• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lol. Fiction was awhile ago, he's not nearly as dominant as he was back in the day. Larry, DSF, Tyrant, and Mike generally have a clamp on Cali tournaments.

Olimar doesn't beat Falco lol. And he doesn't do that great against MK either.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Lol. Fiction was awhile ago, he's not nearly as dominant as he was back in the day. Larry, DSF, Tyrant, and Mike generally have a clamp on Cali tournaments.

Olimar doesn't beat Falco lol. And he doesn't do that great against MK either.
DMG used to ****. Maybe one day he'll go back to his camping ways ^_^.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Wario does NOT do fine against Meta Knight or all CPs and all neutrals. Check out the matches of our better Wario's playing against Meta Knight, particularly Dojo vs DMG. DMG has great spacing, he knows how to poke, and he knows when to get away from Meta Knight and the match-up went very poorly from him. So no, again, Wario DOES NOT DO OKAY against Meta Knight.

No, you're wrong again. Go learn how to be Olimar because Olimar is one of those characters that makes your opponent's options against you just as clear as yours are against theres. It becomes a very "If A then B" match-up because Olimar is just that type of character. Brood didn't just beat M2K because M2K was caught of guard or he got lucky. He beat Meta Knight, the best character in the game, the character with the speed, range, priority, and best gimping ability in the game with Olimar - a character who is easily gimped and taken advantage of by speed and great air game. He won for a reason and it's because Olimar does better against Meta Knight than Wario does.

What's your point in even mentioning the other characters? Olimar trashed Dedede unquestionably to the point where Dedede has to change character or pick a ridiculous stage for Olimar. Olimar can handle Falco and as Wario you shouldn't even be switching unless you get taken to Final Destination by a really campy Falco. It's not even like Wario will keep that stage around if he can ban it anyway.

You arguing against me is ********. I'm not saying Olimar and Snake are Wario's only secondaries. They're his best secondaries and for good reason. Wtf? Who said Snake has advantage against Meta Knight. I said it was 45-55 which is obviously better than 35-65. Get your **** straight.

Let me tell you something about playstyle that EVERY player has. People, like the characters they play, have their strong points, weak points, and stronger points. You don't simply second a character because they have an advantage in a match-up. You do so because they compliment your playstyle or contrast your main's playstyle. Playing a character who is largely air-based like Wario then a character who is heavily grounded like Olimar is a great contrast that can let you defeat your opponent, not just their character.

I hate YOU...
lmao. man you're funny. i skimmed this post and im really glad i caught that last line LMAO

Logic would prob **** praxis in that mu tbh. He's beaten every other peach with olimar
probably, but what im saying is that if you play wario and your best secondary is oli that you PROBABLY wont beat praxis as hes pretty **** vs wario and also knows the oli mu fairly well

LOL mk is Oli's worst match up next to marth.

True dat.
peach and luigi are good vs oli too

ANYWAYS, excellence... brood beating m2k doesnt make the matchup any better for oli
X took M2k to game 5 so sonic must do alright vs MK too right?

and with that logic, fiction DID beat M2K a year ago with wario lmao.

wario vs MK is winnable, stop being a scrub and if you can't learn a 4:6 matchup, then pick up MK. (or snake)

Excellence

Smash Champion
So you think brood is on m2k levels? i understand you wanting to give the japanese players their respect I feel the same way however, M2k is the best player in the world. One tournament does not change that fact. The only other person you can say is on m2k's level is ally and maybe ADHD . However, m2k has been a machine place no worse than top 3 in every tourney I've seen and being able to win almost every single doubles tourney.

