• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Brawl is a fantastic game that did many good things for Smash, and it's worthy of being played just as much as the other entries in the series. We got a ton of awesome newcomers (Meta Knight, Ike, Olimar, Lucas, Dedede, Pit and R.O.B. just to name some), being able to save replays, online underwhelming execution aside, third-parties for the first time, all good stuff.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Video games need more necromancers. My 10038294th playthrough of Diablo 2 reminded me of this.

finalark

SNORLAX
So then in that case wouldn't she have gone over it by then?
Hell now that I think about it I don't think they ever directly state she in fact has PTSD. All I can find is "she shows symptoms". Which is far different from an actual diagnosis.
The biggest issue with this discussion is that all we can do is speculate since Samus' character was so loosely defined in every other game.

Ignoring PC, I find the PS4 to have the most interesting exclusives, with XBone having the second most (Halo 5!!!) and Wii U having the least.
Unfortunently, the Xbone's biggest problem is the same problem other Xboxes had: Halo and Gears of War are pretty much its only really solid exclusives. Although I know Fable has its fans.

IMO, swap Wii U with Xbone and then you'd be spot on. The Wii U's issue is that all of its exclusives are platformers and platformers only.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The biggest issue with this discussion is that all we can do is speculate since Samus' character was so loosely defined in every other game.

Unfortunently, the Xbone's biggest problem is the same problem other Xboxes had: Halo and Gears of War are pretty much its only really solid exclusives. Although I know Fable has its fans.

IMO, swap Wii U with Xbone and then you'd be spot on. The Wii U's issue is that all of its exclusives are platformers and platformers only.
As a massive fan of Halo, that's all it needs to be above Wii U (not really). There's also Forza which I love,and Scalebound looks interesting. And while they're not exclusives, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV are both being released on PS4/XBone but not on Wii U.

finalark

SNORLAX
As a massive fan of Halo, that's all it needs to be above Wii U (not really). There's also Forza which I love,and Scalebound looks interesting. And while they're not exclusives, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV are both being released on PS4/XBone but not on Wii U.
This is why Nintendo needs to get their **** together when it comes to third party.

But I will agree that Scalebound looks like its a ton of fun. I'm actually pretty hyped for Halo 5, I played the beta on my friend's Xbone and it was a blast.

I'll still probably end up getting a PS4 because it has more games that interest me, but boy does Halo make me jelly.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, while I do intend on getting the console eventually, the only currently available PS4 exclusive that really interests me is Bloodborne, and there aren't many upcoming exclusives that have my attention. This is probably not an unpopular opinion on this forum.

As for an actual unpopular opinion, while it's far from a perfect game, I don't think Ocarina of Time is as overrated as some make it out to be. I also don't think Majora's Mask is underrated at all.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
As for an actual unpopular opinion, while it's far from a perfect game, I don't think Ocarina of Time is as overrated as some make it out to be. I also don't think Majora's Mask is underrated at all.
Personally you could say the same for a lot of games considered "underrated". Earthbound and Xenoblade especially come to mind.

finalark

SNORLAX
Personally you could say the same for a lot of games considered "underrated". Earthbound and Xenoblade especially come to mind.
Xenoblade, Earthbound and Majora's Mask are like, my (un)holy trinity of overrated underrated games.

Although any of those can be replaced with Final Fantasy IX.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think the Sega CD was a good system with some innovative and decent games

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't mind a light-hearted game. Hell, more often than not when a game (or anything really) trying to be that dark and gritty world where everyone is depressed and broods for 95% of the experience, that's when it kills an experience for me.

Now that's not to say I don't mind grit. Hell there's plenty of great examples of those who can take a Crapsack world and do it well. But even then much like anything there's only so much gloominess one can take before you stop caring.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I don't mind a light-hearted game. Hell, more often than not when a game (or anything really) trying to be that dark and gritty world where everyone is depressed and broods for 95% of the experience, that's when it kills an experience for me.

Now that's not to say I don't mind grit. Hell there's plenty of great examples of those who can take a Crapsack world and do it well. But even then much like anything there's only so much gloominess one can take before you stop caring.
I think the best example of this is Fallout. They take a depressing, gritty setting and add character and charm that makes it unique and enjoyable, while still feeling empty and scarce.

Twewy

Smash Lord
That most games nowadays get day 1 DLC
I think you meant to post this in the "Things you're tired of seeing in games" thread, bud.

Speaking of DLC and unpopular opinions, I wish more game companies would release expansion packs these days instead of a bunch of DLCs. About the only company that does this anymore is Blizzard, and Capcom if you want to count their re-releases (Dark Arisen, UMvC3, etc.)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think you meant to post this in the "Things you're tired of seeing in games" thread, bud.

Speaking of DLC and unpopular opinions, I wish more game companies would release expansion packs these days instead of a bunch of DLCs. About the only company that does this anymore is Blizzard, and Capcom if you want to count their re-releases (Dark Arisen, UMvC3, etc.)
Is there really much of a difference?

Twewy

Smash Lord
Usually when a game gets a DLC add-on it's something small like "Oh a new level oh and some skins lol". Expansion packs always had a bit more content to them. For example, Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne had a campaign about as long as vanilla Warcraft 3 and Call of Duty United Offensive brought in a whole new campaign. I mean, I'm okay with a level or two being DLC (See: Prince of Persia 2008's epilogue and Artorias of the Abyss) but if developers are gonna add a bunch of content they should just release it all once in one package instead of spreading it out.

Speaking of CoD I think 1, 4, and WaW are the best. 2, MW2, and BO1 are pretty good, never cared for the other games in the series.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I still don't see much of a difference aside from expansion packs being sold physically...
Go play Warcraft III without its expansion.

Then go play Halo 3 (which I still love to death, btw) without its DLC.

Then, go play WCIII again with it's expansion.

Then, go play Halo 3 with it's DLC.

You might notice that WCIII is a vastly revamped game with it's expansion, featuring two lengthy campaigns for each playable race, re-balanced and retooled game play and a much faster meta.

Halo 3 has a bunch of new maps I guess.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Go play Warcraft III without its expansion.

Then go play Halo 3 (which I still love to death, btw) without its DLC.

Then, go play WCIII again with it's expansion.

Then, go play Halo 3 with it's DLC.

You might notice that WCIII is a vastly revamped game with it's expansion, featuring two lengthy campaigns for each playable race, re-balanced and retooled game play and a much faster meta.

Halo 3 has a bunch of new maps I guess.
Campaigns can still be added through DLC and rebalancing/retooling can be done through patches. Battlefield 4 is nowhere near the same game it was at release, and DLC has doubled, if not tripled the amount of maps there are, along with new game modes and weapons.

Maybe there's something I'm not getting, but to me they're one and the same.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Blizzard was always good with expansion packs. Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction had two new classes, a buttload of new items, and a whole new Act.

Like I said, Blizzard and maybe Capcom are the only ones that really do expansion packs these days. Dark Arisen feels more like an expansion pack than anything I've played in a long time, even if it's the original game with extra content. Coming from vanilla to DA felt like buying an old fashioned expansion pack.

I'm saying I'd rather just have all the content at once in one package instead of having to pay for it individually or in small little packs. If something like Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne came out today and had DLC, we would have got something like:

•The Night Elves return! Follow Maiev as she attempts to recapture Illidan Stormrage! Coming March 27th for $5.99!
•All new Blood Elf campaign! Follow the High Elves as they attempt to flee Lordaeron and make new allies! Coming April 29th for $5.99!
•Prince Arthas travels to claim the Frozen Throne, and Sylvannas rebels from the Scourge in the new Undead campaign! Coming May 30th for $5.99!
•Follow Rexxar as he makes new companions and finds his home in the Horde in this brand new bonus campaign! Coming October 12th, $6.99!
•New multiplayer maps will be released over the year! Each map will be released at $0.99, and include all new heroes!

You get the point. Frozen Throne is great by the way, you should all go and play it.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Blizzard was always good with expansion packs. Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction had two new classes, a buttload of new items, and a whole new Act.
Your forgetting about the most important thing LoD added: Expanded trunk space.

Seriously, in vanilla D2 you barely had room for a set of backup armor.

But yeah, I think the thing that makes Blizz's expansions so good is that they know how to use them to make already good games amazing. Like, D2 was well liked when it first launched but so much of what would go on to define the game came through LoD.

Same thing goes for D3. At launch it was polarizing, but once RoS came around all of it's issues were ironed out and now it's an incredibly awesome game.

You get the point. Frozen Throne is great by the way, you should all go and play it.
Not to mention that Chilly Chair turned the undead from a weak race that wasn't sure how much it wanted to crib from the Zerg to OH HEY I NOTICED YOUR BASE WAS LACKING IN SKELETONS SO I BROUGHT MY OWN.

But seriously, Warcraft III is an amazing strategy game and everyone who reads this post should go out and play it. It's dirt cheap now and will run on your toaster.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Regarding fighting games for a second: I could never understand the concept behind replacing a character just to put in another character in their place with a similar gameplay style. I mean, why?! It baffles the mind!

One, if people didn't like the idea of moveset clones already, how does replacing a character somehow make that better? Lucario already got under how water for quote "replacing Mewtwo" end quote. How would they fare better?

Two, if they're going to go through the trouble of replacing a character just to introduce the same concept, why bother going through the trouble of getting rid of the former and simply keep them? It seems like a waste of time for something that's basically reincarnation.

Three, why can't they both exist together? I mean, games have had clones and their original counterparts before. It's not like if we have both the universe is going to collapse.
For example, I remember when people were trying to bring down Sheik claiming that she could and probably would be cut (often for reasons involving relevancy). But who did they want to replace her with? Impa. With a similar moveset and all. Because it's not like both can't be in am I right?

It's sounds inane sure, but I've seen it used as a legitimate argument; Even on Smashboards. And to this day I still can't figure out who people think it's a good idea.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Regarding fighting games for a second: I could never understand the concept behind replacing a character just to put in another character in their place with a similar gameplay style. I mean, why?! It baffles the mind!

One, if people didn't like the idea of moveset clones already, how does replacing a character somehow make that better? Lucario already got under how water for quote "replacing Mewtwo" end quote. How would they fare better?

Two, if they're going to go through the trouble of replacing a character just to introduce the same concept, why bother going through the trouble of getting rid of the former and simply keep them? It seems like a waste of time for something that's basically reincarnation.

Three, why can't they both exist together? I mean, games have had clones and their original counterparts before. It's not like if we have both the universe is going to collapse.
For example, I remember when people were trying to bring down Sheik claiming that she could and probably would be cut (often for reasons involving relevancy). But who did they want to replace her with? Impa. With a similar moveset and all. Because it's not like both can't be in am I right?

It's sounds inane sure, but I've seen it used as a legitimate argument; Even on Smashboards. And to this day I still can't figure out who people think it's a good idea.
After seeing how Impa works in Hyrule Warriors, I can't really imagine a world where there are people who think that she is anything like Sheik.

I've said this in another thread sometime ago, but I'll say it again here. As far as I'm concerned, clones aren't a problem in and of themselves, it's just when the clone in question does things that they aren't exactly known for(:ganondorfmelee: comes to mind)is when I might have an issue with them.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I find the puzzles in the Zelda series more frustrating than they are fun, and on top of that I'm not very good at figuring puzzles out.

And also because the opening to most Zelda games are too long and tedious.

finalark

SNORLAX
I find the puzzles in the Zelda series more frustrating than they are fun, and on top of that I'm not very good at figuring puzzles out.

And also because the opening to most Zelda games are too long and tedious.
I don't know how much LoZ games you've played, but the only puzzle I ever found frustrating in LoZ was that stupid statue puzzle from Twilight Princess. Because honestly, most "puzzles" in LoZ boil down to "rub the dungeon item on everything until progress happens."

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: I missed the fight about sexualization?! Probably for the better, since I don't want to get dragged down into an argument. I did want to say one thing - theoretically, I don't have a problem with fanservice. I enjoyed a fair portion of MGS3 because of its ruggedly handsome, in-shape, and Beyonce-booty'd protagonist.

But the problem is that sometimes, especially with regards to female characters, that's all there is. It's one thing to say "everyone likes attractive characters." I agree. Most people don't want to play as an ugly character. But attractive doesn't have to mean sexually attractive, and moreover sexualized. Rosalina is attractive, but she's not showing T&A and wearing something a stripper with no fashion taste would wear. She's wear an off-the-shoulder gown. Maybe in the 1600 this would have been provocative, but the year is 2015 and she's almost downright prudish. Yet she's got a very... devoted fanbase. Goes to show you don't need to portray a woman as a go-go dancer for her to be seen as good-looking.

If you're not a woman, maybe you don't really care that giant boobs and tiny waists are everywhere. Maybe it's your new normal. But I'm just tired of it. It's boring. Not to mention there's nothing tasteful about it. Everyone mocks sexualized music videos, but how are video games any better than a Nicki Minaj music video? They both use the human body in a base and crude way, trying to get people titillated so they'll pay attention. As opposed to using the human body in an artistic or even grotesque way. e.g. Snake is forcibly shirtless for part of MGS3, but the circumstances of that shirtlessness are horrifying and grotesque, and you're not supposed to be saying "yeah, take it off reeeeaaaal slow, daddy," but rather "dear lord what are these awful things I have just witnessed and how am I going to survive." Similarly, the Boss shows cleavage in the final fight, but the focus is not on her boobs but on a C-section scar. It's supposed to be a sad, humanizing moment. EVA, on the other hand, obviously shows cleavage for the purpose of titillation, and she's even got some very low-budget jiggle physics going on. Now, I don't consider the Rihanna video BBHMM (not safe for work) a work of art, but I will bring it up as an example of nudity where the primary purpose wasn't to make you feel sexysexy, but horror (since the woman in question has been kidnapped, beaten over the head with a blunt object, and was being tortured).

I just say, how about giving us the option to put some clothes on? Maybe you can have some women that don't look like they're on-duty at the Detroit gentleman's club. It's not all or nothing. You can have sexy women, but maybe let us play as women that aren't sexy, or that aren't sexy all the time. And in the interest of being fair, maybe a bit more male fanservice, hmm? The human body is a beautiful thing, regardless of your personal sexual orientation, amirite? :troll: Balance is the key.

Some people were, honest to goodness, suggesting Snake's moveset should be given to an Advance Wars character.

1. This so does not satisfy Snake fans. They want to play as Snake, not someone else who happens to have Snake's moveset.
2. This probably won't satisfy AW fans either since they're getting a rehashed old moveset, not an actual new moveset
3. wtf?!

I was going through lists of Gamecube games and collectors threads and such and I feel like the GC really is such a solid system. Yet I feel like people give it a hard time (inferior graphics and not enough games!). Same for the N64 nowadays (nostalgia goggle garbage!). Don't even mention the Wii (shovelware!) or Wii U (no ware!). Honestly, sometimes it seems like the only Nintendo consoles people still like are the NES and SNES. I don't know what the Good and Holy Internet has to say on these matters, but it's frustrating hearing someone say "yeah, I'm a Nintendo fan" and then proceed to trash talk nearly all of their consoles.

Last edited:

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I don't know how much LoZ games you've played, but the only puzzle I ever found frustrating in LoZ was that stupid statue puzzle from Twilight Princess. Because honestly, most "puzzles" in LoZ boil down to "rub the dungeon item on everything until progress happens."
Thing is, I'm not very smart, so even something as simple as that is frustrating for me.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was going through lists of Gamecube games and collectors threads and such and I feel like the GC really is such a solid system. Yet I feel like people give it a hard time (inferior graphics and not enough games!).
Kim, I respect you, and imma let you finish, but the GCN had some of the best graphics of it's time.

No, seriously. Anyone who seriously complains about the GCNs graphics never saw RE4 running side by side with the PS2 version. ****, I still think RE4 is one of the best looking games I've ever played ten years later.

Snake is forcibly shirtless for part of MGS3, but the circumstances of that shirtlessness are horrifying and grotesque, and you're not supposed to be saying "yeah, take it off reeeeaaaal slow, daddy," but rather "dear lord what are these awful things I have just witnessed and how am I going to survive."
To be fair, you could also totally strip Naked Snake down and play through the entire game as the sexiest man ever rendered by a computer shirtless.

But in all seriousness, I still stand by what I say that fan service is mostly harmless. That being said, whenever fan service is used in a horribly distasteful way (I.E. using a torture scene as an excuse to rip up some clothes, trying to make an ambiguously underage character sexy, ect.) that's where I draw the line.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Kim, I respect you, and imma let you finish, but the GCN had some of the best graphics of it's time.
C'mon, you know Kanye would never say anything bad about his wife. :troll:

No, seriously. Anyone who seriously complains about the GCNs graphics never saw RE4 running side by side with the PS2 version. ****, I still think RE4 is one of the best looking games I've ever played ten years later.
I still think the Pikmin games are absolutely gorgeous.

To be fair, you could also totally strip Naked Snake down and play through the entire game as the sexiest man ever rendered by a computer shirtless.
I mean, it's in his name, isn't it. :troll: Although the game unfortunately punishes you if you try to go the fanservice route since your camo index goes down, you get hurt easier, you're more likely to get a cold, your teammates won't let you hear the end of it... I did once accidentally trigger a cutscene while shirtless, which was hilarious.

But in all seriousness, I still stand by what I say that fan service is mostly harmless. That being said, whenever fan service is used in a horribly distasteful way (I.E. using a torture scene as an excuse to rip up some clothes, trying to make an ambiguously underage character sexy, ect.) that's where I draw the line.
Unpopular opinion - I'm glad they removed the swimsuit option for Lyn (Lin?) in XCX. A bikini option for a thirteen year old girl.... while thirteen year old girls most certainly wear bikinis, I have a feeling the developers' intentions were less innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom