• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Josh is bringing his Wii/Brawl, just got off the phone with him, and I think he's taking a mate as well.
Still anyone who brings a bag with them, put a wii/brawl in it, it's not hard :p

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Hows this for bad luck.

In Anarchy Online (the MMO that I play) theres the hardest boss in the game and its name is "The Beast". Now in this game, there enemys Health bar is seperated into "blocks" of hp, so the entire HP bar of the boss has some number of blocks that its seperated into. The amount of blocks depends on the amount of HP the boss has, in this case (being the final boss and all) there are a lot of blocks, roughly 40. Now I have figured out a way to solo this boss without actualling being at my computer, I just have to set a macro to run and it goes ahead and kills it.

Now this is where basic elementary maths comes into play. Based on my damage output, each block takes approximately 4 minutes to go down and with 40 blocks then that takes a total of about 160 minutes to kill the entire boss. 160 Minutes is 2 hours and 40 minutes. The next important piece of information to consider is that this boss has an ability to heal and the healing is somewhat randomized (I could tell you exactly how it works buts it not really all that important). Basically when the boss hits 75% of his HP theres a 1/2 chance that he heals up an extra 5 or so blocks. The same thing happens at 50% and 25% of his HP. So if you work it out, the chance of it not healing a single time is 1/16 which is 6.25%

SOOOO this means that if the boss doesnt heal once, then he would take 2 hours and 40 minutes to kill. Although this is unlikely to happen so its safe to say that it will take longer than that. I should also mentioned that when the boss dies, you have 30 minutes to loot the corpse before the body disappears or 'rots'. Now yesterday I was killing "The Beast" using this method and it took me (i timed it) 3 hours and 20 minutes to get him to 1/2 a block remaining. Now remember, 1 block takes 4 minutes to go down so then 1/2 a block takes 2 minutes. So the boss is 2 minutes from death. Now I am still having trouble getting over this part mentally but it JUST SO HAPPENS that at 1/2 a block remaning....the entire Anarchy Online servers suddenly crash for no real reason. Everybody from the game crashed including myself. Now what does this mean? It means that the boss is 2 minutes away from dieing and I am unable to kill it.

Now, this boss is in an instance and the only way to keep this particular instance would be for me to team up with someone (you have to be in a team) immediatley after I re-login, otherwise the game will recognise im not in a team and I will be kicked out of the instance. So I try to log back into the game as fast as possible only to get the message "Error - Player is already logged in", I got this message because I didnt log out properly since I rapidly crashed out of the game. So here I am spamming the login button constantly getting this message and then I decide that maybe I should close the launcher and re-open it (this sometimes fixes this problem). Baaaad mistake. Every so often (I simply cannot figure out why this happens... its a vista problem :ohwell:) after I close the Anarchy launcher I cant re-open it without restarting my computer. So im like "OMG IF I DONT LOG IN FAST I WILL GET KICKED OUT OF THE INSTANCE". So I immediatley recognise that this problem has occured and so I restart my computer without delay.

Upon getting back to the desktop, I open up the launcher and yay I dont get the error message anymore. I log in and......................................Poof, kicked ouf the instance. So what does this mean? It means that re-entering "The Beast" room will have a new beast, with full HP and I have to start allllllllllllllllllllllll over again from the beginning and this has happened because the game just so happened to crash for no reason when the boss was 2 minutes from death.

Ok. Now. That happened yesterday. Today in my opinion is even more ridiculous and it makes me want to cry. The chance of a combination of unlikely events that all happened in the way they did is so slow that it depresses me. Lets start shall we. I should also mentioned that once The Beast is killed, you are unable to kill it again for another 9 hours.

11:30:20, 11:30:21, 11:30:22...

I set myself up for a beast kill in which I solo it. My older brother today has decided to go out and test out some T.V's that he is interested in buying and he wants me to go with him to test out Input Lag in smash melee. I tell him, Hold on, let me get my beast Macro running so I can kill it while we're out testing this stuff. Knowning that Richard will be home and I know that if something goes wrong (which it shouldnt) then Richard can deal with it or ring me and I can direct him to what to do.

12:01:04, 12:01:05, 12:01:06...

I get the macro going, I start my stopwatch to keep track of beast kill time, I go get changed and am ready to leave. We pack up the wii and all the cables etc and we go out.

1:53:31, 1:53:32, 1:53:33...

We have 3 different T.V's that we need to test out, each of which are at different stores. The first store by this time we have already tested and the lag was bad and so we went to the next store. By this time, we have tested this T.V and have found that it is good for almost everything except that it doesnt have some features that my bro is looked for. The guy there at the store keeps us with him trying to get us to buy this gimpy T.V and basically says that the next model up (the one my bro wants) is out of stock everywhere in every store and nobody will be getting any of them in stock for another 4-6 weeks. My brother and I know this isnt true, he just wants us to wait for 4-6 weeks so we buy it from THAT store so THEY get the money. Knowing this, we head to "The Good Guys" for our final visit.

