• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I only put out after the 3rd date

Exceptions: Atomsk and Allied feelin me up

B.Mack

Smash Ace
DMG and Atomsk, teach me how to play gaay... :(

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think of Glutonny? His playstyle? Is he the best Wario? Etc.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Gluttony is an exceptional, smart Wario player, but I believe his tech skill with the bike is subpar compared to his tech skill with his tires. I believe our best Wario player Hunger (who uses tires like champ) can still outplay him, but results may tell otherwise. Still, Europeans have a completely different set of players, as do we, so there is no real way to tell who is the "best" wario, honestly, unless we have a national ourselves and have him come over here. If he gets *****, then that's the difference.

We can't just send one or two players over there and then automatically assume that he's better than all our warios because he beat Ally. Neither can we assume that we're better than him, simply because we haven't gotten any results to prove such sillyness. (I'm not saying that beating Ally is the only reason that people believe he is the "best", but that's about the only reason there is to highlight right away for now. I know he's good)...

If Gluttony was on the PR, I'd rank him just below Fiction or something. And above me. (but I'm still better than him everyone with the bike ! ) :D

Gichan

Smash Champion
Ok...yeah I have haven't posted here in a while but i was at a tournament yesterdya and have some questions.

1) how do you deal with olimar's usmash? Like i have a hard time approaching cause of the usmash and obviously its what kills me all the time.

2) i have such a hard time getting rhe bike out to use it. what are some good situations where i should take out the bike to get the tires. an example is how it's good as ivysaur to get a bthrow then switch immediately.

3) Is G&W still a ***** to deal with as Wario? I got my *** handed to me by one, like i wasn't sding the bairs though but what was bothering me was his nair and uair shenanigans. The killing power wasn't even my main bother it was just all his tools that did.

4) When is RC good to to counterpick? I know not against ZSS, ROB, MK.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I find it's better to approach Olimar with fairs or diagonal dairs... you cant approach him from top or he will usmash you and from the front you will get fsmashed or grabbed... you just need to judge it better.

EDIT: I think Glutonny would beat most DDD's... he knows how bad grabs could be... its like assuming Glutonny would lose to an IC.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Yeah I told them beating me (even though I played like trash in gfs + **** the crowd) I unno how they would handle top players from USA etc. I fed their ego too much and didn't sleep during those 3 days at all, I was probably weak in my mind. In other news I beat M2K once on Brinstar with Wario at polybawl 5 lol

Gichan

Smash Champion
ally gtfo lol. go **** holy wit dat wario though LOL.

Damn if you guys saw holy's raging against ally's wario, **** was mad jokes.

Anyways, i thought kryst would jump at a bike question, I still would love more input on my questions especialy on oli's usmash.

And are fairs that good? wouldn't usmash still beat it? Or fsmash, grabs?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Yeah I told them beating me (even though I played like trash in gfs + **** the crowd) I unno how they would handle top players from USA etc. I fed their ego too much and didn't sleep during those 3 days at all, I was probably weak in my mind. In other news I beat M2K once on Brinstar with Wario at polybawl 5 lol
Sucks this is being held against you but :urg:

Congratz on the m2k win. I thought that was pretty solid.
Dair goes through olimar's (uncharged) usmash. Olimar's pikmin moves have bad priority.
only if your dair is out already, upsmash should beat a start up Dair.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Ok...yeah I have haven't posted here in a while but i was at a tournament yesterdya and have some questions.

1) how do you deal with olimar's usmash? Like i have a hard time approaching cause of the usmash and obviously its what kills me all the time.

Short-hop, fast-fall, air-dodge behind olimar during his upsmash, and either: Powershield next smash attack, dodge (spot or roll), grab, chomp (little unsafe...), or bike.

2) i have such a hard time getting rhe bike out to use it. what are some good situations where i should take out the bike to get the tires. an example is how it's good as ivysaur to get a bthrow then switch immediately.

- Pull out away from opponent (turn and jump repeatedly)
- Pull out and ride away from opponent (same)
- Pull out after knocking away opponent (same)
- Pull out and instant-wipe out against the ledge.

