• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the most iconic moves for current characters that are being disregarded by Smash?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would love to see Samus get her different beams added to her moveset with her being able to switch between the Power, Ice, and Plasma Beams.

The Power Beam would be like the one she currently has and would retain the best KO power out of all the beams.

The Ice Beam would do Ice Damage and charged shots can freeze opponents. Its rate of fire is also the fastest out of all the beams allowing her to use this beam to supplement her missiles as a long-range option.

The Plasma Beam would have the slowest rate of fire, but it can pass through walls and even other weaker projectiles(like Mario's Fireballs), and a fully charged shot can do the most damage out of all the beams, pass through multiple opponents(like Robin's fully Thoron), and does a high amount of damage of shields, making it easier to Samus to break shields.

Samus can freely change her beams by using her side taunt. Kirby also gains the current beam that Samus has equipped, so he has the ability to copy the Ice or Plasma Beam.
In addition to that, there can even be the Charge Beam Combos, where if you store a fully charged Neutral-B and do Side-B while holding B down, Samus will do a Charge Beam Combo. They would have a lot of startup lag to balance it out though.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
I'm rather disappointed that Ganondorf doesn't even have a slight reference to either the Triforce of Power (excluding his final smash) or Dead Man's Volley. Plus, I'd like a reference to the Phantom Ganons and hell even his fire magic in LTTP (although Ganondorf didn't exist yet... technically).

Also, this is just a minor nitpick, but why are Skull Bash and Agility damaging for Pichu? They're Normal and Psychic moves, respectively, and Pichu can't even learn either.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm rather disappointed that Ganondorf doesn't even have a slight reference to either the Triforce of Power (excluding his final smash) or Dead Man's Volley. Plus, I'd like a reference to the Phantom Ganons and hell even his fire magic in LTTP (although Ganondorf didn't exist yet... technically).
I think it's a big missed opportunity that his Left Victory Pose doesn't have his mark of the Triforce of Power on it. It's as bad as Sheik having no harp taunt or victory pose.

I still stand by my statement on implementing Dead Man's Volley, though.

Just because I know people are going to spam it, :ultganondorf: doesn't have his Dead Man's Volley acknowledged. But I don't think giving him a projectile is the way to go about this; after all, having a projectile and a huge sword would be OP for anyone but a lightweight (see Sephiroth). Rather, I would have his Warlock Punch have a "tap" version where if you simply tap Neutral-B, you get a quick uncharged backhand that reflects projectiles and acts as a combo setup.
Also, how would the Phantom Ganons work? Would they be an alternate way of implementing Flame Choke by having Ganondorf send a Phantom out to hold the enemy in place? Blazing Bats would best be done on a separate pig Ganon character.

Also, this is just a minor nitpick, but why are Skull Bash and Agility damaging for Pichu? They're Normal and Psychic moves, respectively, and Pichu can't even learn either.
Skull Bash is an artifact from when it was a Gen I TM, and Agility can be learned by Pikachu but not Pichu. It's hard to say what other moves Pichu could even use though.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
For DK, the Barrel Throw. It's just as iconic as Mario's Fireballs and yet it is not in Smash. Why?

Quillion

Smash Hero
For DK, the Barrel Throw. It's just as iconic as Mario's Fireballs and yet it is not in Smash. Why?
Mainly because they want DK to be a fairly traditional heavy. Traditional heavies didn't have projectiles usually. Plus a barrel would have to be particularly powerful.

If DK needs a projectile, the Coconut Gun would work better.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Mainly because they want DK to be a fairly traditional heavy. Traditional heavies didn't have projectiles usually. Plus a barrel would have to be particularly powerful.

If DK needs a projectile, the Coconut Gun would work better.
it's not that he needs a projectile, it's that he needs the barrels.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
and hey, if that isn't good enough for you, we could just straight up change the heavy archetype

might seem like too extreme of a change but I think it could work

Quillion

Smash Hero
Quillion Quillion , am I right that you would be less opposed to the idea of projectiles for heavyweight characters if they were not intended to be brawling types?
I admit, it's kinda hard for me to picture a "heavy zoner" as good design when Sakurai specifically noted that Sephiroth had to be light for balancing reasons. Maybe what they can do is give the "brawling heavies" better recoveries to help their survivability while "zoning heavies" have the bad recoveries that heavies traditionally have now.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I admit, it's kinda hard for me to picture a "heavy zoner" as good design when Sakurai specifically noted that Sephiroth had to be light for balancing reasons. Maybe what they can do is give the "brawling heavies" better recoveries to help their survivability while "zoning heavies" have the bad recoveries that heavies traditionally have now.
When you think about it, all of the weight classes could have some of each archetype. Perhaps the reason you would have difficulty swallowing it is because the design team simply has not made a habit of doing this, and so you would not be used to it.
One of my favorite suggestions for heavies (I do not remember where it was) for balancing was the idea of reducing hitsun on them.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I'm not saying they would have to be a zoner, basically their projectiles would be slow, the opposite of rapid, and wouldn't have too much range

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I'm not saying they would have to be a zoner, basically their projectiles would be slow, the opposite of rapid, and wouldn't have too much range
I might add that if the range is short enough, it could even be thought of as an extended physical attack, just for those who would need to cope psychologically.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
1611353375036.png

Of the heavy characters in the game K Rool, Piranha Plant, Samus, Bowser Jr, Simon, Snake, and ROB are dedicated zoners. Maaaaaybe Banjo if you stretch the definition. Many more aren't zoners and have projectiles like DDD or Terry
Some of them are some of the best characters in the game (especially online) and others are garbage.
Snake and ROB dominate the online tournament-scape, and it's not just because of one projectile, it's because they have a ton of setups they can do.

Conversely Ganondorf and DK having a single projectile would not make them any better when they still have every single flaw in the game going against them, besides obviously power.

I don't wanna hear anything about "disrupting the archetype" when so many rushdown combo-heavy characters in this game have projectiles that come out fast, cover their owners' approaches, and combo.

