• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
i think i asked this already, but is there some thread that details what every character can grab release wario into and how to deal with it? i was dealing with a sheik recently and I realized too late that I could SDI down hard into upsmash to survive alot longer (does 30 damage tho yikes).
Just out of the top of my head characters that can GR wario are

Marth Tippered fsmash or Utilt
Snake Bair or utilt
D3 Utilt or bair
Zelda LK
Gannon
Fsmash
C. Falcon Knee
Ike Utilt
Sheik USmash
Yoshi Usmash
Charizard Usmash
Donkey Kong Usmash DK punch
Peach Usmash

They basically have access to All of their moves. Bolded characters can infinite Wario from a grab release. Red means that that character will kill you before 100. Green means you can't DI their option Zelda's LK has some weird properties and can't be SDI. Italics means that you can saved by a platform. The move next too the characters name is what I believe they'll try to kill you with.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Has anyone gathered all the possible GR options for all characters? Even for those who need to grab Wario by the edge of the stage to force an air release. Would be interesting to know.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Has anyone gathered all the possible GR options for all characters? Even for those who need to grab Wario by the edge of the stage to force an air release. Would be interesting to know.
None of them really matter except for diddy and MK. If they grab you next to the ledge you're in for some pain. With Diddy he'll most likely nana lock you to set it up and then GR spike you. MK can SL or nair you which can be pretty awkward to DI. Other than think I'm not sure it's worth testing the whole cast to find such an unlikely thing out. Even if they did have an option it doesn't seem to be too amazing. It will be more common with MK and Diddy though. However, of the characters that can GR you some of them have spikes I believe Marth Zelda and Gannon can spike you. Maybe DK can as well but I'm not sure.

Knee can be SDIed.

Ganon can fsmash.

D3 utilt kills earlier than usmash.

Marth utilt kills earlier than usmash.
Thanks Chair I really couldn't remember anything else although I'm not sure how I missed d3's utilt I think I just forget about that move.... But are you sure about Falcon's knee? I remember reading that moves that freeze the game like Falcon's knee and Zelda's LK can't be SDI'd.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I didn't know Charizard could air release wario or that ganon could infinite him...

Could anyone tell me the worst things that can happen if I get grab released onto a platform (like BF height). I've been getting decent at avoiding grabs in places where the worst things can happen, but I figure I need to watch out for quick aerial and air grabs.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
i have a question :D

Is there a way that we could stop the grab release? THAT FATASS JUST MAKES ME ANGRY, I ALWAYS GET TIPPERED

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I didn't know Charizard could air release wario or that ganon could infinite him...

Could anyone tell me the worst things that can happen if I get grab released onto a platform (like BF height). I've been getting decent at avoiding grabs in places where the worst things can happen, but I figure I need to watch out for quick aerial and air grabs.
If you're under a platform you're typically self. Some characters can still you though Marth Snake and Peach can all tag you with their utilts. I also left off Bowser from my list I believe he to has GR shennigans on Wario.

Tesh

Smash Hero
No doubt Bowser can infinite. He has a massive frame advantage and already has many nasty release on alot of the cast anyway.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
No doubt Bowser can infinite. He has a massive frame advantage and already has many nasty release on alot of the cast anyway.
Lol, it's like Melee all over again.
Bowser has a grab release on everyone (except DK I think) in which he could re-grab them.
The timing for it depends on how fast you can react though.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
None of them really matter except for diddy and MK.
Wolf has an infinite on us if we get grabbed by the ledge. (And if we used our second jump, so it's more situational than I remembered.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgoLuPfxK8g

Don't know if he can grab release to spike without us having used our second jump, but it's something. I think a few others characters have something similar to this as well.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wolf has an infinite on us if we get grabbed by the ledge. (And if we used our second jump, so it's more situational than I remembered.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgoLuPfxK8g

Don't know if he can grab release to spike without us having used our second jump, but it's something. I think a few others characters have something similar to this as well.
you can hold away and DI away and AD it looks like to me. but you prob shouldn't be getting grabbed by wolf (or any character for that matter) outta your second jump and if you are then you deserve whatever happens to you.