It's not 35:65. It's 60:40 MK if played right on both ends. MK beats Wario doesn't destroy him. Also what stage can MK take wario to that is a CP ? RC? Brinstar ? Halberd? Delfino ? I fail to see what stage Wario can't perform well on. So instead of talking about random stages how about you names these "bad stages". You'll be wrong about it there.
M2K is not the best player, he's not the most skilled, and he isn't on a higher level than all the other top 4 placing players (Ally, ADHD, DEHF). M2K plays Meta Knight which gives him the advantage against his opponents every game. And when you see those matches you're getting the raw example of how a match-up advantage wins you the match. That's not to say that M2K isn't good but the other players are just as good, and in my opinion, Ally is better. M2K is known for "winging it" when he does know a lot of lower tier match-ups and you see him lose them. He lost to Snakeee's ZSS, Anti's Wolf, NickRiddle's ZSS, he used to think it was impossible to beat Snake when Ally first beat him, then he thought it was impossible to beat Diddy with the right Banana set-up when ADHD beat him. He wins now because he's playing the match-ups better and his character has an advantage that offsets the skill comparison here.

MK does beat Wario 35:65. Wario should not win if Meta Knight plays right. Meta Knight can take Wario anyway that he can force him into the air and pester him while he lands. The stage needs to be small enough to let Meta Knight stay within range to punish. Battlefield, Delfino Plazza, and Yoshi's Island. Check out your typically considered "good" MKs and Ws and see which stages MK wins most on. It's going to be those 3.

ANYWAYS, excellence... brood beating m2k doesnt make the matchup any better for oli
X took M2k to game 5 so sonic must do alright vs MK too right?

and with that logic, fiction DID beat M2K a year ago with wario lmao.

wario vs MK is winnable, stop being a scrub and if you can't learn a 4:6 matchup, then pick up MK. (or snake)
It does. M2K isn't too much better than Brood and if it wasn't skill alone that let Brood win it was match-up based. On stage Olimar does fine against Meta Knight. It's only once he gets knocked offstage that he gets obliterated. Your point about Sonic may or may not be valid but if you check the Sonic boards, I think they have it as 40:60 in Meta Knight's favor which is not 35:65 (Wario:Meta Knight). You may think 5 isn't that big a difference but in this case it makes the difference between switching and not switching characters. I never said it was unwinnable, although you should not win, nor did I say that I in particular had problems with this match-up.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
M2K is not the best player, he's not the most skilled, and he isn't on a higher level than all the other top 4 placing players (Ally, ADHD, DEHF). M2K plays Meta Knight which gives him the advantage against his opponents every game. And when you see those matches you're getting the raw example of how a match-up advantage wins you the match. That's not to say that M2K isn't good but the other players are just as good, and in my opinion, Ally is better. M2K is known for "winging it" when he does know a lot of lower tier match-ups and you see him lose them. He lost to Snakeee's ZSS, Anti's Wolf, NickRiddle's ZSS, he used to think it was impossible to beat Snake when Ally first beat him, then he thought it was impossible to beat Diddy with the right Banana set-up when ADHD beat him. He wins now because he's playing the match-ups better and his character has an advantage that offsets the skill comparison here.

MK does beat Wario 35:65. Wario should not win if Meta Knight plays right. Meta Knight can take Wario anyway that he can force him into the air and pester him while he lands. The stage needs to be small enough to let Meta Knight stay within range to punish. Battlefield, Delfino Plazza, and Yoshi's Island. Check out your typically considered "good" MKs and Ws and see which stages MK wins most on. It's going to be those 3.
M2k puts more work in to the game. practice harder wins more then all of those guys combined. He has dominated almost every single tourney he's been in this year and yet he's not the best? None of those guys places as consistently he does nor do they win as much as he does. I know m2k has lost to each of these players and then he come backs and beats them. He learns the MU studys the game and improves. If MK was the reason why m2k was good then the other "better players" should pick him up and duplicate his results. I'd put a G up that they wouldn't and another MK hasn't been able to put up his results. Give the dude his respect it's not MK it's him. THe time and effort he puts into the game.

Wario does good on all of those stages. None of them are CPs and well does well on all of them. Would you care to explain how Wario doesn't do well on those stages?

