• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Call me crazy, but I like Rainbow Cruise against MK for Wario. Much more difficult than Wario's other MUs on RC, but still, it's not a stage I'd ban if I was planning on using Wario an entire set.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Eh alot of mks are really gay there. I like taking them to sv or brinstar usually. But i didnt win the first match so i was at a disadvantage :(

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Its so easy to kill mk on that stage though with the blast zones and ceiling. I think i remember killing a rob off the top at 60% with 1:50 fart. Fart is really broken :p

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK is very good on Brinstar, you should probably ban that against a MK who understands what to abuse there against Wario.

Padô

Smash Lord
Its so easy to kill mk on that stage though with the blast zones and ceiling. I think i remember killing a rob off the top at 60% with 1:50 fart. Fart is really broken :p
I killed a MK at 30% there with 1:50 fart, it kills everything, also killed my dog yesterday.

BTW, it's what DMG said, if the MK knows what to abuse from Wario on this Stage... The match gets REALLY gay.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Meta Knight controls the stage much better than Wario does. It's easier to KO him, but that doesn't really make up for how ridiculous he is at keeping an edge over Wario on that stage.

Which reminds me; do we have any gimmicks involving the space in the center of Brinstar, where the stage is held together? I know a few characters can lock opponents there until the lava begins to rise. Not sure about Wario though.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can get regrabs if you grab MK and he lands on a slanted part (and you are on even ground or a lower part of the slant). This works til about 60ish? Maybe. And technically it isn't guaranteed until like 20ish % as if they are perfect they can buffer a spotdodge to escape by a single frame. Otherwise you nab them.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Btw can wario infinate ppl on ps1?
Just noticed this when playing a mk and i grabbed him between the mountain and the platforms :D
Normally wario cant cg ppl since they fall to far away but their they dont :)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Aggro Wario. I couldn't bring myself to camp worth a ****.

I was a monster on Brinstar, though, haha... again though, not at timer running, b/c DMG has that honor.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Man, I honestly don't really think I had too many "tricks." Anything major I'd talk about here, naturally. I just was really good at spacing/weaving opponents' moves to where I could still punish it. That's honestly not something you can tell people to do, they have to grasp it for themselves.

I think it's basically just against ICs that I have a lot of tricks, haha. Really though, ask me specific things and I can think up stuff, I hate broad questions.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Man, I honestly don't really think I had too many "tricks." Anything major I'd talk about here, naturally. I just was really good at spacing/weaving opponents' moves to where I could still punish it. That's honestly not something you can tell people to do, they have to grasp it for themselves.

I think it's basically just against ICs that I have a lot of tricks, haha. Really though, ask me specific things and I can think up stuff, I hate broad questions.
So spacing and weaving? I just want to know when you're playing a top level MK what goes through your mind.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Let's see, the stuff I need to remind myself most often is to SDI all his multihit moves, that his dair is easy to punish with good positioning, to NEVER retaliate/attempt to attack him/airdodge through him after I've been hit by something (though this is something to keep in mind against almost every character), to take my time and not force anything, even if he's at lethal. Make sure if I'm approaching him, particularly in the ground, to plan to perfect shield his nair oos so I can punish it. Aaaaand if I'm at about 145/150, watch out for the invincible/grounded up B, since that's what they always get me with.

While doing this I'm obviously looking at any patterns or habits that they have so I can punish them. A lot of MK players think that SH landing fairs are safe against Wario but Wario is able to, with good timing, airdodge all three hits of the move and buffer into waft which hits MK during his landing frames.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
I searched through the forum, but couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd just ask:

Is weak(est)-fart -> follow-up possible? (because of the trip)

I landed it sometimes, but other times not, and I'm just wondering whether it's a solid mixup, or just a screw up on my own/opponent's part.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Its useless in singles, but if youre teaming with a ddd in doubles you can use it to perform the "mocko combo"

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Thanks, <3 gimmick teams~

And thanks, PX. Strategies like that are very useful for us players who are still getting the hang of playing matchups like MK.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Let's see, the stuff I need to remind myself most often is to SDI all his multihit moves, that his dair is easy to punish with good positioning, to NEVER retaliate/attempt to attack him/airdodge through him after I've been hit by something (though this is something to keep in mind against almost every character), to take my time and not force anything, even if he's at lethal. Make sure if I'm approaching him, particularly in the ground, to plan to perfect shield his nair oos so I can punish it. Aaaaand if I'm at about 145/150, watch out for the invincible/grounded up B, since that's what they always get me with.

