• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird/Defensive Characters

JOE!

Smash Hero
Ok, so when I browse around the boards there are two things I find predominatley described about characters:

"_____ is best played defensivley"

"_____ has such a weird moveset"

"_____ has an awesome defensive game"

"_____'s playstyle is so weird..."

This brings up the questions of:

Who is the "normal" character, when everyone and their mom has a "weird" playstyle?

Which characters are "aggressive"?

~~~~~~~
Off the top of my head, the following have "weird" playstyles:

:sonic::yoshi2::samus2:

And the following are "defensive" primarily:

:bowser2::olimar::dedede:

These guys are....normal?

:gw::mario2::toonlink:

And these guys are aggressive:

:metaknight::marth::diddy:
~~~~~~~

Anyone else we could sort into these...weird categories? :p

Sieguest

Smash Master
I would think Marth more of normal...I mean depending on the player you could work Marth Defensively and Offensively....
I would say the Ice Climbers are normal???

I wouldn't call Olimar defensive at all....some of the best olimars I've played have always kept the pressure coming...

but now that I think about it...I think it depends on the player on how a character would best be "played"...what do youthink

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
well, Mario is automatically normal, and Luigi is automatically weird(how ironic) since almost all his attacks have sweetspots or bizzare knockback.

I play Ness defensively, since I'm better at long range with him, so I'll say he's defensive.

jiggs would be both agressive and defensive, since you can't take too many hits with it, and you have to bombard your opponent with midairs to be effective.

Falco is pretty much bloodlusted.

Peach is uber defense.

JOE!

Smash Hero
^

Thats the problem, this thread is trying to figure out which playstyles fit each character best essentially..(and which ones are "weird" as in very unique or counter-intuitive to the way you;d think they'd play..)

I think i just presented it in an odd fashion :p

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
As far as weird play styles go, have you ever tried Link?

Project D

Smash Journeyman
to be honest I'm not sure it might be the character it could be the player...
I mean the character could be suited for an offensive style, but the player controlling the character plays them defensively.

Sieguest

Smash Master
to be honest I'm not sure it might be the character it could be the player...
I mean the character could be suited for an offensive style, but the player controlling the character plays them defensively.
That's how I kinda feel about it too...
if you can work it...do it!!!:laugh:

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I'd say ROB and Link have pretty defensive playstyles. Or at least they can.

I find Snake's playstyle not weird, but interesting.

MK's definitely aggresive.

Mario, Pikachu and G&W are pretty normal imo.

These are just characters that come to mind at the moment.

Moozle

Smash Champion
IC's definitely have a weird style, and so does samus (for me). I'd say that Marth is one of the most normal, and maybe diddy.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Pit is quite defensive: he has a projectile to keep his distance, a reflector and his side B attack is good for knocking back offensive players

But as said it really depends on the player, like I still need to work out how to do defensive (the shield is not in my smash bros vocabulary)

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
The thing is, basically everybody has some unique feature that makes them play just that little bit differently from everybody else.

They're all weird.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Samus is best played offensively. This is fact.

lol just kidding, i believe most characters can be played both offensively and defensively just as effectively.

The best is when you can do both and know how =D

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Defensive and offensive are moot, as it changes based on the player/character you're playing against.
Marth vs MK? Better play defensive.
Marth vs Falco? Better play more offensive at least.
Marth vs DK? It might just be the people I'm playing against, but you can get away with being pretty offensive against DK, so long as you know when to ease off the pressure, and how to pressure him safely.

You get the point I think.

As for "wierd", well comming from a background of many fighting games, I'd say Smash is all around wierd. Even going form Melee to Brawl; wierd.

Define wierd, or define normal.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
Defining weird and normal is the same thing I asked on the first page, his answer...
"Thats the problem, this thread is trying to figure out which playstyles fit each character best essentially..(and which ones are "weird" as in very unique or counter-intuitive to the way you;d think they'd play..)"

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Defining weird and normal is the same thing I asked on the first page, his answer...
"Thats the problem, this thread is trying to figure out which playstyles fit each character best essentially..(and which ones are "weird" as in very unique or counter-intuitive to the way you;d think they'd play..)"

Counter-intuitive to the way you;d think they'd play.... Hrmmm....