2:40:56, 2:40:57, 2:40:58...

By this time it has been 2 hours and 41 minutes through killing the Beast. Now I know that if im super lucky and the boss doesnt heal once then Beast would have just died 1 minute ago meaning I have another 29 minutes to loot it. In the back of my head I'm saying "the chances of beast not healing once is so low its not even worth considering". Although I wasnt satisfied with that and so I decided to ring home to see what was going on. Ring....Ring.....Ring... no answer. I ring again.... No Answer. Now you have to understand, the chances of not a single member of my family being home is just crazy low, theres ALWAYS SOMEONE home. Ok now I am worried but my bro still has a few things he needs to test and I let the "chance of beast not healing is so low" logic to keep me going.

3:01:24, 3:01:25, 3:01:26...

We are in the car and just started heading home. I know I have 30 mintues before the corpse rots and I also know that a chance of 6.25% of it being dead at 2 hours and 40 minutes is super low.

3:18:58, 3:18:59, 3:19:00...

I arive home and the first thing I shout out is "anyone home??", and I see Richard in the room and I ask "why didnt you pick up the phone when I rang?" and he said that he was in the shower at the time and didnt hear it. I rush to computer while im asking this and I see on my screen that I am not fighting Beast (so its dead) and that there is no corpse (so it has rotted). DAMiNIT! I think to myself I cannot believe that richard was in the shower from the time I rang him until now roughly 45 minutes and I also wonder how long ago it rotted. I can check when it rotted by knowing when it died, and I can check when it died by knowing how long it is until I can kill beast again (remember there is a 9 hour lockout). I type in /raid locks and the time is shown....8 hours, 26 minutes, 57 seconds.

..........................................................This means that beast died 33 minutes before I checked this timer. Which means it rotted 3 minutes ago. Which means that the super low chance of 6.25% JUST SO HAPPENED to happen. Now I didnt think of checking the /raid locks until about 2-3 minutes after entering the house. THIS MEANS THAT I WAS LITERALLY 30-60 seconds LATE and because of this I am now locked out of the beast for another 9 hours AND I missed ALL the loot.

.............. /wrists ..... ????

tehers a few garmmar miskates but i dnot crae enuogh to fix tehm. it mkaes the sotry a ltitle mroe intersting!

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I don't know weather to feel bad for you, or just laugh.

I think I'll take the first because I know how it is..&$#! MMO'S!

Edit: WTF I just got an urge to play Maple Story, I haven't touched that in a good 3 years.

Vlade

Social Outcast
If possible, I'd like to have 8 Set-ups for this Sunday to ensure that the tournament runs on time and so that you guys will have more opportunities for friendlies.

I'll ask my dad if I can bring 2 TVs of my own, but that doesn't mean you can slack off! I strongly urge anyone who's coming down by car to make the effort to bring their TV. I would really appreciate it.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I've decided to change my mind about how I'm going to run the WA Tournament Series Rankings Ladder.

This is the point breakdown

1st: 24
2nd: 18
3rd: 14
4th: 10
5th: 6
7th: 4
9th: 2
13th: 1

I like this method more :)

EDIT: Scratch that

This doesn't account for the number of entrants at each tournament. For example, it is more difficult to win a 50-entrant tournament than a 32-entrant one. The previously proposed system DOES account for this factor however, so I'm going to stick with it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Cheer up Sam, it could be worse.

Like a lot.

Like a LOT

Like this.

I'll be bringing my Wii as per usual. Niv won't be coming so don't count his stuff :c

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
1.5 hrs @_@ Where the heck does he live lol.

And yeah I read about that as well, that's just stupid. Here's my hint before they do it next time, coffee, lots of it.

Still I'm totally aiming for top 10 in this tourney.. Watch me get last =D.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
1.5 hrs @_@ Where the heck does he live lol.
Mandurah

And yeah I read about that as well, that's just stupid. Here's my hint before they do it next time, coffee, lots of it.
18 hours needs more than coffee. That's not 18 hours of fun gameplay, that's 18 hours of sitting, staring intently at the screen, making sure you press the right buttons at the right time, non-stop for eighteen hours. Say they started bright fresh and chipper at 9 am, they would have been going insane by 3am when they gave up.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Obviously no one has heard about the 50 million hp boss in FFXII. lol.

Although two different types of games, I respect Square for making a boss that couldn't be killed in FFXI.

