• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Everyone is talking so positively about the MK MU that now I feel stupid asking questions on it. but regardless, here it goes.

1. What do I do about their walls. Not fair walls, I simply airdodge at the right time and grab it (ally taught me that one), but of nairs to dtilts, or nairs to ftilt.

2. Like I seriously hate it how Mks can throw moves and one of them will hit. how do I deal with MK's priority?

3. What are some effective ways to get the bike out aside from ledge crashing. I don't want to risk screwing up and getting gimped. I also try to double jump away form the stage and then bike and jump but then MK gets such a free upB or follow up

4. Do I wait on MKs to make a mistake? If yes, what do I do if they are the ones waiting for me to **** up?

1. just airdodge behind them, right after the nair, when they think they can punish you with ftilt or dtilt. then you can grab them from behind. or airdodge in and weave out, then you can bait the move after nair and punish it.

2. you cant deal with his priority, you just have to learn how to space better, we still have far superior air speed which makes a huge difference that most people dont notice.

3. you can insta-crash it with the method I described a few pages back. alternatively, you can just short-hop bike and jump off. then you still have your double jump and you can airdodge or whatever. the bike will bounce one or two times and stop.

4. you always wait for your opponent to make a mistake. if MK whiffs an fsmash(and maybe dsmash) especially when they charge it, that should always be a free dair. Dont try to shieldgrab dsmash, you'll most likely whiff and eat another dsmash or an UpB

Now for some olimar questions.

I don't uair their shield anymore, and I get some grabs a lot. BUT I don't know how to deal with olis under a platform and olis that pivot grab all day. The pivot grab beats out all my approaches while also covering my bite and fastfall grabs. I also learned no ftilts against olimars unless i know i'll hit it, free grab...

ALSO, tires and bike aren't as effective because pikmin stop them in their tracks while also getting to me and sneaking in percentage.

Then, if I nair their shield i get usmashed!

What do i do in that MU?
you shouldnt get usmashed if you nair Olimar's shield, space it better.
one way to approach Olimars that I notice works pretty well is jumping and airdodging to behind him. that way if they pivot grab you get a free punish and they cant hit you with anything unless they make a hard read. double jumping and fastfall dairing from slightly behind is awesome too.

Get ***** Olimar in the air, bait them with fake claps when they use the whistle to fart, tires here are a blessing since they get rid of Pikmin, fully landed bair is not a bad idea here to get him oos, I hvae some videos against the hell of Olimar that is Tkila, that is very known in USA, and went to a MLG, you should check them =D
link the vids then

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
MK is a pretty tough matchup if you are learning it. It's something we've all had to do, and are always in the process of doing. One thing that can help is knowing your character, and also knowing your opponent's character extremely well. Learn how many frames each attack lasts for, the startup frames, the aerial and landing lag after every move, and try to pay attention to patterns that your opponent has.

1. About walls: Wario's shield is a great asset in getting past walls, along with his bike and tires. When MK hits your shield with a move, he is running the risked of getting punished by oos optioins. Wario has pretty awesome oos options (Oos Nair and Fart are my favorite!). Your focus should be finding out which options work, and use them effectively.

For example, if MK Nairs against your shield.... wow you've just been given a christmas present. Nair, Fair, Bair and Fart all work as Oos options against MK's Nair! If you want to do an aerial out of shield (or B move), you have to jump first. Jumping out of shield cuts a few frames off your shield drop animation, so it makes your move come out faster. Remember, you hold down shield and press jump then your move, in that order.

2. MK's priority: Wario has a bit of trouble going toe to toe with MK, and you will notice that you generally end up on the losing side if you try to. What Wario must do is work around those quick high priority moves, and strike either before or after they are thrown out. MK has little lag sure, but he doesn't have NONE (well, most of the time). Notable moves with punishable ending lag are MK's Nair, Dsmash, Dash Attack, Dair, Ftilt (after 3rd hit) and Fair.

You may be saying "How is MK's Fair punishable???", but it is! It took me a while to figure out, but the trick to beating MK is to find his vulnerable openings, wherever they are and however small they may be.

3. Getting the bike onto the field safely: The bike is a risk/reward tool for sure, especially against MK. If your bike is on the stage, MK will see that as a green light to try and gimp your ***. Your job is to A. Not get gimped, B. Destroy your bike ASAP and get the tire(s), and C. Use said tires to maximum effectiveness.

Edge Crashing is a fantastic way to get your bike on the stage, one of the best ways in my opinion. It's not a hard technique to pull off, just practice a lot so you don't mess up when it matters. Also, be careful and only Edge Crash when you are safe. Good times to do this are when MK is all the way across the stage, or has been hit by a strong move off the stage, and edge crashing + throwing the bike is a legit edgeguard.

