• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want a truly competitive, skill-based game?

Chairwolf

Smash Rookie
...but but Chess makes my head hurt; I don't like to think when i play games...

I like children's party games like Brawl; if you wanna beat the other kids all you have to do is pick Metaknight, Pit, or Falco and press B all the time :p

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Id play Chess over Brawl anyday.

Chess is a blast

ooh, i have an idea...

SUPER SMASH BROS CHESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem...

-__-

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I don't play a game based on if it requires skill or not. I play games based on if I think their fun. Brawl is very fun to me, I even enjoy fighting against campers since I love thinking of ways to trip up my opponents.

Chess is still however the most strategic board game I've played before, so many options. So many counters. I got actually quite good at this and could beat and probably still can beat most people at it.

Same with Brawl I guess as the only people I've played that are better then me I've found and fought online via the Friend Finder.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Go play chess.

Want the latest fun video game for entertainment, socializing, and competition?

Go play Brawl.
I perceive some errors in this argument.

Fun is subjective. As far as I'm concerned, Brawl isn't even that fun.

What one finds entertaining is based on personal opinion.

I'd rather talk to someone than "socialize" by playing Brawl.

There are many games that are more competitive than Brawl.

So basically, your argument is weak on every point.

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone takes Brawl seriously.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I perceive some errors in this argument.

Fun is subjective. As far as I'm concerned, Brawl isn't even that fun.

What one finds entertaining is based on personal opinion.

I'd rather talk to someone than "socialize" by playing Brawl.

There are many games that are more competitive than Brawl.

So basically, your argument is weak on every point.

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone takes Brawl seriously.

I'll be surprized if anyone takes you seriously.

If you like ze melee go to the MELEE BOARDS

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I'll be surprized if anyone takes you seriously.

If you like ze melee go to the MELEE BOARDS
Just because we don't like something doesn't mean that is the only boards we go to. We can talk or debate about Brawl without liking it.

"Go to the Melee boards" is such a dumb argument, if you can even call it that.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Just because we don't like something doesn't mean that is the only boards we go to. We can talk or debate about Brawl without liking it.

"Go to the Melee boards" is such a dumb argument, if you can even call it that.
dont get mad if its true, there are peeps here who just talk about how brawl shoulda been melle, so dont blame me.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
I love how overly defensive the pro-Melee/anti-Brawl people can get. It's like they all know in their hearts that most people are moving on and embracing change, but they won't accept it, so they spend all their time angrily spouting out all these technical arguments and picking apart pro-Brawl people's posts to see what else they can criticize them on.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
phanna, did you have to contribute to the already inflamed "war" with yet another inflammatory thread?

Smashboards is about Smash. Smashboards is also the dominating source of "Smash standards". If Smashboards says "Brawl will be the new standard", chances are, Brawl will be the new standard all over the world (or at least for great parts of it). Some people don't want this for various reasons (some for stupid ones like "Oh, I want wavedashing back even though I never even got all its uses down and don't even know of them", others for more educated reasons like "Wavedashing gave us tons of options which are now lost to us because of the new game mechanics").

We voice why we don't want the game to replace Melee. You might not share our views but what right do you have to tell us to stop playing Smash altogether? Some people prefer a certain kind of games, other a certain other kind of games.

At least I've never told someone to stop playing Smash simply because they play it differently from me (I'm asked certain people to go away when they prove too stupid to talk to).

dont get mad if its true, there are peeps here who just talk about how brawl shoulda been melle, so dont blame me.
There are stupid and uneducated people of all sex, creed and colors (and other groups). Don't judge everyone on the actions of a few.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Chess has too many overpowered characters for me...and you can just spam and camp in that game and win...

But why play Chess when you can play Go? Go is clearly better on so many different levels

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess all that's left to say is...

Would you like some chess with that whine?

... Ok, I'm really sorry.

Sorry.

I'm sorry.

*leaves*

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Play both you nuts. I often find myself preffering prequels over sequels with any game type depending on the series. Even when it isn't a fighting game, the mechanics don't always deepen between two games. The only thing thats sure to be added is more aesthetic and selective content. Rest assured if Smash ever gets better in a later installment you'll get all this content and more.

But well, can't have it all always. The difference between a game like Smash and say, an rpg, is that Smash is played consistently and constantly like chess. Its a game to constantly get better at, and the slightest tweak to its mechanics can destroy it in the eyes of someone who's grown affectionate to it. If you change such stuff in an rpg, its just different and more exciting, and you'll go through the game once then forget about them. But with a game like Smash or Chess, changing a game mechanic for the sake of difference can destroy what people have been practicing, gotten used to or otherwise deem flexible and exciting.

