy him because of his moveset and his ability that other character doesn't have.
I'm still hoping for either Klonoa or Rayman to make it in.
i am hoping for Geno to get revealed in December they already have Cloud so why not drop the 2nd bomb from square Enix.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Lol Geno is the most requested square Enix character since brawl and he can prints money because it would be his first time to appear In the newest generation of gaming and people were waiting for him since 19 years ago, even if some people wouldn't recognize him they would still buy him because of his moveset and his ability that other character doesn't have.
He may maybe the most requested, but that doesn't mean he's the most popular SE character. Cloud may not be requested, but he has a hell of a lot more star power than Geno could ever dream of.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Pokemon most certainly was not the first series about capturing and raising monsters and it won't be the last. Hell, Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon Quest did it before Pokemon did.

I really wish people would stop brushing aside any and all mons games as "Pokemon rip offs."
Exactly! I get really annoyed when some Pokemon fans treat other mon series like Digimon, Monster Rancher, & Yo-Kai Watch as rip-offs even though they're completely different. I used to be like this with Digimon years ago until I watched the anime & realized that not only is it good, but it was also really different from Pokemon. Every mon series shares some of the same tropes, but they're all unique in their own way and they don't rip off each other. I respect every other mon series in the same way as I do Pokemon, and I'm a huge fan of the genre anyway.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm hoping for Cloud to be the last third party character.
Sure third parties are nice and all, but I also want some first party DLC newcomers (which currently we haven't had any). After all, even with the vast amount of parties represented, it's still primarily Nintendo. And there's a lot of new blood yet to be represented.

finalark

SNORLAX
I didn't even know what a Geno was until I started posting on this boards back in '07.

I doubt we'll ever see him because I can only imagine the copyright tango Nintendo has to dance to get access to all these third party characters. Chances are, they're only allowed one and are obviously going to pick the most iconic and well known character to sell DLC packs over cult characters that are relatively unknown outside of their dedicated followings.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Exactly! I get really annoyed when some Pokemon fans treat other mon series like Digimon, Monster Rancher, & Yo-Kai Watch as rip-offs even though they're completely different. I used to be like this with Digimon years ago until I watched the anime & realized that not only is it good, but it was also really different from Pokemon. Every mon series shares some of the same tropes, but they're all unique in their own way and they don't rip off each other. I respect every other mon series in the same way as I do Pokemon, and I'm a huge fan of the genre anyway.
The funniest thing about the whole "Digimon is a Pokemon clone" thing is that it's utter bullcrap: It was a Tomogatchi for boys. And unless you're telling me that somehow Tomogatchi ripped off Pokemon, I don't see the connection.

finalark

SNORLAX
The funniest thing about the whole "Digimon is a Pokemon clone" thing is that it's utter bullcrap: It was a Tomogatchi for boys. And unless you're telling me that somehow Tomogatchi ripped off Pokemon, I don't see the connection.
But Digimon and Pokemon both have "mon" in the title! And since I'm narrow minded and only know of Pokemon due to it's massive success obviously it's a rip-off since I didn't hear about it until after Pokemon came out! /sarcasmifyoucouldn'ttell

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Unpopular opinion: I still think Geno is a highly overrated character for Smash 4 DLC. So Cloud got in. Makes sense considering how popular Final Fantasy is, plus he is one of the most iconic characters. Geno? Yeah, it totally makes sense that Squeenix would put in a one-time character from a really old game, and of whom hasn't even gotten into any of the Nintendo/Square Enix crossover games at all. So many other potental Square Enix franchises and characters, and yet people want the one who only appeared in a Mario spin-off (Plus that random Superstar Saga cameo).
Although Geno only appears in SMRPG and made a cameo in M&LSS, I think Geno would be a unique (and underrated) character with his movesets that he can use from his only appearance. Then again he might be the 2nd Square Enix character in Smash 4 if he ever was confirmed.

I think that Pokemon Gens 1, 2, and 4 are awful, and Gen 5 and OR/AS are some of the better games.
I'd go as far as saying that Pokemon Black and White along with the sequels are some of my favorite games of all time.

I think OR/AS is a major improvement over Emerald in almost every way (besides the removal of the Battle Frontier).
Gen 4 and 5 is considered my favorite Pokemon Gens of all time. While most people praised Gen 2 for being the most favorable of all generations, I really don't like that generation for some reasons.

