• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Quirks

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
There is a lot of odd stuff that happens to me when I'm playing smash. I'm just wondering if anyone else has some personal quirks they'd like to share.

I main falcon, and for some reason whenever I neutral air, I have to press A twice, one for each kick. Don't know why, or how it started, but I just can't break it.

Whenever I usmash with Mario, my head turns in the direction of whichever way Mario's head is turning. Again, don't know why or how, but it's something I can't control.

When I'm super focused, I chew on my tongue. I do a whistle when something ****s me up. Two things I also I can't help.

Share your quirks here!

Kal

Smash Champion
This isn't a quirk, but I've patented a good way of talking ****. Any insult you plan on making, just preface with "hey, guess what happened."

They usually respond "what?" Then you say something like "it starts with j, and ends with 'ust got ****ed up.'" I know it's not that clever, but everyone laughs at it anyway. Smashers are stupid. =/

Bill_the_Duck

Smash Cadet
Every time I die up, I put down my controller, push back my hair before I get off the respawn cloud.

Massive

Smash Champion
I itch my nose every time I connect a rest.

My nose also itches like crazy when I get combo'd really hard.

My nose hates this game, but it hates losing even more.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Every time I win a match I look right at my opponent. I do it in other games too, but only when I win. It pisses them off so much. But I can't help it lol.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I blink every time I grab the ledge (even when I'm Firebird stalling).

I also press A twice when I utilt with Sheik. I thought it was required to get the second kick up until less than a month ago.

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
I main falcon, and for some reason whenever I neutral air, I have to press A twice, one for each kick.

I main falcon also. I used to do the same thing when I started playing, i don't anymore though.

I also used to move my mouth like I was talking to myself but I don't think I do that anymore.

hahaha, kinda weird stuff.

Every time I win a match I look right at my opponent. I do it in other games too, but only when I win. It pisses them off so much. But I can't help it lol.
oh, I do this too. I just realized this

Bill_the_Duck

Smash Cadet
Sometimes I sacrifice a chicken in the middle of a combo to ensure the gods' support in continuing it.

I didn't even notice I was doing it until yesterday I came home and my controller had chicken blood all over it

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
I smirk when i shine gimp people as fox. gayer shine gimp=bigger smirk.

EDIT: i've also been told i waveland more if im satisfied with my kill.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
Whenever I go for a rest with Jiggs I hold my breath very briefly. Can't help it, and I wasn't even aware of it until my friend called me out on it. I guess I get excited.

N64

Smash Champion
I steering wheel DI as well. I swear it helps.

I also tense up if I reeeeeeally want something to hit. Like instinctive arm muscle spasms.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
When I'm playing with friends on lulzy stages and die as Mewtwo I shout "NOOOOO CHARIZAAAAARD!" Was originally me being silly playing Brawl Minus but it apparently carried over somehow, lol.

I so weird.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Whenever I'm about to start a death combo, I grab my hat and turn it by 180 degrees to signify that ****'s about to go down.

toadturtle3

Smash Cadet
When I do falcon's nair, I hold the A button through the duration of the move. As soon as I let go of the a button I know it's time to fast fall the move.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Every time I land a boomerang -> bomb on my opponent, I clench my teeth. And every time I bomb -> dair, my hands slightly twitch.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Okay I KNOW this is weird but ever since like 2008 I developed this really strange habit when playing smash. It pretty much happens whenever I am really flustered or frustrated and in an intense match, if I lose a stock off the top and know I have a few seconds because of that and the invinicibility platform, I attach my black nope to the top of the gamecube or wii. I then lower my *** upon it fully whilst humsinging Every Rose Has It's Thorn. I know, weird right? I then shed a single tear from the pain (though I've gotten used to it) and go on with the match invigorated and inspired.

Orko

Smash Apprentice
Litterally every time I combo someone, I say my character's name in my head.

I think mooninite started me doing this...

oliman

Smash Journeyman
i lick my lips when i'm nervous. they were practically falling apart when i was done with my last tournament. i also become violent sometimes when i button mash.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
I play with my glasses off, but I always wear them to the match. Taking them off is like a pregame ritual of sorts.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
I have no tics while playing smash because any tell = another vulnerability to Sharingan

use mindfulness of the Pranayama and Asana to control your physicality while playing. I learned this from a pro.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Whenever I'm focusing super hard I sit cross-legged. I'm very uncomfortable in little chairs.
When I get nervous I need to itch random parts of my body.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Every time I DI a kill move my hands tense up, a lot. I swear to God my controllers gunna crack some time, I feel the body shift every time I do it. But hey if it saves me the stock.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
When I hyperfocus on a game (usually either in tourney or testing out hyperfocus) my head starts moving a lot. I bob my head around with character movement (both me and opponent). I also exaggerate all of my hand movements to the point where my hands are stupid sore after each match and my controller becomes stupid loud. It either makes my tech 5x more consistent or 5x more prone to failure. I haven't hyperfocused for a while though, playing super tense doesn't always work out.

On the flipside, I still make stupid faces even when playing autopilot but that's pretty common. I also continue to exaggerate my L trigger clicking (I have to completely straighten my index finger before slamming it down on the trigger).

Ballin

Smash Apprentice
when i'm focusing on a serious match, every time i get hit unexpectedly, my whole body leans back as if a balloon just popped in my face.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
I itch my nose when I die; my friend pointed it out to me back when I didn't even know what L-cancelling was.

Top Bottom