Give Ike a blade beam

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
View attachment 300266
Of the heavy characters in the game K Rool, Dedede, Piranha Plant, Samus, Bowser Jr, Simon, Snake, and ROB are dedicated zoners. Maaaaaybe Banjo if you stretch the definition.
Some of them are some of the best characters in the game (especially online) and others are garbage.
Snake and ROB dominates the online tournament-scape, and it's not just because of one projectile, it's because they have a ton of setups they can do.

Conversely Ganondorf and DK having a single projectile would not make them any better when they still have every single flaw in the game going against him, besides obviously power.

I don't wanna hear anything about "disrupting the archetype" when so many rushdown combo-heavy characters in this game have projectiles that come out fast, cover their owners' approaches, and combo.
I only consider incineroar and up to be "true" heavies, and we really aren't talking about competitive balance here, or at least i'm not

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
View attachment 300266
Of the heavy characters in the game K Rool, Dedede, Piranha Plant, Samus, Bowser Jr, Simon, Snake, and ROB are dedicated zoners. Maaaaaybe Banjo if you stretch the definition.
Snake and ROB dominate the online tournament-scape, and it's not just because of one projectile, it's because they have a ton of setups they can do.

Conversely Ganondorf and DK having a single projectile would not make them any better when they still have every single flaw in the game going against them, besides obviously power.

Give Ike a blade beam
I thought Samus was a middle weight. I am a Brawl maroon, so I cannot speak about Ultimate characters in that way. Everything I say has Brawl and other's statements in mind. Good point about Snake and R.O.B. though.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
View attachment 300266
Snake and ROB dominates the online tournament-scape, and it's not just because of one projectile, it's because they have a ton of setups they can do.

Conversely Ganondorf and DK having a single projectile would not make them any better when they still have every single flaw in the game going against him, besides obviously power.

THIS.

A barrel or a volley might make DK and Ganondorf slightly better... but only slightly. I also think DK should have a barrel blast for his up special that travels less distance than Fire Fox (the move it would be similar to) but has good KO power if you do the whole "up special aimed sideways while onstage" thing. (I also think Ganondorf could do with a recovery buff, but that's not really related to the topic of this thread). I honestly don't see why giving these to either character would be bad. They're pretty iconic to either character, and while their punches would be somewhat missed (thinking the projectiles would replace neutral special for both characters), I think they'd appreciate the extra 20% or so per stock that could be tacked on by landing their projectiles a few times.

Onto some other characters that came to mind:
:ultsonic:: I don't know why Light Speed Dash was excluded from his moveset when the move was pretty much already in the game (:fox::falco:). Well okay, I can kinda understand for Brawl, since Sonic was a rushed addition. Should have been fixed by now.

:ultjigglypuff:: I'd really love to see a Fairy-type move now that she's had the typing for years. Rollout is a pretty crappy move anyway and doesn't really suit Puff. Maybe Dazzling Gleam for a ranged option, like how I outspace swordies with a lot of Bowser Flame Breath if I'm fighting a swordie as Bowser. Or maybe Sweet Kiss, which could cause stun like Mewtwo's Disable.

:ultlucario:: Y'know, it's kinda weird that Force Palm is here, but Bone Rush isn't. Force Palm is your weak, early-on Fighting move that you replace with stronger moves later. Bone Rush, however, is a move you may very well keep and even if you don't, is super strong for a good chunk of the game. Plus he's like, the only Pokemon to learn it other than Marowak. Maybe Sakurai only had early bits of Lucario's moveset to go off of, since Riolu learns Force Palm very early. Still, a shame that the bone became so iconic to Lucario, only to keep getting excluded from Smash.

:ultjoker:: Okay, so not really a move. But, you would have thought the Wild Card would have had "Persona Change" for his neutral or down special, in a similar vein to Shulk or Pokemon Trainer.

Honorable Mentions:
:ultmewtwo:: You know, it occurs to me that the only playable Psychic type... doesn't have anything that could be the move Psychic. I'm happy with Mewtwo's kit without it, though.

:ultincineroar:: Is supposed to shoot fire from his belt. I can understand why this was excluded, though. Even though the belt is, well, not what's below the belt, it can't help but draw similarities to pee and other things that occur there that aren't appropriate to mention. Plus, the other Fire-based heavies (Charizard, Bowser, and Ridley) have a fire breath move, so I support the exclusion for the sake of variety (though, I wonder how much extra % I could have raked up had Incin been given Flamethrower, especially with Revenge).

Quillion

Smash Hero
:ultlucario:: Y'know, it's kinda weird that Force Palm is here, but Bone Rush isn't. Force Palm is your weak, early-on Fighting move that you replace with stronger moves later. Bone Rush, however, is a move you may very well keep and even if you don't, is super strong for a good chunk of the game. Plus he's like, the only Pokemon to learn it other than Marowak. Maybe Sakurai only had early bits of Lucario's moveset to go off of, since Riolu learns Force Palm very early. Still, a shame that the bone became so iconic to Lucario, only to keep getting excluded from Smash.
Just wondering, why do people consider Bone Rush to be an "iconic move" for Lucario? I don't think the Lucario in its debut movie even used it, and even Ash's Lucario in the anime doesn't have it. The Lucario in Pokkén Tournament uses it, but that's hardly an iconic game, at least for now.

:ultmewtwo:: You know, it occurs to me that the only playable Psychic type... doesn't have anything that could be the move Psychic. I'm happy with Mewtwo's kit without it, though.
Personally, I think Mewtwo should have the magenta energy associated with Psychic-types instead of its "shadow energy" that is more associated with Ghost-types.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Just wondering, why do people consider Bone Rush to be an "iconic move" for Lucario? I don't think the Lucario in its debut movie even used it, and even Ash's Lucario in the anime doesn't have it. The Lucario in Pokkén Tournament uses it, but that's hardly an iconic game, at least for now.
because I'm pretty sure almost every other lucario in the anime uses it, him not having it would be like if pikachu didn't have thunderbo- oh wait

Quillion

Smash Hero
because I'm pretty sure almost every other lucario in the anime uses it, him not having it would be like if pikachu didn't have thunderbo- oh wait
I suppose you're right, but I'm not on board on letting the anime be the end-all-be-all of representation in Smash aside from the "Pokémon saying their names" thing.
----
On another note, this is more that "a move on the wrong character", but since Ultimate came out, I've been pretty confused why :ultdoc: has the Goomba Stomp
instead of vanilla :ultmario:. Doc doesn't stomp in his series, but Mario stomps in the main series and quite a bit of spinoffs.

