• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

duckypwns

Smash Cadet
I'm considering starting as Wario, but I'm having trouble making his aerials useful. Any tips? Also, should I be on the ground or in the air more?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I have a few questions. Toobusytocare told me that Wario's up angled Ftilt beats out every one of G&W's aerials. Now maybe I'm just a practical guy, but I tried many times in a tournament match, and I never landed 1 Ftilt. The range is BARELY long enough to go through G&W, but the startup lag makes this move less useful against a fast G&W. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I missing something?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You are correct. Ftilt will beat out a lot of attacks when spaced right, however the start up lag is significant enough that not only obtaining that spacing is hard, but preserving that spacing before getting hit yourself/before the opponent can move away is also very hard. I rarely use Ftilt in matches, although there are some very good applications for the move against moves that Wario can have trouble with normally.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually, Nair spaced very well beats out Ftilt. The Fish stick out far enough from G&W that they hit your arm/fist as it reaches out during Ftilt. Even when Ftilt is completely out, he can "poke" your arm/hand with it. It's kinda like how Wario can Ftilt DK punch while his arm is extended out, except also in G&W's case while you are extending it out too, before the hitbox occurs.

Padô

Smash Lord
I watched a lot of Mk Vs Wario matches, probably all of PX, Bassem, Dyno, DMG and others.
Iv'e notice that all of em the Wario isn't approaching with anything that involves DoubleJumps, is this important here or something sometimes I feel predictable when approaching with that...

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
I watched a lot of Mk Vs Wario matches, probably all of PX, Bassem, Dyno, DMG and others.
Iv'e notice that all of em the Wario isn't approaching with anything that involves DoubleJumps, is this important here or something sometimes I feel predictable when approaching with that...
opponent has much more time to react. if they're smart they'll just cover the pivot grab option everytime the see you do it...**** neo lol

I'm considering starting as Wario, but I'm having trouble making his aerials useful. Any tips? Also, should I be on the ground or in the air more?
i feel like nothing i tell you will matter

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Three main things can go wrong when you DJ approach a lot against MK:

1. He shuttle loops randomly/knocks you offstage and now you have to start worrying about recovering when you shouldn't have to.

2. He hits you and keeps you in the air with tornado and leaves you with few options.

3. He uses this extra time to space better and forces you away.

There are some uses for DJ approaching against MK, but for the most part it's dangerous. I'd rather approach on the ground TBH. Approaching on the ground against MK is underrated slightly. There is a lot you can do if he isn't playing perfectly and doesn't expect it.

Padô

Smash Lord
Ground approach... I've been abusing from that. Powershield something then SH Dair or Nair, its awesome, or just grab + pummel for 14%

Gichan

Smash Champion
What do you do against a snake who is spamming nades put putting them in effective places. Eveyrtime i approach there is either a nade about to explode or he has one on him so if i hit him i get *****.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
What do you do against a snake who is spamming nades put putting them in effective places. Eveyrtime i approach there is either a nade about to explode or he has one on him so if i hit him i get *****.
Approach from the ground grab him make sure you have port priority.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It means you have that many frames to act before your opponent. I don't remember if DMG used the word correctly in that thread or not. Sometimes he goes crazy with terms.

Asa

Smash Hero
when are the best opportunities to land a fart? I have a really hard time finding times to use it

is it better to wait for the full waft or are the one minute wafts good enough?

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
when are the best opportunities to land a fart? I have a really hard time finding times to use it

is it better to wait for the full waft or are the one minute wafts good enough?
When your opponent has used their double jump, try to predict where they will try to land onstage. If you can, place yourself there and wait for them to airdodge. If they do, it's a free waft. Personally, I wait for them to land after an up-air, up-throw, or DACUS.

