• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Alright, first thing I saw was that you keep trying to momentum cancel/spotdodge out of fright when you get hit by vertical knockback moves. Pikachus eat that **** up. Wait until you regain some horizontal movement before you airdodge or you're going to eat the thunder every time and die quickly. Another thing is that you spotdodge way too often before moving, probably a WiFi habit because it's more safe on there. You powershielded an upsmash of his and spotdodged, when that would've been a guaranteed whatever for you. Don't let them QAC lock you, you can DI really hard to either side after the footstool to make it almost impossible for them to land it. At least you SDId and got out quickly.

You should learn to powsershield. Pikachu's TJolts are pretty slow, so powershielding them is easy as hell. Just walking approach him while powershielding and he won't really get any good options to punish you while running out of room. You can also bair over TJolt balls because Wario's hurtbox changes shape/becomes more horizontal while he does it. Nair and fair easily beat out TJolts. Jab does too but it's riskier. Ftilt beats them out while possibly beating PIka as well. Random fsmashes (lost your second stock this way) are bad offline, as they are much easier to punish. Save them for landing lag/obvious airdodge or when the opponent is near the edge so it pushes them off. Random bikes are similarly much easier to punish. Use them primarily to punish repeated dodging/rolling, or just lay it on the stage if you're annoyed with TJolts.

You need to be less scared of TJolts on stage. If you have to, take the hit from those isntead of whatever followup the Pikachu is going to do, since they (like many projectiles) can frame trap you, but they're from from being incredibly dangerous. It looked like in this round you were trying to SDI Pika's dsmash to the sides, you want to go up to get out. If you shield Pika's dsmash you can actually both shieldgrab and buffered fsmash him to punish it. Last thing was just don't mash jump/up when being grabbed so that you don't get grab released.

OK, this round ESAM wasn't even abusing Pikachu vs Wario anymore, he was just waiting for your spotdodges and punishing them with his multi hit moves (makes it easier, but good players will always catch on to these patterns and give you the **** for it). This is an issue a lot of Warios have, especially in transition from WiFi to offline (I had it as well). You need to learn to wean it out. You can spotdodge, but when you do it excessively (as you did in this set), you get destroyed for it, as evidenced in this round.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Alright, since I'm not sure if people actually visit my thread or not and this is active enough nowadays I'll just post my videos here.

These were mostly friendly/seriouslies and then a MM against Zigsta's PT. The tournament videos against this same Olimar (I did much better) and KPrime's Pikachu shall go up eventually.

MM Vs. Zigsta (PT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Xk_FsyLa0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWxDAgV3ug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNuwLGj9Zg

Vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLTAun3waLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ObjOfpy_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jss87xCVU5w

THESE ARE FOR YOU, BASSEM. HOW TO GIMP ICs 101!

Vs. Hylian (ICs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYq5JbjiQy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Rz7vze0qk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRuUHeQWqq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb9zHrKBLSM

If you want revenge for my critiques on you, now's your chance to critique me back or comment on my playstyle or whatever. Just... don't give me any "don't approach an Olimar camping the side of a walkoff" comments (*knows they're going to happen now*)

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I think you were talking to Bassem, but I'm going to give some unwarranted advice.
Against Zigsta you seemed to have trouble with Charizard. You were hit by a lot of things that you really shouldn't have. It just seemed like it was mostly lack of experience maybe? Just get to know his hitboxes.
Zigsta's Squirtle is scary good. Anything that may have been less than great against his Squirtle can pretty much be attributed to him being nasty. Nice job on winning that set though.

Against SkyPirateCloud (What a stupid name) you tried predicting his rolls A LOT at the beginning and he just wasn't going were you expected him to. I saw jabs in the opposite direction of him and bites upon landing that just whiffed and were punished. That stuff works on a lot of people, but just give it a stock before you try it so you can see if your opponent is going to play like you expect.
In the second game, at the end, it was obvious that he was just going to chill on that right side and wait for you to do something laggy enough to get a grab. I know you like playing aggressive and Olimar is the right character to do it to, but you should have just waiting that out a bit. You might have won that match.
I also counted (yes really) and you landed exactly 0 Upairs in the first match, 3 in the second, and 4 in the third (but that match was kind of a joke). You might consider using Upair to kill the pikmen. It will kill all of them off of you always. Dair works pretty well, but you landed that a ton so I think Upair might be a better choice.
There were also a few times you tried some silly follow-ups that had no hope of working, but I'm sure you realized it right after it happened and know it's just a risk of playing aggressive. Just keep in mind that the only good follow ups to Nair are when you are very close to your opponent. I'd just retreat if you hit them kind of far with the strong hit or if they end up anywhere above you.

Against Hylian I really can't say much, you play that MU superbly. Just don't stay on the ground at all, you're so unpredictable in the air, and a small handful of times you shielded, rolled, or spot dodged in a bad place and got punished.

