• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I think the idea of bike breaking is that it gives you extra height, which compensates for the horizontal boost, kinda like using your DJ to 'momentum cancel'. You can't just do it at all times.

Note how DMG used it without cancelling his hitstun first, his DI was messed up already, I'm not sure his attempt to bikebreak was the reason for dying.

edit: Well, it was, but I believe this is just the kind of situation in which you shouldn't use it, since the extra height serves no purpose if you're already like, a millimeter from the blastzone.

Padô

Smash Lord
Bike breaking works if you have been sent from the left side of the stage to the right and vice-versa, in other ways it won't work because it just takes a lot of time to the foward boost to come out, it works like Kirby Rock breaking and Peach's SideB, they just take too long to come out so it only works on far distances.

Also, what Chair said is CORRECT. If you do not momentum cancel your 'break' attack won't work, try this with G&W and you will see.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's not how you bike break in the first place rofl. You do it from a greater distance. You AIRDODGE first, then Bike. Yes it works, no don't use that video to disprove it lol.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
no, i don't remember the last time i died from across the stage as wario

@dmg the airdodge just allows you to bike earlier, it in no way reduces momentum or magically makes your bike stop momentum.
its pretty clear that if the bike wasnt pulled out wario wouldn't have died

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Dude, all we're saying is that bike breaking is legit if executed PROPERLY.

Yes, in the video biking wasn't the best choice. No, this does not disprove the existence of bikebreaking. Bikebreaking doesn't mean using the bike, it means using the bike to cancel momentum.

'S like saying Bite doesn't beat shield by posting a video in which an opponent is out of range...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Exactly. The airdodge lets you bike earlier. Using bike WILL move you forward once it "kicks off" lol. In that video, it was pulled out, but not kicked off.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
So Airdodge>bike has a better chance of surviving than just Fair. Even if the I die while pulling out the bike?

meaning if i die attempting to airdodge> bike i wouldnt have had a better chance momentum canceling with fair?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Bike breaking is legitttttt! Very situational though, don't overuse it or yeah you'll be at the gates of heaven in no time!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Imagine MK's Side B breaking. It doesn't completely stop momentum, and it takes a bit to "move" just like Wario's Bike. However it clearly works in letting him live longer.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Dyno read a bit better :p you'll die faster if you pull out the bike if you like, 1 inch away from the blastzone.
Yes I understand this.

My question: Is bike breaking better than fair momentum cancel in every situation?
Mainly wanna know if its better referring to side kills lets not worry about off the top kills at the moment.
meaning if you barely die using bike breaking you wouldnt have had a chance recovering with fair. (yes i know that pulling out the bike causes you to die if you pull it out near the blast zone)

RATED

Smash Lord
I need to improve my bike game how is that thing that lets the bike in the edge really quick that gluttony and bassem does?
I'll post link later, I am on the phone right now inthe history class.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I need to improve my bike game how is that thing that lets the bike in the edge really quick that gluttony and bassem does?
I'll post link later, I am on the phone right now inthe history class.
you run off the ledge then bike towards the stage.

Jane

Smash Hero
@dynomite, well you have to remember that you dont just momentum cancel by fairing, you have to fast fall after fairing otherwise you arent momentum cancelling anything haha.
so maybe it just all depends on if you wanna recover high or low. use the bike if you wanna recover high and fair/ff if you wanna recover low

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
False. This is a mistake MANY players make, even a surprising amount of pros do it.

FFing when momentum cancelling will kill you sooner if the angle between your character and the ground is more than 45 degrees, and you don't have enough time to jump or initiate another action before you hit the blastzone. FFing only reduces vertical momentum, it has not effect on horizontal momentum, potentially FFing can give you an even worse angle that will kill you sooner.

The point of using an aerial while momentum cancelling if you don't FF the aerial is so that you can escape hitstun sooner and perform an action that will reduce your momentum (double jump, bucket, etc).
i could never word it correctly but this is what ive been trying to say

EDIT: aww my sig is too big :(

Jane

Smash Hero
False. This is a mistake MANY players make, even a surprising amount of pros do it.

FFing when momentum cancelling will kill you sooner if the angle between your character and the ground is more than 45 degrees, and you don't have enough time to jump or initiate another action before you hit the blastzone. FFing only reduces vertical momentum, it has not effect on horizontal momentum, potentially FFing can give you an even worse angle that will kill you sooner.