Along with the Tornado, it makes me feel like Doc is a dumping ground for moves that Mario should have but has no room for.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I suppose you're right, but I'm not on board on letting the anime be the end-all-be-all of representation in Smash aside from the "Pokémon saying their names" thing.
you see, the pokemon anime is sort of what makes things in pokemon iconic, like the anime is responsible for most of what people think of when they think of pokemon, mainly because of how open ended the pokemon games are when it comes to the pokemon themselves, the pokemon anime basically defines what's iconic for most pokemon, and what pokemon are iconic themselves

for example jigglypuff in the games is a pretty random pokemon, but the anime gave her a quite memorable and iconic role which is basically what she's known for today
On another note, this is more that "a move on the wrong character", but since Ultimate came out, I've been pretty confused why :ultdoc: has the Goomba Stomp
instead of vanilla :ultmario:. Doc doesn't stomp in his series, but Mario stomps in the main series and quite a bit of spinoffs.

Along with the Tornado, it makes me feel like Doc is a dumping ground for moves that Mario should have but has no room for.
I feel like the stomp and tornado are just there to make doc more unique, but honestly in a future smash game I would want them to give those to mario and just make doc a skin tbh

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dr. Mario will never be a skin at this point. Not under Sakurai, at least. He's designed to be a different playstyle from Mario since For. Ultimate further separates them. Which is obviously why he isn't an Echo, cause he has some pretty unique attributes. I mean, he could be one... but he got a clone label twice in Smash, whereas Lucina and Pit at least were skins remade from the original start. Dr. Mario may have been a skin in Melee, but we don't know that and it doesn't help the point towards him being a separate character. Nor do we know if that's remotely his intention during Brawl, with the Forbidden 7(we only know Dixie's direct situation. She was a partner to Diddy in some way, but gameplay didn't work out. She was scrapped).

Besides that, Dr. Mario's changes are to reflect "classic Mario gameplay" while Mario overall represents the modern gameplay in comparison. Not saying it's proper canon representation or remotely accurate, but there's a clear purpose. Young Link does this too, since regular Link is completely different from the classic playstyle now.

Skins should only happen if they both make enough sense to use that move(Bowser Jr. isn't the moveset for instance) and they need to obviously have similar enough bodyshapes to make it work. Daisy would make more sense as a skin if it wasn't for her unique taunts. That's literally all that separates her. Mario doesn't use Megavitamins, and even if he say, had the Galaxy Spin, it's still a different move from the original Spin that's based around the Cape(which is the one that Dr. Mario and Luigi use).

It was a bad idea to use it in Project M and a bad idea now. Dr. Mario does need an overhaul though. His Down B makes little sense(Mario using the Galaxy Spin instead of F.L.U.D.D. is a good change though, if you want to keep the move intact. It's a mediocre Down Air right now for him) and is just the fact he was a regular old clone that he got it. His Super Sheet is fine, since he's a Doctor as is. But they can do better than that anyway. If the idea is to keep some of the classic gameplay, and Mario is getting a new Side B, that works too. But there's gotta be something better than a spin he doesn't really use. Same with his Up B, which is just the regular Super Jump Punch but modified. Dr. Mario isn't in an action game as is like that. Maybe an original move using assets from his games could work. Like Viruses launching him up or something. He could also be busting Viruses out instead of Coins, maybe? That would certainly look a lot better, but it's a stretch for an idea. It's an issue Dr. Mario has. He has little to work with beyond borrowing regular Mario's moves.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario will never be a skin at this point. Not under Sakurai, at least. He's designed to be a different playstyle from Mario since For. Ultimate further separates them. Which is obviously why he isn't an Echo, cause he has some pretty unique attributes. I mean, he could be one... but he got a clone label twice in Smash, whereas Lucina and Pit at least were skins remade from the original start. Dr. Mario may have been a skin in Melee, but we don't know that and it doesn't help the point towards him being a separate character. Nor do we know if that's remotely his intention during Brawl, with the Forbidden 7(we only know Dixie's direct situation. She was a partner to Diddy in some way, but gameplay didn't work out. She was scrapped).

Besides that, Dr. Mario's changes are to reflect "classic Mario gameplay" while Mario overall represents the modern gameplay in comparison. Not saying it's proper canon representation or remotely accurate, but there's a clear purpose. Young Link does this too, since regular Link is completely different from the classic playstyle now.

Skins should only happen if they both make enough sense to use that move(Bowser Jr. isn't the moveset for instance) and they need to obviously have similar enough bodyshapes to make it work. Daisy would make more sense as a skin if it wasn't for her unique taunts. That's literally all that separates her. Mario doesn't use Megavitamins, and even if he say, had the Galaxy Spin, it's still a different move from the original Spin that's based around the Cape(which is the one that Dr. Mario and Luigi use).

It was a bad idea to use it in Project M and a bad idea now. Dr. Mario does need an overhaul though. His Down B makes little sense(Mario using the Galaxy Spin instead of F.L.U.D.D. is a good change though, if you want to keep the move intact. It's a mediocre Down Air right now for him) and is just the fact he was a regular old clone that he got it. His Super Sheet is fine, since he's a Doctor as is. But they can do better than that anyway. If the idea is to keep some of the classic gameplay, and Mario is getting a new Side B, that works too. But there's gotta be something better than a spin he doesn't really use. Same with his Up B, which is just the regular Super Jump Punch but modified. Dr. Mario isn't in an action game as is like that. Maybe an original move using assets from his games could work. Like Viruses launching him up or something. He could also be busting Viruses out instead of Coins, maybe? That would certainly look a lot better, but it's a stretch for an idea. It's an issue Dr. Mario has. He has little to work with beyond borrowing regular Mario's moves.
I don't get why it's a bad idea, it's literally Mario with a trenchcoat and the Megavitamins are just reskined Fireballs

his unique moves make more sense for Mario

I get that it would probably never happen but I don't really care

Quillion

Smash Hero
That would be a passable idea if they kept Doc's drill kick and "so long" throw. But instead they gave him the Goomba Stomp and a made-up back throw. The former is a move that Mario absolutely should have considering that's his main if not only form of unarmed combat in several main games and spinoffs.