The best time to use a waft is really personal preference and can depend on the situation. If you want the kill at low-mid percent, then it's best to use it between 1:20 and 1:50. If you want to use it to get a ton of damage, use a full waft.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Snake(if hes out of gimping range), ddd, marth, donkeykong, diddykong, rob. Its good against like all the med-bottom tiers too. The only characters that its generally not a good idea to use against are falco because if he grabs you, he can chaingrab to spike you to your death and mk because he has mad gimpage.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Is the Futile who got 3rd at Winter Game Fest the Wario who used to **** back in 08'?

Grinpis

Smash Cadet
how i dacus with wario ?, ¿is any video for that? i cant get the timming.

is useful or efective a jab cancel with wario?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
how i dacus with wario ?, ¿is any video for that? i cant get the timming.

is useful or efective a jab cancel with wario?
You Dacus with Wario the same way you would with snake. Practice more until you get the timing. Jab cancel is effective with wario.

Padô

Smash Lord
Does bite beats Snake's Dacus?
A campy Snake here waits for me to approach while he throws granades then DACUS the other side and repeats de process, any tips?

bassem6

Smash Lord
I believe bite beats the first part of the dacus before snake pulls the mortar out. The mortar has like a disjointed hitbox so you cant bite him after he pulls it out as it will just pop you up like snake's upsmash normally does if youre close to it.

If you predict the dacus, you can fsmash him out of it.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
i saw some amazing wario vids from a player from japan not to long ago... i forgot his name can anyone help me locate some vids of some japanese warios?

Excellence

Smash Champion
I have a question: What are Wario's advantageous and negative zones? And what part of the stage does he work best and worst on?

For example, R.O.B. has negative zones beneath him because that's where he has no defense except for down air which is crappy and shouldn't be considered anyway. Olimar has below him as well because after his down air there isn't much the floaty guy can do.

Don't tell me it's based on play style. That can be made to warp any answer. But just off of his strengths and weakness as a chracter, what would you say to the above questions?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have a question: What are Wario's advantageous and negative zones? And what part of the stage does he work best and worst on?

For example, R.O.B. has negative zones beneath him because that's where he has no defense except for down air which is crappy and shouldn't be considered anyway. Olimar has below him as well because after his down air there isn't much the floaty guy can do.

Don't tell me it's based on play style. That can be made to warp any answer. But just off of his strengths and weakness as a chracter, what would you say to the above questions?
I think its match up dependent.

Gichan

Smash Champion
It really is matchup dependent. Like for DDD, I used the advice about staying near the ledge so when i get grabbed I don't receive like 60% damage, instead it's one dthrow to usmash. So in that case Wario works best at the ledge of the stage but that obviously isn't the case for every char.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Okay. Well, I'm currently playing as (in this order from best to worst) Olimar, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario but I'm converting myself to Wario main-100% and everyone else not so much because I perfer him the most. My friend's Marth is giving me a lot of trouble and I know that part of it is because I told him what works and what doesn't, I'm also impossible to predict (except for the fact that you'll take damage somehow) and so he continually WoP's me. I really have a tough time when I actually have to go offensive. How can I get past WoP's? I know that I can run in, Power Shield and then grab, smash, double f-air, or N-air but other than that and going around things I'm lost because I can't get in.

Unrelated question: Anyone feel like they start to lose once they realize they're going aggro?

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
<---- not a wario main
Is there any way, to get the old school custom online in teams? D=

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Okay. Well, I'm currently playing as (in this order from best to worst) Olimar, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario but I'm converting myself to Wario main-100% and everyone else not so much because I perfer him the most. My friend's Marth is giving me a lot of trouble and I know that part of it is because I told him what works and what doesn't, I'm also impossible to predict (except for the fact that you'll take damage somehow) and so he continually WoP's me. I really have a tough time when I actually have to go offensive. How can I get past WoP's? I know that I can run in, Power Shield and then grab, smash, double f-air, or N-air but other than that and going around things I'm lost because I can't get in.

Unrelated question: Anyone feel like they start to lose once they realize they're going aggro?
I start to lose when I camp because its as thougj i've lost all momentum. I wasn't aware that Marth had any WoP.

Top Bottom