• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

West Midlands Monthly Next: Feb 11/12th!!!!!!..Look in thread!! BIRMINGHAM!

Smudge

Smash Lord
Well, hello, this snuck under my radar lol

Might have to try and make the journey down for this, be good to see everyone again, even if I was never that great as Melee xD

Weird question, will there be any Brawl?

Hao

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it, sounds like there's quite a few people coming up and I want all the TV's to be SSBM.

Oh yeah i'm gonna need people to bring set ups again, I still only have the one gamecube haha.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yeah sorry Alex, not really checked out on coach times and stuff, been mega busy but it looks like I'm gonna have to be back on the saturday night as I've got an interview on Sunday so you guys should book without me. I'll tell you the times and prices of the coach tickets I buy to Birmingham though so that you know when I'm going cos it's likely just gonna be the cheapest tickets or something.

ddiz

Smash Journeyman
anyone able to bring the project M demo
ive been curious about it since SNY

B.Mack

Smash Ace
because melee isnt an item-based game, and thus neither is Project M... Wario's sideB is now his trademark shoulder charge and his fsmash is some sort of strange... kick. kinda like forward air.... but grounded.

I still dunno how they are gonna work through Diddy though... bananas are completely against The Way of The Melee.

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
I still dunno how they are gonna work through Diddy though... bananas are completely against The Way of The Melee.
Good job Project M isn't Melee then. I think it'll be interesting to see them put bananas in (if they can). You shouldn't take away something THAT fundamental to a character unless it's impossible to implement.

melee isnt an item-based game
That's certainly a turn-ip for the books. Oh hello Peach.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I don't really understand project M. If you want something thats like melee then why don't you just play melee? After all melee is a LOT like melee. Also, if your going to change something, why not make new things rather than things we've already seen before

shanus

Smash Hero
Good job Project M isn't Melee then. I think it'll be interesting to see them put bananas in (if they can). You shouldn't take away something THAT fundamental to a character unless it's impossible to implement.

That's certainly a turn-ip for the books. Oh hello Peach.
We made trips techable from frame 20 onwards, so diddy can't naner lock but set-up a ton of nasty tech chases.

@Bullet_Bill, read:
http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2011/02/09/an-interview-with-the-project-m-team/

here's an excerpt:
Why emulate Melee’s style? Why not just simply play Melee?

Shane: We feel that Melee has incredible depth and excitement. It allowed for highly variable combos, embraced technical skill, and always left room for improvement. We analyzed what about it was successful and took Melee’s metagame as the source of inspiration for Project M, where we aim to be a “fast, technical gameplay” and still be incredibly fun.

This leads me to the answer of your second question: Why not just simply Melee? The answer is an obvious one, look at our character select screen! This isn’t just a Melee clone, it’s Melee and Brawl evolution. We have entirely new character metagames: weak characters in melee and brawl get the attention they deserved, and brawl characters add an entire new flavor to the melee environment. People that haven’t played a Melee-esque Sonic or Snake (as examples), don’t know what fun they are missing!

As we all know, Melee was not particularly well balanced, especially with the addition of wave-dashing (which threw everything out of order). Some characters, like Bowser, lacked a quality wave-dash and found it hard to compete against Star Fox and other quick characters. Since you’re tweaking existing characters to fit with the new style of play, is balance a priority and will characters that can’t dash well receive something in return? Do certain characters simply not mesh well with the new mechanics?

Shane: The Project M team has a strong focus on making every character viable in our engine. A lot of these characters didn’t need significant adjustments to make them viable, but some tweaks here and there to truthfully make them a force to be reckoned with. It’s funny that you mentioned Bowser as a character, as he is one of the characters that I think we (and our fans) are most excited for. In melee, Bowser had a hard time cutting through those fast, combo oriented characters such as Falco, Fox or Falcon. We rectified this in Project M by keeping Bowser as the slow powerhouse he is meant to be, and took a page from how Street Fighter dealt with heavy characters and gave him tight armor windows on several of his attacks to help him get through heavy projectile spam and faster characters. While on paper it may seem foreign to hardcore melee players, many playtesters have found bowser to be very enjoyable.

This reinforces my point on the previous question, of why not just play melee? Characters like Bowser have a ton more flavor, depth and potency.