Even then, the idea of bringing on a character to represent "the old style" of that character doesn't sit entirely well with me anymore. It would be like if they reworked Ganondorf to utilize more of his sword (albeit with similar functions for the sake of this argument) and then brought on Black Shadow to have his old unarmed moves. I'm pretty sure even you would be against that too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't get why it's a bad idea, it's literally Mario with a trenchcoat and the Megavitamins are just reskined Fireballs

his unique moves make more sense for Mario

I get that it would probably never happen but I don't really care
Because they aren't reskinned fireballs. They're actually different moves with different effects. And that requires a hard "own slot" alone. The tiniest change is why he has a slot in the first place. Do note he's barely different from Mario in Melee. Part of why he got that slot was just to add more music too.

Basically he was like Dark Pit in Melee with barely any differences, and those differences are 100% why he cannot be a skin. Well, a bit more than Dark Pit, but he's a close comparison to the differences.

It was awful in Project M. They failed to make him correctly. He doesn't have any of his actual unique attributes. He isn't Dr. Mario. He's a bad skin as is. The Fireballs and Megavitamins aren't just sound effects and different textures. They always had unique attributes as is. They don't have the same spin at that point. One has a vastly stronger one(Dr. Mario's spin is actually far closer to Luigi's, being a power attack far less than a combo move). They didn't bother to even make the skin good. You were playing as a poor man's version of Dr. Mario, not the cool one from Melee, and later games, where they properly implemented him. Besides, did they even bother to make the Super Jump Punch with an electrical aesthetic? If not, then I'd call it an utter failure of a skin. It can't have different effects whatsoever, but they can change the sounds/aesthetics to be accurate. You either go all in or you don't bother. There's little point in giving him all these things but still have it done wrong. I appreciate the Project M's team's work, but the skin was not good. Alph is also a pretty bad skin for Olimar, but he 0% unique attributes beyond his personality, and actually legit uses the same moveset.

Besides, the Super Sheet is fine on Dr. Mario because it's not the actual Cape. It's just him using a Doctor-related item in a different way. The Cape was never properly used in Smash by Mario. His Tornado is literally the Cape itself(another proper way to use the Cape as a Down B, mind you).

Dr. Mario does need changes to be closer to being what he is, but he has barely any moves, as I noted.

That would be a passable idea if they kept Doc's drill kick and "so long" throw. But instead they gave him the Goomba Stomp and a made-up back throw. The former is a move that Mario absolutely should have considering that's his main if not only form of unarmed combat in several main games and spinoffs.

Even then, the idea of bringing on a character to represent "the old style" of that character doesn't sit entirely well with me anymore. It would be like if they reworked Ganondorf to utilize more of his sword (albeit with similar functions for the sake of this argument) and then brought on Black Shadow to have his old unarmed moves. I'm pretty sure even you would be against that too.
Ganondorf wouldn't be reworked like that either way. Even the most changed characters still clearly have a similar moveset, just play fairly different despite this. Black Shadow can still come as a Ganondorf clone/Echo(depending how much changed attributes matter like weight) and work fine. Literally, Black Shadow(who does not have Captain Falcon's bodyshape so can't be his Echo period) is excellent to represent the Brawl playstyle.

Dr. Mario is definitely a lot closer to the classic style, but that's not all he represents. He has no reason to use the spin throws because he isn't Mario. Also, those spin throws were from the N64 games, which is more of a modern era than classic, so it's not exactly on the wrong person. Dr. Mario is a heavyweight because he wears more clothing and to make him feel different from Mario. ...Ironically he should be more fit, cause, you know, Doctor.

Though do you have an idea of what way better moves they can give him for a Down B and maybe an Up B? And Electrical Super Jump Punch isn't horrid(though as I said above, if Project M didn't implement at least that, they really did a bad job at making him a skin. It can't be an actual different move effect due to skins 100% being aesthetic, but he's the electrical character logically to Mario's Fire due to the types of things they do. That, and to be fair, Mario & Luigi cemented Mario being able to do fiery punches moreso after Smash attempted that in Melee to help change him up from Luigi).

...The Drill Kick isn't even from an actual Mario game? What game was that from to begin with? Wasn't that specific to Smash? Goomba Stomp, yes. But then again, everyone has something similar with the ability to jump on someone's head. It's not so much as a Goomba Stomp as basically using Luigi's move moreso, where the focus was on "focused hits" instead of combos. It's not really meant to represent that from what we can tell at all. Since that seems a misunderstanding of the move's origins. The move came from Luigi in Melee, where, as I noted, they changed his attacks to be stronger hits with less combo potential to separate him from Mario. Dr. Mario just inherented that attribute since he's not a combo character in For like Mario is. Also, worth noting Doctor Mario is directly using both Mario and Luigi as a base during For. That's why he got the Tornado and not some odd variation on F.L.U.D.D. So you could say the Doc is basically a Mario and Luigi fusion in terms of moveset. He just happens to resemble Melee Mario muchly and thus, is basically akin to the classic playstyle.

It's possibly Luigi's updated Down Air is meant to be the Goomba Stomp, though. And it's a good interpretation of the move, and logical, but it's not that clear, though. Unless I'm missing something about the Goomba Stomp suddenly being a modern move, though?? Cause I remember it from Super Mario Bros. 1, literally jumping on an enemy's head. Also, to be fair, Mario was heavily based upon a Modern game at the time, Super Mario 64, with a few moves from his classic games. Even his throws are from that one. He uses multiple animations/attacks from SM64 in general. Only his Fire Ball and Spin pretty much were related to the classic games outright. Super Jump Punch is just a loose interpretation if him hitting a block underneath, and present in a ton of games, so doesn't really count as being from a strict era. Is it a good interpretation? Eh, no. It's a great move in the sense of "He's the Jumpman!" though?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Because they aren't reskinned fireballs. They're actually different moves with different effects. And that requires a hard "own slot" alone. The tiniest change is why he has a slot in the first place. Do note he's barely different from Mario in Melee. Part of why he got that slot was just to add more music too.