Just tells those guys they need to powerlevel more.

Sieg

Smash Champion
You talk as if those days are gone.

13 looks awesome. I've played the Japanese demo and it's fantastic even though all I could do was attack.

And with 14 coming out soon, all new MMO awesome times.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Although Korean grind fests aren't particularly exciting_ They look pretty but end up murdering you quietly as you spend hours killing the same mob for drops or quests or drops then quests then mats then dailies_ You get my point_

Vlade is right in one aspect_ FFVII was a big stepping stone and a game many of us hold dear to our hearts_ I don't think Square will ever be able to make a game that outweighs how impressive FFVII really is_ That said, i always did love FFIX_ Jealous of you Seig i wanna play FFXIII_

Sieg

Smash Champion
IX? Urrgggh my most unliked one lol. Although Chocobo Hot and Cold was the greatest minigame ever created behind FFVIII card battle.

The list. (Aka my list)

VII
IV
X
VI
VIII
Then the rest are about equal. I, II, III, V
Then XI.

lol.

Can you explain your loss of hope for watching the game? Please.

Because the way they've tooled it makes it alot better than XII.

Do tell me.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I didn't enjoy FFIX or FFX and didn't even finish those games :( Since then I've never been as excited about the Final Fantasy series so I have not given the opportunity for upcoming games to rival FFVII and VIII.

It's like playing the Ace Attorney series for DS. They were the first games I played when I got a flash cart and since then, no other game has lived up to its quality (apart from a select few) hence why I'm not as excited when I start a new DS game :/

Sieg

Smash Champion
I don't know why people complain about X so much. It was a great game, and the first to fully utilize the PS2's capabilities.

What was wrong with it? Other than the last boss, it had an epic storyline, a very good battle system, interesting characters, Blitzball. I could go on.

Having played every single FF game that has been released (Cept for 11, which at the time I didn't have a credit card for) I feel like people push alot of silly hate onto the games.

Just like how fanboys have made people turn their heads from VII.

swordsaint

Smash Master
X was fantastic. Cept for 7 it was probably the best I've played IMO.

Couldn't stand 12 though, pretty bad game.

X2 was great imo as well lol. I really enjoyed that one.:laugh:

Muzga

Smash Ace
Reverse the points.
35 people show.
first = 35 points
last = 1 point
how about this..
first=1 point
last= 35/however many people entered the tournament
the person with the lowest number of points is first. the person with the highest number is last
the scores are calculated depending on your placing
If a person misses a tournament they gain 10 points

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
My ranking would go like this.

VIII
VII
X
IX
X2 (worst music and storyline ever, only the battle system kept me goin)
V
XII (correction, this has the worst storyline ever)

Never really played VI enough to give it a ranking :p VIII and VII imo are very close to being as good but I have to say I like VIII better overall but only by a tiny bit!

swordsaint

Smash Master
@ Muzga.

At first glance it could work, but in practice probably not.

My reasoning is this:
Without the "reversal" of points the same top players will always have the minimum points available despite the size of a tournament. This is only doesn't consider the size of the tournament and the lesser players will always be closer than they should, whereas reversing the point takes in to consideration the size of the tournament when applying points to the top players instead. Meaning, they beat more players, they get more points. Not, you lose twice you get put 35 points behind first place in a single tournament. Doing it this way also means you don't need to consider who turns up when, because it's irrelevant.

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
@lord bowser. I read that game name. Just forgot it. Went out of my memory for sometime then came back after talking to someone from here on msn. MAkES SENSE.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
@Elton Not at all

Still on the topic of FF I think my list has to go
FFVI
FFIX
FFIV
FFVII
FFVIII
FFV

Never played 1-3 or 10+ that much so can't really rank them. Still yes I'm a FFIX fan, shoot me :p. I'm actually playing through FFVI again atm. And Sieg, I've already passed the SNES version and GBA version of IV and I'm at the last dungeon on the DS version.

Sieg

Smash Champion
DSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS VERSION.

Is good. I love my 3D Rydia.

Now I feel like playing a couple again.

*runs off*

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
4 was good until I got to the dungeon
where you go to get the girl back.
got really far then batteries went out. Was pissed and haven't been back to it.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Heh Mic I got to the last dungeon on DS was doing the whole 100% map thing, got to the floor before a save point, opened up a chest and got annihilated. I lost a good 2-3 hrs of work, havent played it since :p

Sieg

Smash Champion
Just realise that leveling in the DS version is so much easier.

Good luck defeating Zeromus without Excal dupe in the proper version. Good times.

Batteries is your own fault lol. I've learnt the saving lesson so many times it's not funny. Especially when I was playing Rogue Galaxy.

Top Bottom