[
COLOR="DarkOrange"]It does. M2K isn't too much better than Brood and if it wasn't skill alone that let Brood win it was match-up based. On stage Olimar does fine against Meta Knight. It's only once he gets knocked offstage that he gets obliterated. Your point about Sonic may or may not be valid but if you check the Sonic boards, I think they have it as 40:60 in Meta Knight's favor which is not 35:65 (Wario:Meta Knight). You may think 5 isn't that big a difference but in this case it makes the difference between switching and not switching characters. I never said it was unwinnable, although you should not win, nor did I say that I in particular had problems with this match-up. [/COLOR]
Sonic gets ***** by MK . TOo many people see one persons doe well against a good player then they go nuts and overrate said character. No one is going to change your mind if you think in your heart of hearts that the mk vs wario MU is worse than sonic's MU with MK then I'll just have to say good day to you sir.

hey guys any general advice on the wario vs link MU?
camp him
Avoid his dair
gimp him

Excellence

Smash Champion
M2k puts more work in to the game. practice harder wins more then all of those guys combined. He has dominated almost every single tourney he's been in this year and yet he's not the best? None of those guys places as consistently he does nor do they win as much as he does. I know m2k has lost to each of these players and then he come backs and beats them. He learns the MU studys the game and improves. If MK was the reason why m2k was good then the other "better players" should pick him up and duplicate his results. I'd put a G up that they wouldn't and another MK hasn't been able to put up his results. Give the dude his respect it's not MK it's him. THe time and effort he puts into the game.
The other players don't attend as many big tournaments as M2K does so you probably just don't hear about a lot of the smaller tournaments that they win. And reguardless if they're placing as consistently as he is, which for the most part they are, M2K uses Meta Knight which is the best character in the world. The small handful of maybe 8 or 9 players who can compete with M2K's skill level are being beaten by Meta Knight + A Stage. They're not being beaten by M2K alone. He is good but a lot of player will tell you that is not the best player-skill wise. The reason why other MKs can't duplicate his results is because they're not on his level. The same handful of eight or nine and beating everyone else because they're in their own league. The point shouldn't even be about M2K winning because of Meta Knight. It's about Olimar/Snake being the best two secondaries for Wario because they do well where he doesn't and compliment his playstyle.

Wario does good on all of those stages. None of them are CPs and well does well on all of them. Would you care to explain how Wario doesn't do well on those stages?
If Wario is facing Dedede, do you take him to Yoshi's Island? Obviously not because Wario will get beat. But doesn't Wario do well on Yoshi's Island? He does fine on Yoshi's Island but not when he's facing Dedede. The same can be said for the three stages I mention. Wario might do okay there but not against Meta Knight's who know what they're doing. Meta Knight isn't even the prime focus of all Wario's troubles. The point is, you should switch to Olimar who does great on Battlefield against Meta Knight and beat him there.

Sonic gets ***** by MK . TOo many people see one persons doe well against a good player then they go nuts and overrate said character. No one is going to change your mind if you think in your heart of hearts that the mk vs wario MU is worse than sonic's MU with MK then I'll just have to say good day to you sir.
You're saying this because Sonic is a crappy character. Sonic gets beaten by MK in the same fashion that Wario gets beaten by Peach. He can't approach and he has to rely on speed to punish anything she does and NOT let her take a lead. Sonic has enough to work with where Sonic vs Meta Knight is 40:60 and not 35:65 like Wario vs Meta Knight is. Wario has it worse. Go read the Sonic MU thread and see for yourself if you don't believe it from me.

This isn't like Brood's Olimar beat just some Meta Knight, he beat the best Meta Knight. And he didn't just send M2K packing he sent a number of the top placing players home with less or no money. The point being that this is the first time Olimar has been played on this level and it obviously does change some of the facts about him.