Basically he was like Dark Pit in Melee with barely any differences, and those differences are 100% why he cannot be a skin. Well, a bit more than Dark Pit, but he's a close comparison to the differences.

It was awful in Project M. They failed to make him correctly. He doesn't have any of his actual unique attributes. He isn't Dr. Mario. He's a bad skin as is. The Fireballs and Megavitamins aren't just sound effects and different textures. They always had unique attributes as is. They don't have the same spin at that point. One has a vastly stronger one(Dr. Mario's spin is actually far closer to Luigi's, being a power attack far less than a combo move). They didn't bother to even make the skin good. You were playing as a poor man's version of Dr. Mario, not the cool one from Melee, and later games, where they properly implemented him. Besides, did they even bother to make the Super Jump Punch with an electrical aesthetic? If not, then I'd call it an utter failure of a skin. It can't have different effects whatsoever, but they can change the sounds/aesthetics to be accurate. You either go all in or you don't bother. There's little point in giving him all these things but still have it done wrong. I appreciate the Project M's team's work, but the skin was not good. Alph is also a pretty bad skin for Olimar, but he 0% unique attributes beyond his personality, and actually legit uses the same moveset.

Besides, the Super Sheet is fine on Dr. Mario because it's not the actual Cape. It's just him using a Doctor-related item in a different way. The Cape was never properly used in Smash by Mario. His Tornado is literally the Cape itself(another proper way to use the Cape as a Down B, mind you).

Dr. Mario does need changes to be closer to being what he is, but he has barely any moves, as I noted.
ok but what i'm saying is, doc doesn't need to be different, besides the megavitamins all of his moves are made up, in my opinion doc should have never been his own character with any differences beyond cosmetic stuff

Project M did it right, because it embraced what doc truly is, Mario in a trenchcoat

Doc's electric effects are purely made up and if anything ought to go to Luigi

literally the only reason to keep him as his own slot is to keep in the made up effects, especially if they give mario the stomp and other stuff like I suggested

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
ok but what i'm saying is, doc doesn't need to be different, besides the megavitamins all of his moves are made up, in my opinion doc should have never been his own character with any differences beyond cosmetic stuff

Project M did it right, because it embraced what doc truly is, Mario in a trenchcoat

literally the only reason to keep him as his own slot is to keep in the made up effects, especially if they give mario the stomp and other stuff like I suggested
There is nothing that suggests they make sense on Luigi. That's a product from a spin-off game after Melee entirely. Doctor Mario is a doctor. He works with electrical equipment as a basic concept. Even the(albeit unofficial) guide calls his core electrical move Defribilator. He's 100% logical to do. That's why he has them, not Luigi. Like, Luigi never used electricity nor has any reason to be associated with it till after Melee existed. Dr. Mario would've never worked as a skin here.

Luigi's core element is also Fire, just like Mario. He was designed as "Player 2". He's the Ken to Mario's Ryu. That's why they were always similar.

I agree the Spin is weird, but F.L.U.D.D. is even worse. He's not just Mario in a trenchcoat either. That's a very silly interpretation when he does stuff Mario doesn't normally do.

Megavitamins are not Fireballs. They are different projectiles. Even if that was the sole difference, he would have his own slot. That's how Smash legitimately works. A skin is simply not a good option and inproperly represents him. They should've left him cut or made him a clone with changes like Smash actually did(and much more correctly).

Not really a move, but it's really disappointing that Bowser can't damage foes that try to footstool off of him while he's crouching like Piranha Plant can. Even if it would barely be used, it feels like it should be there.
Agreed. It's a logical thing for him to get, since he actually has that ability in the games. Though to be fair, he's no longer crouching anymore and is a lot more of a case of "standing up right cause wrestling style" so jumping on his head is now plausible. So in a sense it actually makes sense for him to be footstool stomped(btw, I couldn't remember that term, so thanks for saying that here).

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Agreed. It's a logical thing for him to get, since he actually has that ability in the games. Though to be fair, he's no longer crouching anymore and is a lot more of a case of "standing up right cause wrestling style" so jumping on his head is now plausible. So in a sense it actually makes sense for him to be footstool stomped(btw, I couldn't remember that term, so thanks for saying that here).
Bowser still has his spikes facing right up when he's crouching though, which was what I was trying to say. He should have that mechanic while he's crouching, not all the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bowser still has his spikes facing right up when he's crouching though, which was what I was trying to say. He should have that mechanic while he's crouching, not all the time.
Ohhhhh. Yeah, I see what you mean now. I misread it a bit. Sorry about that.

Also, I love the fact Piranha Plant has a victory screen where he outright attacks Mario. If only cause it throws a wrench into the whole "they have NPC roles, they can't be playable" far more than Chrom alone. ...I'm surprised people even cared about the victory screens. Final Smash is one thing, but a victory screen? -_-

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ganondorf wouldn't be reworked like that either way. Even the most changed characters still clearly have a similar moveset, just play fairly different despite this. Black Shadow can still come as a Ganondorf clone/Echo(depending how much changed attributes matter like weight) and work fine. Literally, Black Shadow(who does not have Captain Falcon's bodyshape so can't be his Echo period) is excellent to represent the Brawl playstyle.
Yeah, reworking Ganondorf is definitely unethical, but even just his sword smashes were an unethical change in themselves (even if swords are Ganondorf's iconic weapon type). I'd much prefer that they be reverted to their elbow and kick animations instead of shunting them off to Black Shadow just to represent "old Ganondorf".

Dr. Mario is definitely a lot closer to the classic style, but that's not all he represents. He has no reason to use the spin throws because he isn't Mario. Also, those spin throws were from the N64 games, which is more of a modern era than classic, so it's not exactly on the wrong person. Dr. Mario is a heavyweight because he wears more clothing and to make him feel different from Mario. ...Ironically he should be more fit, cause, you know, Doctor.