3) Is G&W still a ***** to deal with as Wario? I got my *** handed to me by one, like i wasn't sding the bairs though but what was bothering me was his nair and uair shenanigans. The killing power wasn't even my main bother it was just all his tools that did.

GW depends on your MU experience primarily; he's technically an anti-air type of character, and forces you into the ground. His tools are extremely painful to deal with without the type of experience you get from playing someone who utilizes all of his tools.

4) When is RC good to to counterpick? I know not against ZSS, ROB, MK.

ZSS: RC, Frigate, Brinstar, Delfino
ROB: Delfino, Any neutral not named FD
MK: Norfair, Frigate, Battlefield, Brinstar
Sorry Gichan, I was looking at your questions but I didn't have time to answer them right away. Above is condensed answers.
Long, detailed version below.

1.) Dude, seriously, unless you're on wifi, there's no other excuse for this attack other than ambiguity... Oli-upsmash is like a SLIGHTLY faster Toon Link upsmash, and HARDER to see. That's the only problem with it, really, is the inability to TELL what the !@#$ kinda move he is using.

To be honest, I think I'd have trouble with it myself now because my controller is being a !@#$% and won't let me fast fall, but really, to combat it, you HAVE to short hop fast fall air dodge past him to land perfectly behind him and either chomp or grab because olis stay in their shield. Grab is a better option, and if they spot dodge it, make sure you're shielding IF they're facing away from you, and ROLL into them if they're facing YOU. Once they get trained to see this, they're start to roll or spam upsmash over and over, if you do it right, you can powershield the NEXT upsmash and get a good hit in.

If they start rolling often, run them over your bike. It's sorta risky because it turns into a guessing game, but if I'm CORRECT, you can avoid a grab if you wheelie, and the front of your bike will eat the next (if any) upsmash, instead of you, and if they roll OR spotdodge, they can be nailed by the bike. Just don't use the bike away from them unless you want to be upsmashed or something stupid in the middle of your ride toward this spaceman.

2.)
- Pull it out and ride away from them. Turn immediately when you are on the opposite side of the stage, and if you don't wipe out, start tapping jump to get off.

- When you knock them away, pull it out, turn around immediately, and again if you don't wipeout, jump off (buffer those jump inputs in while you're just turning, nothing else you can do, just keep tapping)

- Either of the above, only instead, run off stage's ledge (if solid, not fall-through), pull out bike (forward-B TOWARD the stage) immediately, and run into the stage, the bike will immediately wipe out onto the stage with you safely inside of it. Proceed with ****. (either it be a trap for on-stage camping, a tool for defense (projectiles, etc), or total carnage off stage (throwing it off the stage at a recovering opponent, or c-stick-up it into the sky for a trap))

3.) Smart G&W's will play the same style as any other G&W, the difference is how much they pursue you. A very aggressive G&W will attempt to seal off your options for air-camping and will pursue you with every tool they have including UP+B (see UTDZac).

To combat this plank of digital mass, you got to play it like you're playing Lucario, get your farts charged to 1:00, camp him when you're at a mediocrely high percent (no one wants to die at 80 and this guy will do it!), use your bike on the ledge like point 3 of question 2 I said when he's off stage, and look for moves to punish (likely to be either his upsmash or lag frames after key if you time it right, you can even clap him from his abuse of UP+B invinicibility frames, you have to time/read it though and hit him at the height of his arc). It's terrible fighting this matchup with no experience against GW (and by experience I mean someone who will abuse these tactics and play you on a daily basis like I have had), so fighting GW and his tools comes easier with that. I suggest you get some wifi in on some GW's or something and try not to focus so much on the tips you are given but moreso the things you ARE doing wrong and figure that out (why did you get by nair the first time? Why are you staying above him for nair and uair to hit? What can do you to avoid these issues?)

The best thing I can describe GW is a !@#$% that likes to ground Warios, so you're going to be fighting him primarily on ground... JUST because of those tools. Your worst position IS above him... Honestly.

