• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

TunaInTheBrine

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys!!

I'm really sorry I haven't been at the last few! I can't make it tomorrow either :( **** uni, assignments have just been relentless.. My exams finish on the 20th of November so I should be free after that.. I'll try to pop in tomorrow for a while as I think my group assignment thing should finish around 12, but I won't be able to participate in the tourney.. bleh I feel horrible for not coming to *another* one :( sorry! I haven't heard from Jon for a while either, so not sure if he'll be there tomoz- I'll try to contact him about it though. Keep up the good hosting and such though guys =).. the crew battle sound like an awesome idea XD

Dan

(ps I still owe you 5 bucks Andre.. I haven't forgotten! =p)

Vlade

Social Outcast
Thanks for hosting again andre, unfortunately my rise to the top came to a halt against jon :p.
Hopefully everyone will have finished their exams ready for the niv's tournament because only 8 people showed up today! It was still awesome fun though.

Anyway hope you get your new computer andre, and everyone needs to hurry up and finish their exams for the next tourney!

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for hosting Muzga. It's a shame about the turnout. =(

Congrats to Sam (again <_<) and well done to Ric for winning 1/3 sets against me to steal second. X)

I will be holding the next tournament on the 22nd of November. Melee singles, Brawl singles, Brawl doubles, crew battles, Ganon challenge and Guitar Hero on the side. (as requested by Jon) Hopefully we can get enough Wiis together. (5+ preferably)

Official details later!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
dont worry - for some reason attendances have been sucking nationwide recently, but it seems like things will pick up again

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Are you guys going to be awesome and help the Australian community out and post the tournament results? :_:

i.e. Number of Attendants, the top 8, and the characters they used. Also the entry.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey dudes sorry i missed out on yesterdays tourney.. Had some **** i had to sort out regarding a MASSIVE SECRET PLAN im doing for babbs but i should be thunderbirds are go for Nivs big tourney.. Hope to see some bigger numbers cause everyone is improving massively..

Ill try to drag Cal back out from his hole but it looks like im the last one left of the PK lads which is unfortunate.. Jus a thought though.. Will we be recording this tounrey..? I ask this because our last few tourneys have been recording free and the videos were a nice addition to any brawl fest and a good reflection for players to look back and see how they (and others) went in there matches..

I can try to grab Cals analog recorder off him and put some stuff on my external HD but we will need more than one compy to do this and people who are willing to upload the videos seeing the last few smasheroo videos went AWOL.. So hopefully we can make this crew battle a big deal with some camcorder footage, recordings of ALL the battles and some big numbers to get that competition really pumping..

Hope to see you all there with fire in your eyes and blood on your hands..

BLAH..!

p.s - in reply to shayas post.. are you asking for the overall tourney top 8..? or more for the rundown after each tourney we hold..? Ill leave this 'top 8' ladder to someone elses discression..

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I have no recording equipment of my own, but I could tape some matches on my VCR and give the tape to someone who has the equipment to capture it. I know Bringer has a capture card so I could see if he can bring it. Camcorder recordings are awesome since they capture the atmosphere of the tournament. <3

Vlade

Social Outcast
Are you guys going to be awesome and help the Australian community out and post the tournament results? :_:

i.e. Number of Attendants, the top 8, and the characters they used. Also the entry.
Muzga's computer is dead at the moment, so when he gets back online he'll post the top 8 etc, although I'll just warn you that 8 people entered the tournament.

I agree with Bob, I would really like my matches recorded next tourney. I'm thinking of buying a gamebridge but they're pretty expensive right now and although Dazzle is cheaper, the quality is horrible. Also if possible, I wouldn't mind bringing down my External HD and putting the videos on there, since I have a quite a bit of free time on my hands these days and I can upload them so long as I have enough internet usage left. I don't think I could bring my laptop on the train though. The next tourney would be awesome if we can get the numbers.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
1st - Corpsecreate (Toon Link)
2nd - Richard (ROB/Diddy/Wario)
3rd - Niven (ROB)
4th - Jon (Snake)
5th - Vlade (Falco)
6th - Muzga (MK)
7th - Glenn (MK)
8th - Matt (DDD)

Entry fee was $5 as usual. There was 8 entrants total (lol).