Though do you have an idea of what way better moves they can give him for a Down B and maybe an Up B? And Electrical Super Jump Punch isn't horrid(though as I said above, if Project M didn't implement at least that, they really did a bad job at making him a skin. It can't be an actual different move effect due to skins 100% being aesthetic, but he's the electrical character logically to Mario's Fire due to the types of things they do. That, and to be fair, Mario & Luigi cemented Mario being able to do fiery punches moreso after Smash attempted that in Melee to help change him up from Luigi).
Honestly, if we have to keep Doc on just for legacy reasons, I wouldn't be opposed to Mario and Doc sharing a Down-B animation. They would have different properties; maybe Doc's can kill better and Mario's is faster but weaker to be more of a combo move. Just being "heavy Mario" is enough to make Doc at least feel unique even if he's sharing a lot of animations with Mario.

...The Drill Kick isn't even from an actual Mario game? What game was that from to begin with? Wasn't that specific to Smash? Goomba Stomp, yes. But then again, everyone has something similar with the ability to jump on someone's head. It's not so much as a Goomba Stomp as basically using Luigi's move moreso, where the focus was on "focused hits" instead of combos. It's not really meant to represent that from what we can tell at all. Since that seems a misunderstanding of the move's origins. The move came from Luigi in Melee, where, as I noted, they changed his attacks to be stronger hits with less combo potential to separate him from Mario. Dr. Mario just inherented that attribute since he's not a combo character in For like Mario is. Also, worth noting Doctor Mario is directly using both Mario and Luigi as a base during For. That's why he got the Tornado and not some odd variation on F.L.U.D.D. So you could say the Doc is basically a Mario and Luigi fusion in terms of moveset. He just happens to resemble Melee Mario muchly and thus, is basically akin to the classic playstyle.

It's possibly Luigi's updated Down Air is meant to be the Goomba Stomp, though. And it's a good interpretation of the move, and logical, but it's not that clear, though. Unless I'm missing something about the Goomba Stomp suddenly being a modern move, though?? Cause I remember it from Super Mario Bros. 1, literally jumping on an enemy's head. Also, to be fair, Mario was heavily based upon a Modern game at the time, Super Mario 64, with a few moves from his classic games. Even his throws are from that one. He uses multiple animations/attacks from SM64 in general. Only his Fire Ball and Spin pretty much were related to the classic games outright. Super Jump Punch is just a loose interpretation if him hitting a block underneath, and present in a ton of games, so doesn't really count as being from a strict era. Is it a good interpretation? Eh, no. It's a great move in the sense of "He's the Jumpman!" though?
You could argue that the Drill Kick is another interpretation of the spin jump, although that's admittedly a weak argument considering several Smash 64 and Melee characters had drill moves of some sort. I wouldn't call Luigi's dair a Goomba Stomp, though. It's just another Drill Kick animation, albeit a single-hit one which he essentially shares with Falco.

The thing with the Goomba Stomp is that, even though other characters have their own stomps, it's an iconic action for Mario himself. Sure, it has become an iconic action for platformers in general, and thus you could argue that Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and anyone else playable in a main-series Mario game should have it, but Mario was the one who popularized it. And before someone says that Luigi should have it too, I think it's fine that we can fudge with the lack of "iconic moves" just to keep certain characters distinct; at least Luigi finally has his Poltergust as a grab, something which was arguably needed since Brawl.

Goomba Stomping isn't even a "modern move", it's a whole-series move. Sure, other characters like Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Greninja have stomps, but Captain Falcon and Samus having shoulder charges didn't stop Wario from getting the shoulder charge that he lost in Smash 4. Again, it's a fairly generic action, but it's still one iconic to Mario, and that's why he should have it.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

It's quotes like this that make me WANT a Variation System like in Street Fighter V and Mortal Kombat X.

It would, IMO, solve so many problems.

Limited character, but honestly, the roster needed a reset and tune-up, anyway.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's quotes like this that make me WANT a Variation System like in Street Fighter V and Mortal Kombat X.

It would, IMO, solve so many problems.

Limited character, but honestly, the roster needed a reset and tune-up, anyway.
When you say Variation system, do you mean swappable movesets on the CSS?

If so, I think that can be limited to the 64 and Melee vets since they tend to ignore their more recent material.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a particular issue with a lot of veteran characters. And i think revamping so many movesets could alienate a lot of people. That's why I want Custom Specials to come back so much in a more expansive way than SSB4's minor differences. Every character in the game deserves the Palutena treatment of unique custom moves. You want Hammer on Mario but still want the fire balls? Sure, alternate neutral special. Here's a link to my thread of ideas for custom specials other characters could get.

Also Mario should deal minor damage when footstooling other characters (with the exception of Piranha Plant of course). That is literally his most iconic attack which is missing and would take minimal effort to implement and make little difference to him. Someone mentioned it once a few pages back, but I think it's worth mentioning again (and no, I don't think his old down aerial that a lot of people are talking about sufficiently references that).

Something else no one seems to have mentioned in the first few pages (I will read up to date as this thread interests me greatly) is that Roy is completely lacking his iconic long range fire attacks from Binding Blade. In fact, he works the opposite in Smash Bros, being a close range fighter who wants to get right up in his enemy's face. Still, I think it should be included in his moveset in some way. Maybe have him shoot a fire ball with his counter. Or give him a special like Palutena's Explosive Flame, only he slashes with his sword to knock enemies into the flame, so it still syngerizes with his close range fighting style.
EDIT: And I now see that people did end up discussing Roy and suggested these exact ideas XD

Also for another Fire Emblem character, Byleth doesn't use any magic at all in Smash, despite his/her unique class having magic and his budding talent being White Magic in Three Houses. A magic attack somewhere to reference that would be nice. Maybe in their throws or something. Enlightened One also can use Gauntlets, which are a weapon type introduced in Three Houses, but they'd be a bit harder to squeeze into the moveset without altering the whole multiple weapons gimmick.