Other ways to get the bike out are like Baron Mack said, but he forgot the Instant Wipeout. The Instant Wipeout is when you pull the bike out, and then instantly crash right where you are with very little lag. Nobody knows how to do this 100% of the time, nonetheless it is one of the most efficient ways of getting the bike on the stage. Be careful about jumping high in the air against MK, this is a favorable position for him as he will attempt to cover your landings and/or hit you with aerials (all we can do is dodge really).

Oh small bit of advice! MK players think they're sooo smart, covering your landings with Dsmash. Answer with a fart right on top of their head! MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!

4. No, you make them mess up. Nothing is going to fall into your lap, you have to make it happen yourself. My advice is to practice with tires. Practice breaking the bike quickly, getting tires consistently, and practice ATs like Instant Throwing, Z catching and Glide Tossing. Practice in training mode, Shadow Moses Island is a great place to mess around with tires (as long as they are bouncing, they will not disappear!). Tires are a fantastic tool, and the more you practice the more confident you will become! Good luck :)

Gichan

Smash Champion
thanks for all the advice guys. Oly one thing is really confusing me. Nair the shield better? I really don't get it. Like, is there a vid out there that shows what you guys are talking about?

Like to i retreat when i nair? Or is it that I'm to fastfall right away?

B.Mack

Smash Ace
when you nair, move out of their range before you hit the ground. or at least land behind them so they cant shieldgrab you

B.Mack

Smash Ace
there's a critique thread and a video thread. Why post it here?

was about to watch it but I dont/cant help with doubles sorry.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I definitely have some advice for doubles. Nicks you had awesome spacing, and you solo game is generally top notch. However this is doubles, and not singles. You and your teammate had very little team synergy, and that's really the ticket to win.

Wario, I believe, is a support/stock tank character. He teams well with many people, my favorite combo being Wario/MK. In doubles, sometimes it can be tough for Wario to approach because of his small-ish range. For example, in the first match on Pokemon Stadium, you would be spacing a whiffing moves against one MK, while your teammate was fighting and brawling with the other one.

What you need to do is support your teammate. Wario is very quick in the air, so that means that if your opponent is under pressure, you can move into position to apply even more pressure. If your partner is attacking someone, either A. Try and continue the hits, performing a team combo, or B. Cover your teammate's back and defend from counter attacks.

Wario is super good at punishing in doubles. Stick close to your teammate, and incorporate what I call the "Navi Strategy". It really works wonders in doubles, especially when you have a partner that you don't normally team with, therefore your synergy won't be stellar. The Navi Strategy is a creator of synergy! Basically, you stay close to your partner, not straying too far at all. Your job is to cover your buddy's back, do team combos, and score kills with farts and Uairs. Your main moves will be Nair, Dair and Fair, so you can have your kill moves unstaled for when the time comes. These moves are also Wario's low knockback moves, meaning that you can potentially hit the opponent back at your teammate, who can potentially hit them again. Now that's what I call some potential :p

A great thing to do in doubles is to acquire tires! With the Navi Strategy, you will have a lot more success with a tire in your hand, because a tire gives you a TON more range, so when you see an opening out of your teammate's hits, you can throw the tire + hit the opponent for twice the damage! Throwing a tire at someone does like 9%, it's pretty ****. Tire hits are also great ways to score fart kills!

FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! When you're sitting on your *** during a Pokemon Stadium transformation, your bike is simply SCREAMING to be brought out and broken for tires. I bet you could have gotten 4 or 6 tires during those transformations, seriously.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
For a pretty new wario, what is the most important things to learn asap. And what should i keep in mind during matches?

Also, has anyone tried utitlizing the thing where wario eats a nade for epic kill power in dubz? Me and my friend pulled off a combo where he uthrew i z-dropped the nade and ate it as they got sent up. Anyone else think about using stuff like this? After all snake can jab u to get u out of the stun anyways.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
@Kuro: The main thing for new Warios to learn imo is......hmmmm.......thinking...... okay there are a few things.

1. Nair is hella good, use it often. My videos have some good Nair stuff in there lol, good for combos, tire traps and gimping.

2. Tilting the bike backwards in the air gives you a HUGE jump, while tilting forward gives you a sucky one.

3. Wario's Fsmash is terribly punishable against pros. Only use as a kill move or damage builder when you are sure it will hit. Do not spam at kill percentage, it will not hit (generally).

4. Fart reactively. Read airdodges, whiffed attacks and small openings where you can squeeze a guaranteed fart in. New Warios generally blow at landing farts, as they are very predictable.

