• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Vlade

Social Outcast
Next time we want more people. Samuel counted that another 8 could've turned up, meaning we'd have a tournament with 16 players which is a lot more competitive than 8.

As soon as bob posts up the next tournament, ask your parents, don't leave it until the last minute.

Richard7

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Thanks once again to Bob for hosting and picking us up/dropping us off. Wasn't a great turnout, but I still had some fun.

This tournament made me relise something though. I either main MK/Snake, or stop playing brawl. I'm sick of losing matches because of the character I play, or losing because I'm versing lame/over powered characters. Call me stupid or dumb, or whatever you want, but this is what I have decided.

Jupz

Smash Master
So wario/Game and watch aren't good enough?? :p Oh well, thats fine. I've got nothing against snake, but MK is annoying <_<

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Thanks once again to Bob for hosting and picking us up/dropping us off. Wasn't a great turnout, but I still had some fun.

This tournament made me relise something though. I either main MK/Snake, or stop playing brawl. I'm sick of losing matches because of the character I play, or losing because I'm versing lame/over powered characters. Call me stupid or dumb, or whatever you want, but this is what I have decided.
Hey Richard, who cares its up to you after all the most important thing is having fun.

Anyway for the next tourny count me and smashkilla in.
However i might not go if i don't feel confident.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game

It's your choice but who cares if you lose? All that matters is if you have fun or not, I'm not great at the game and I don't play a high tier character, but I don't care if I lose as long as I enjoy the match. You shouldn't be playing if it's not fun, otherwise don't let a few losses get to you winning isn't that important.

Vlade

Social Outcast
^ exactly right :)

I've started encoding the Grand Finals matches. I'll do all the singles first, then I'll move onto doubles/crews later.

EDIT: Good to see that Nasch has subscribed to my youtube channel, if you all want to know when new vids are up then subscribe!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Ok guys I think I might be able to organise a venue for the state qualifiers, hopefully with TV's. I need to know how many people you guys think would come to this event?

Of course, there'll have to be an entry fee.

I'm willing to organise.

EDIT: I'm thinking the Joondalup or Whitfords library. They might have TV's and it's generally not too far away from anyone, so long as niv doesn't mind :)

We might need some extra TVs though, and we WILL need Wii + Brawl setups.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Fair enough, but don't forget Sam. Toon Link seems to be > all, which is a big upset when it comes to tiers.

Muzga

Smash Ace

Yep. thats sound logic right there!
Everyone always loses to metaknight, snake and falco. no exceptions. Thats why i win every tournament! Some things some characters do are hard to get around, and when that happens you can either john and complain until you manage to convince someone that you deserved to win, or you can deal with it and get better, in brawl there is no such thing as an automatic loss.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Okay first off..

LAME @ GOTGAMES BEING CANCELLED.. if you're unable to post to us why it was cancelled in this thread please feel free to post me as id really like to know what happened and what lessons could be learnt (if any).. That feels like a major kick in the pants.. Also thanks Vlade anyways for attempting to organise a venue etc..

Ric.. dont feel so bummed out because you are'nt ranking 1st in any tourney.. None of us have made 1st place and your argument seems flawed as you are being beaten by a toon link and not a MK/ Snake as you claim always win.. Changing your character is completely your choice, but don't feel like its your only choice.. Choosing a current top tier character in an attempt to win seems like youve already lost in my eyes.. Dont give up and dont quit.. If you want to win then choose as you will.. the main thing is that you enjoy playing and competing cause i know everyone enjoys you in our community.. imo dont let sam beat you completely.. ^_-

Vlade.. Thanks a bunch again for encoding the videos for us.. once i get the net back i will also start encoding matches.. Its good to have your recoring gear at our tourneys it helps alot and i appreciate your efforts..

Thanks to everyone who showed up including new faces (Nash, P278, Pikm5) it was great to see more people interested in Brawl and some solid competition..! Also another Olimar is always welcome.. >_< As Vlade pointed out, we would have around 16 people if we get a ful turnout, which is a major boost in player numbers and to our brawl community.. We want to see more people..! dont forget that matches are recorded and posted on you tube..! Doubles and crew battles will become much more regular, and hopefully we can start getting some east vs west meetings or friendly matchups happening on a quarterly or half yearly basis..

Ill post up the next tournament after this post so hope to see you all there..

BLAH..!

p.s- Muzga come back to us.. you girl..

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
PK BRAWL 29th March

UNITE 2 FIGHT
@ PKBRAWL!!

- SUNDAY 29th MARCH
-18 Morfontaine Parade, PORT KENNEDY
- 0458 125 4849

If possible, please bring your Wii + Brawl. This will ensure we have enough time for all the events. Anyone wishing to grab a copy of their recorded matches, please bring along any form of usb, external HD, laptop or blank cd/dvd.

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to each tournament (Brawl singles), $10 for teams ($5 each)! If you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Bob) on 0422 461 561 or let me know in this forum/via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

There is a train service running to WARNBRO TRAIN STATION for anyone who is in close proximity to one and unable to drive. We will be having pickups from the train station, so please let me know if you are arriving by train and your approximate arrival time. The train takes about 40 minutes max from perth to arrive at Warnbro.

All prizes:
80/20 1st + 2nd place

Brawl Singles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)
Hanenbow (N)
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

*(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.
*(N) signifies the stage is awesome and can be counterpicked by anyone ^_^

*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Brawl Doubles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

Melee Singles Rules:
General:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; if tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no modifications aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match.
- Prizes: 80/20 1st/2nd
- No friendlies will be allowed during any part of the tournament, unless staff relax the rules. Players caught playing friendlies during busy tournament sessions will be warned. It would be more appropriate to friendly people outside the tournament date.
- Money Matches are allowed to take place where possible.
- Spectators are welcome.