I'm surprised to see more people didn't complain about Samus. Of the characters from the first two games she's the one that I think has the poorest level of implementation of her traditional abilities. At the very, very least they should put the Ice Beam in her moveset somewhere, even if it's just an effect on her forward Smash or something. She uses it in virtually every game and it's critical for her job of killing Metroids. Super Bombs and the Gravity Jump are also pretty noteworthy abilities she's missing, though the Space Jump in particular would be kind of hard to implement (not that I didn't try in that forum I linked above).
In the same vein, Dark Samus, while it makes sense to throw in as an Echo of Samus, actually has a lot of original attacks in the Metroid Prime games that aren't being represented at all.
EDIT: And I see people did end up talking a little bit about Samus too XD

The Links have all his most classic weapons. Like obviously there's a tonne of weapons in the Zelda series, but the ones you would expect to be in almost every game are all there. With the exception of the Mirror Shield. It's not the most classic weapon compared to the bombs, boomerangs and bow, but it still is in quite a few of the games and feels distinctly Link to me. So I'd like to see it implemented some way. At least as some kind of aestetic option on one of his pallete swaps if not an outright alternate special that acts like a reflector.

Oh and one more nobody else mentioned. Monado Buster is probably Shulk's most visually distincitve (and epic) attack in Xenoblade yet it's featured in Smash as a completely unrelated ability to boost his damage (which is what Monado Enchant does). I want to see him use his giant laser beam! Make it the finishing blow of his final smash at least.

The bat thing i agree on but a problem still is if Ness+Lucas dont have Fire,Thunder and Ice then how should it get in i mean Porky is Stetching it already (although i still want him) when it comes to Characters adding Kumatora/Paula/Poo seems to much i think

No it fits FALCON! Ganondorf needs Dead Mans Volley its his Most iconic Attack while Warlock Punch never Appeared in Zelda Ever!
Actually he uses it in Hyrule Warriors.

I would like to also note that DMV wasn't even a name until the DS games, when the Cubus Sisters mentioned it. Who have literally zero relation to Ganon/dorf, meaning it's the second game where they don't attempt to tie it to him in some way. The first is the Oracle series, where a Blue Stalfos uses it. Not Agnahim, Ganondorf, or Phantom Ganon. A simple Stalfos that's colored Blue. They don't care who they throw it on, and that's pretty much before Brawl, the first time Ganondorf could've gotten the move. And it's not even important to the Ganon line anymore. It's been always a cool boss move meant to be used by anyone that they could work it onto. The Oracle games lightly tried to tie in the rest of the Ganon storyline in an odd way too. Suddenly he's resurrected(Ganondorf was planned, but never used), and suddenly Twinrova exists again despite dying in canon. This has nothing to do with Termina, which their counterparts are alive, but not remotely evil. So that already leaves an odd puzzle. Only Ganon/dorf is able to be resurrected more than once, established a lot of times, as he has his own reincarnation ability(which was also odd, since they had to suddenly use a ritual to do so. Which failed overall, as his mind was gone, removing the human part that made Ganon actually an intelligent and dangerous foe. It's one of the easiest boss fights in the game, yeah).
Twinrova is never killed in the child timeline, so it actually makes sense for them to die in another game (not that Nintendo really gave proper consideration to such a fact as their offical timeline just shoved all the old games onto a fabricated Ganon wins timeline).

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think this is a particular issue with a lot of veteran characters. And i think revamping so many movesets could alienate a lot of people.
Even though I don't like Ganondorf's sword smashes from an aesthetics and moveset design standpoint, if those moves are any indication, I think 1-3 moves a game being changed wouldn't hurt. But they have to avoid changing moves that are already fun on their own; again Ganondorf's elbow and kicks were too fun to throw away.

That's why I want Custom Specials to come back so much in a more expansive way than SSB4's minor differences. Every character in the game deserves the Palutena treatment of unique custom moves. You want Hammer on Mario but still want the fire balls? Sure, alternate neutral special. Here's a link to my thread of ideas for custom specials other characters could get.
I like the idea, but in practice, I think this stunt will further starve the next game of non-core content; Smash 4 and Ultimate already suffer from that. Also, I don't think every character has enough material for more custom specials. Finally, I think some moves are best reserved for normals, like Mario's hammer for example. Maybe that move can replace his up smash (it's not like his headbutt launching skyward makes sense as it is).

Also Mario should deal minor damage when footstooling other characters (with the exception of Piranha Plant of course). That is literally his most iconic attack which is missing and would take minimal effort to implement and make little difference to him. Someone mentioned it once a few pages back, but I think it's worth mentioning again (and no, I don't think his old down aerial that a lot of people are talking about sufficiently references that).
I'd rather just see Mario Tornado move back to Down-B and turn the Goomba Stomp into his d-air like Doc. I still don't think anyone likes FLUDD from a moveset design standpoint given how situational it is. Yes, it will make the two more similar animation-wise, no I don't care since their playstyles would still be distinct.

Something else no one seems to have mentioned in the first few pages (I will read up to date as this thread interests me greatly) is that Roy is completely lacking his iconic long range fire attacks from Binding Blade. In fact, he works the opposite in Smash Bros, being a close range fighter who wants to get right up in his enemy's face. Still, I think it should be included in his moveset in some way. Maybe have him shoot a fire ball with his counter. Or give him a special like Palutena's Explosive Flame, only he slashes with his sword to knock enemies into the flame, so it still syngerizes with his close range fighting style.
EDIT: And I now see that people did end up discussing Roy and suggested these exact ideas XD
That would be a nice way of distinguishing Chrom and Roy as well. And it would help distinguish Ike's Eruption since it's basically Flare Blade as well.

Also for another Fire Emblem character, Byleth doesn't use any magic at all in Smash, despite his/her unique class having magic and his budding talent being White Magic in Three Houses. A magic attack somewhere to reference that would be nice. Maybe in their throws or something. Enlightened One also can use Gauntlets, which are a weapon type introduced in Three Houses, but they'd be a bit harder to squeeze into the moveset without altering the whole multiple weapons gimmick.
Maybe the gauntlets and white magic can replace his jab: gauntlets for 1-2-3 hit jab and white magic for a rapid jab.

I'm surprised to see more people didn't complain about Samus. Of the characters from the first two games she's the one that I think has the poorest level of implementation of her traditional abilities. At the very, very least they should put the Ice Beam in her moveset somewhere, even if it's just an effect on her forward Smash or something. She uses it in virtually every game and it's critical for her job of killing Metroids. Super Bombs and the Gravity Jump are also pretty noteworthy abilities she's missing, though the Space Jump in particular would be kind of hard to implement (not that I didn't try in that forum I linked above).
In the same vein, Dark Samus, while it makes sense to throw in as an Echo of Samus, actually has a lot of original attacks in the Metroid Prime games that aren't being represented at all.
EDIT: And I see people did end up talking a little bit about Samus too XD
Samus is fine, specialwise at least. The only real problem with her is in comparison to other gunner-type characters like Mega Man and Mii Gunner who have projectile normals and pseudo-projectile normals, so I think she can stand to steal some of their moves to replace her boring melee blows. Other potential abilities like the Super Bomb, Space Jump, and Speed Booster/Shinespark would be too hard to implement. Though I at least wanted Aeion Beam Burst to replace Zero Laser since it would be a canonically fitting Final Smash.

Likewise, I think Dark Samus only really needs to be different in her normals.

The Links have all his most classic weapons. Like obviously there's a tonne of weapons in the Zelda series, but the ones you would expect to be in almost every game are all there. With the exception of the Mirror Shield. It's not the most classic weapon compared to the bombs, boomerangs and bow, but it still is in quite a few of the games and feels distinctly Link to me. So I'd like to see it implemented some way. At least as some kind of aestetic option on one of his pallete swaps if not an outright alternate special that acts like a reflector.
The problem with the Links is that they could stand to have more distinct abilities. Even within the limitations of "keep normals", BotW Link should've had multiple weapons from that game, Young Link could transform into his various forms, and Toon Link could use the Skull Hammer. I would personally also add a TP/OoT Link as an echo for Link so that the old moveset is completely intact.

Actually he uses it in Hyrule Warriors.
Isn't that just another interpretation of this attack?

The backhand punch is definitely a reference, but I wouldn't call it the actual Warlock Punch. That said, if we get another Hyrule Warriors crossover and not one tied to a single game, I would want a punching weapon for Ganondorf just to silence the haters.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Even though I don't like Ganondorf's sword smashes from an aesthetics and moveset design standpoint, if those moves are any indication, I think 1-3 moves a game being changed wouldn't hurt. But they have to avoid changing moves that are already fun on their own; again Ganondorf's elbow and kicks were too fun to throw away.
The issue is that a lot of the things that are missing are things that would work much better as special moves. Stuff like giving Kirby his slide as his Down A is easily changed, but giving him like the Mirror ability would work much better as a special (and even Beam too I think, though I think someone suggested it as a forward aerial which I could see working).

I like the idea, but in practice, I think this stunt will further starve the next game of non-core content; Smash 4 and Ultimate already suffer from that. Also, I don't think every character has enough material for more custom specials. Finally, I think some moves are best reserved for normals, like Mario's hammer for example. Maybe that move can replace his up smash (it's not like his headbutt launching skyward makes sense as it is).
If we're talking 12 new specials for everyone then yes, some characters would struggle to reach that without making stuff up. But I don't think 8 specials (so an extra four) would be a bench mark for most of the cast to reach. And as I said in that thread to you before, another possibility could be to give them something like 7, but make it free to map them to any of the four inputs a player might want. Simon Belmont actually feels really unintutive to me as his specials are all on different buttons to characters with similar attacks to him, which throws me off.

I'd rather just see Mario Tornado move back to Down-B and turn the Goomba Stomp into his d-air like Doc. I still don't think anyone likes FLUDD from a moveset design standpoint given how situational it is. Yes, it will make the two more similar animation-wise, no I don't care since their playstyles would still be distinct.
I think you put too much stock in the name of Mario's old down aerial. Because in reality it's not anything like his actual jumping attacks in Mario games. It is just a really generic down aerial attack based off nothing. Performing a foot stool is exactly what Mario does in his games, he jumps off an enemy and leaps higher as a result. For his old down air to come back it'd need to actually have him bounce upwards like Greninja''s down aerial for it to in any way resemble his jumping abilities in game. Footstooling already does that perfectly. And adding damage to it would be a really easily implemented change.

Maybe the gauntlets and white magic can replace his jab: gauntlets for 1-2-3 hit jab and white magic for a rapid jab.
Not bad ideas at all.

Samus is fine, specialwise at least. The only real problem with her is in comparison to other gunner-type characters like Mega Man and Mii Gunner who have projectile normals and pseudo-projectile normals, so I think she can stand to steal some of their moves to replace her boring melee blows. Other potential abilities like the Super Bomb, Space Jump, and Speed Booster/Shinespark would be too hard to implement. Though I at least wanted Aeion Beam Burst to replace Zero Laser since it would be a canonically fitting Final Smash.

Likewise, I think Dark Samus only really needs to be different in her normals.
There's also the counter she has in her most recent game, the Metroid 2 remake. I don't think Samus should actually get a counter, but it is noteable for being basically the only melee move she has in her own games which, I don't think, they implemented into Brawl at all in Ultimate.

The problem with the Links is that they could stand to have more distinct abilities. Even within the limitations of "keep normals", BotW Link should've had multiple weapons from that game, Young Link could transform into his various forms, and Toon Link could use the Skull Hammer. I would personally also add a TP/OoT Link as an echo for Link so that the old moveset is completely intact.
I think adding more Link's is not the solution (custom specials are). I would like to see the Deku Leaf or the Sail Cloth act as the recovery for one of them though. Spin Attack was always an odd choice for a recovery on Link. I don't know why back in the day they didn't make his Hook Shot his recovery.

Isn't that just another interpretation of this attack?

The backhand punch is definitely a reference, but I wouldn't call it the actual Warlock Punch. That said, if we get another Hyrule Warriors crossover and not one tied to a single game, I would want a punching weapon for Ganondorf just to silence the haters.
In part yeah, but I do think the back handed punch is an intentional nod to Warlock Punch. Its faster than Warlock Punch, but it looks even more like it from a side on camera angle. And I agree, a gauntlet Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors using all his Smash Bros. animations would have been great.

Top Bottom