Some things that I liked a lot:
-that ledge drop waft against Zigsta's Charizard with the edge was dirty
-a few times you did down throw and started charging a forward smash in the opposite direction, I do that too and it's nice to see it sometimes works in higher level of play
-all of that platform dropped aerial stuff on SV, I want to steal some of that
-SO MUCH NAIR!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dthrow to Fsmash in the other direction shouldn't work if they understand the true pitfalls of Dthrow. Rolling away from Wario generally is the safest, as it requires you to fully chase them and for characters like MK they recover before you can punish them. That and shielding guarantees you can only get grabbed or chomped. But I digress, it can work sometimes and now they know

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Haha, I will confess that I don't worry too much against PT because it's PT. It's very unlikely that I will lose to one as the characters are just that disparaged. Regadless, I will ALSO confess that I find Rock Smash to just be a weird move in general. It comes out in two frames or something so even when we hit him/the rock it can still hit is or some weird **** o_O

Also, just for a little fyi, Upair can't kill the pikmin that latch onto your lower back, as that's the only place it doesn't have a hitbox :p

The Bassem thing was just ICs related, b/c Hylian hard counters him so he needs to see the vids. I appreciate the commentary of anyone.

Lastly, I'll do the dthrow charged fsamsh thing maybe once or twice in an entire set, just to see how they respond. If it works, it will probably only work that one time, if it doesn't, I watch how they react so that I can use it later after another random dthrow (people tend to reuse something that just worked for them, silly little habit). Also, Bobby, the safest thing they can do is actually DI up and jump away, if they roll (especially near the edge), they can get bike techchased and put in a bad position :)

Oh... and NAIR. IS. AMAZING. So many uses for it, so much versatility.

(What do you mean by "platform dropped aerial stuff?")

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not every character can jump after Dthrow though.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, if they cant' jump roll away or just shield.

EDIT: Just watched my first round against Oli. I don't know WHAT I was smoking that game but I got the most random kills. Jab cancel > bair and dthrow to charged dsmash... wtf? XD

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
(What do you mean by "platform dropped aerial stuff?")
You drop through the platform on SV and jump back through with Nairs or just fall through with Upairs. You did some other weird stuff when you were dropping through, but I can't really remember at the moment. It was pretty ill.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I know this is a little ridiculous to say but sometimes it looked like PX was just sandbagging cause there were times he read the opponent like a ***** and could have killed him instead of grab. this was much apparent in the match against zigsta. against the oli, it looked soooo sloopy like he just wanted the match to be finished rather than actually try.

but yeha, in those vids there were so many good things, his use of bair was really good and his reading was just sooo ridiculous. The nair use was a bit too much as sometimes it was just thrown out after dair and such but many warios love that move so I can't really say much on it, I should use it more.

Overall, **** accurate!

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
dthrow fsmash works on DK iirc, like before 110%?

and wolf at certain percentages but its weird and know one knows how stale/the percentages
ill get michael hey to test it one of these days lol

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
Masky, may I have the honors of being the Toon link in your team?

I heard your wario is indestructible and probably the best in the world.

:toonlink:

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty

tedeth

Smash Master
The best critique I ever got was from Fiction at EVO last year and I think it's something we should all take notice of. Two simple words: "Get better"

That's the trick everyone. Go forth to victory.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Alright Ima start updating the thread once a week i'm getting lazy. So I'll update at the end of the week.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Idk why no1 else has said it, but amazing matches vs G nes. U had a lot of control with the bananas and idk if this is true or not, but it looked like you were very familiar with the MU. I thought it was pretty cool stuff. There were a few points where I wish u had better followups out of trips. I remember first stock of the first match you could have landed a glidetoss trip to waft, but you opted for jabs. Other than that I mean it was really solid play. I would try eating bananas occasionally just because eating them makes him toss another. I mean its not something you do 100% of the time, but it has its uses.

I don't really have anything negative to say about it. I would have gone to the same CP. Possibly Castle Siege instead. I guess my one critique judging from the vids would be that you didn't use your B moves to their full potential. U could have made things far more annoying for the diddy player if you had a bike sitting onstage and ate projectiles occasionally.

BR u gotta stop using Fthrow when the bananas are that close to you. U just trip and get fsmashed. Upthrow is the future. Get with itttttt. <3

Wario matches really do come in groups. Wario vs Pika was first now Wario vs Diddy. This is cute.

hunger!

Smash Champion
**** blue...i dont think you know how to play against diddy. although props for being the only other wario besides me that does glide toss fart. and yeah. malcolm knows what's up with upthrow. jump at em and bait an airodge. free anything. AZ had really impressive banana control in those matches but if you played like how you did in m2 you coulda won that set easy. Quit camping diddy. just get up all in his grill and he can't do shiit. you'll get em next time so w/e :) dont be afraid to use those nanas back at em. wario's a beast with those things

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
**** blue...i dont think you know how to play against diddy. although props for being the only other wario besides me that does glide toss fart. and yeah. malcolm knows what's up with upthrow. jump at em and bait an airodge. free anything. AZ had really impressive banana control in those matches but if you played like how you did in m2 you coulda won that set easy. Quit camping diddy. just get up all in his grill and he can't do shiit. you'll get em next time so w/e :) dont be afraid to use those nanas back at em. wario's a beast with those things
If you seen AZ and Blue's other set I'm fairly certain he knows the match up he just didn't get it done this time around.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I have done glide toss fart before just not in tournament. I think px may have done it too. Its risky haha.

tibs7

Smash Champion
@hunger: camping diddy is actually way more effecient on certain stages such as sv. AZ killed him at like 100% which lost him the game.

Top Bottom