• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Match-Ups!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
With DI/SDI, Dsmash probably would take 105ish to kill assuming you weren't at the edge, Usmash would be 80-85ish prob, Fsmash from the center of the stage 90-95, full punch bout the same as Fsmash, etc

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I doubt about Fsmash, it can be SDI'd VERY easily, someone very good at it *coughReflexcough* could tech it. [/theorycrafting]

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
In general this all means avoid getting hit by donkey. He hits like a trick so all he needs is 5-8 punishes to kill us. Btw I'm with the +2 group

LOE1

Smash Lord
also, grab release fsmash/punch doesnt work. just mash jump for those who dont know.
also, why whouldnt we ban DP against dk?

Croi

Smash Lord
Distant Planet? Well, the main platform sags when there's someone on it, so if you chaingrab DK there he'll always land higher than you, theoretically making the CG easier. There are a handful of platforms to save you from grab releases and when the big monster comes in from the side, you can just fthrow Dk in there like a chump. Stay away from the walkoff on the left, though, won't take much for DK to ruin our day there. On the other hand, down-throwing the bike on the slope does make for a good surprise attack.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
DK's bair and pivot grab can wall Wario pretty well just like DDD does. But as always, Wario has his ways to get past these.
Like S!C already pointed out, biting DK at 0-30% can always be followed by a grab (unless you trip lol). Definitely practice the CG for this one. I havn't mastered the CG yet so I'd actually prefer to play the DK ditto over Wario vs DK. DK has so annoying air release follow ups :X

You should go for U-throws unless you're chaingrabbing. After throwing him up, instead of blindly trying to u-air you could try to actually FAIR him. Fair kicks him further into a more disadvantageus position (due to DKs terrible forward offensive options. lol his own Fair) and you can follow up with dreams afterward. If he airdodges the fair then you can just easily time an u-air or a waft.

+2 for Wario.
you better agree with me on this one, xzx ;) can't wait to play you again.

LOE1

Smash Lord
Distant Planet? Well, the main platform sags when there's someone on it, so if you chaingrab DK there he'll always land higher than you, theoretically making the CG easier. There are a handful of platforms to save you from grab releases and when the big monster comes in from the side, you can just fthrow Dk in there like a chump. Stay away from the walkoff on the left, though, won't take much for DK to ruin our day there. On the other hand, down-throwing the bike on the slope does make for a good surprise attack.
thanks, i'll cp there alot more now

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
also, grab release fsmash/punch doesnt work. just mash jump for those who dont know.
also, why whouldnt we ban DP against dk?
Grab release Fsmash AND Punch are guaranteed. They come out before Wario can jump, and if Wario gets hit by those moves when they are used instantly that means he can't jump. The Fsmash btw is the up angled one, dunno if it makes a difference if you angle it or not but just to be safe.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah... but it's not super noticeable like angle'd Ftilts for a lot of characters

Tesh

Smash Hero
It doesn't look like trying to angle it changes the animation or hitbox placement at all but ....

xzx

Smash Lord
This MU would be -1 to Wario if it wasn't for the ultra lame CG we have that destroys this MU. DK is good at outranging us with tilts and most aerials, with the tilts being really quick. His Up-b is suprisingly good at knocking 'n' blocking Wario (and it has SAs too). Bite is a useful tool here, but if you miss/spam it... bad stuff are going to happen most of the times. Wario can juggle DK and he comboes him pretty well too, but DK can both kill us and outrange us. If he grabs you it's a stock gone/massive damage. Seriously, play safe and avoid getting grabbed. Killing DK can be hard and nerv wreckng sometimes, but just hang in there. The bike as a projectile + tires help us to avoid the pesky GR. Yeah, like Will once said: "Donkey Kong beats Wario in every area..." but Wario has the CG. Anyway, +2 with stupid CG, -1 without (GR makes it -1 IMO, and not "0").

Croi: +2
LOE1: +2
Attila the Hun: +2
Iota: +2
Jebu-95: +2
xzx: +2

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Xzx told me he's not gonna have a computer till the middle of next week. Gonna call this MU done so let's move on to Ike!

