• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
When you see the sick stuff the pros do...

No.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
...I'm trying to figure out how to keep up with the rest of the good players in my region. I have limited experience, and being young doesn't help when the only tourneys I go to are an hour drive away from me that happen once every 4-5 months.

My main question I think that can help me keep up is... "How do you guys manage to land the fart on them?" If I even attempt it, they're most likely just going to punish me and I'd take a whole lot of a percentage. And I've also had mine power sheilded several times too.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
you can't really get punished for doing a fart unless you do it when its not charged at all.
Well... I never actually get a chance to pull it out. I guess sometimes when I focus on accuracy I end up doing it too slowly, and don't pull it off at all. That's when I really get punished. :/

Asa

Smash Hero
I've noticed that i throw out fsmash quite a bit

Should I be saving it?
or does wario have enough killing options that it doesn't really matter?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
...I'm trying to figure out how to keep up with the rest of the good players in my region. I have limited experience, and being young doesn't help when the only tourneys I go to are an hour drive away from me that happen once every 4-5 months.

My main question I think that can help me keep up is... "How do you guys manage to land the fart on them?" If I even attempt it, they're most likely just going to punish me and I'd take a whole lot of a percentage. And I've also had mine power sheilded several times too.
Try to force them into situations that increase your chances of you landing a fart on them.

Should I be saving it?
I think it's just a matter off preference.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman

Should I be saving it?
It's pretty match-up and stage dependent. Fsmash and Upair are your most reliable kill moves. It's generally a good idea to save one or the other.

Save your Fsmash:
-against DK and other characters with crazy vertical momentum cancels
-on stages with high ceilings (I think FD has the highest ceiling for neutrals, nothing comes to mind with CPs)

Save your Upair:
-against characters with blindspots below them or characters with bad Dairs that the clap can beat
-against characters with good horizontal momentum cancels (G&W, Pikachu, Wario, Luigi, and to a lesser extent MK)
-on stages with low ceilings, transformations, or movements (Delfino, Castle Siege, Rainbow Cruise, and Halberd), the ceilings contract during transformations or upward movements.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Eh, saving fsmash isn't all that vital, we have more horizontal killing options than vertical ones. It would probably help to save it on stages with tremendous ceilings though (like Japes, for example).

Drift108

Smash Apprentice
what are the best ways to effectively use chomp with wario

i think my favorite is dair to chomp at low percentage or wen they r on the ledge just trying to read them

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking about getting into the Wifi ladder. What kind of stuff should I expect and how should I modify my play style?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
what are the best ways to effectively use chomp with wario

i think my favorite is dair to chomp at low percentage or wen they r on the ledge just trying to read them

if you're going to throw a chomp out, dont half-*** it.

if you miss you're gonna get punished either way

Go big or go home.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I've been reading into grab-release mechanics, and i can't seem to find out exactly what triggers the ground release. Supposedly, if i buttonmash and break free during a pummel, i ground release - otherwise i air release.

When playing, i seem to groundrelease from time to time if i don't buttonmash to break free, and wait the grab out instead. Any specific information about how air / ground release works? Having more ground releases could sure help my Wario. Inb4 don't get grabbed.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Don't hit jump/up on any of the sticks when being grabbed by someone who doesn't dangle Wario's feet off the ground (those that do will always get air releases unless you break during a pummel) and you'll ground break.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure if thats true phatomx after all ive tested this against ppl who dont have air release on me. I usually just tap A and i will sometimes air release anyway. I heard not pressing anything when getting grabbed by ppl who dont have air release will always make you ground break but then they can just get in more pummels.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I just tap down repeatedly on c stick and control stick and always ground break. Also, eating the measly pummel damage is very preferable to eating a kill move or something, lol.

I take the middle ground :)

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Someone should do some testing on which characters dangle Warios feet off the ground and post the data here. Seems pretty relevant to Warios metagame. Though not getting grabbed is preferred, of course (albeit impossible).

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I just tested, and you can avoid air release against Meta Knight.. I need not know more, lol.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I just tested, and you can avoid air release against Meta Knight.. I need not know more, lol.
MK doesn't have a grab relase on Wario unless he grabs you on the edge of the stage or pivot grabs you out of the air.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Or unless you struggle to break free, if you do its a free shuttle loop. But why would we wanna do that ^o)

Asa

Smash Hero
can you sdi out of marth's DB

not the down dancing blade the standard one

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah. I think you have to go through him if you're like, right in the thick of it. If it catches you near the tip of the sword, you want to SDI away.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'd seen it. Wario's dacus is sadly less than epic. Would be hilarious to spotdodge > this from across the stage, but I'd be very surprised if it actually hit anyone that was paying attention.

If anything, it might be an amazing getaway move.

Asa

Smash Hero
what do you do against a snake that jab cancels/1st hit ftilt to grabs a lot

can i grab him/spotdodge before he grabs me

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If you DId the jab into the ground you can dodge the grab, but you risk eating the second hit of ftilt or getting read. If you get hit by the first hit of ftilt, try to SDI through him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You just get the right spacing, Bike, and turn around at the edge/incline. You have to be either in transition speed, or going full speed I believe (I've not done it while going slow).

Top Bottom