The point of using an aerial while momentum cancelling if you don't FF the aerial is so that you can escape hitstun sooner and perform an action that will reduce your momentum (double jump, bucket, etc).
i know that FF'ing isnt your only option, you can jump as well, sorry i should have been more clear. but i said what i said because dynomite said:
So Airdodge>bike has a better chance of surviving than just Fair. Even if the I die while pulling out the bike?

meaning if i die attempting to airdodge> bike i wouldnt have had a better chance momentum canceling with fair?
he was implying that two options are either a.) airdoge to bike, or b.) fair. and i was saying that you cant just fair to momentum cancel, you have to FF (or jump). but i only said FF because, as an olimar main, we almost never use up our second jump to momentum cancel - its too important to waste haha.

but, could you explain how momentum cancelling with a FF could be worse? im having a hard time imagining how that could be

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
i know that FF'ing isnt your only option, you can jump as well, sorry i should have been more clear. but i said what i said because dynomite said:

he was implying that two options are either a.) airdoge to bike, or b.) fair. and i was saying that you cant just fair to momentum cancel, you have to FF (or jump). but i only said FF because, as an olimar main, we almost never use up our second jump to momentum cancel - its too important to waste haha.

but, could you explain how momentum cancelling with a FF could be worse? im having a hard time imagining how that could be
none of this is necessary for my question.

is bike canceling better in all situations over fair.

nothing else.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
You travel more distance going diagonal then going horizontal.

if you go diagonal you will survive longer because it gives your more time to get your momentum back.

if you are hit by a ike Ftilt and you hold forward at, lets say 80, you will die; IF you hold up and go diagonal instead of just horizontal you will survive at 80. (simple DI)

If you Fastfall you are sent downward a little causing you to travel less distance; away from the corner.

I hope my words made sense.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
seriously or is that sarcastic?
It's both. Wario does take skill to use. Not as much as a person playing Peach or ZSS, but there are a lot of things that a Wario main needs to be skillful in in order to be successful.

As a Wario player, you don't want to be chain grabbed if the enemy can do it to him. You also don't want to be grab released since 99% of the cast can grab release him into any move, which could be fatal if you're @ high percentages on your last stock.

You'll also need to learn when your waft is at or close to it's 80% mark (which is when it's most lethal with the biggest knock back) and when/how to land it. He has good MUs in his favor but then he has really bad MUs.

Because of this, you're going to have to figure out your own style of play which suits you most comfortably. Are you going to be an aggressive Wario or are you going to be a defensive/campy Wario? Being aggressive is a double-edged sword because it could be your greatest asset but also your biggest downfall. You have to be smart on the move while playing Wario or you'll get chain grabbed (which you shouldn't be going aggro against characters who can CG you) or you can get grab released.

Campy Waribros are the safer option for most players but it requires more patience and you'll learn the ability to read your opponent and punish thoroughly on their mistakes. But there are the Waribros who are a mixture of both aggressive and defensive!

It'll be a challenge at first but you get used to it eventually. At least it isn't Peach or ZSS, right?

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
It's both. Wario does take skill to use. Not as much as a person playing Peach or ZSS, but there are a lot of things that a Wario main needs to be skillful in in order to be successful.

As a Wario player, you don't want to be chain grabbed if the enemy can do it to him. You also don't want to be grab released since 99% of the cast can grab release him into any move, which could be fatal if you're @ high percentages on your last stock.

You'll also need to learn when your waft is at or close to it's 80% mark (which is when it's most lethal with the biggest knock back) and when/how to land it. He has good MUs in his favor but then he has really bad MUs.

Because of this, you're going to have to figure out your own style of play which suits you most comfortably. Are you going to be an aggressive Wario or are you going to be a defensive/campy Wario? Being aggressive is a double-edged sword because it could be your greatest asset but also your biggest downfall. You have to be smart on the move while playing Wario or you'll get chain grabbed (which you shouldn't be going aggro against characters who can CG you) or you can get grab released.

Campy Waribros are the safer option for most players but it requires more patience and you'll learn the ability to read your opponent and punish thoroughly on their mistakes. But there are the Waribros who are a mixture of both aggressive and defensive!

It'll be a challenge at first but you get used to it eventually. At least it isn't Peach or ZSS, right?
thanks for the quick summary. I was actually readinig the thread that said "Aggressive vs Patient" so I realized there's two(three if you count mixing both) different Warios. So in the long run wouldn't campy Wario be better because like you said it'll allow you to read people and then you can capitalize off of their mistakes etc. Although I like being aggressive lol. I'll have to see which Wario I like more but as of now I think my favorite is problably mixed wario lol.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the quick summary. I was actually readinig the thread that said "Aggressive vs Patient" so I realized there's two(three if you count mixing both) different Warios. So in the long run wouldn't campy Wario be better because like you said it'll allow you to read people and then you can capitalize off of their mistakes etc. Although I like being aggressive lol. I'll have to see which Wario I like more but as of now I think my favorite is problably mixed wario lol.
Phantom X thinks aggressive Warios are the best while Masky is an incredibly campy Wario. Krystedez, like he said, goes 100% aggressive and then switches to defensive when needing to charge a waft & hold a stock.

All up to you.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
Why are these boards so dead
These boards are pretty active actually. You're just posting at 2:47 AM in the morning. Most of us Warios are out stealing diamonds since the night time is the best time to get them. :bee:

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
These boards are pretty active actually. You're just posting at 2:47 AM in the morning. Most of us Warios are out stealing diamonds since the night time is the best time to get them. :bee:
Life is hard as a wario main.

We cant all afford the million dollar houses and fancy bikes.

mainly because PX has most of the diamonds sealed away somewhere in like Europe.

Lord Chair is our only hope to bring the diamonds back.

Top Bottom