• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't know how to instant throw tires, I guess. I can't do the stuff that Dyno tried to show me. :(

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Read the AT thread haha, tells how to do everything ;) I'd love to see more Warios using tires! They are soooo ****, I'm making a video pretty soon as a summary to the Tire Section in the AT thread (so you can get the basic idea without reading a ton, the reading is more in depth).

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Already got it recorded B. Mack ;) just gotta finish up the rest of the vid. Gonna be another installment in the How to (Wario) series, a Totally Tubular Tire Tutorial!

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
What'd y'all think about this combo I invented today? It's fricken awesome!

Uthrow tire -> Grab to Dthrow -> tire comes down and hits opponent -> Jump Instant Dthrow tire -> Instant Fthrow tire -> Fsmash
hey thats a good idea!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Wario boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Hello Wario boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!
If rob gets wario on the offensive, then rob will have an easy time shutting him down with Ftilt and annoying camp techniques.

Wario has the tools to take down rob, but i personally think that the matchup isnt about the characters, its more about how well one player gets inside another player's head and predicts/reads/baits.

rob has the tools to take down all of our approaches so spam ftilt angled upward if you want to annoy us -- expect to get fated on in return though.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I believe the matchup is 50-50. I've played against t0mmy (arguably best ROB in the world) a TON, as you can see a bunch of our matches are in the video thread. ROB has really good aerials with a lot of priority, but if Wario can bob and weave well enough, he can maneuver around ROB's hitboxes and land some good hits of his own.

ROB outranges Wario, so this matchup has to be played at a much slower pace than other matchups. He is really great on the ledge, so be careful in edgeguarding scenarios (Fair will kick your ***). If he camps on the ledge, the best he can do is stalemate or hit you with a few projectiles; don't attack him while he's hanging there, he is a shark and you are a fisherman. Wario has to find an opening before he can go on the offensive, and if ROB plays right those openings are few, far between and very small to boot. However, when Wario DOES get inside ROB's defense, he can do some serious damage. This is a big metal ROBOT we're talking about here, he is heavy and thus easier to combo, his airdodge is great but if you read it then he is pretty much doomed.

Tires are super helpful against ROB. They give you range, something that SERIOUSLY helps in this matchup, and although ROB's gyro is all around a better projectile, the proper usage of tires will net an advantage IMO.

Matchup: 55:45, Wario's favor, tires give a +5.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Idk. It's not a very exciting MU. Lots of positioning going on.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hey what videos best showcase the mk mu both from winning and losing perspectives?

If i could just get a list that would be beneficial to watch it would be much appreciated.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Pwneroni vs Nerd @ LOST3 r1

Here's an interesting one I grabbed off the video thread. This match shows how MK can kick some serious *** if he does it right (I did like 9 damage to him while he took off a whole stock AND THEN some). Wario's Fart is truly his ace in the hole: if you are able to land one, it can close the gap and make the match more even.

Nerd probably did twice the damage to me as I did to him, but since I killed him at 68% and ~100% with farts, the match was close to even and it came down to solid play at that point.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I've been thinking of picking up Wario. So I have a fairly good list of questions:

What are some big do's and don'ts with Wario?
What MUs does Wario do very well and bad against?
How well is he against MK?
Can someone name me a few top Wario's? I know of Malcolm and Reflex.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What are some big do's and don'ts with Wario?
What MUs does Wario do very well and bad against?
How well is he against MK?
Can someone name me a few top Wario's? I know of Malcolm and Reflex.
Perfect your spacing. Learn all the various set-ups and combos. Look for potential footstools. Abuse your great edgeguarding potential. Master and cherish your Down-B. Learn how to camp your *** off.

Don't ever go on autopilot. Don't try to bumrush the opponent. Don't be predictable.

Arguably 40-60. There are definitely better characters to fight Meta Knight with, but, it's not impossible.

