• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want a truly competitive, skill-based game?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Go play chess.

Want the latest fun video game for entertainment, socializing, and competition?

Go play Brawl.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
True...Ya people are always complaining about everything including brawl just go play and have fun jeez...

:bee::bee:w00t Smash Child lol not a n00b anymore:bee::bee:

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I approve of this thread. GG mods

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Thanks Phanna.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that every single post phanna makes is kick-***. It's ridiculous man.

Rash

Smash Ace
See, the mods here get it.

If you want to complain about Brawl's competitiveness (or lack thereof), especially in concerns to Melee (which is what most people do anyway), take it to the Melee boards.

Now that the game's been out for over a month and a half, the Brawl boards need to shift to what they're actually supposed to be about; Brawl, which is in fact the latest in kickass social, competitive, and/or party-worthy entertainment.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm glad to see a moderator coming out to try and stop the ridiculous fighting that's been going on. I think the people have spoken that, regardless of what anyone says, they want to play Brawl competitively. I think its time we give the people that chance.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
"First we file our fighters directly into the Subspace Death Cannon, thus clogging them with debris. And then the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.... Checkmate!"

Mega Cookie for Reference

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
"First we file our fighters directly into the Subspace Death Cannon, thus clogging them with debris. And then the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.... Checkmate!"

Mega Cookie for Reference
That would be the valour of love, the most commended twenty-five star general in the DOOP, none other than Zap Brannigan.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
this is the first cool thread I've seen on general brawl discussion

I like this **** alot

(I like chess, steet fighter and smash at once. amidoin'itwrong)

SanjiWatsuki

Smash Cadet
Pfft. Chess is so broken.

Let's look at the top tier Queen piece. If you look at every major Chess tournament through the years, national tournament users almost always use the Queen. The Queen has more range and priority than any other piece in Chess. Even people like Gimpyfish, who are Pawn pros, admit that the Pawn is pretty terrible.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
As much as I'd love to play Brawl for for entertainment, socializing, and competition. It fails in all these areas for me.

1) Melee is more entertaining. I just prefer games where I have options and can actually make some progress. Its way more fun seeing all the absurd things people can do that normally one would not think of or exploring all the possibilities that are there. The game allows for things like that. In comparison, playing Brawl feels like sitting in a cage.

2) Socialize about what? In Melee, we would always talk about those insane/unexpected combos that Melee was know for, some new tech to work on, or just games that are fun to watch. Theres really not much outside the game for Brawl. There are about 2 techniques worth mentioning, battles are not as fast paced and there is a lot more camping. There were battles in Melee people would go out of their way to link them to you because they were so fun to watch, yet those people don't seem to do the same for Brawl. The game is just underwhelming.

3) Competition? This has been beaten to death, I don't need to mention it.

Now, I never said that people should go play Meleel because of my opinions. Even I still play Brawl sometimes. By all means play Brawl, have fun, socialize about it, compete with it, if thats what you want to do.

However, what makes it ok to post narrow minded opinions and tell people what to play based off them? I expected more from you phanna.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
As much as I'd love to play Brawl for for entertainment, socializing, and competition. It fails in all these areas for me.

1) Melee is more entertaining. I just prefer games where I have options and can actually make some progress. Its way more fun seeing all the absurd things people can do that normally one would not think of or exploring all the possibilities that are there. The game allows for things like that. In comparison, playing Brawl feels like sitting in a cage.
Opinions are great things to have. Different people like different things. I hazzard to guess, however, that more Smash fans find Brawl the more entertaining game. Certainly, just looking at Melee now actually makes my eyes bleed.

2) Socialize about what? In Melee, we would always talk about those insane/unexpected combos that Melee was know for, some new tech to work on, or just games that are fun to watch. Theres really not much outside the game for Brawl. There are about 2 techniques worth mentioning, battles are not as fast paced and there is a lot more camping. There were battles in Melee people would go out of their way to link them to you because they were so fun to watch, yet those people don't seem to do the same for Brawl. The game is just underwhelming.
Socialize about anything. Brawl is a fanatstic game for meeting people, having some laughs and generally enjoying one's self. And since Brawl appeals to a wider demographic, it is superior in this regard.

3) Competition? This has been beaten to death, I don't need to mention it.
Indeed. Because everyone already knows that a game which more people compete is... more competitive.

Now, I never said that people should go play Meleel because of my opinions. Even I still play Brawl sometimes. By all means play Brawl, have fun, socialize about it, compete with it, if thats what you want to do.

However, what makes it ok to post narrow minded opinions and tell people what to play based off them? I expected more from you phanna.
Good grief, why must everything be taken so seriously? Lighten up.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
competetive doesn't neccesarily mean more competition. They go hand in hand. Brawl is currently competetive because it has loose competetive traits - in comparison with melee - and alot of competition. On the other hand you can get a game like virtua fighter which is ridicolously complex and unfriendly to newcomers, and that has almost no competition at all outside of japan.

I'd say they go hand in hand. But people who hate what Brawl is right now probably hate it because them competetive aspects of melee made it more fun to play between them and the people who attempted it. there are just as many people who play vf regardless of if they suck, purely as the complexity is entertaining.

that might explain why melee vets are hating on brawl, even if I think they should shut the bloody heell up and take it elsewhere, like a melee forum.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
If you get good at Brawl you'll see that it's a dodge fest and a very stale game. I'll let you guys get good and what not just to get bored and abandon Smash. Eventually Melee players will remain and make up the whole community.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the TRUE correct answer to this is: Play chess

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It's funny how people worship a moderator when he says something like this. But when a common Smashboard member says it, he's flamed to Kingdom Come.

Top Bottom