Be unpredictable.

5. Try and use your bike before you use your double jump while recovering. Gives you more options.

6. Don't land right next to your opponent.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
I definitely have some advice for doubles. Nicks you had awesome spacing, and you solo game is generally top notch. However this is doubles, and not singles. You and your teammate had very little team synergy, and that's really the ticket to win.

Wario, I believe, is a support/stock tank character. He teams well with many people, my favorite combo being Wario/MK. In doubles, sometimes it can be tough for Wario to approach because of his small-ish range. For example, in the first match on Pokemon Stadium, you would be spacing a whiffing moves against one MK, while your teammate was fighting and brawling with the other one.

What you need to do is support your teammate. Wario is very quick in the air, so that means that if your opponent is under pressure, you can move into position to apply even more pressure. If your partner is attacking someone, either A. Try and continue the hits, performing a team combo, or B. Cover your teammate's back and defend from counter attacks.

Wario is super good at punishing in doubles. Stick close to your teammate, and incorporate what I call the "Navi Strategy". It really works wonders in doubles, especially when you have a partner that you don't normally team with, therefore your synergy won't be stellar. The Navi Strategy is a creator of synergy! Basically, you stay close to your partner, not straying too far at all. Your job is to cover your buddy's back, do team combos, and score kills with farts and Uairs. Your main moves will be Nair, Dair and Fair, so you can have your kill moves unstaled for when the time comes. These moves are also Wario's low knockback moves, meaning that you can potentially hit the opponent back at your teammate, who can potentially hit them again. Now that's what I call some potential :p

A great thing to do in doubles is to acquire tires! With the Navi Strategy, you will have a lot more success with a tire in your hand, because a tire gives you a TON more range, so when you see an opening out of your teammate's hits, you can throw the tire + hit the opponent for twice the damage! Throwing a tire at someone does like 9%, it's pretty ****. Tire hits are also great ways to score fart kills!

FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! When you're sitting on your *** during a Pokemon Stadium transformation, your bike is simply SCREAMING to be brought out and broken for tires. I bet you could have gotten 4 or 6 tires during those transformations, seriously.
Thanks Pwneroni!!!!

You always give great advice, i will try and incorporate everything that you said :)

I do have one question though, are there any disadvantages of doing the 'navi strategy'? or should i just try and do this all of the time?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Haha thanks Nicks :D

As for the Navi Strategy, sure there's a bit of wiggle room. The reason I love teaming with an MK, is he's really quite good at handling 2v1 scenarios. When I was teaming with Viviff (local top ranked Oregon MK) against the Super Smash Twins t1mmy and t0mmy, sometimes I could just leave him on his own, pull my bike out and break it for a few tires all the way across the screen!

Keep in mind that with the Navi Strategy, one of your main goals is to be a stock tank. It takes real dedication to stay on the outskirts of the action haha, believe me I used to be the most aggro Wario in the world back in the day! (which is probably why I disliked doubles for years come to think of it lol)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Also, has anyone tried utitlizing the thing where wario eats a nade for epic kill power in dubz? Me and my friend pulled off a combo where he uthrew i z-dropped the nade and ate it as they got sent up. Anyone else think about using stuff like this? After all snake can jab u to get u out of the stun anyways.
This

Also my other question: How do u insta-crash on stage?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I have a clip of hitting a Snake with an eatsplosion in my combo video, and killed a Snake player in a tournament once! Never really teamed with a Snake that used nades before haha. It seems like Wario is completely invincible when he is eatsploding, in the clip in my CV, his Utilt goes right through me :O

I've been trying to figure out instant wipeouts for quite a while. I think it has to do with buffering a turnaround while getting on the bike. If you press over and b to get your bike out, like half a second later if you flick the stick in the opposite direction, you will instantly crash. The timing has been consistent, the window is very small though so it's easy to mess up. I found the rhythm by saying "Jim Bob" as I do it xD

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I have a clip of hitting a Snake with an eatsplosion in my combo video, and killed a Snake player in a tournament once! Never really teamed with a Snake that used nades before haha. It seems like Wario is completely invincible when he is eatsploding, in the clip in my CV, his Utilt goes right through me :O

I've been trying to figure out instant wipeouts for quite a while. I think it has to do with buffering a turnaround while getting on the bike. If you press over and b to get your bike out, like half a second later if you flick the stick in the opposite direction, you will instantly crash. The timing has been consistent, the window is very small though so it's easy to mess up. I found the rhythm by saying "Jim Bob" as I do it xD
Ill mess around with this in training. Also how do u make the bike *fall* if i just hit back it turns it around. Im pretty sure its back/diagonal opposite to the way you're going but i want to make sure. And snake is legit partner for wario imo. Me and my friend are gonna start teaming as double snake, wario snake, Pit snake, and possibly mk snake(only cuz omnigay makes me lmfao every time)

Lol @ Jim Bob.

Also, say i want the clap fresh. Which moves are good to stale on the bike. I think dtilt is too slow...would nair/dair be a "safe" and not harmful option?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Well my good sir, that depends entirely on what's up with your opponent. If they are right next to you, Nair can be a good option because you can DI away after. The second hit of Nair counts as a move slot, so if you have time you can do like 9 weak Nairs and get your moves Uber powerful :p

Dair is an interesting option. When you grind your bike with your noggin, the hitbox stays out for waaaay longer. This can be good if the opponent tries to run in and grab or something, because they will get hit. However if they have a disjoint, you're pretty much a sitting duck in the air waiting to be sliced.

SAX

Smash Ace
I usually just do ftilt.
It's a powerful move to break the bike, and if your opponent rushes in, it outranges most everything and will hit your opponent.

That's what I find to be the best.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Did anyone know that getting on the bike and riding it resets it's hp? This may seem small, but it could turn out to be a monumental thing to know! I don't know how exactly, more exploration needed.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
???

You didn't know that? That's old. It's partially why you have the infinite health bike glitch: a certain thing happens where the health is constantly resetting.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
????

Woah now. How did this pass by? Did PX/Me/Blue Shell/etc not make a post about it back in the day?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
No, I missed that single post years ago when I wasn't active on SWF haha xD

Lots of small stuff slips by it seems, it's hard to make a list because it would be a mile long list of random little tidbits and pieces of info.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
is there a video of this bike bouncing double hit thing?
and is there a video of the infinite bike health glitch?

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
how to sdi marthas side b ****?
with which moves do you destroy your bike?
is warios "forbidden technique" allowed on tournaments, or is it really forbidden?
did you know that you can bitetechchase ddd? ;D
how do you exactly do the reversed buffered dtilt after dthrow without tsticking?
mc donalds or burgerking?

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
1. how to sdi marthas side b ****?
2. with which moves do you destroy your bike?
3. is warios "forbidden technique" allowed on tournaments, or is it really forbidden?
4. did you know that you can bitetechchase ddd? ;D
5. how do you exactly do the reversed buffered dtilt after dthrow without tsticking?
6. mc donalds or burgerking?
1. keep on Qarter circling your C-stick away from Marth and fling your control stick in the opposite direction of Dancing Blade.
2.Mostly Dair and Nair. You could also Uair unless you desperately want to KO them with it.
3. Only scrubby TO's would ban it D:
4. ... :awesome:
5. I was about to ask the same.
6. Jebu-rgerking :)

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Theres an "Optimal Breaking of the Bike" secton in the AT thread, that would help with question #2 :)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Sup Warios, I had a question for you.

I'm a Link main, and it's no secret Sakurai hates Link (and the Legend of Zelda series in general) and always makes him suck. So I've been toying with the idea of picking up a secondary for some of Link's ridiculously hard matchups, in particular MK, Falco, and DeDeDe, and possibly Sheik and Fox. The only characters I'm really thinking about are Diddy and Wario, since they're both cool characters that I enjoy playing who would likely cover those matchups pretty well (and when Brawl first came out I "mained" Wario for about four months, when I didn't care about the competitive scene). I looked at the MU page though and it seemed kinda out of date, and was kinda wondering if you guys could give me some input, mostly about how accurate the numbers still are and if you guys think he'd do a good job. I figure if Wario's top tier he has to at least do acceptably well against all of those matchups; what do you guys think?

Also, I'm thinking of picking up Wario for doubles anyway since I enjoy playing as him and Link's pretty much garbage in doubles, but I really know next to nothing about who's good and whatnot in doubles matches. How's Wario stack up?

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
huggles.

picking up wario for mk and D3 is not a good idea, they are arguably his 2 worst MUs (marth and peach being his other 2 bad MUs).

however wario in teams is amazing :) G&W and MK are probs his best two team mates. he is great with diidy aswell imo.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Awesome, thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Although I am kinda sad. I really like Wario, haha, he's a ton of fun; I was kinda hoping he'd be a good choice. I guess I'm looking into Diddy for the D3 and MK mu's then. I'm probably going go be using Wario for teams at least though. Thanks guys.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Wario vs MK: 55-45

vs Snake: 50-50 (being discussed atm)

vs D3: Fom 55-45 to 65-35 depending on stage. Ban FD.

vs Falco: 50-50

All these are off the top of my head.

Top Bottom