Okay, they're all wierd, because i didn't know the properties of their movesets when I first started playing them.

I didn't know that you needed to do an ariel before you can a-dodge after using Rob's uB.
I didn't know that Mario's dB wasn't his spinny like it was in Melee.
I didn't know that G&W's turtle was such a good shield pressure move.
I didn't know that Wario's sB was such a good recovery move.
I didn't know that MK could glide, even without using his uB.
I didn't know that you could combo Link's nAX2 into an uB at certain percentages.
I didn't know that Falco had chaingrabs (this applies to all characters with chaingrabs)
I didn't know that any character could make such use out of release grabbing.
I didn't know that Snake could Mortar slide.
I didn't know that Sonic would have to rely on spacing so much to win, when he's got such bad range.
I didn't know that DK's Congo killed at 20-30% less on a 9 charge than a steamy.

I could keep going, but I think you get the point. Pick me a character and I'll tell you why they are wierd, at least according to the TC's criteria.

They've all got very unique and counter intuitive properties .

And again, on the offensive vs defensive thing: All characters can get away with playing offensively against some characters, while needing to play defensively against other characters, while against other characters it's best to pressure and bait (which is playing offensive and defensive at the same time), and so on and so forth.

The TC is asking for statements that are so broad and general that there's no good way to answer them.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
What about characters that go both ways? I play a very aggressive Sheik, but a friend of mine plays a very defensive Sheik. Where does that fit in?

What about hit-and-run characters... like ZSS?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'd add ROB underweird. He's not defense or offensive, but just look at him. If I saw him in a trenchcoat at night in New York, I'd be running.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
ROB, Bowser, Pit, Samus, Marth, Tink, Falco, Snake, others, and Mewtwo. <Defensive peeps

MK, Sheik, Batman, Diddy, DK, Zelda, Peach, Zamus, and others. <Aggressive peeps

Olimar, Lucas, Lucario, others, and you. <Weird peeps

Noobicidal

Smash Master
No remarks as of yet that Ganon is a highly defensive character?

Eh, no one really uses him anyway.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'd agree on Ganon. If he has to approach, he loses. Simple as that.

Also, I play Ganon dittoes. No Falcon dittoes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For characters that are best played defensively, I definately say:

1. Bowser. Bowser easily gets chain grabbed and juggled so you have to be careful with your attacks. Setting up grabs and flying slams are the bread and butter of good Bowser players and so is getting out of tight spots useing the whirling fortress out of shield and fire breath.

2. Samus. Zair, projectiles, mind games with bombs, screwing around on the edge, etc. Her KO potential is among the worst in the game so you have to think carefully about your moves and rack up damage from afar or by playing hit and run.

3. Zelda. Her approaches suck so it's usually best for her to bait her opponents towards her with din's fire or playing hit and run with farore's wind. She has a lot of decent defensive options like her dtilt, nayru's love, and usmash so it's good for her not to just charge into things.

4. Marth. Played defensively, Marth is just freakishly irritating unless you have projectiles. I personally prefer playing this way instead of offensive when I'm playing as Marth.

5. Olimar. Aside from a campy Snake or Diddy, there's nothing worse than a campy Olimar. When played right, you can shut down a pretty good sized percentage of the cast if you play as gay as possible with him. :laugh: Throw pikmin, use grabs and go into follow ups when appropriate, and use smash attacks; that's all there is to it if you play smart.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
ZSS as the weirdest character in the game. Seriously, most of her moves are weird as hell, and have unique effects. Not to mention her weird *** recovery.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
well in a sense, that super tiny speck of a farmer's pikmin are pretty much a fortress, on the other hand, he can be used quite offensively since he won't get damaged much because they have such high *bleep* knockback. :mad:

Sieguest

Smash Master
Olimar is a freaking terrorist using Pikimin as disposable weapons of mass K.O.ing....(and they are.... @_@)

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
lol at Marthage^^^

I think Snake can be played defensively too: in difficult matches I end up using his projectiles and mines to help create barriers between the player and I.

I disagree Bowser is best played defensively (except a few moves such as his neutral B but could also be used to rack up damage) except in 3 or 4 player matches where he is likely to be combo'd

Top Bottom