People say Malcolm, Gluttony, Blue Rogue, Krystedez.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
No he cannot be chaingrabbed, but you can land a guaranteed Dtilt out of Wario's Dthrow at low-high percentage.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Np :) anyone know if Dair to footstool is ACTUALLY guaranteed at low percentages? If so, ****. If no, aw.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Does it benefit Wario to have tap jump on or off and why?
player dependent.

up side of tap jump: upB oos :)

Downside: you might waste your jump

if anyone else has anything to add to that, go for it. those are the only 2 things that stand out to me about this topic.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
player dependent.

up side of tap jump: upB oos :)

Downside: you might waste your jump

if anyone else has anything to add to that, go for it. those are the only 2 things that stand out to me about this topic.
Thank you. Another question, I meant to ask in my previous post. I heard Wario is good on Brinstar. Like REALLY good. Can people explain why other than it helps his amazing air game?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thank you. Another question, I meant to ask in my previous post. I heard Wario is good on Brinstar. Like REALLY good. Can people explain why other than it helps his amazing air game?
Because of his amazing horizontal aerial mobility, he can maneuver around to wherever he want quite quickly, while most characters have issues because of the stage layout.

Even if a tire misses an opponent, it won't fly off the level if it hits the stretchy stuff on the sides of the stage.

Aaaand, that's it, I think.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Np :) anyone know if Dair to footstool is ACTUALLY guaranteed at low percentages? If so, ****. If no, aw.
Apperently, you can. I saw a video of him showing it off on a DK in Training mode. The video said that it worked on other people too, it just picked DK when he started.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I have an interesting question: did anyone know that you could do a glide toss out of shield? When you are shielding with a tire in your hand, you simply press "over" to roll and from there do a standard glide toss input timing.

Tires just became the SICKEST defensive instrument. That may be the main course tires go from this point on, I've been thinking about it a lot. Traps and defense, punishing and reducing options are the strengths of tires. While they can be used for offense, they are ending up looking more useful for defensive purposes!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah. That's why Diddy Kong is a stupid character.

It does help, but, Wario wishes that his item throw animations took less time. :(

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Well that just means that it will be more situational, rather than a bread and butter sort of thing. You can't ignore that his glide toss goes a really good distance!

| Big D |

Smash Master
I like to run away from my opponent and then glide toss towards them. It works well because you're adding distance which is need for an Fthrow glide toss to work and it's kind of a mind game. You run away and all of a sudden your you're gliding in the opposite direction.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I have an interesting question: did anyone know that you could do a glide toss out of shield? When you are shielding with a tire in your hand, you simply press "over" to roll and from there do a standard glide toss input timing.

Tires just became the SICKEST defensive instrument. That may be the main course tires go from this point on, I've been thinking about it a lot. Traps and defense, punishing and reducing options are the strengths of tires. While they can be used for offense, they are ending up looking more useful for defensive purposes!
I always use tires for defense. just throw one down and do whatever attack you want. if your opponent tries to punish, they get tired. no pun intended.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

no seriously warios. we need more warios
*looks at avatar*

you trying to get inside with friendly chat then after your secret plan is complete say " *evil laugh* ahahahaha, you FOOLS, ive been working for the MK boards all this TIME! Now we shal prevail our evil plan of ruling the world"

or we can just get more warios.. :wario:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why does wario get grab released so bad? Like, why isn't it just a normal grab release
One, he is short, which causes a number of characters to air release him. His ground release is the same as everyone else's (with the exceptions of Donkey Kong, Ness, and Lucas), so if you're grabbed by another short character, as long as you don't press a jump command, you won't be air released.

Two, they just have unique animations for each character's air release, complete with unique distances that they move up and away. The programmers didn't give Wario any horizontal movement during his, so it causes him to be easily hit out of it. Unfortunate luck for Wario.

Geerz

Smash Cadet
Oh, I thought it was something about his weight and range, so he got air released. but what exactly makes something an air release or a ground release?

Geerz

Smash Cadet
Thank you Masky and Reflex, also, why does wario have two seperate glide toss distances. Because the way that I input a glide toss as diddy makes wario slide a really short distance, but if I do it a little differently he goes really far

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thank you Masky and Reflex, also, why does wario have two seperate glide toss distances. Because the way that I input a glide toss as diddy makes wario slide a really short distance, but if I do it a little differently he goes really far
Most characters have a long glide toss and a short glide toss.

If I'm not mistaken, you get the greater distance when the C-Stick and the analog stick are pressed closer to the same time.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Doesnt wario have 3 glide tosses?

really short, mid and long.

maybe im getting it confused with dacus. i think dacus has 4-5 different ones.

Top Bottom