Match rules:
- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).

- Neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus

Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND. DO NOT BOTHER FOR SIGNUPS REGARDING MELEE AS THAT WILL BE A FRIENDLY TOURNAMENT.

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
Me and alan are planning something and its probably leaning in the way of going. Cant wait to rip up some *** with marth in brawl and falco in melee.

Muzga

Smash Ace
okay thats it, im gonna rip you up this tournament bob!
NOBODY calls me a girl
since you know, we live in such a mysogistic society.
Girl holds ground as a derogotary term in this day and age!
no, really! it does!:p
Im coming and not gonna sleep through my alarm this time

Pete278

Smash Lord
Thanks for hosting bob. I was really happy with my performance today.

Results (for Shaya):

1st - Corpsecreate (Toon Link)
2nd - Vlade (Falco)
3rd - Richard7 (Wario)
4th - Nasch (Diddy)
5th - Riot_Fires AKA Rawt (Olimar)
5th - P278 (G&W)
7th - Niven (ROB)
7th - Pikm5 (Olimar)

Number of entrants.... 8 :p Entry fee was $5

I'll start encoding and uploading the videos when I have some free time on my hands, can't guarantee for all of them to be done within a week though.

Crew battles were cool, even though they were pretty unprofessional since no-one really knew what they were doing except for niv :p
Just so you know, its Pete278 :p.

Jupz

Smash Master
Ok I'm trying to get a list of what characters you guys all main so can you post them pls :p Also if theres a qualifier in whitfords or joondalup i'm 90% there. I'll see about the next tourney :D

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
vlade said he may be able to host one :D

I can bring my wii/brawl no probs so if u need any spares count on me
Sorry mate, he said it was for the state qualifiers.
But that would be awesome if we could hold the tournys in either witfords or joodndalup library. I think that why we'll have much more ppl turning up and i'll always be able to go:)

Vlade

Social Outcast
Awww shame about Gotgames :(

I'd still be happy to organise a venue, just so we can get more people comfortable with the tournies and get to know all the regulars. That way we can get more faces at bob's tournaments. I'd only do it once though, since I know people will be discouraged from paying a $10 entry fee or something like that.

I'm pretty busy this week, but I'll try and get most of the singles videos encoding done by the end of the week.

I'm in for your next tournament Bob. If we could get 1 more wii + brawl that would be good, as long as niven is still happy to bring his tv and wii + brawl setup as well. I'll bring my recording equipment too :)

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for hosting again Bob. Looking forward to the next tournament. It's nice to have them reasonably close to me for a change.

No big deal to me that it was cancelled. I doubt I would go to Joondalup. <_<

I don't think I'll bring my TV and Wii to this tournament Vlade. I've done it for every other tournament so I don't think I should this time, just out of spite. >,>

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I'll bring my TV and Wii to this tournament Vlade. I've done it for every other tournament so I don't think I should this time, just out of spite. >,>
LOL gotta love spiteful remarks.. Yeah well having 2 tv's works well if we can get everyone here for a 12 or 12.30 kickoff.. last tourney we finished at around 2.30ish after a 1pm start time.. So overall it went by fairly quickly but a 3rd tv would help, although i dunno if people might get discouraged because of 2 decent sized tv's and one awsomely small one.. i know i would.. >_< but hey i complain over no surround sound and no high def cables..

Muzga stop making excuses and start coming to our tourneys..! i need your number again to harass you at 6am just so you actually make it this time..

For the record (Jupz?) i main Olimar and go by the name of Rawt.. hope that helps with your list.. Also everyone who hasnt subscribed for the email newsletter that is currently available i would suggest you do..! help support your smash scene nation wide and keep upto date with whats happening in our brawl community.. Thanks mic for aiding in its development also, its nice to see our very own WA texture bandit throwing some punches for us.. ^_-

BLAH..!

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Even if we don't use my TV in the tournament we can use it for friendlies before and after the tournament. It doesn't bother me if it goes unused. It's no hassle to bring it just in case we do use it.

Jupz

Smash Master
If it's on a saturday I can't go :( basketball :(

I should have just come to the last one instead :(

Hopefully theres one in the holidays cause I should be able to go then.

Also this state qualifier what will that be like? Won't it be kinda like a tourney?

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
Awww shame about Gotgames :(

I'd still be happy to organise a venue, just so we can get more people comfortable with the tournies and get to know all the regulars. That way we can get more faces at bob's tournaments. I'd only do it once though, since I know people will be discouraged from paying a $10 entry fee or something like that.

I'm pretty busy this week, but I'll try and get most of the singles videos encoding done by the end of the week.

I'm in for your next tournament Bob. If we could get 1 more wii + brawl that would be good, as long as niven is still happy to bring his tv and wii + brawl setup as well. I'll bring my recording equipment too :)
Vlade, when will this be happening? Anytime soon?
Why would it be a $10 entry fee?

Vlade

Social Outcast
It's possible I have a concert on the 29th to perform at, but I'm pretty certain it's on the 22nd.

@ Jupz: This tourney is on a sunday. So come down.

Let's try and make this tourney a good turnout.

@ Ravener: It would be a $10 entry fee to cover the costs of hiring out the venue, + another $5 to enter brawl singles.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Ahoy, sign me up for the singles - anyone that is planning on taking last spot has got some serious competition ;)

But seriosuly, it'd be cool to catch up with everyone and see how much better everyone has gotten, I'll see yous there. I'll speak to Rawt about any additional equipment that I can help out with.

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
Looks like I can come to the next tourney if i can keep my grades up, can't be that hard lol.
I'll probably bring a couple more friends to the next one as well.
And someone needs to bring a wii that they haven't updated so we can play Vlade's TvC.
Pretty please? lol

Top Bottom