Now not every character seamlessly transitioned to the Melee environment, so we had to make some changes. Certain characters (namely from Brawl), needed to have their movesets partially redesigned to fit into this fast paced, aggressive environment. A clear example is Snake, whose Brawl metagame relied largely on camping, his disjointed uptilted kick, and using grenades. We didn’t want him to just sit back and camp all day; we wanted him to have depth to be able to do mind-gamey combos where he can make use of placing C4 on opponents in a combo, or controlling the stage with grenades, mines, and more. While this was a lot of work, it made for an incredible product and one of the most fun characters in a game I’ve ever played.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I don't really understand project M. If you want something thats like melee then why don't you just play melee? After all melee is a LOT like melee. Also, if your going to change something, why not make new things rather than things we've already seen before
Dude you've asked this question like 10 times and received a good response every time. You can't play chars like mk/snake etc in melee so that idea doesn't really work out...

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yeah exactly, if Project Melee was similar to melee, and more importantly, felt smooth (one of the things i didn't like about brawl after getting used to melee) I see NO reason not to play it. Greater variety, a potentially new and exciting metagame to develop, ****s gonna be fun.

Love how the Project M crew manage to find any mention of Project M :) Can't wait to play it myself.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Dude you've asked this question like 10 times and received a good response every time. You can't play chars like mk/snake etc in melee so that idea doesn't really work out...
you can say what you want but it's a bit rude to discredit my opinion like that Alex. You tend to be very arrogant about a lot of things we talk about on the boards. Heres a newsflash- you're not always right.

My point is I don't see the point of making the game more like melee when there is melee. There would be new characters to play but they're not really new to me because I've played them in brawl. I've seen a vid of project M of a falco doing dair to shine on jigglypuff which looks EXACTLY like melee. It's a little boring and something I've seen before and experienced with falco hundreds of times. It's just my thought that it would have been more intersting if something new was created rather than shaping brawl into melee.

Revven

FrankerZ
you can say what you want but it's a bit rude to discredit my opinion like that Alex. You tend to be very arrogant about a lot of things we talk about on the boards. Heres a newsflash- you're not always right.

My point is I don't see the point of making the game more like melee when there is melee. There would be new characters to play but they're not really new to me because I've played them in brawl. I've seen a vid of project M of a falco doing dair to shine on jigglypuff which looks EXACTLY like melee. It's a little boring and something I've seen before and experienced with falco hundreds of times. It's just my thought that it would have been more intersting if something new was created rather than shaping brawl into melee.
There are many new things though, it's not just a "clone".

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
There are many new things though, it's not just a "clone".
thats fine, I just hope that the melee characters aren't too similar

The fact that low and mid tiers play differently, and a ton of brawl characters have brand new movesets just shows he hasn't done his research.

Watch the match on here (halfway down the page):
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/project-m/
I don't really care about doing research it just seems to be you having a problem with me having an opinion on project M

Jolteon

Every time Project M is brought up you say something along those lines, which is obviously invalid because the basis of your opinion relies on Project M being a Melee clone (which it is clearly not).

The opinion card doesn't always work.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I'm looking forward to this, Doubles should be really fun this time to XD

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

Silly Ben and your silly opinions which don't really make much sense and then you try to clarify that you're right by saying it's an opinion.

You do ask that question a lot and get back answers and still fail to see the differences, it's not gonna be exactly Melee, its not like Melee Hacks where you just change the music, textures and occasionally stages here and there but it's the exact same game, stop being silly Ben and stubborn since that's what you're obviously being and see the OBVIOUS differences.

BTW I want to come to this but i'm looking to get housed on Saturday night or if I get down there earlier (depends on what Jolteon books) cos I will prob be looking to leave like Sunday morning.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Well I want to go back to London on Sunday Morning as I want to go to my dance class so as long as I end up going back Sunday Morning then I don't mind what happens.

So isit ok to get housed by you Ed?

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Aaron I can house if you come with tam and alex they are staying at Eds Saturday night tho.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Ah ok, well we can all go to the Station in Birmingham and split up from there after the event :)

ddiz

Smash Journeyman
The vultures are circling now...
Im not confident ill do well at this anymore

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOL Don't get too demotivated DDiz, just keep on praciticing and make sure you practice your tech skill and gain as much control over you character as possible, once you do that you see a ridiculous amount of windows open in your smash game....it's happen with everybody.

Yeniths has noticed it and so has Unreal.

Jolteon

Ah thanks George that makes it much easier, I'll have booked the tickets in the next hour. :)

btw Aaron doesn't really want to go to wes' sdb thing so I think we'll just go back to yours on Sat evening if that's ok?

/e ok nvm I read more of the thread xD go on fb aaron so we can sort out what we wanna do

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Yeah you can head back to mine on Sat eve if you want that's fine of course :). Bham to Worc is like £5 or 6 with a railcard, so prof will get child prob :p

Top Bottom