Maybe because Gen 2 is consider one of the easiest game to beat (before the Kanto appearance) once you get your Pokemon overleveled. And that the story with Team Rocket may be repetitive rather than having new villains. Then again, that is just what I concern about Gen 2.

Anyway, I found Black and White to have the best story and have great challenging battles out of all Pokemon game. Generation 1 and 3 are great. Gen 6 may be unknown because we and I are waiting for Pokemon Z.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Well, I checked Wikipedia just now and it looks like Pokemon did came out before Tamagotchi & Digimon were a thing. My question here is did Pokemon really started the whole mon genre or not? I'm seriously confused here.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, I checked Wikipedia just now and it looks like Pokemon did came out before Tamagotchi & Digimon were a thing. My question here is did Pokemon really started the whole mon genre or not? I'm seriously confused here.
As Finalark said, there were a few that did it before Pokemon.
I could argue that Pokemon was the one that made the genre big (or mainstream), but it wasn't the first.

Kinda like how Smash Bros popularized the platformer fighter genre, but it wasn't the first to try something like it (case and point: The Outfoxies).

finalark

SNORLAX
Na, Pokemon just popularized it.

The thing that People forget is that Red and Green were cult at best in Japan. It wasn't until '97 when the anime came out that it really stared picking up steam. And I really doubt something like say, Monster Rancher which came out that same year, was trying to rip off a set of relatively unknown RPGs that were released with zero advertising.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think Sora would be the only other good choice, maybe Lightning too, but I feel that's a reach.
I think Disney co-owns (or maybe even fully) owns Sora. That might be something both Nintendo and Square didn't want to bother with.

Edit: Looks like someone already covered what I said. Guess that's what I get for not refreshing.

Last edited:

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Although Geno only appears in SMRPG and made a cameo in M&LSS, I think Geno would be a unique (and underrated) character with his movesets that he can use from his only appearance. Then again he might be the 2nd Square Enix character in Smash 4 if he ever was confirmed.
Really, moveset potential can only take a character so far, especially with so many other characters from both Mario & Square-Enix that have appeared in more games and are more popular. I'm pretty sure Geno's quite low priority for both Squeenix and Nintendo as a whole.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm loving all this salt being directed at :4cloud:! :troll:

I've played his game. It's alright, but I think there are better JRPGs out there that existed in that time frame. Anyway, I'm considering a purchase when he hits the eShop to see what he's like. A lot of people are saying that :4cloud: is an :4myfriends: clone, but to me it looks more like he's an :4myfriends:/:4shulk: mix.

I can't say that I would've had him pegged as a newcomer(much like most people), but as far as series representation goes, I don't think I'd be able to imagine anyone else.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
I personally think Black Mage would been a better choice if there is going to be a FF character in Smash 4. I'm okay with Cloud since many FF7 fans want him and that Cloud is very popular in the FF franchise..

Last edited:

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
I personally think Black Mage would been a better choice if there is going to be a FF character in Smash 4. I'm okay with Cloud since many FF7 fans want him and that Cloud is very popular in the FF franchise..
Why do you think Black Mage would have been a better choice? I think moveset potential takes a serious backseat to series representation and cultural importance in these decisions. Final Fantasy VII is generally seen as the game that made RPGs popular and viable outside of Japan, as well as helping skyrocket the PS1 to the position of best-selling console for its generation - I imagine it was a natural decision to choose that game's highly visible and recognizable protagonist as the representative for Final Fantasy and for Sony.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Why do you think Black Mage would have been a better choice? I think moveset potential takes a serious backseat to series representation and cultural importance in these decisions. Final Fantasy VII is generally seen as the game that made RPGs popular and viable outside of Japan, as well as helping skyrocket the PS1 to the position of best-selling console for its generation - I imagine it was a natural decision to choose that game's highly visible and recognizable protagonist as the representative for Final Fantasy and for Sony.
Probably because I thought Black Mage (or similarly Vivi from FFIX) could make him a character that use magic/elements attacks like Robin (minus the sword) and Zelda. I also thought that he (that was one of the classes and came in FF1 internationally) along with Cloud are iconic in the FF franchise (Cloud being the reason why JRPG and FF7 are getting really popular and that the PS1 sales skyrocketed which is what you said). While I'm sure Black Mage isn't possible of being confirmed in Smash 4 because he doesn't present of what make JRPG in general and the franchise (FF) popular, and the console's sale impact, I (and some people who are either FF fans or non FF fans) thought he could be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom