• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are YOUR opinions on G&W and the new Tier List 3.0

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
If you have the time, don't skim over this thread. Answer the questions and help all of us out!

In case you haven't seen it G&W is placed at the 8th slot on the newest (3.0) tier list. While 6 characters are part of the S tier, G&W is in 2nd place on the A tier: right below Marth and right above Pikachu and Olimar. Now obviously a lot of thought went into creating this list, and most of it probably wasn't from you guys (the G&W boards). Of course, we have representatives to talk for us in the SBR like Hylian, OBM, DMG, etc... but what about the rest of us? I think we should get a say-so or at least a place to express our opinions on the matter.

What I want from you guys, everyone who helps in any discussion on the G&W boards, is to get your opinion on the following (take as many questions as you would like):

1) Do you think G&W should have been higher or lower on the tier list?

2) Do you main G&W, secondary him, or just know a lot about him? If you main G&W, do you use other characters in tournament besides G&W and if so which ones? If you secondary G&W, who do you main?

3) Why do you think the SBR put G&W so low compared to the last tier list? Do you think it is because of his poor tournament placings? Or maybe because people have figured out how to avoid his kill moves? Or people are dropping him for a different character? What do you think?

4) In your personal experience, what are G&W's three hardest match-ups? If you can, provide a reason for each.

5) What do you think G&W's biggest weaknesses as a character are when comparing him to other top tier characters, mainly those in S/A tier? Is it the match-ups, the stages, or other limitations of the character?

The main reason for asking all of these questions is to find out what happened to G&W and what changes we need to make so that we can win tournaments with him. I'll post my response later after I hear some of yours.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Good thread, I'm interested in seeing this information as well.

Oh, and Zac...you haven't noticed you've been able to see a certain forum on smashboards recently?

:laugh:

cutter

Smash Champion

When you actually analyze the tier list, I think at this moment right now in the game G&W is in the appropriate area on the tier list. I actually was expecting him to tank further into oblivion, but I agree with G&W's actual placing. I just wanted G&W to drop further so people could start to underestimate him finally lol.

2) Do you main G&W, secondary him, or just know a lot about him? If you main G&W, do you use other characters in tournament besides G&W and if so which ones? If you secondary G&W, who do you main?

I use MK and G&W in singles, and majorly G&W in doubles. I have also been exploring possible other secondaries for singles like Snake, DDD, or even ROB, but right now I just want to focus mostly on MK and G&W; slightly more of an emphasis on MK for singles, and more of an emphasis on G&W for doubles.

3) Why do you think the SBR put G&W so low compared to the last tier list? Do you think it is because of his poor tournament placings? Or maybe because people have figured out how to avoid his kill moves? Or people are dropping him for a different character? What do you think?

A cumulative number of reasons lead to G&W dropping again on the tier list. The first reason is that any of G&W's shock factor since the beginning of Brawl has almost completely evaporated. People have adapted to G&W's disjointed hitboxes, learned how not to get ***** by Bair, and how to steer clear of his smashes (even though we find ways to trick people into getting hit by them ala charged Usmash). This has lead into a lot previous matchups that were once thought of to be clear G&W advantages into something more unclear, and even G&W's bad matchups to possibly become worse.

The second reason is that G&W has dropped in popularity in tournaments. It hasn't been significant per se, but the decline has been noticeable. If you're not a huge factor in tournaments, then you really don't have too much of a case to go up or even stay the same spot on the tier list.

Third, the tier list is based off of singles. We know that G&W brings a lot more to the table in teams, but his abilities in comparison to doubles are much more limited than in singles. The tier list would be a lot different if teams were factored in, but that's a different story for a different day.

4) In your personal experience, what are G&W's three hardest match-ups? If you can, provide a reason for each.

I'm not going to go into super indepth analysis, but I'll provide some 2 cents. In order of difficulty:

1. Snake. He has almost everything at his disposal to make G&W's life miserable at times. Grenades force G&W to approach and can be used to stop approaches. Being the one to have to approach someone in a defensive game like Brawl makes it very frustrating for me at times. The damage output that Snake can provide, especially on his Dthrow techchase and Ftilt is something G&W can ill-afford to suffer when making mistakes. A good, campy Snake that knows what he's doing on a neutral is hard for G&W. It is obvious he has to work much harder than Snake to win.

2. Marth. The good thing about Marth is that he has no projectile, so he can't do bad stuff to you from far away, but that doesn't mean he can still camp G&W with a percent lead. His Dtilt is pretty dumb, outranging G&W's ground game for the most part and is safe on block. Side B is tough to get out of because it combos naturally and does a meaty amount of damage (though not as much as Snake's Ftilt or Dthrow thank god) which is never good for a light frame like G&W. We all know about Marth's ridiculous up B out of shield and how it is able to stifle approaching. Hopefully though by mixing in some Bair cancelling into approaching, it can help to draw a pre-emptive up B into an easy smash for punishment. Lastly, Marth's Utilt is another uncool move for G&W. It is an excellent anti-air move that also doubles as a potent kill move.

3. Diddy Kong. God it pisses me off so much how Diddy's bananas have infinite priority and are able to cut through everything G&W has. The matchup is entirely decided simply because of the priority on Diddy's bananas (and it's also obviously the reason why he is so good to begin with). When you have a character that is able to control projectiles with spacing mixed in the form of glide tossing coupled with the fact G&W has limited options against bananas AND a ****ty techroll + medicore get-up attack, you get another vexing matchup. The only real positive thing I can say for G&W is that he doesn't need to connect with as many hits because of his damage output plus the possibility of sneaking in a powerful smash to counterbalance a game. There's also the ability to CP Diddy to a less linear stage and limit his banana game to an extent. Still troublesome for G&W, especially on a neutral stage that is linear in nature.

5) What do you think G&W's biggest weaknesses as a character are when comparing him to other top tier characters, mainly those in S/A tier? Is it the match-ups, the stages, or other limitations of the character?

G&W's biggest weaknesses stem from the fundamentals of the game itself. Brawl is by nature a defensive game where shields are amazing, blockstun is extremely low, and you're safe with projectiles. While G&W does technically have a projectile, Chef hasn't found many applicable uses in competitive play. I have seen it mainly as a tool to augment G&W's spacing. In any case, when G&W is behind in percentage, he will have to approach physically on the opponent. This usually favors the other character playing defense, especially if they have punishment tools to deal with an approach from G&W or a way to reset the situation and go back to camping. This flaw of having to actually approach is the reason why G&W has his bad matchups in the first place. Every single one of his bad matchups (and possible bad matchups) are that way mainly because G&W will need to approach because his opponent is camping in some way, and that does not favor him in Brawl.
My responses are in awesome bold tropical green :cool:

NatP

Smash Ace
I think he is where he should be. Maybe a little higher, but still, top of high tier is good enough for me.

I use mainly g&w for everything, but when I'm facing snake, marf or meta, I go DK.

I think that g&w is dropping because, when you can play as meta or snake, why would you play G&W. :ohwell: He's just not that popular.

I'd say.... Snake, marth and meta Snake because even though you can combo him, he still has those freaking nades that break your combos and damage you, while he just shields the explosion! ohandftiltsuxz. Marth because he just out ranges you i n almost everything and he can kill you really early with that upb out of shield. Good thing he doesn't have a projectile @.@ I don't think I need to say why meta pwns g&w o.-

His main weakness is that he has bad matchups with characters that appear excessively on tourneys. Another thing that sucks is the fact that people now know how to play g&w. In the beggining he pwned because people had no idea how to play him. Well, those times are over now. x.x
My answers are in cyan

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice

Right now hes just right. Not that high and not low. So less people are going to even consider GaW. Then he'll be way underestimated.

Main. GaW. All the time.

People are getting used to his Bair and they're aren't a lot of GaW in tourneys. Also why use GaW when you can use the overpowered snake or meta is probably a common reason for dropping him or not even considering him.

Snake-Nade>Bair. Tilts>everything. Heavy. Killing power.
Meta-D-tilt out range. OoS Up-B>b-air
Marth-Same as Meta. Cept heavier.

Biggest Weakness is simply weight and predictability.
His attacks are telegraphed.
People have begun to predict his B-air. and shield.
He is the 2nd lightest. (althought bucket braking+di kinda beat down his weight)
GaW's lack of grab range.

D

Deleted member

I think G&W should be below pikachu and olimar, who both generally do better in a tournament enviroment imo, so he's a little too high, but overall its not a bad spot for him.
I recently started to comain G&W, I am a yoshi main mostly tho. Im the best yoshi in socal atm, and one of the best placing yoshis in the US. I recently won a tournament with G&W tho (most of the good players were sleeping after a late night tourny :p). I dont know too much about G&W, as im sure some of the better G&Ws do, but i know enough.
A main reason for this drop was obviously G&Ws declining tournament results. In no region is a G&W really dominating, and he hasnt been placing amazingly in big tournaments either for the most part. Even pokemon trainer has a region that hes dominating in, but G&W is sorta getting quite a few top 7ish placings, but not enough big ones. Obviously, people have been figuring out how to punish a lot of what Game and Watch does, and abusing those long lasting moves to punish.
Marth: Marth is reallly hard. He has too much safe stuff vs G&W, and punishes really hard. He zones G&W really well with neutral air, can punish bair OOS unless its spaced perfectly, and can juggle G&W with his powerful up air. Both potentially kill very early, but usually it seems like marth lands his easier. With smart playing and good punishes out of grabs tho, G&W can keep up, and early kill can often allow G&W to make come backs.

Snake: Snake is dumb, grenades suck, he kills us way too early with up tilt, hes hard to grab, ftilt is too gud, etc. You cant really go for anything risky, because snake can often just ftilt you (my favorite, run behind to pivot grab, isnt really worht it on snake, because if he decides to ftilt instead of shield, im 1/4 dead). We can punish him while hes aerial, but thats not enough to turn the matchup.

Samus: I know people wont agree, but samus is kinda bad for G&W. Firstly, samus can up b almost everything out of shield. This is super frusterating and good. Secondly, samus lives foreverrr. Shes hard to fair offstage sorta, depending on the angle. Third, she camppps soo hard. Zair beats everything and combined with missles and a few charge shots, G&W is gonna be hard pressed to get in, and when he does, up b :) Luckily samus cant kill very well but fsmash and dtilt are good.

Matchups are the main thing. Losing to both marth and snake pretty solidly, and potentially losing to MK (which i dont agree with) and diddy, can be a tough burden in tournies. G&W also suffers from not enough good options. He has some amazing options, but he also doesnt have that many of them, making him as a character a little predictable.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Holy cow this is colorful. I really like it lol. Good job guys, haven't gotten a chance to read them but I bet they're good.

I really want to see the G&W boards stepping it up. There are so many boards under Character Discussion that aren't active, and I don't want the G&W boards to be one of them. The more we research about our character and develop strategies for him, the better.

Mr. Wonderful

Smash Cadet

Lower. For reasons to be discussed in 3

Main, have since about a month into the game. I rarely use other characters, so we'll say no.

D) All of the above.

Face it. Game and Watch has not being doing nearly as well in tourney placings lately. I believe that this is 100% due to the fact that people have discovered how to avoid every kill move he has. Now that the game has begun to advance, people are playing faster on top of better, and G&W falls kind of short in the "fast" area.

The 2 obvious; Snake and Marth. But the third one is going to come as kind of a surprise to most, I'd imagine.

Wolf. (god i hope JCav doesn't find this.)

He plays one of the best Wolfs around. Wolf is just faster and more ranged then G&W, which are his two worst disadvantages. He weighs a bit, which means most kill moves won't even kill until a higher percentage then usual. If a Wolf can use his reflector correctly, its next to impossible to juggle him at 30%+, wolfs bair can overcome game and watch's often, unless the G&W is using the move strictly defensively, in which case wolf has a laser to counter that. The only way G&W can even win that much up is straight up fair gimps. And the only way G&W can even punish wolf on the ground is by shielding an f-smash, which a good wolf rarely risks.

Match ups aren't really an issue, IMHO, outside of snake and marth. Its just G&W's flaws. Lack of speed being his biggest.

Ruuku

Smash Lord

I think that G&W is at the right spot since the tier list probably focuses on tournament results. However, I do also think that there is chance for him to get one or two spots up depending on the performance of tournament goers and potential discoveries.

G&W has been my main since the first day the game came out and I realized that Captain Falcon couldn't stomp->knee. LOL I've played a number of characters in tournaments. At this time I think that my DK, Rob, and Fox are all good enough for tournament play.

I think that it is for all of the above. Some players are very consistent with their tournament placings but since only some players recently have realized that there's a need for a secondary if you wish to produce an overall better tournament performance. Now, people may have figured out how to get around some of G&W's game but it doesn't mean that their particular character has an efficient way to do it or to even counterattack.

To be completely honest, compared to other gaming communities, only a few people on these forums actually know what they are talking about and only a few want to study the game. The rest just picks up on discoveries and copies. For that reason, and for the fact that a lot of players praise the ones placing high in tournaments, people will often switch characters around.

Just like almost everyone else, the toughest match-up for me would be MK. He has too many advantages against G&W. It really feels to me that a G&W player can only win with better match-up knowledge and by outsmarting a MK player. Briefly:

- MK has more range/priority with almost all of his attacks
- even if it may actually not be a guaranteed kill, MK can actually try to edgeguard G&W with less worries than most other characters
- a MK standing at about two characters distance away can counter pretty much any approach that G&W will use
- from that same position, MK can poke G&W while staying virtually safe

Marth would come in close second. The match-up is tough for me for reasons similar to MK. However, it is tougher for Marth to edgeguard G&w and it is easier for G&W to edgeguard Marth. Marth's upB isn't quite as good as MK's and Marth isn't quite as fast.

Third place is for Snake. I don't have as much trouble against him as I used to but the match-up still isn't an easy one:

- his trap/projectile game can rack up damage very fast and isn't easy to get around
- his tilts do good damage, have good range, and have killing potential
- his weight and recovery make it rather difficult for him to die
- his down throw creates a very good tech chase game

It is understandable that it was tough for G&W to survive with his light weight but discoveries have served to fix that issue. See, I think that this game generally doesn't reward aggressive behavior. Only certain match-ups are excluded. This game is more about traps, mindgames, and above all; patience.

That is where the true problem starts. G&W's metagame until recently, has been focused on an aggressive play-style or a style trying to compete with the other top characters in their domain. However, lately it seems that some are starting to use stages to their advantage and exploring other factors outside of their actual G&W's moveset.

Save for a few match-ups this game also seems to focus on counter-picking and just have a good knowledge of all aspects of the game. There is less emphasis on execution like Melee had. Let's keep on discussing and experiencing everything this game has to offer. That's the only way to know if there is even a small amount of balance in this game. But again, we need to be daring and try things to advance.

Don't act like other character discussion boards being secretive and all.

By the way, sorry if there's some typos but I just woke up. LOL

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Originally posted by cutter: G&W's biggest weaknesses stem from the fundamentals of the game itself.

Another natural weakness that he has is his lightweighted self. He can die much earlier than his opponent and there's no stopping it.
That's probably another reason why he is where he is.

jpl315

Smash Apprentice
I think he is about right. I definitely don't think he should be any lower.
I secondary him and main DK

Mostly bad tournament results and also lower popularity 4) In your personal experience, what are G&W's three hardest match-ups? If you can, provide a reason for each.
I only play G&W against DDD, Wario, and sometimes ICs
He's weak against snake and meta. I feel that's his main weakness. The bad marth matchup also since he's pretty popular.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider

below pikachu and olimar, they do better vs pokes than gw does. Probably below icies as well, considering how good people are at getting grabs, but thats a maybe.

co-main at the moment with wario. although it seems like wario is better suited for more situations than gw lately. I go gw for ddd, falco, pikachu, icies, rob, kirby, pit, peach, and luigi (the upper half of the list at least). But, y'know, i wouldn't be surprised if my wario started doing better vs falco, pika, rob, pit, peach, luigi etc.

gw has just become super limited vs so many characters. Its no surprise that gw is an offensive character, playing him on defense is boring and extremely hard to do. Wanna know why? we have nothing that can strenghten our lead like so many characters can do. Sure we can space bairs all day, but with only say a 10 percent lead, we're gunna get hit and then we have to go on offense again.

so considering that gw has to be played offensively, we look at what beats offense. Pokes. Every character in the top tier has something that can poke or keep gw at bay.

1. MK - people know about this, its easy. Ftilt, fsmash, and up b oos shut down EVERY one of gws approaches. If mk knows how to play it defensively, gw can't win.

2. Snake - Ftilt flat out beats turtle, box, and dtilt. Grenades held in shield beat the key. Grenades, because they do percent even if he just throws them at you, make it SUPER hard to hold leads or even get them in the first place.

3. Wario - although his ftilt is really his only poke, just hitting him w/o putting yourself in a bad position is nearly impossible, wario in itself is a poke. If you bair, he will move around you, if you dtilt he'll jump and dair, if you fair he'll shield and fair back oos, it goes on. The only safe move you have is nair, and even then its not going to get you very far.

4. Falco - you'd be surprised at the range of his ftilt and how fast it is. If falco players aren't using this move more in the future, id say they are dumber for it. This combined with lasers (to an extent), side b's thrown out, chaingrab, still a tough matchup, but probably gw's best in the top tier.

5. Diddy - pfft good luck here. If diddy has a banana in his hand, you can't approach him without taking damage. Anything you do to his shield will eat a banana right afterwards or even before if they want to since they have infinite priority. Great ability to shut down gw's offense.

6. DDD - ftilt and bair can technically beat anything you do. If you mess up a little bit on their shield, either side, they can grab or pivot around and grab you so quick. Then you take 17 damage. If played right ddd should win.

7. Marth - we all know how this goes. Sure the bair beats everything they can throw at you, but why would they do that? All they have to do is zone with fairs and tilts, and then when you try something on their shield, up b is too easy.

9. Pikachu - pika doesn't have any chaingrabs or good pokes, so i'd say this is probably his best matchup in this tier.

10. Olimar - again, good luck here. No matter how good you are at throwing nairs out, you will eventually start taking damage from their camping. Then pivot grabs will beat any of your approaches. Its tough to get a lead on olimar.

11. Icies - gw does do well here, but only for one reason: AI is involved. Since gw can safely approach with bair, nana will eventually get hit and then they are separated. Still though mistakes are costly here. Nobody can really say icies have matchups worse than 60:40.

12. Rob - proper zoning with ftilts is certainly possible, but not the best. Still though with proper use of projectiles, and pivot grabs, it can turn into a tough match.

13. Kirby - doesn't really have that many good pokes that beat gw, so i'd say this is still in gw's favor.

So just looking at the top two tiers how many could i say anything positive about? maybe kirby, rob, icies, falco. Thats not so good.

In addition to what i wrote above heres his worst:

1. Snake - ftilt, nair, jab, grabs they do so much damage, gw can't really be taking so much. Grenades make it so hard to camp w/o taking damage, gw can't edgeguard him that well compared to others (mk, wario, rob)

2. Marth - the only way to truly get in on marth is by a sheer fakeout, one they were completely unable to react to, which is only gunn happen so many times. Every other time they will be able to shut you down solely based on the mechanics of their character.

3. Diddy - bananas, thats all he really needs to shut down everything you can throw at him.

Eh, this was already kinda addressed above.

The main reason for asking all of these questions is to find out what happened to G&W and what changes we need to make so that we can win tournaments with him. I'll post my response later after I hear some of yours.
So yeah, i posted ALOT of negative things, i realize. But things are not all bad with gw. Once he does get inside, you can expect that your opponent will take a good 50 damage with good use of up airs/nairs, tech chasing, etc. He's still got an amazing recovery, still edgeguards better than most, and he has bucket braking to better his longevity.

However, as more and more people become accustomed to the mechanics of their characters, matchups that once seemed to be in gw's favor, are now likely not, because he has such poor options when approaching. Unless we can find a way to approach better, things will only get worse for us.

Splice

Smash Hero

I expected him to be lower but i think he is about right. I think he is better than all those below him, he is possibly better than Marth and D3 imo, but because not many new useful ATs are being discovered with GaW, he doesnt have much to become better with than the people who play him and the basic fact that he has good stats. (moves and speed etc.) But unless we find some ATs and useful tricks with GaW, he will not go higher than those he is already below, so therefore he can only go lower, and that is exactly what he has done, but because he is a solid character he still won't sink too low. He is definitely better than Pikachu.

I only use GaW in tournaments. It may be because i only go to tournaments in Melbourne (Australia), where i only have to worry about one good Snake and the occasional Marth, and i think if i lost to them it wouldn't be because of the match-up, it'd be from skill difference. I have not had much trouble with Marth before except that the person who was using Marth was better than me, but Marths moveset never outright screwed me over, same with Snake now that i have discovered some ways around grenade camping. I believe that it is possible for me to win a tournament using only GaW, and i think people can do it in America too.
Or at least, you wont lose on match-ups alone. Skill comes into it more with GaWs matchups.

I think that the other characters are growing more in terms of ways they could be used, whilst GaW has stagnated. Its not that he's gotten worse, but others have gotten better, and are now better than him. When he was higher, he was the least used of all those around him, but i dont think this has an effect really ; if only a few people used GaW but always placed top 4 and won a lot of big tournaments, that would affect the results more. Plus if people use more than one character that shows GaW doesnt have the full capabilities that those people need to win a tournament. Although i still think its possible, like i said before.

Marth - definitely the worst because he is hard to approach as he pretty much has an attack that outranges you for all directions. He can also start using counter if you play too predictably and you have to space and punish perfectly to catch him off guard and actually hit him. However, if you can predict certain moves and shield or spot dodge them, he can be grabbed, or attacked, and if he uses UpB and you shield you can Uair him off stage, and he is quite easy to gimp, if you can just hit him left a bit...

Snake - Due to explosions and bombs, he is really volatile, and this is bad for GaW as GaW is light and obviously its bad anyway. But GaW does have the ability to use Snakes traps against him, whether through baiting or by punishing their faulty use of traps. This is a hard match-up for GaW, but only if the Snake uses his explosives very well, meaning there is a lot of room for GaW to catch the Snake and midair juggle him should he slip up. But then, with moves like Utilt and Jab, Snake can kill GaW easily, and unless you can DI and Bucket Brake well, you die quite early, and even then its your 100% to his 170%, and this can get annoying.

Meta Knight - His Dsmash can be used whenever you use yours and it will hit first, and his Dash attacke gets you if you ever miss a smash move. Plus if you get him in the air, you don't get an advantage - He can still **** you. Plus gimping him is almost impossible if its a good MK. But if you space you can beat his tornado, and this takes a chunk out of his game.

GaW doesnt have any tactics like CG and MKs Tornado, so he relies on airial combos (which can be predicted and escaped) and even though he has awesome moves to do this, its just not as good as MKs Tornado and Airials, Snakes mindgames and powerful moves + weight, Warios airials and Motorbike/fart gimmicks, Falcos CG and spikes, Diddy Kongs banana combos and ATs, and D3 has a CG and some other stuff but imo GaWs Bucket Brake and Airial awesomness + Judgement and awesome Smashmoves are better than Dedede and Diddy, but for the rest, their best aspects are just better than GaWs, not to mention people are finding more of these kinds of things for most of those characters, but GaW is not gaining any tier changing tactics.

If i'm wrong about anything with Snake Marth and MK, sorry.
Also i didnt read any of the other things people said because i did not want it to influence me, so if i wrote the same thing as someone, Its coz thats what i think.

EDIT: Also, on an Australian tier list, i think GaW would be higher (maybe 4-5), because i have never been forced to approach before, and because that is one of GaWs main weaknesses, he doesnt have to worry as much, plus against Diddy and Olimar i do fine, and my Olimar-maining friend who places around as high as i do has a lot of trouble against me, so i think because of the fact even less people use GaW in Aus than America, it has actually heightened his game coz even some of our Snake mains and other bad matchups dont really know how to play against an Aggresive GaW :laugh:

Cyan_

Smash Lord

I think he's okay where he is. I think he has the potential to go over Marth though, we just need more and better representation in tournaments.

I main G&W, and I only use him in tournaments. No one else.

I think we need more representation. More G&Ws and they have to place better. We need someone to get top 5 in a national tournament using only or mostly G&W. He also dropped because people are starting to figure out or approach and everything we do. Our approach is too obvious.

I can't narrow it down to 3, but the top 4 is Snake, MK, Diddy, and Marth. No order. To me, they're all very hard and if they're all played at the top of their level, then it's almost impossible for us to win.

Snake: ftilt outta shield, grenades so we get hurt if we try to do damage, and way too hard for us to kill. Killing him at 120% is considered pretty low.

MK: If the MK knows what he's doing, it's so hard to do damage. SL just wrecks us. Ftilt too.

Diddy: Bananas, like OBM said have infinite priority and our aerials have a lot of priority but it doesn't matter cause if Diddy just chucks one at us he also gets a throw or a smash in. This match up is the most frustrating for me. Just "trying to stay in the air" won't work either.

Marth: At least we don't have to approach this one. It's still hard though, with his aerials, tilts, and upB ooS.

I think it's the match ups. We lose to probably the most common characters used in tournament play; MK, Snake, and Marth.
Responses in Cyan.

lou4222

Smash Lord
If you have the time, don't skim over this thread. Answer the questions and help all of us out!

I think that the new tier list is fairly accurate, especially in regards to GW. I definitely think that the initial shock of GW has worn off a bit and people are able to avoid is unreal smash attacks. At the same time, I dont really think he should be dropping any more in the future. It seems like he is losing momentum, but people shouldnt under estimate him because hes still a great character.

2) Do you main G&W, secondary him, or just know a lot about him? If you main G&W, do you use other characters in tournament besides G&W and if so which ones? If you secondary G&W, who do you main? I main GW. I have been maining him since around December and do not use anyone else in tournament. I have recently been messing around with Snake because he is a ton of fun and I absolutely despise the MK/GW matchup.

3) Why do you think the SBR put G&W so low compared to the last tier list? Do you think it is because of his poor tournament placings? Or maybe because people have figured out how to avoid his kill moves? Or people are dropping him for a different character? What do you think? I think he has dropped because he has remained fairly stagnant while other characters such as Wario, Falco , and Marth are gaining in popularity. IMO GW is incredibly underplayed. I said above that I think people are learning how to play against GW, but he is still a great character. The main reason he dropped is because his 3 or 4 bad matchups are all against the highest tier characters (MK,Snake,Diddy,Marth) and those are who you mostly run into in tourney.

1) MK is without a doubt the worst matchup IMO. If you are playing a good MK it is almost impossible to hit him with any smash attacks. The hammers and match are way too slow against the MK dsmash and f tilt. We dont really have an approach because of shuttle looping the turtle. This matchup sucks in every way imaginable.
2) Marth is my second least favorite. We all know about this matchup and unfortunately he is getting more popular so we will see much more of this character.
3) A good IC- I say playing a good IC because playing scrub ICs is easy. However if you are playing a good IC than one grab=death. All of the ICs I play against say that GW is the easiest character to chain grab.
5) What do you think G&W's biggest weaknesses as a character are when comparing him to other top tier characters, mainly those in S/A tier? Is it the match-ups, the stages, or other limitations of the character? This is definitely the match ups. All of our bad match ups are against top tiers. The characters that we suck against the most are by far the most popular.

I think the solution to him dropping in the power rankings is to continue posting vids, advice, and matchup experience for each other. Other characters are developing at fast paces while GW is fairly stagnant. Our character is still amazing, we just need to step it up.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
He should have been higher in my opinion... it doesnt make sense that a character as well balanced as him, ripe at the seams with finishing/priority moves, would be moving down in the list... it can only mean one thing...

I main G&W, have been since before the game was released in america (had *** version) and I also use MK, Marth, Diddy, Cpt. Falcon, Link, PK. Trainer, Kirby, MArio, DK, etc.

The one and only real reason is simply the lack of tournament wins. People like OBM cannot do it alone lol... so it will take some balls and some wins to bring him back up. And yeah, many many people have dropped him for other characters...

- snake - he is just so incredibly annoying to face, it seems like you have to do many careful techs to get around a good snake
- olimar - I have a lot of trouble with olimar for some reason
- Metaknight - for obvious reasons MK is still hard for me to face

- his light weight is a biggie, the stages are relatively ok, but the easy light kos and his terrible rolling

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

In case you haven't seen it G&W is placed at the 8th slot on the newest (3.0) tier list. While 6 characters are part of the S tier, G&W is in 2nd place on the A tier: right below Marth and right above Pikachu and Olimar. Now obviously a lot of thought went into creating this list, and most of it probably wasn't from you guys (the G&W boards). Of course, we have representatives to talk for us in the SBR like Hylian, OBM, DMG, etc... but what about the rest of us? I think we should get a say-so or at least a place to express our opinions on the matter.

What I want from you guys, everyone who helps in any discussion on the G&W boards, is to get your opinion on the following (take as many questions as you would like):

1. Higher definitely.

2. I main Mr. Game & Watch and only Mr. Game & Watch.

3. I think the main reason is that he's just plain unpopular. The way he looks and his history as a character mean that people who just look at the cast and pick characters to try randomly (with the plan to stick with one they like) are likely to try him last. The fact that he was in melee and was completely horrible there means people were even less interested. He isn't the optimal character to pick if you just want the absolute top either so the fact that he's good really didn't change his popularity as much as it seems like it should have. The fact that he seems super easy and mindless when you first play him but really isn't actually probably drives people away from him.

This might not sound like an explanation for him falling, but early in the game's life he was still unpopular, he was just overwhelming when used. People didn't really pick him up ever, and his earlier position was the shock factor canceling his unpopularity. Now his unpopularity is just catching up to him.

4. I'm going to go with, in no particular order, Meta Knight, Snake, and Toon Link.

Meta Knight: There is really only reason he's a pain, and that's Shuttle Loop. Shuttle Loop beats the turtle (your main approach move) cleanly. That means you have to be very tricky to approach him, but you do kill a lot lower than he does and have better aerial mobility and range otherwise and are even more damaging so I'm not calling it horrible or anything.

Snake: Snake is a really interesting case. Basically, you totally control the match, but mistakes that are small against everyone else are big against Snake. You have to consistently perfectly space turtles, absolutely never throw out a dumb key or suffer fair landing lag, and never misposition yourself to get random utilted. That makes it hard, but then again, I only see this getting better for Mr. Game & Watch as skill on all sides increases.

Toon Link: He's like a perfect storm. He's disjointed and floaty too, and his projectiles are just generally really effective against you (especially since you can't use your bucket to help at all). No one thing about him is really overwhelming; he just comes together as a character in a way that's a really massive pain to deal with between his ability to occasionally challenge your aerials and his ability to play a really great keepaway game (also having a tether grab, which I find is generally bad for G&W to have to go up against).

I'm crazy though and don't think any of his matchups are very bad, just some are slightly bad.

5. His most obvious big weakness is the fact that he doesn't have a good projectile and thus has to be looking to get in a lot. He also is not particularly fast, has a generally terrible grab, and has issues with his moves not really leading into each other that much. Basically, whenever he's not able to consistently either land turtles or get the opponent in the air, he's in trouble. I don't think it's really unreasonable to do this, but having to is a real weakness, especially against players and characters who are good at stopping it.

Also, Mr. Game & Watch really doesn't combo or even fake combo into kill moves. I really don't think they're unreasonable to land cold given their generally nice properties, but not being able to land something light and quick and end with the opponent dead is a weakness not shared by many (any?) other top characters.

I think his matchups are fine, though. He just has to be careful and smart and not expect things to be better than they are. I do think it's easy to think he's a free win against a lot of characters generally considered low when that's not really true.

The stage issues do hurt him a lot. There's been a general shift toward fewer stages all around (only the most liberal areas even match the SBR's stage list, which was a more conservative list than the previous one anyway), and I swear if they were specifically trying to screw him they couldn't do much better. Mr. Game & Watch thrives on stages that give him something to "work with", be it platforms, pass through floors, ledges, hazards, whatever. That means the common 5 stage starter lists are basically totally anti-Mr. Game & Watch since there's a lot of the stuff he does worst on there, and if you want the stage list to favor you, you pretty much want to support everything being legal. The stage discussion topics mostly showed this; we like almost every counterpick stage! I feel that the more conservative stage lists really hurt him against Meta Knight in particular a lot; it's a lot harder when you either lose all of your good counterpicks or all but one which the Meta Knight player uses his ban on.

As per where to go from here, well, whenever I have ever had trouble at this game in general, my solution has always been to just focus even more heavily on spacing and not leaving myself in positions to get hit as I pressure. I don't know how much we can talk strategy to get better; a lot of this stuff is too subtle to really talk about. In this matchup on this part of this stage, I space my turtle half of his head's length more to the left. If I stand RIGHT HERE and charge fsmash for just this long, it is good at hitting this character out of a ledgejump. Those things are just too small that we don't even consciously know them, but like any competitive game, victory comes from a summation of small advantages. Though, judging by one common theme, we should probably start any bigger strategic talks by talking about our banana game...

If you just want him to move up on the tier list (which is just making people think he's better than they currently do), I think getting more people to play him would be the main thing that would help, but that doesn't seem like something that would be doable. Of course, using him and only him instead of him and some other secondaries can only help. At the very least, make sure to pick a secondary who can grab release infinite Wario or pick up Pikachu to exploit his chaingrabs on Falco (and Meta Knight last time I checked) and exploit both of those things mercilessly and consistently with perfect patience and execution to send both of them dropping down past Mr. Game & Watch. This last paragraph is non-helpful non-advice really, but if any of this actually happened, it would be pretty cool.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
Just there, its good he's not too gay.
I used to secondary him, until i found some of his flaws and didn't want to cope with them
Gaymenwatch, nuff said
Kirby, Snake, and ICs (omg if the ICs know the B-throw infinite, ur screwed, NEVER DAIR)
He's sorta limited in range. No upper diagonal attacks, cept for Nair sorta. And he's waaayyy to liyte.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
AA is always on IRC, so I see him a lot now. Anyway, I may fill this out myself, but AmazingAmpharos' covered a lot of my thoughts on the matter. The one thing I disagree on is Toon Link. I find TL to be relatively easy compared to Marth and Diddy. I do agree that he only slightly loses in his bad matchups.

studly

Smash Ace

i like his new position on the new list. i think its very close to accurate. maybe top of A tier in future lists

Im currently maining G&W with diddy as my tournament secondary.

The SBR really didnt lower G&W in my opinion... they've simply recognized the higher pressuring potential of the characters now above him

his kill moves are obvious . EXTREMELY PREDICTABLE... i think his correct position lies in
A tier and not S tier... he has tools allowing him to compete at higher levels but he cant control the match as well as the S tier characters

Marth, Metaknight, and Snake.. for all the obvious reasons

simply his weight... hes easy to kill off the top on many levels

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

He's about right. Maybe below Oli, Pika, IC, but he's in the right general area. I expected him to take the drop.

I just play him in friendlies, and in the occasional doubles match recently. I go all Marth in singles (well, now the occasional Falco). Still, he's a pretty linear character.

Eh, people just understand the game better, so they don't get wrecked by obvious stuff.

Marth, MK, Snake. Ironically, G&W seems to have quite a few bad matches. I think both Link characters fight him well, Olimar and Diddy wreck him, IC's are very good against him, etc. He also doesn't shut down many characters.

I can't really seem to beat MKs with my G&W. I play extremely smart, but the fact is, they poke and punish too well, and they're too fast for G&W to keep up with. MK really made me realize how slow G&W is.

I main Marth, so I just know how to wreck this character. He telegraphs a lot, so counter *****, especially if he tries to Dair. If he doesn't, we can juggle with Uair, and if you airdodge, we autocancel into something else. We also edgeguard moderately well, and just outspeed, out poke, and out pressure. Then there's the fact thtat you're so light, and we have UpB outta shield. Tippering GW is like K.O. stupidly early, even with bucket breaking.

He's just slow, and he telegraphs. I mean, once you learn to SDI the Bair and not get hit by the ground hitbox for a shield stab, he gets *****. His game is really linear, and it takes genius to make it multidimensional enough to overcome bad match-ups.

My responses are in plain text

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I think he is on the right spot, he is still in the rank A area >.>
I main G&W, I only use G&W and I rarely use different characters at tournaments >.>
A bit of all 3, mostly the first reason, in my own opinion, most people end up using characters such as MK or Snake
1.Olimar, I have a trouble with his grabs and side-b attacks
2.Marth, If he just does fairs and bairs, he's kinda hard to hit
3.Snake, All he has to do is ftilt since G&W is the 2nd or 3rd lightest character in the game, he can be easily KO at 80%-90%

I'd go with limitation, mostly his lightness is the thing I'd go with

NRD4toonlink

Smash Cadet

He is good where he is in my opinion, he can over power some match ups like Captain falcon ( no offense) or like mario or alot of charaters that has recoveries that can easily gimpped. He should stay there cus marth has more speed and less lagiliciousness.But over all, G&W can be higher only if we upped his metagame with a new finding, to find one more way of edguarding would be nice.

I main G&W, recently dropped luigi for this guy so i have alot of love for this guy. He has a better edge game than luigi the way i use him and more ways to get a kill.In tourneys i would go G&W and Snake. Al though my match up agaisnt MK is almost an even match up still favoring MK.

I think its tournament placings, a few months ago a forum i am apart of held a tourney ( before i mained G&W) and in dead last were 3 G&W. I lol'd but i realised G&W had potential. I say its tournament standings, one huge torney i looked at on AiB had one G&W and he was all the way at the bottom.

Well for me its fox :/ simply because the ones i face know my G&W. the will out mindgame me and sneak some lazers while i cant react fast enough to get the bucket. Another is Peach, she has the ability to float and mind game my G&W over the edge and as i recover to the stage from trying to bair they can easily abuse my misssed edgeguard. And another is MK, just because he can rack up damge quicker than G&W and exute the finish more faster.

One limitation is his weight, Sure the momentum cancel, but sometimes you get caught off gaurd, like Marth pulling off a tipped Fsmash tech chase D: . and ur at about 135. thats dead meat. In that case G&W needs a spark in his meta game and probably he will get back up there.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I think he is ok. It's like a low S tier or a high A tier. Sadly MetaKnight is becoming better against him, Snake is there still... He lacks better Tourney results for returning to higher places

I main him, and my secondary is King Dedede. I've no more tourney characters

I think the main reason is other characters made a huge jump, like Ice Climbers, Wario, Diddy, and because G&W metagame hasn't growed much besides Bucket Breaking. G&W is still an awesome character, but because he is much like the same since the beginning of Brawl, people tends to think he is a lot worse. As a consequence, people is dropping G&W, and as a consequence again, Tourney results are worse because its harder to place better with less G&W users around there

Snake, because how hard is punished G&W for any mistake; Diddy, his bananas obviously, a good Diddy can just sit there and make an smart banana spam; MetaKnight and Marth at a same level ( i think Meta is a little harder because is harder to counterpick a stage against him ). As in any hard matchup, you'll need perfect spacing, but against MK our best weapon, the bair, can be punished with MK's SL

I vote for the lack of a long-range option ( a proyectile ), a move that makes your opponent have the need of doing the 1rst move. Chef may help sometimes, but it's bad in general. In a game evolving more and more into a defensive style, it's harder to be succesful with an agressive style. With a G&W style: approaching always, moving first.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

He's probably appropriately placed.

He's my secondary...I main Mario, but I also use G&W simply because he's a character that I like a lot. I only use characters that I like and think deserve to be represented.

G&W in high level play takes an extremely high learning curve since it's about counter-adapting to the way the metagame adapted to him. And G&W wasn't given anything that is able to stand out in this metagame. He doesn't have anything super amazing in speed/power/range ratio besides the Bucket. Every one of his moves falls slightly short of the requirement that is needed to survive top matchups. For example, if you made either G&W's D-tilt, F-smash, or B-air have enough range to poke at Metaknight safely, then he'd easily be a much better character just because it gives him that ONE thing he needs for those matchups. Or if you made his D-smash frame 10 that would also solve almost all his problems by giving him a reliable oos killer.

Marth: more range, more speed, Up-B out of shield, counter.

MK: more range, more speed, Up-B out of shield.

Snake: F-tilt.

Most of the problems in G&W's matchups are very clear cut moveset differences. G&W unlike the characters above him doesn't have a surefire pwnage move that works in all situations and because their surefire move(s) work on him, that makes him suffer since his options are already limited.