K bye

Oh I know (used to play Oli) but they don't give him as much trouble as marth and mk. They still aren't good mu's for him though.
I still play Olimar and Luigi is probably his hardest match-up because that's 65-35. Marth is only 40-60 and so are Meta Knight and Peach.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
I see the orange text on Excellence's posts and can't help but reject everything about it due to it being the same color as a certain highly opinionated Peach main's posts.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Excellence is such a ****ing idiot.

lmao but ill leave it at three simple points.

MK vs wario is winnable.

M2K is the most skilled and best brawl player.

Lee martin is also one of the top players in the nation and he plays metaknight. And gets **** on by M2K. some people think Lee is the second best MK in the nation.

Ill make it four. Olimars worst matchup is MK. M2K got outplayed. and taken off guard.

Stop seeing things as two Deminsional. Dont blame your short comings AS A PLAYER on wario. If you have trouble beating MK its because your having trouble beating MK.

Brood showed us that any character played at its peak can beat MK. he over came what some people see as a 60/40-70/30 Match up and won soundly. What a good example.

Wario MK is 55/45

Damage Points

Smash Ace
u heard it here first! agree completely with 55-45. wario can win mk just capitize and punish poor decisions make by the mk and don't be aggressive.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
u heard it here first! agree completely with 55-45. wario can win mk just capitize and punish poor decisions make by the mk and don't be aggressive.
Wafting is your best friend in this matchup imo. mix it up, dont be to aggro but dont fall in to hiding in your camping. shuttle loop is a *****. mix up your recovery as well.

practice these basics, watch some videos, read some more threads.

Maybe in a few months You will see the light.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
When you grade matchups, you assume that both players are playing perfectly at the top of the metagame. IMO, Wario vs MK is 6-4 at best. MK's range and attack speed make it really hard to land hits, and if the MK is campy and defensive then it's even more difficult. You can't rely on the other player making mistakes, which coincidentally, the MK needs to make a mistake or misspace something for you to land a fart.

The matchup is based largely on personality and playstyle. The tools are there, but it's a long and hard road to the finish line.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Matchup is 6-4 MK. I'd write walls of text (also with regards to Excellence's sudden presence) but I'd really not.

Wario does not go even with MK.

Excellence posts too much text and does so with so much contempt towards the one addressed in his posts. From what I've seen (my apologies, I haven't been able to do more than just scan your posts, lack of time (and frankly, motivation as well)) he's mostly right in what he says.

I may address this issue further in due time, for now let me just say that I'm no longer banned (as if that kept me from posting on kaak's account).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The other players don't attend as many big tournaments as M2K does so you probably just don't hear about a lot of the smaller tournaments that they win. And reguardless if they're placing as consistently as he is, which for the most part they are, M2K uses Meta Knight which is the best character in the world. The small handful of maybe 8 or 9 players who can compete with M2K's skill level are being beaten by Meta Knight + A Stage. They're not being beaten by M2K alone. He is good but a lot of player will tell you that is not the best player-skill wise. The reason why other MKs can't duplicate his results is because they're not on his level. The same handful of eight or nine and beating everyone else because they're in their own league. The point shouldn't even be about M2K winning because of Meta Knight. It's about Olimar/Snake being the best two secondaries for Wario because they do well where he doesn't and compliment his playstyle.
m2k wins small tournies and big tournies. Despite what you may or may not think about me I'm mostly in all tourney thread no matter what region to see whos win. There's also a thread that ranks their players by wins and all this other stuff and surprise surprise m2k is sitting at the top. Also winning small regional doesn't impress unless your region is super stacked. When you come to a national when all the top players are there that's an even better chance to prove where you're at. No one has put up the placing m2k has period.