4.) ZSS, Rob, MK... RC... I'm not sure what to answer here because of the context of the question. I'll just say that all three can excel on RC. ZSS probably much less so than MK, and a little less so than Rob. ZSS is better to take on somewhere with less edges, so RC could work, Frigate would be a bit better, and then I'd suggest Brinstar/Delfino. I think for Rob you should pick Delfino or just pick a neutral. MK is better to CP to a stage you feel the most comfortable on fighting an MK, and the best places I can suggest are SV (for bike throwing and camping yourself), Frigate, and...jeeze this is hard...um.. honestly, the only other stage I'd ever personally feel most comfortable fighting MK CP-wise is Norfair if legal, otherwise I pick another neutral besides FD or YI (leaving PS1/Lylat or BF)... Meh, definitely BF.

Gichan

Smash Champion
yeah the only way i used the bike was the ledge trick other than that I couldn't find ways to get it out. I can't believe I couldn't imsply consider driving away then wiping out at the other side lol. Nor have I considered buffering jump on turnaround.

I also realized I do not airdodge as a mindgame at all and that's a bad thing. I need to do that more, I'll try that against olis more.

and I didn't know being above G&W is bad lol. I do remember phantomx saying sheldgrab all dai.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I didn't say airdodge into him, I said airdodge behind him. There's a difference, believe it or not.. (essentially you go into him, but that's not the point, the point is you don't just blindly airdodge into the upsmash and hope you don't get hit, it's timing and spacing.)

It's only good for when you know he's going to upsmash and you can cover the distance with your long-*** air-dodge all the way right behind him, and he only has a variety of options based on which way he was facing.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I know I asked this already, but I got some vague answers:

How many frames from blocking wario fsmash do I have to punish Wario?
there's a frame data thread that's stickied. You can do pretty much whatever you want. If you want to know exact frames look for the frame data thread that's stickied.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I know I asked this already, but I got some vague answers:

How many frames from blocking wario fsmash do I have to punish Wario?
If you block his first hit on frame 9 you have 35 frames to do a move.

44 total - first hit on frame 9. I'm sure the frame data is correct, but i'm not sure if i needed to subtract a frame here & there for shield stun. I'm guessing this is correct if you perfect shield it.

Gichan

Smash Champion
is airdodging behind opponents good in general? Specific to some chars?

And I'll have like one set up, against the oli who owned me, do I post it here in this thread or in the critque thread or both?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Don't you guys have a GR DACUS on MK?
It's too easy to see it coming. What options do we have out of grab release?
1. Dacus
2. leave mk alone because he ***** us.

If we just hold him. He is obv expecting a dacus so he can just SDI and dair us.

How much damage do we profit?

Dacus does like 6 damage if they do a bad job of sdi-ing if not around 3

How much does mk's dair do? Like.. 12

we profit -6 damage from this..

Yet I still do it.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Dacus does like 13% damage, wut. dair does 19% whats going on here... although grab release Dacus is just not a good idea. you could just effing throw them.

EDIT: please tell me we can do this and it isnt just Ally messing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJTPk5uMa4 < at 0:51 Glutonny does the aerial footstool thingy to escape grab release bair.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He messed it up. Bair is guaranteed framewise

Gichan

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82c-BDc9Oo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AruU4TDrzs&feature=related

Just cause I know more people look in here rather than critique thread. I went into this match knowing oli's buffer the **** out of usmash so I was afraid of approaching. What are some ways to get in their easily.

Also you can see why i ask those questions earlier. the bike falling off the stage so many times cause i didn't know how to use it. And what are mroe effective ways to use tires against olis. since they camp is it better to throw them?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
cause my thread got closed cause i retardedly forgot there was a q&a thread XD

what is the usuall wario sub? who do you sub and a lil why?
i sub pika first cause i used to main him second cause i hate dedede and falco.
use whoever you want as an 2ndary you don't need to have one. I use Zelda as a 2ndary though.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Pit here, sir. Technically I double main the two of them now, but I won't be able to show proof of that until SiiS 4. I'm going (mostly) all Pit (I love wario enough that I'll simply use him if I'm not having fun XD)

Top Bottom