Game designers just haven't gotten to that stage of evolution yet, where they realize this. To Pink Reaper, Yuna and others... Deal with it and move on. Play both or even just the prequel exclusively. Smash isn't the only victim of such mechanic changes. You ended up with a bad shuffled hand this time round. I can name at least 5 series that've gone through problems relative to this.

Smash community is just treating it like its alien since its the first true sequel in forever and only the third game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait...

The items in chess would be... ?
Rocket Launcher, Grenades

I think they are kinda cheap and lessens the game.

...and YES! Someone else finally said the chess thing...

It truly is the ONLY good, completely balanced masterpiece of a completive game

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
White moves first.
Yet, it's not possible to create something more even,

...Also, the decision of WHO is white, and the strategy (IE: Watching the other person go first could lead onto the strategy they are working on)

orintemple

Smash Lord
I have come to the conclusion that I hate at least 3/4 of Smashboards members.

Also, I know what trolling is SiegKnight, I am more intelligent that you. You are pretty full of yourself actually. I realize this was about 2 pages ago but I didn't get on til now. But this is less important.

Trolling is ****ing stupid. Unless people actually get off to it or something, there is no point. It is almost as pointless as me making this post, but at least this post let me respond to a somewhat abusive and long winded statement made towards me. Trolling HAS NO POINT.

Not that I am saying this thread is made by a troll. Phanna is obviously not a troll. This thread is just something else entirely. Maybe a final desperate attempt by a veteran and genuinely intelligent member who is fed up with this forum's bull****.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have come to the conclusion that I hate at least 3/4 of Smashboards members.

Also, I know what trolling is SiegKnight, I am more intelligent that you. You are pretty full of yourself actually. I realize this was about 2 pages ago but I didn't get on til now. But this is less important.

Trolling is ****ing stupid. Unless people actually get off to it or something, there is no point. It is almost as pointless as me making this post, but at least this post let me respond to a somewhat abusive and long winded statement made towards me. Trolling HAS NO POINT.

Not that I am saying this thread is made by a troll. Phanna is obviously not a troll. This thread is just something else entirely. Maybe a final desperate attempt by a veteran and genuinely intelligent member who is fed up with this forum's bull****.
Your spamming to call out someone on trolling...

...Ironically I'm spamming to call out a spammer

(Spamming isn't technically the correct term, I believe it's simply off-topic posting - spamming usually refers to someone advertising)

orintemple

Smash Lord
Your spamming to call out someone on trolling...

...Ironically I'm spamming to call out a spammer

(Spamming isn't technically the correct term, I believe it's simply off-topic posting - spamming usually refers to someone advertising)
I am going to "respam" your "spam" with another "spam" by saying that this whole thread is spam by now and has no real argument going on. People are just talking about the colors of pieces in chess now. This thread never had any real argumentative or debate value to begin with. Its just a flame war.

I am really just venting at this point. Flame wars started by renowned members of Smashboards are better than flame wars started by nobodies I guess...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am going to "respam" your "spam" with another "spam" by saying that this whole thread is spam by now and has no real argument going on. People are just talking about the colors of pieces in chess now. This thread never had any real argumentative or debate value to begin with. Its just a flame war.

I am really just venting at this point. Flame wars started by renowned members of Smashboards are better than flame wars started by nobodies I guess...
Chess truly is the correct answer to this topic, as it exceeds Smashes level of competitiveness by FAR

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Also, I know what trolling is SiegKnight, I am more intelligent that you.
Wanna know why its very possible I'm plenty more smarter elsewhere? I've never put any actual effort into 99% of my posts here, if any. Theres your hint.

The only smart non troll posters I've seen here are Mookierah, AlphaZealot and JackKieser. Phanna too arguably, but it doesn't even seem like he wants to post here much, and I can't blame him.

I'm not particularly a part of smashboards per say. This is a smashboards account and I am technically a member, but not practically. So don't count me as part of the garbage 3/4... Its more like 99% but since you think a hypocritical loser like yourself is all that and a bag of chips, maybe its reduced to a smaller fraction of 3/4 in your twisted imagination.

If you're going to be self indulgent and insulting of someone elses intelligence with minimal proof, I'm allowed to be every bit as unreasonable in the exact same ways and for loosely similar reasons - in that I hate most of smashboards and think you're full of yourself in the same way you do with me, as you've proven it by proclaiming you're smarter than someone, which is a blatant, arrogant and baseless insult. Or else... you're a hypocrit. Capiche? (Its actually too late even if you say 'Yes, I understand.' as you've did it already, but I bet you won't even understand a word of this anyway.)

Top Bottom