Geerz

Smash Cadet
Can I get some tips on the peach MU? I've been lately just poking at her and farting/fsmash when she's in kill percent, but I don't know if there is a better way to play the MU

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Can I get some tips on the peach MU? I've been lately just poking at her and farting/fsmash when she's in kill percent, but I don't know if there is a better way to play the MU
That seems about right except I'd go for waft/uair for kill. Fsmash is laggy and you can get punished pretty hard for it.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
you cant really get a kill in this matchup unless you set up for it first, setups on peach are rather annoying to do

uthrow, high percent fairs and high percent dairs do the job tho, should set up in uairs and farts

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
So, I recently stumbled across a thread on the D3 boards posted back in 2009 that mentions Wario has a "Standing infinite boost grab, Dthrow, boost Dthrow until around 192%" on King DDD. Is this true or were they incorrect? Has anyone tested this? Is it just too hard to do? Wouldn't "boost grab" be inputting dash > dash attack > cancel with grab and would it have to be buffered? I just wanted to ask if anyone knew anything more about this before I fiddled around with it. Below is the thread. CTRL + F "boost" to find the segment easily.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245025

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think it was proven false. His regular CG on characters is very close to frame perfect, and that's the much quicker buffer turnaround regrab. Like 7 frames or something. This takes like 11+ frames to do, and probably lets Dedede spotdodge or get away.

Wario however DOES have a CG/regrab in certain spots involving slants. Dedede normally flies too far away from Wario for regrab to work. Slants however slide him back down to Wario close enough that he can regrab. These go away at higher %'s, but they do work even in places like Halberd.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think it was proven false. His regular CG on characters is very close to frame perfect, and that's the much quicker buffer turnaround regrab. Like 7 frames or something. This takes like 11+ frames to do, and probably lets Dedede spotdodge or get away.

Wario however DOES have a CG/regrab in certain spots involving slants. Dedede normally flies too far away from Wario for regrab to work. Slants however slide him back down to Wario close enough that he can regrab. These go away at higher %'s, but they do work even in places like Halberd.
How slanty does it have to be? Could we park it underneath Yoshi's Island, for instance?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
YI I don't think so. Either that slant doesn't come into play, or it only lets you CG someone who already fails to the CG slightly longer. You CAN definitely do it on the platform when it is tilted, and on places like Lylat in the middle when it tilts, but idk about in the middle of YI or somewhere next to one of that stage slant. It might allow turn around jab to be a true combo though, idk. Dthrow Buffer Dtilt still works (not a big deal, but kinda cool poking at him that way.)

Frigate
Halberd
YI Pipes
Pirate Ship
PS1/2
Castle Siege
Delfino
Brinstar
RC
etc have slants that allow it

Starters: YI platform
Halberd
CS
Delfino
PS1/PS2

Characters the regrab works on that normally does not:

Dedede
Snake
MK (stricter % it works on, and stricter Dthrow staleness levels needed.)
Few others

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why can't I grab release Ness and Lucas into Dtilt? Am I buffering dtilt wrong?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you cannot grab release ness or lucas into Dtilt, either they slid too far (shouldn't be an issue unless releasing them onto weird ground/over a mini cliff) or you are not doing it right. You have more time to do stuff than Dtilt. You can Fsmash them out of grab release, and that's slower than Dtilt.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, but I try to mix in dtilt at lower percents, or if I've staled Fsmash and I know it won't kill. Is there anything else I should use? Like can I get in a nair or something?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Nair is probably too slow. You only get 10 frames for a punish. Stuff like Fsmash is ideal. Keep using Fsmash. Even if you stale it, it's your hardest punish. Besides getting a regrab, but that's only guaranteed if there is a wall.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Can I jab? I mean if Fsmash won't kill, isn't it a harder punish to keep him close and follow up?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Nope. Best punish is almost always Fsmash because while it stales Fsmash, it still retains enough power to send them offstage/airborne where you can still try for an advantage. If you get enough grabs to have to worry about staling it, you are still getting all of that free damage, which makes up for not killing with it immediately. Pummeling will also help to keep Fsmash not so stale.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Are you sure about that? I know you can influence where you get released, but I didn't think you got far enough away.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
@DMG - Thanks for answering. I knew about the slants helping CGs but I don't incorporate it into my game just yet. Thanks for reminding me to fix that.

We can only do an option on Lucas/Ness if they pummel break right? Otherwise they air break for us in which we have no options. And don't we get Jab > Regrab on them if they pummel break? Or is Jab > Grab sort of gimmicky and not frame advantageous or is and is percent dependent?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I checked in training and Lucas can NOT DI out of the GR far enough to prevent being Fsmashed.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Jab to grab is more gimmicky in that scenario. Certain times no matter what you do, it's not guaranteed. Other times they have to SDI the Jab. The save bet is to just keep Fsmashing lol.

Top Bottom