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
ouch only 8 people showed up...? sad times.. im hopin after uni etc our numbers can be boosted back up.. Also it seems sam is quite fond of postin the tourney results heh.. ;) I think Ric has made a massive bounce lately and hes one ive got my eye on in recent tounraments, especially from the beating i got from his diddy kong last tourney, but i guess payback was bound to happen..

BLAH..!

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
M.A.S.T. 2 Smash with acronyms!

M.A.S.T. 2

*** Saturday 6th December (Hopefully <_<) ***

*** 4 Leeton Close - Halls Head ***

If possible, please bring your Wii + Brawl. This will ensure we have enough time for all the events. Thank you. =) Colours are fun. <_<

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to each tournament (Melee and Brawl singles), $10 for teams ($5 each), ALL OTHER EVENTS ARE FREE! If you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Matt) on 0433 402 448 or let me know in this forum or via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

All prizes:
80/20 1st + 2nd place

Melee Singles Rules:
General:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; if tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no modifications aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match.
- Prizes: 80/20 1st/2nd
- No friendlies will be allowed during any part of the tournament, unless staff relax the rules. Players caught playing friendlies during busy tournament sessions will be warned. It would be more appropriate to friendly people outside the tournament date.
- Money Matches are allowed to take place where possible.
- Spectators are welcome.

Match rules:
- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).

- Neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus

Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED

Brawl Doubles Rules:

Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

Brawl Singles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)
Hanenbow (N)
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

*(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.
*(N) signifies the stage is awesome and can be counterpicked by anyone ^_^

*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Crew Battle Rules:

TBA

Transportation:

If you are taking the train I can organise pickups if you call my mobile (0433 402 448). It would be much easier if people arrived around the same time.

Equipment:

I will hopefully have 5+ TVs running for this tournament. I am asking for people to bring Wiis, Brawl discs, Melee discs and GC memory cards. (with everything unlocked of course) It would also be awesome if people could bring their recording equipment. Vids are awesome. ^_^

Checklist:

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Melee entrants:

Niven

Brawl doubles entrants:

Partner-less:

Brawl singles entrants:

Niven

Crew Battle entrants

North of the river:

South of the river:

Niven

Vlade

Social Outcast
Um just prewarning, I can't stay at the tourney past 4pm, but otherwise count me in every tourney. What time will it all start? It would be preferable for an earlier start since you are having so many events.

Anyway count me in for Melee singles (this time I have the guts!), brawl singles, crew battles (north of the river) and brawl doubles (I think I'm teaming with confound, but I aint sure if he's available yet). However if any of the events start after 4pm then I will have to pull out of them.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Hey guys just wondering, is there any specific reason every tournament is held on a saturday, or is it just that way because it is?

Vlade

Social Outcast
Well my views on having it on a saturday:

Advantages: Public transport is more frequent (compared to sunday)
More people seem to be free on saturdays?
Some people probably think that sunday is a day to relax

Disadvantages: I have to miss out on badminton (lol)

Quite personally I would rather the tourneys to be on a sunday, but they have always been on a saturday. If we change the day then it may limit attendances.

Confound

Smash Rookie
hey n1v, put me down for brawl singles, and doubles with vlade(woot go vlade!) and crew battles-south si-eeeeeed(DIE vlade!)
i'll bring 2 tv's if needed again

Muzga

Smash Ace
I have a new computer so im an actice member again!
The only reason we hold these on saturdays is tradition:p ive got no problem holding a sunday tourny
Add me to all the singles and the crew battles. ill be playing for north of the river. if i can find a partner/if bob or eric still wants to partner with me ill be glad to join the doubles as well.

oh, and nivvy, if youd like to hold something a bit bigger in january id be glad to help organise/pay for stuff like a venue. if you want to discuss it and you use msn, ive pmed you my email.

Richard7

Smash Ace
Hey guys. What character do you guys reackon I play best with? Because I really need to find a main lol. Its out of Diddy, Wario, R.O.B., MK, Lucario and G&W. I don't play Snake or Toon Link, but i'm also considering maining one of them :p

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Wario. He was the one that gave me the most trouble at the last tournament.