The Ice Climbers don't belong in the A tier. I suspect they will be S after a few iterations since they have way too much that is guaranteed from just one grab. Otherwise the A tier is pretty accurate. You have many solid characters there who lack that one thing that is necessary to guarantee security in matchups.

The only thing G&W lacks is a move that can be abused more in S tier matchups. If he got that he would be S tier, and considering his ridiculous power, that one small change would make him the best character in the game. G&W was INCREDIBLY close to making it. And we can see how small changes affect him drastically in teams, where he is more than likely the best character in those.

And also...Sheik should be B-tier at least. F-tilt juggles and grab release Up-smash are both things that are fitting of a top tier character.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
I agree with ICs moving up to S tier soon. It's ridiculous that 1 grab = death.

I also agree that G&W has an extremely high learning curve at very high levels of play.

monekyaone

Smash Rookie

I think G&W is correctly placed.

Main G&W. DDD, Snake, MK.

Tourney results.

Snake (Ftilt), Diddy (Banana), Marth (H4x).

The only reason is because G&W actually DOES have bad matchups unlike tourney winners like MK. If a player was playing as their main, and had a hard time beating G&W they could just secondary in one of the many characters that totally wreck G&W and never again will they have a problem against another G&W. Not to mention tourneys are filled with MKs, Snakes, Diddies, and Marths to start with... G&W needs to discover something, FAST!

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
I guess OBM has a point... with no new way to approach your opponent, the G&W standings on the tier list will only worsen... I hope to find something new, but even OBM is maining wario now... I wont give up on the idea that Game and Watch can win these matches... it just takes tons of practice...

Al_G&W

Smash Rookie
I think he's pretty much in the right spot, this could be because just not enough people are choosing to play with him, partly because there is just less faith in his game.

I main him, mostly because i hated playing against him. I love his moves, and he's just a fun character to play with. Don't really have a solid secondary, 2 or 3 which i seem to switch between. i find G&W to be my best choice in the majority of match ups, although this can be dependent on the other players style.

One of the reasons i think, is that a lot of effort is needed to make sure you don't become predictable with him, and if you are then this will get punished constantly resulting in dropping him for another character.
Maybe people have also started to figure out his killing moves, especially the better players, but killing moves can be avoided almost always and its down to how you play, and spacing, different play styles etc that challenge your opponent even more to not rely on the "obvious".
Generally, i think his popularity has gone down and of course this is going to bring him down, but maybe an underestimation of G&W is a good thing

Personally, the one i hate the most, Diddy Kong, purely because of the banans. Oh the bananas, yes a couple other characters make me feel deflated inside if i see the match up, but only DK actually makes me angry just from him being chosen. His bananas make you work extremely hard (which isnt neccessarily a bad thing) but also are so fustrating. Maybe others don't mind it so much ? Even i'm using them to my advantage i still resent the fact that they're there in the first place...

Snake is then the second, his ground game can be lovely, (although not for G&W) which means platform stages make it easier to get him in the air and attack from there dealing a lot of damage. The grenades are good to stop G&W from approaching/attacking if there isnt enough time to get a move worth the damage.

Thirdly, would be Marth. His sword is obviously good, and makes sure you have good spacing all through the game unless you want to be severely punished for it. However, Marth doesn't have projectiles, so chef comes in handy and means Marth does have to come closer then you to attack.

He can become predictable, but that's just a case of not becoming comfortable with with one style of playing, changing it and knowing all your options. Some of the characters higher in the tier, have a lot of powerful moves and some a lot less lag as well, combos are also easier with some.

I think ALL characters have big weaknesses, just some are played more, seen as more popular, and also seen to be easier to learn to play with, if enough effort is made and you can think quickly and to be honest quite randomly, his weaknesses would be a lot less and could easily boost him higher, although i don't see why it matters that much? Okay i could be completely not seeing the point, but as long as you can play with him well and most importantly, enjoy playing with him, what place he comes in a tier just doesn't matter does it? If people underestimate his ability, awesome !
It's not why is he lower, but why, if it is happening, are people figuring out how to avoid killing moves? Surely it's just up to us to keep improving our game to lessen the chance of being caught out?

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Answer:
I think GAWs place on the list is good. I thought it would be lower, but with place 8 imo on the tier list is good ^ ^ GAW is indeed awesome and a very good character if you know how to use him ;)

Answer:
My main is GAW. I use G & W in tournaments often. Sometimes i use Ice climbers besides G&W,or King Dedede to **** snakes =D

Answer:
I think people are dropping him for a different character

Answer:
Marth and MK

Marth:
I don´t know xD
For me it´s very hard to play as GAW against Marth.
I think it´s because he stops his bair with down B... and GAWs UP B to.
Sorry,i have no idea from the GAW and Marth MU......xP

MK:
it´s MK.....
There is no more to say ...

Answer:
I think it is the Matchups

sorry for my english ~_ ~
I put the english words in a translator.
and Sorry about my ignorance about the Marth and GAW Matchup :bee:

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
I personally think they should go up. Peach Too. To me some of the characters in the S tier shouldn't be in it. I still think MK and Snake should be the only S tiers is cuz They're used wayy more than any other character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
By the way, my opinion of G&W has changed slightly.

I think he's better than Falco and DDD. Mainly just cause I think those two characters are overrated to some extent.

Falco loses in most of the same matchups that give G&W trouble (except for Diddy), and arguably worse due to his inferior ability to juggle and edgeguard in those bad matchups.

King DDD is overrated when you learn to avoid his Waddle Dees, F-tilt, and shieldgrab. He's one of the worst characters in the game at scoring the KO too, being unable to kill anything without landing a fresh F-air/B-air, a lucky Smash, or fresh U-tilt. DDD if I recall can't win against Falco, Olimar, Pikachu, and I believe the Ice Climbers, all characters that G&W can handle fairly easily. DDD also doesn't have a real way to beat Wario if Wario air camps after a % lead and in general doesn't cover blind spots in that matchup as well as G&W does.

And DDD gets outcamped by CHEF. Horrible.

Top Bottom