LOE1

Smash Lord
i think its even to a slight +1

guess i cant judge too well off of wifikes, but is he knows how to space, gettin in a hard, not to mention ike has an infinate on us :|

i think someone said most of the stuff ya need to know earlier, and i agree with dat. ikr grab broken. i actually need help with this mu

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Just mash for Ike infinite. It shouldn't work until higher % when he pummels. There is no 0-death threat from it basically. Grab release into Bair still hurts.

Like I said earlier, being able to punish stuff like Jab 1 consistently puts things in your favor. Grabbing, especially shield grabbing, is one of your best tools for this MU unless Ike decides to use aerials for his wall (wrong idea most of the time)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
+2 for Wario. Chaingrab is unfortunate for him. It's really not at all a bad matchup for DK otherwise, I think.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I will agree with +2. although we can chain to tripple didget % from 0 by a grab or even start it off from a bite, he can grab release us to full charged DK punch and upsmash which hurts hard. idk where people are getting +3 from..

LOE1

Smash Lord
i dont believe we have something that clanks with it..except mabey a dair from above

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
YI would never be played on. Strike or ban it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use literally any ground attack to clink or beat Up B. If DK's Up B works like Sonic's side B glitch (and it should), you can still hit DK out if Up B if your attack would normally out-prioritize/override his Up B. Wario also can just bounce a tire in the way and grab DK for free.

I don't even think YI would be a good bet for DK otherwise. Even if you let him Up B, he is still on the ground after the invincibility, ready to be read for the grab. If he platform camps, he can still get grabbed and chaingrabbed to death up there. If anything he should go for a stage with small platforms and uneven ground to mess up the CG. Like Lylat

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
DK v wario sucks if the wario knows the chaingrab, but is only 55:45 wario if wario doesn't IMO. DK has to rely on early kills and reading wario's grab attempts to get anything done, as well as taking some control in the air if possible.
I honestly have no idea what we would CP against wario, probably a level with more platforms.
I say it's probably +2 or +1. not +3 def though.
and also related to the invincopter thing, wario can DI out of DK's up B and get a fart until like 90%, a wario does it to me constantly at locals. it's actually pretty hard to jump in and get the right waft because it's ambiguous when DK's up b starts to wind down (not to mention he can slide around quickly at the end).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I thought DK's invincibility lasted until Upb was completely done/he could shield stuff before getting hit? Because I've tried challenging it before with Bite after the last hitbox goes away, and DK is still kinda sitting there getting his arms back to his body and it's not til much later that Bite gets him.

Croi

Smash Lord
The invincibility lasts for the entire animation, not the attack. He'll be invincible during the startup and ending animations as well.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah that's what I thought. Because I've definitely shielded/avoided the hits, tried to punish him on cooldown, and he's still flashing lol.

xzx

Smash Lord
Riding the bike beats DK's up-b. Or at least if we angle it upwards.

Croi: +2
LOE1: +2
Attila the Hun: +2
Iota: +2
Jebu-95: +2
xzx: +2
(S!C): +3
TheReflexWonder: +2
Dynomite: +2
waldorf2007: +1/+2

Sorry for derailing this thread, but the reason was that my laptop charger didn't worked so I had to buy a new one. I feel we have discussed DK for a long time now so let's move on to Ike!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Pretty much what croi said, I bet it feels like fighting marth in slo-mo for you guys
I would say its +2, but thats because I suck at fighting wario, so +1 it is

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
The match-up goes on whether or not you can bait Ike to do laggy things. Really, aerial mobility and awkward juggling/combos is what you have going for you.

Ike can beat you in every way-- jabs, range, nasty grab releases, whatever-- except he can't always handle your aerial mobility. Many Ikes will resort to spacing Nair at the best timing they can or to spammed pivot grabs. Whoever messes up gets smacked nicely for it. But generally, Warios have more patience, and it's easier for Ike to mess up and get punished.

I hate assigning numbers to match-ups. But I'll say against a good Wario, it's somewhat irritating. No more than +1 for Wario. Some could call it even.

lolregrabinfinite
(Which was only EVER practiced by me... and still not used in tourney)

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I've never played a good Ike offline and basically all Ikes on wifi tend to lag. .- . Gonna say +1 though. Ike has a lot of range but he doesn't have the necessary speed to deal with our mobility properly. Ike has u-tilt, u-smash, bair, and an infinite out of GR so avoid getting grabbed.

Top Bottom