Granted that I haven't played against you much (or even seen you play as some of those characters) but I would say your Wario is your best rounded character. You would probably be best off picking 1 or 2 secondaries that compliment who you choose and your playstyle for counterpicks.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I recommend you should play diddy, coz he's quite unique imo and u seem pretty solid with him. If you learnt how to play him exceptionally well you'd dominate. Plus, nobody else plays him. Otherwise wario is always an interesting main. It's all down to personal preference (although I know you don't prefer any of them over the others lol)

Richard7

Smash Ace
Thanks for the replies guys. I still don't know who to main though, its out of the ones I mentioned in my other post. I don't know why, but its just so hard to decide. Any secondaries I choose will also be out of the characters I mentioned in the other post. I also need to work on counterpicking stages. If I found a main and worked on counterpicking, I reackon i'd stand a really good chance against Sam, maybe even beat him. How nuts would that be? Sam not being the winner at a Perth tournament!?

On a unrelated topic, you play a good R.O.B. N1V. You're good at hitting with his bair and dair. Also good at keeping the oponent away by using down B and neutral B.

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Dair sucks. <_< Worst dair in the game. Bair is too good though. Combo starter, spacer, gimping, punisher, edgeguarding... very versatile. =)

If you're going to main Diddy you need to use more bananas. You hardly used them against me on a stage where it is difficult to pick them up. Banana combos are raaaape.

Richard7

Smash Ace
Dair sucks. <_< Worst dair in the game. Bair is too good though. Combo starter, spacer, gimping, punisher, edgeguarding... very versatile. =)

If you're going to main Diddy you need to use more bananas. You hardly used them against me on a stage where it is difficult to pick them up. Banana combos are raaaape.
Yeah. The main reason why I don't use bananas much is because I don't know any techniques with them. Look at vids of people that main Diddy and actually know how to play him, I hear he's deadly.

On the R.O.B. topic, I meant you hit with his bair and dair quite a bit. I play R.O.B. a bit and when i'm versing Sam at home, I hardly ever hit him with those moves. Same as upsmash. But then again, I am versing Sam :p

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
You just need to get used to the retardness of bairs timing and momentum. Once it is second nature you will find so many situations for it. Usmash on the otherhand is extremely situational. You should *never* try to land it if the opponent is not on a platform above you. The hitbox is too small. People can see it coming a mile away but if they shield it you usually remain unpunished. If you're lucky sometimes you will knock them off the platform and put them into the falling animation which gives you a free fsmash/grab/whatever. =) Glidetoss to usmash under a platform is probably the easiest way to land it.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Aww what a pain. I now realise I have a badminton comp on the 22nd of november. Sorry niv but I can't enter this one :( I was really looking forward to the crew battles and melee as well :(:(

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I'm seriously considering pushing the tournament back another week. With a couple of drop outs, nobody signing up and my golf on in the morning (won't get home until 11:30 at the earliest) I think it would be for the best.

Ah hell, M.A.S.T. 2 is officially pushed back a week to the 29th. :(

Richard7

Smash Ace
I'm seriously considering pushing the tournament back another week. With a couple of drop outs, nobody signing up and my golf on in the morning (won't get home until 11:30 at the earliest) I think it would be for the best.

Ah hell, M.A.S.T. 2 is officially pushed back a week to the 29th. :(
Yeah I think this'll be a good idea. Just wondering, are you aware of the changes to tournament rules? If so, are you going to use them in this tournament?

I think the new rules only removed stages that you could use for counterpicking. You can find it here.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205140

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeah I think this'll be a good idea. Just wondering, are you aware of the changes to tournament rules? If so, are you going to use them in this tournament?

I think the new rules only removed stages that you could use for counterpicking. You can find it here.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205140
Lol you beat me to it :p

At least I'll be able to participate in MAST :D I'm very happy about that now. I heard that TEE only finished last friday at least. So yeah maybe everyone will be off exams for this tourney.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

TunaInTheBrine

Smash Rookie
Ok, that works =p I think I have an induction day this saturday anyway =s.. Put me down for for the 29th, brawl singles and doubles.. I'm pretty sure Jon will be coming for that too, I'll double check and get back to you.. thanks for hosting Niv!

EDIT: ok I'm horribly wrong I can't make it that weekend >_<

EDIT 2: ok maybe I can, I'll get back to you.. lol

Top Bottom