While doing this I'm obviously looking at any patterns or habits that they have so I can punish them. A lot of MK players think that SH landing fairs are safe against Wario but Wario is able to, with good timing, airdodge all three hits of the move and buffer into waft which hits MK during his landing frames.
Alright I'll try to keep that in mind.

Padô

Smash Lord
Aggro Wario. I couldn't bring myself to camp worth a ****.

I was a monster on Brinstar, though, haha... again though, not at timer running, b/c DMG has that honor.
I remember the first time I thought: "WTF, I'm playing like DMG on Brinstar, lets try P.X"

It worked. BUT, DMGs style also WORKED REALLY WELL plus I got johns from the MK I camped.

Not comparing both just saying you can apply one style or another.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I remember the first time I thought: "WTF, I'm playing like DMG on Brinstar, lets try P.X"

It worked. BUT, DMGs style also WORKED REALLY WELL plus I got johns from the MK I camped.

Not comparing both just saying you can apply one style or another.
You could play both styles.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
If wario wasnt so shy about touting it would be useful :/
Instead while wario is scratching his head ppl just get up attack him

Lord Chair

Smash Master
SOMEONE needs to learn how to play Wario bitte sehr.
Warios should step it up, 90% of you cows are still making the silliest of mistakes, trying things that don't work and not doing things that work (See what I did there? I just called you, the reader, likely to suck). Stop playing Wario aggro when there's really no chance for it to work, stop covering your landing with fair, stop failing to cancel your dair, stop committing to dair ALL THE TIME, stop missing those farts that were practically guaranteed, stop thinking your opponent does not know Wario when they do in fact know him, stop leaving your bike onstage, stop getting chaingrabbed by Falco because you didn't bother camping.

(for the sake of this post having structure)

Stop whiffing fsmashes, stop playing aggro against MK, stop with not using your aerial mobility when there's no reason not to, stop with blindly throwing tires away, stop using DACUS (or upsmash at all), it's horrible, stop using aerials on full, predicted shields (BITE), stop trying to fsmash through Phantasm when you haven't got the timing, stop trying to CG when you haven't got the timing, stop doing stuff that requires timing that you haven't got.

Stop baiting grabs by ftilting shields when you know your opponent knows better than blindly dash grabbing the obvious spotdodge that comes, stop spamming spotdodge when shield is the better option, stop with always using your double jump, start mixing up, stop with SH FF bairing, it doesn't work.

Start doing those little things that Wario's game is build around. Start grab ****** BECAUSE YOU CAN. Stop downthrowing when your opponent is Meta Knight and he has the space to roll backwards, stop using uair to destroy your bike.

Stop with that awful spacing you got, because it is likely to suck. Stop being so amazed your uair doesn't kill even though it has been featured on Stale-magazine for 6 times now. Stop rolling. Stop trying to nair OoS moves that you cannot punish that way. Stop jumping into smashes you could've avoided through multiple ways.

TL;DR: Stop sucking, because the majority of you guys are doing just that.
Still love you

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Hey now, a random backwards roll once in a while as Wario is ok.

You forgot to mention stop getting into repetitive patterns.

And I hope you take your own advice, Chair, lol.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Subtle hint noted, we all have patterns.

Though I do not quite understand which one in particular you were referring to, or even as to how you know any of my recent games.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It was a blanket statement, you just didn't include it in your big paragraph :) I was just assuming that, since you're not some big and famous player, that you could probably benefit from following your list of advice, since it's a good list, haha.

I think unpredictability was one of my biggest strengths. We play a versatile character, there's no reason to stick to patterns. Patterns are punishable in all fighting games.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Well, considering spacing/position is key to not getting yourself ***** or having limited options in most every game, I do consider having a bad position to be a form of punishment. The severity of the punishment varies in every game, naturally.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Depends. I would consider bad position a punishment depending on why you are in it, and how you can recover from it. You can put yourself in a normally bad position, which surprises the opponent cause he doesn't expect for you to willingly do that, and then you make the best of it and punish him instead.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That's putting yourself there, not being pressured into it, haha. That plays into psychological aspects of fighting games. Technically, you're still in a bad position, meaning if you didn't freak them out, you're ****ed.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Depends. I would consider bad position a punishment depending on why you are in it, and how you can recover from it. You can put yourself in a normally bad position, which surprises the opponent cause he doesn't expect for you to willingly do that, and then you make the best of it and punish him instead.
IDK man to me seems better to not even put yourself in a bad situation like that just on the off chance you may have an opportunity to punish.

Top Bottom