If Wario is facing Dedede, do you take him to Yoshi's Island? Obviously not because Wario will get beat. But doesn't Wario do well on Yoshi's Island? He does fine on Yoshi's Island but not when he's facing Dedede. The same can be said for the three stages I mention. Wario might do okay there but not against Meta Knight's who know what they're doing. Meta Knight isn't even the prime focus of all Wario's troubles. The point is, you should switch to Olimar who does great on Battlefield against Meta Knight and beat him there.
It's not as though Wario auto loses because of YI against d3 it's just the annoying platform. It's not bad and it's manageable it's entirely up to play prefence. I'm not going to sit here and ban YI against d3 nor am I going to sit here and cry because a d3 took me to YI. The same goes for the stages you listed. ALl of which are good for Wario just because m2k outperforms him on YI means nothing. The other stages are debatble I've seen high level MKs lose on BF and delfino to Wario and vice versa. Wario also does great on BF.

You're saying this because Sonic is a crappy character. Sonic gets beaten by MK in the same fashion that Wario gets beaten by Peach. He can't approach and he has to rely on speed to punish anything she does and NOT let her take a lead. Sonic has enough to work with where Sonic vs Meta Knight is 40:60 and not 35:65 like Wario vs Meta Knight is. Wario has it worse. Go read the Sonic MU thread and see for yourself if you don't believe it from me.

This isn't like Brood's Olimar beat just some Meta Knight, he beat the best Meta Knight. And he didn't just send M2K packing he sent a number of the top placing players home with less or no money. The point being that this is the first time Olimar has been played on this level and it obviously does change some of the facts about him.

K bye
It changes nothing. Neither does Ally beating a wario with his captain falcon. You need consistent results. Taking one result and running rampant with it is beyond foolish. But do whatever floats your boat.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Stop trolling AL. Nothing personal, but there is no reason to continue that discussion.

With that, I'd suggest Excellence stops wasting effort in writing the amount of text he's writing, unless he enjoys himself doing so.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ally's beaten basically every notable Wario with CF but me or Gluttony I think. I've not gotten to play his Falcon yet.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Ally is a lot better than you. Just go Dedede and CG him. >_>

Y do you make everything sound so easy?

Have you even played ally? As far as i know Atmosk is the only person who can beat ally with ddd which is y i see him usually go mk against atmosk. You make i sound like you can just pick up ddd and grab him easily and its that easy.

Snake vs DDD is pretty much even. Alot of snake and ddd mains agree.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I see the orange text on Excellence's posts and can't help but reject everything about it due to it being the same color as a certain highly opinionated Peach main's posts.
Hahaha

Best thing I've ever seen.

saying M2K isn't the best player is a dumb thing to say
saying he's only dominant because he plays metaknight is completely moronic
This. M2K pretty much knows this game inside and out. Sure he's lost to ADHD, Ally, and Brood, but this was because they outplayed him. M2K still remains the most consistent player to this day.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Y do you make everything sound so easy?

Have you even played ally? As far as i know Atmosk is the only person who can beat ally with ddd which is y i see him usually go mk against atmosk. You make i sound like you can just pick up ddd and grab him easily and its that easy.

Snake vs DDD is pretty much even. Alot of snake and ddd mains agree.
The conversation was actually about DMG being one of the only two Warios Ally hasn't beaten with Captain Falcon. I jokingly, hence the shifty eyes, said go King Dedede and just chaingrab him. Yes, I have played Ally but it doesn't counter because it was on Aib ladder.

saying M2K isn't the best player is a dumb thing to say
saying he's only dominant because he plays metaknight is completely moronic
M2K isn't the best player. And I didn't say he was ONLY dominate because he plays Meta Knight either, although it is a large part. You're a moron and I'd like you to never reply to anything I post. Got me?

Excellence

Smash Champion
lmao M2K won tournaments with D3 for a long time

lmao.
He did win tournaments when he was King Dedede but he certainly didn't win them all. And he was only playing King Dedede back then because people believed him to dominate Snake. Which, if you remember, was the dominating character at the time. Follow the trends. M2K picks whoever has the best chance of winning.

Top Bottom